307 replies to this topic

#221 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

i took that statement from slava malund the guy who report earlier the thing about kovy wanting to stay...

#222 JWomp

JWomp

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

I can understand it... He start something with them and Kovy is an emotional guys.... I am the same type of guy, i have no prob if he play ska till the end of the year then come back... That being said i would like him to get his ass monday in Jersey( But i can understand)

I understand that Kovy might not want to abandon SKA, but come on. There is no excuse if he ignores his NHL contract and doesn't come back until the fall. I would be VERY angry at him. He knew that SKA was a temporary thing during the lockout. Now that the lockout is over, he should be coming back with a smile on his face.

Because he might be awful in a few years, and then the Devils have all kinds of money tied up in an awful player.

Well it shouldn't matter if the Devils are well below the cap.
Check out my Devils game used memorabilia collection: http://community.web...user/TJordan522

#223 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Because he might be awful in a few years, and then the Devils have all kinds of money tied up in an awful player.

It's been a while but since we still don't have a schedule or ratified CBA to talk about, I think I remember Kovy's contract being structures with buyouts half way through or some crap like that to prevent the dead money/cap hit. Honesty, its been a while so I could be way off.

As for the whole staying in Russia thing, I think we take for granted the pressure that the hometown star (such as Parise) feels to come back. Kovy is an imigrant that never really settled in Atlanta and his wife is a star back home so I can understand why he would be torn on his decision. Don't get me wrong if he decides to stay for the season or forever I would still be furious but I could at least understand it.

#224 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,688 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Why does it seem like players and coaches only get homesick playing for us? First Sutter, then Parise and now Kovy. Doesn't even include Raf who was more or less given a gold watch before going to Detroit.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#225 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,906 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

I understand that Kovy might not want to abandon SKA, but come on. There is no excuse if he ignores his NHL contract and doesn't come back until the fall. I would be VERY angry at him. He knew that SKA was a temporary thing during the lockout. Now that the lockout is over, he should be coming back with a smile on his face.

I don't think any player should be coming back to the NHL with a smile on their face. The NHL used its billions of dollars as leverage against the players' union to extract money that they had ostensibly promised the players, and it canceled games and paychecks to ensure that this would be the final result. The KHL doesn't have this - sure, it has owners not paying players and a myriad of other, probably more evil and shady business.

It's kind of impossible to know what Kovalchuk actually thinks, because he's such an experienced media prevaricator. If he's in Russia, he wants to play there, when he's here, this is team.

Well it shouldn't matter if the Devils are well below the cap.

The Devils have a budget - Kovalchuk is amount for an enormous portion of it right now. If his contract goes bad, the Devils can't just say 'whoops, let's use this $11M elsewhere' - no, it's tied up in his contract. If he wants to keep playing in the NHL, he'll do so, and short of buying it out, which would run well into the late 2020s at least (and still cost a decent sum), the Devils are stuck with him.

4978: You don't pay attention to other teams as close, that's part of why. If Malkin goes UFA, Russia is going to make a huge push to sign him. Naslund went back to Sweden. Lidstrom was rumored to go back to Sweden for literally 10 years, and even now he'd still be one of the best defensemen in the league if he played. Jordan Staal just arranged to play with his brother, refusing a contract offer from Pittsburgh. And so on and so forth, I can do this for a long time (Pronger left Edmonton, Smyth wanted to come back to Edmonton, both forced trades to accomplish that)

Edited by Triumph, 10 January 2013 - 12:55 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#226 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

I'm being an optimist this time, and am honestly not even slightly worried.

In my humble opinion, he is telling the Russian media exactly what they want to hear before he takes off in order to save face and maintain his reputation. He's a national hero now, like it or not, and to just leave for the NHL would probably sour his standing over there. Especially with the Olympics happening in Russia soon, the last thing he wants to do is leave the KHL in a negative way.

Just like he "considered" the KHL during his contract fiasco. They were never really in contention for him, imo, but to come out and say that would've pissed a lot of his Russian fan base off.

Summary: Chill. He'll be in camp. The tweets being put out by the Russian media are the same as they were during the offseason a couple years ago: meaningless (and it's kinda pissing me off that TG is retweeting every..single..one. He's just contributing to the hysteria)

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#227 JWomp

JWomp

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

It's looking worse and worse, and I'm liking Kovy less and less if he is actually saying these things (and I'm sure Lou is thrilled, too haha), but I am still holding out hope that he is just saying these things to the Russian media to appease the media, his Russian fans, and his SKA teammates.

My theory/hope: Kovy knows he can't realistically stay and break his NHL deal, so he might as well make the Russian media/fans/team like him more by pretending he would stay if he could

Realistically, there is no way he can stay…the KHL has told the NHL it would honor the agreement, and Kovy wouldn't want to be banned from the Olympics by the IIHF. And while $30 million in the KHL this year might be nice, it's not like he doesn't have a ton of money waiting for him back in NJ.
So, I doubt he actually wants to stay or that he is actually considering it.

I think it's more of a message from Kovy to everyone who is putting pressure on him to stay. Kind of like him saying, "Hey, SKA teammates and fans…I would love nothing more than to stay and play in the playoffs with you guys and go for a championship. I wish there was a way to do it. We'll see" but knowing full well he will return to the NHL.

