265 replies to this topic

#261 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

You second-guessed yourself too on dropping back one or two spots too far lol.  But at least you made the right choice at 5 with Lundqvist, if you'd waited till the second round to get a goalie, the next three goalies off the board after your second-round pick were Ward, Marty and Lehtonen rofl.

My intention was to either draft Crosby or Lundqvist in the 1st.     I was really hoping to snag Crosby.   It was a gamble; I thought 3/4 was going to be Giroux and Ovi; with Crosby being a gift at 5...     My regret about picking 5th was when we dropped from 20 to 19...  I was thinking I should pick 4   (considering the even round back swings).   In the case; I would have had Crosby at 4... and who knows.

I was aiming for both Toews and Kane; and got them both; got very lucky snagging Kane (Even though I traded him).   I was counting on more production from Burns, and he was injured too long. 

Looking at the draft and knowing me.   After the big run on goalies in the 1st and 2nd; I draft the value on the talent that was skipped by the G run.   Taking Toews and Kane in the 2/3; and aim for  Holtby/Crawford/Anderson at the end of the 4th.     Likely I'd take Crawford, trusting the team.

Next year I might go three and picking Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos...     Let someone else grab Ovi at 4th :P

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#262 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:50 PM

And to add to the point.  OnDeck; you were one of the ones with sub 10 moves...  (but a completed roster play).

Only VooDoo is in a position where they were a bottom feeder with excessive games left.

Ideally Id want to see 20 teams all actively managing their teams throughout the year...   moves or not.

o yea no worries, i still managed my team and set lineups every week.  i didn't make as many moves because i was honestly just better off not

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#263 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

My biggest mistake was not snagging a goalie earlier,  caused me headaches trying to move between Fluery & Nab.  And I did not do a very good job of it, but still managed 7th,

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#264 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

My biggest mistake was not snagging a goalie earlier,  caused me headaches trying to move between Fluery & Nab.  And I did not do a very good job of it, but still managed 7th,

Agreed.   Trying to play matchup for goalies is a headache.   Lundqvist is known to start slow and finish strong.    I knew this; but it was still painful early on watching the mid round goalies out perform him.

Ultimately, he finished alright in the standings.  His lack of shutouts this year hurt me...  but the last one he snagged against us on Saturday really helped out.     Of the four goalies taken in the first round, I'd obviously rather have Rask... but ultimately I don't think I could have made a better 5 pick without the benefit of hindsight.  

My other reasonable options:  I didn't want to double down on Quick - who was phenomenal for me last year.  I also wanted no part of the greatest player in the world (of the 1st round 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs).   I didn't really hate DSedin; but I'd rather have Lundqvist...   good call.

Next year; I'm pretty much set in snagging Stamkos...    But we'll see how I feel then obviously...  I hate back to back picks; or near back to back.  

image-300x225.jpg

| 2014 Season | 

#265 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,078 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

I suck at micromanaging apparently. I also had some ridiculous Long term injuries this year. I should have focused on the other stats I suppose (hits +-) etc.

Congrats again Ayl

#266 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:03 AM

I suck at micromanaging apparently. I also had some ridiculous Long term injuries this year. I should have focused on the other stats I suppose (hits +-) etc.

Congrats again Ayl

Thankie.

Injuries can derail any team; fantasy or not  (see Devils).

I don't think the issue is micromanaging.   It's more keeping a healthy, well balanced team and making changes where you can to improve.     I had 20+ moves; but most of my roster stayed the same.  (ie I picked up and dropped players looking for talent - like Jiri Tlusty)

image-300x225.jpg

| 2014 Season | 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users