47 replies to this topic

#21 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,726 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

. I love how you say the last part like you actually know that for sure.

I can't find anything about penalties for negotiating before the assigned date in the previous CBA, but Unless Russo's story about it was a complete fabrication, there's no reason to file tampering charges. Lou says he did so in the Stevens case because he 'felt like the other side wasn't listening'. There's no indication that that's what went on here.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#22 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,399 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Mirtle reported that the cap escalator, which the NHLPA votes on every June to increase the salary cap (and floor) by 5% is still in this CBA, which is amazing to me.

The NHL did nothing to solve the issues that floor teams have except that they were able to cut salary. In the end, they won far less than I would have thought going in.

So in other words we're definitely guaranteed to have another lockout in eight years?

I don't get how the cap can increase every year and they claim they have a flat 50-50 system?
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#23 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

So in other words we're definitely guaranteed to have another lockout in eight years?

I don't get how the cap can increase every year and they claim they have a flat 50-50 system?

In the end the way I understand it you have a cap and you have revenue sharing regardless so that goes into escrow...it sounds odd but its basically seperating what you spend from what you make in the system.

#24 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,726 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

The cap is tied to revenues. However, if the players vote for the cap escalator, the cap goes up, but so does the amount of salary each player has to put into escrow each year. Under this system, the cap could be whatever amount, but if revenues fall short of the amount the salary cap anticipates, the players lose X dollars that they put into escrow (and likewise if the NHL does better than the cap anticipates). When the players vote for the inflator, they are essentially hoping/betting that the league will end up beating what the cap number says. And in many years it has - NHL players haven't lost much money via escrow.

#25 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,497 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

James Mirtle@mirtle

Keeping salary in trades: Teams can have up to three contracts at one time that they are retaining the salary of.

James Mirtle@mirtle
The max teams can keep is 15% of the salary cap. Only 50% of a deal can be kept. A contract can have salary retained in a trade only twice.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#26 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,262 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

James Mirtle@mirtle
Keeping salary in trades: Teams can have up to three contracts at one time that they are retaining the salary of.

James Mirtle@mirtle
The max teams can keep is 15% of the salary cap. Only 50% of a deal can be kept. A contract can have salary retained in a trade only twice.

So essentially teams can trade a player and keep part of the cap hit to sweeten the return they get?

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#27 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,399 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie
CBA is 10 yrs with mutual 8 yr opt-out but NHL has 1st option to terminate, no later than Sept. 1, 2019. NHLPA 2nd option, Sept. 15, 2019.

I suppose that just means each side can terminate the CBA, so that makes it even more likely one will :P

Edited by NJDevs4978, 07 January 2013 - 08:00 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#28 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

In an article posted by Pierre Lebrun it says "UFA FREE AGENCY INTERVIEW PERIOD
Similar to the NBA, the NHL has instituted a free-agency interview period prior to the actual signing period. UFAs will be able to meet and interview with potential clubs from the day after the NHL draft until June 30, prior to the July 1 opening of free agency.

What’s interesting about this is that I don’t think you’ll have a Parise/Suter situation where you wait all the way to July 4 to sign with a team. Instead, their decisions will be made by June 30 for the most part, you would have to assume."
I don't really like that to be honest. It makes the week or so before free agency useless essentially for the team trying to re-sign their UFA.
Link: http://m.espn.go.com...me=nhl&id=21219

Edited by njd3b1ink, 07 January 2013 - 10:43 PM.

#29 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,399 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

How many FA really re-sign the week or two before FA anyway? Occasionally you can trade someone's rights like a Bouwmeester and they re-up with their hometown team but that's pretty rare.

All it does more or less is take some of the suspense out of July 1, depending on what gets leaked beforehand. NBA deals often get announced way before they can be signed.

#30 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

In Lou's case it might help us since he has a penchant for letting the players shop around once they go free agent. If the players know their market value before they jump ship it might give Lou and the Devils some time to organize an offer.

#31 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,726 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

I like the negotiating window. I imagine there's at least one team that lost out on a player it wanted simply because it was trying to do too many things at once and didn't get a chance to counter offer.

DM: Players generally know their market value before they hit the market, I think

Edited by Triumph, 07 January 2013 - 11:20 PM.

#32 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,876 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

so from what i gathered listening to Darche yesterday..

the trade deadline would be april 5th the playoffs would start around end of april and someone would win the cup late june

there's also something about some kind of 7m cushion for trades so that a team can take on a bigger contract or something i missed the beginning of that part so i didnt fully understood but i'll look into it

www.SterioDesign.com

#33 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

James Mirtle@mirtle

I'm confused by the wording. Is it 15% or 50% of a contract's cap hit that a team can retain? Or is it 50% of a given contract's cap hit can be retained while 15% of the team's total cap space can be retained cap hits from dealt contracts?
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#34 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,726 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

I'm confused by the wording. Is it 15% or 50% of a contract's cap hit that a team can retain? Or is it 50% of a given contract's cap hit can be retained while 15% of the team's total cap space can be retained cap hits from dealt contracts?

Second one.

#35 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

Many thanks.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#36 JWomp

JWomp

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

So does this new "Luongo Rule," as Puck Daddy put it, mean that the Devils are on the hook for Kovy's full cap hit of $6.66 million through the 2024-25 season, even if he retires???

http://sports.yahoo....17517--nhl.html
Check out my Devils game used memorabilia collection: http://community.web...user/TJordan522

#37 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,726 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

So does this new "Luongo Rule," as Puck Daddy put it, mean that the Devils are on the hook for Kovy's full cap hit of $6.66 million through the 2024-25 season, even if he retires???

http://sports.yahoo....17517--nhl.html

No. If he retired with 5 years left in his contract, the Devils will have paid out $90M over 10 years, but he would have only cost 66.6M on the cap in those years. So it takes the difference between those numbers and spreads them over the remaining years - the Devils would be on the hook for 4.67M in dead cap space per year for 5 years. That's the worst case scenario.

#38 JWomp

JWomp

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

No. If he retired with 5 years left in his contract, the Devils will have paid out $90M over 10 years, but he would have only cost 66.6M on the cap in those years. So it takes the difference between those numbers and spreads them over the remaining years - the Devils would be on the hook for 4.67M in dead cap space per year for 5 years. That's the worst case scenario.

Got it, thanks!
Check out my Devils game used memorabilia collection: http://community.web...user/TJordan522

#39 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,876 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

thats still pretty good considering all remaining years are generally way lower so it would bring the cap down

but kovy's final years salary is 1m,1m, 1m, 3m, 4m

Edited by SterioDesign, 08 January 2013 - 11:36 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#40 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Add this (the "Luongo Rule") on top of the other penalties Bettman has already leveled against the Devils for signing Kovy a couple of years back. Not only do we get stuck with a large amount of dead cap space when he retires (I'm assuming he won't be playing out this contract), but we also can't buyout the contract this summer and immediately re-sign him to a deal that fits within the parameters of the new CBA. We are the only team that gets penalized at both ends.

Edited by Chuck the Duck, 08 January 2013 - 11:38 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users