Photo

It has been awhile...(2013 Starting Roster Discussion)

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#1 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Forgive me for starting a new thread but assuming the NHL and PA compromise for a Jan. 19th start what is the team looking like? Its been awhile and we are still looking at the departures of Poni and Parise. Along with that I don't know if Volchenkov and Zajac (I think he is injured) are recovered from their injuries.

Right now:

Kovalchuk - Zajac - Zubrus
Elias - Henrique - Clarkson
??? - Josefson - ???
Bernier - Gionta - Carter

Greene - Larsson
Tallinder - Fayne
Salvador/Volchenkov - Zidlicky

MB
Moose

Barch and Janssen are not going to be 3rd liners and shifting 2 of the 3 4th liners up is risky, plus gives us a crappy 4th line.

On the D, too me Fayne/Larsson should be ready for top 4 roles, add in Greene/Tallinder/Zidlicky and then one of Volchenkov/Salvador to top it off. In the end I think the D corps are fine for this year (if we have a season). Nothing spectacular but a strong top 6 from top to bottom.

I'm just trying to see the team and how we are looking. Obviously, keeping Ponikarovsky would of been awesome.

If Lou doesn't make any transaction I would guess a 3rd line of:
Tedenby-Josefson-Butler

I'm comfortable with JJ but those wingers are worrisome defenseively.

Any ideas?

Edited by Mayday, 01 January 2013 - 10:54 AM.

#2 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

Zajac's not hurt, Henrique is and probably won't be in the lineup at the start of the season. Butler seems to be doing well down in Albany so he could fill one of the ? positions up front. Maybe they re-sign Sykora or trade Tallinder for another winger, though Volch's injury and the shortness of the season probably compels them to hang with eight D for a while until the deadline at least.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#3 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

I'd shy away from Sykora. Is he playing anywhere currently? Yeah, maybe it's time for those legs to rest, but he was looking slower and weaker every passing game this year. I think Tedenby has a henrique-like year (maybe more of a Bergfors-like year before we traded him?). I can see him sneaking into the top-6, or potentially have Henrique skate on the 3rd line to balance out the bottom half.

The offense makes it painfully clear that we have talent lacking, and the defense makes it perfectly clear that we have a talent surplus. Not a brilliant summation by any means, but something that hopefully Lou will take strongly into account. Clarkson is coming off the best season he will ever have (and I don't think any of us will doubt that), if we could trade Clarkson/Volchenkov for a strong top-6, 30+ goal scorer, this team could feel a lot more balanced in my eyes.

And, while buyouts don't have to happen until next season, I can see teams prep for that early and make firewagon trades (ala Chicago in 2010). If that's the case, we have cap to eat, I'd say full-steam ahead to gnab anyone on offense.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#4 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,111 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Posted Image

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#5 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Just saying, Semin would&#39;ve looked good on the second line for 5m/ year or whatever he signed for. Just for the pure goal scoring ability.<br /><br />David Clarkson as a 2nd line winger makes me borderline nauseas

Edited by Devilsfan118, 01 January 2013 - 02:36 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#6 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Last I heard of Semin he was a healthy scratch for multiple games in the KHL lol...and he signed for over $7 million.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#7 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,576 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

FWIW, Tedenby is doing terrible in Albany - 5 goals, 11 points in 26 games. I think it's more likely that the Devils will try Ryan Carter as the 3rd line wing with perhaps Harri Pesonen getting some time on the 4th.

Even if Semin is a healthy scratch, which I doubt as he has 15 points in 18 games and the KHL is typically stingier with points than the NHL, he's got a $7M contract in the NHL for when he gets back.

Edited by Triumph, 01 January 2013 - 04:30 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#8 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Assuming everyone is healthy (I know Henrique isn't but still..) here's what I see:

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Butler
Elias-Henrique-Zubrus
Tedenby-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Greene-Fayne
Tallinder-Larsson
Volchenkov (Salvador)-Zidlicky

Remember, whenever this thing gets underway, the Devils are still going to have too many defenseman. Harrold will be on the big squad as well which gives us 8 D-men for 6 spots.
I think Lou will still sign Sykora because it really seems as if Tedenby isn't making that next step. Here's another choice:

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Butler
Zubrus-Elias-Sykora
Henrique-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

#9 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

As far as free agents go, Huselius is still out there, as is Arnott, Knuble, Dom Moore... There are some RFAs still out there like Ryan O'Reilly, Michael Del Zotto... and so on. All I am saying is that there is going to be a lot of movement once this thing finally get settled. The Devils could trade a defenseman or two... or a prospect like Urbom for someone's rights... or trade Tallinder and sign Huselius.. something..

I will say I am very nervous about a lower cap with Lou having to re-sign Zajac, Clarkson, Elias, Tedenby, Josefson, Henrique, Zubrus, Butler, Zidlicky, Harrold...

#10 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

As far as free agents go, Huselius is still out there, as is Arnott, Knuble, Dom Moore... There are some RFAs still out there like Ryan O'Reilly, Michael Del Zotto... and so on. All I am saying is that there is going to be a lot of movement once this thing finally get settled. The Devils could trade a defenseman or two... or a prospect like Urbom for someone's rights... or trade Tallinder and sign Huselius.. something..

I will say I am very nervous about a lower cap with Lou having to re-sign Zajac, Clarkson, Elias, Tedenby, Josefson, Henrique, Zubrus, Butler, Zidlicky, Harrold...

plus we'll have to sign a good free agent in the next few years cause we really don't have what it takes in our system to cover for the losses for this summer plus Brodeur... Elias... Zubrus... etc etc all leaving soon. Look look at teams in our division and they are all young and really good and have young superstars coming up.. we don't. And as much we love Zajac and how underated he can be... not sure he'll resign, plus Travis would probly be 2nd center on a bunch of teams too... im a bit worried about our future to be honest when im looking at teams all around the league and how they are built compared to us

wayyyyyy too many questions marks for the next few years... Post-Brodeur? Post-Lou? Post-Elias? its certainly now too bright

Edited by SterioDesign, 01 January 2013 - 06:00 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#11 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,576 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

You shouldn't be. NJ is in a tremendous spot. Look around the league and you will find that most teams are much worse off.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#12 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

You shouldn't be. NJ is in a tremendous spot. Look around the league and you will find that most teams are much worse off.

Definitely this. So many teams will be pressed against the cap and we will have a lot of breathing room to sign key guys.

I would be fine with this lineup.

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Butler
Zubrus-Elias-Sykora ?
Henrique-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

The question mark will be if we can find a suitable trade/free agent to be an adequate 2nd or 3rd line winger instead of signing Sykora or playing Tedenby. I like what Butler can bring to the table and I think if he plays with Zajac or Elias he would have a solid year and we have to remember that Lou signed Butler with the intention of him being a top 6 guy so he will definitely get his chances. We dont look as bad as it seems because in my opinion with this group of guys and Deboer's system we will have another good year. Just get into the playoffs and anything can happen.

Edited by Zubie#8, 01 January 2013 - 06:20 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#13 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,859 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

NJ has gained and lost a lot of talent the last 15-20 years.

I highly doubt this wouldn't continue for the near and long-term future. I'm not worried.

#14 Ollie McKraut

Ollie McKraut

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Henrique will be healthy in October when the season begins.
Send us back to hell,
we've had out fill of heaven,
give us back our sins,
deadly one through seven

#15 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Henrique will be healthy in October when the season begins.

I must counter with optimism! :icon23:

An NHLPA member just told me that he expects an agreement in principle "sooner than later".
https://twitter.com/....48935931129858

believe-zubrus.jpg

#16 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,111 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

plus we'll have to sign a good free agent in the next few years cause we really don't have what it takes in our system to cover for the losses for this summer plus Brodeur... Elias... Zubrus... etc etc all leaving soon. Look look at teams in our division and they are all young and really good and have young superstars coming up.. we don't. And as much we love Zajac and how underated he can be... not sure he'll resign, plus Travis would probly be 2nd center on a bunch of teams too... im a bit worried about our future to be honest when im looking at teams all around the league and how they are built compared to us

wayyyyyy too many questions marks for the next few years... Post-Brodeur? Post-Lou? Post-Elias? its certainly now too bright

Why would you think Zajac wouldn't re-sign?

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#17 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

Star players have had a habit of leaving NJ when they hit free agency. (Only partial sarcasm , unfortunately)

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#18 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:55 AM

Being a 2nd line center on other teams = 2nd line center money. He can be the #1 guy here and get more money.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#19 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

Why would you think Zajac wouldn't re-sign?

Maybe he'd want to play closer to home, maybe he's dreaming too of playing with another dude somehwere in the NHL and they'll sign together somewhere

www.SterioDesign.com

#20 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

Being a 2nd line center on other teams = 2nd line center money. He can be the #1 guy here and get more money.

with free agency there's no ranking like that anymore, plenty of 2nd line center making realll good money

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users