I'm being an optimist this time, and am honestly not even slightly worried.

In my humble opinion, he is telling the Russian media exactly what they want to hear before he takes off in order to save face and maintain his reputation. He's a national hero now, like it or not, and to just leave for the NHL would probably sour his standing over there. Especially with the Olympics happening in Russia soon, the last thing he wants to do is leave the KHL in a negative way.

Just like he "considered" the KHL during his contract fiasco. They were never really in contention for him, imo, but to come out and say that would've pissed a lot of his Russian fan base off.

Summary: Chill. He'll be in camp. The tweets being put out by the Russian media are the same as they were during the offseason a couple years ago: meaningless (and it's kinda pissing me off that TG is retweeting every..single..one. He's just contributing to the hysteria)

Exactly my thoughts! Although it's not like Malkin or Ovechkin soured their reputations by leaving...

Edited by JWomp, 10 January 2013 - 01:01 PM.

Check out my Devils game used memorabilia collection: http://community.web...user/TJordan522

#228 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,688 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Tri, you're going through hypotheticals and stuff that didnt happen. Naslund was pretty much finished when he left as I remember. And being traded to your brother's team is not the same as running 'home'.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#229 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,906 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Tri, you're going through hypotheticals and stuff that didnt happen. Naslund was pretty much finished when he left as I remember. And being traded to your brother's team is not the same as running 'home'.

Naslund led the Rangers in goals in 2008-09. But the narrative is that he's done because he was a Ranger.

And of course this will be forgotten about when Kovalchuk arrives here on Monday, has an interview Tuesday in which he expresses contrition for his views, says that he feels loyalty to this team, and never tried to break the contract to which he was signed. All of which I imagine will be true - the rest is just speculation, mistranslation, and misinterpretation.

#230 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

At first I was pissed at the quote, but then I realized I say about the same thing when I'm leaving a party to go to a better one.

And it's translated.
Posted Image

#231 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

the real truth comes out. he just wants to finish the season with his team, which is understandable. he doesn't want to look like he was there just for the money and ice time and he wants to finish what he started. there is no way it's going to happen, but i can understand him wanting to say that. we would be pissed if it were us getting our star taken away half way.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#232 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,153 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

http://prohockeytalk..._medium=twitter

i mean how can he possibly THINK of doing this to us? we traded for him... signed him to a crazy contract... got in sh!t for it and will still pay for it giving up a first round pick... and he still has like 12 season to go with us... and he's thinking of doing this to us?

i cant even believe he's even considering it.

www.SterioDesign.com

#233 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

the real truth comes out. he just wants to finish the season with his team, which is understandable. he doesn't want to look like he was there just for the money and ice time and he wants to finish what he started. there is no way it's going to happen, but i can understand him wanting to say that. we would be pissed if it were us getting our star taken away half way.

IF he wants to take full advantage and continue to play in the KHL until the CBA is legally ratified, I'm ok with that. But he's not SKA's star player. He was basically on loan to them until the lockout ended. Everyone from the management to fans of that team knew that from the beginning. I just hope that Lou takes some form of action against him if he doesn't show up to camp on time (whether that is Sunday or within 48 hours of the NHLPA's ratification of the new CBA). He's not bigger than this team, and he needs to realize that he is no different than any of the other 22 guys in that dressing room.

I can understand why he's torn (presumably because he wants to finish what he's started there this season), but he signed that $100 million contract knowing full well that this is the way things work. Nobody forced him to take the Devils' money and he could have signed with SKA in 2010 and played the rest of his career there. He needs to show some of the leadership we saw out of him last season and report to camp on time.
Posted Image

#234 Maddog

Maddog

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

My two cents....Kovy is an emotional guy, he's involved in the community over there, not to mention he's there Captain. I'm sure they don't want him to go and he feels obligated to see what he started thru. I could be wrong but I just think he doesn't want to look like a guy who decided to play over there until the lockout was over than hop on the next flight to Jersey leaving all of them high and dry!

MDD_zpsbc48401d.png

#235 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Nothing really new in the nbc article as I saw that quote attributed earlier. I think he is basically giving himself a nice clean hometown hero out by saying, sorry it's not me it's the contract.

#236 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,906 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

http://prohockeytalk..._medium=twitter

i mean how can he possibly THINK of doing this to us? we traded for him... signed him to a crazy contract... got in sh!t for it and will still pay for it giving up a first round pick... and he still has like 12 season to go with us... and he's thinking of doing this to us?

i cant even believe he's even considering it.

because he's not. I mean, I give you credit, but you are reading quotes translated out of Russian into English, which is your second language. There's bound to be a ton of nuance lost in both translations.

But even if he were, the draft picks shouldn't matter at all to him - it's not up to a player to determine whether or not his contract is legal, it's up to the team that offers it.

Edited by Triumph, 10 January 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#237 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

BTW, this is the real reason why lockouts are bad, players explor other options and do what is best for them. In the end it's a free market and players will explore when given the option. I'm still 90% sure Kovy stil ends up back in the NHL this year but you can see long term the KHL is going to take any shot it can to be the top league.

#238 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,013 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

BTW, this is the real reason why lockouts are bad, players explor other options and do what is best for them. In the end it's a free market and players will explore when given the option. I'm still 90% sure Kovy stil ends up back in the NHL this year but you can see long term the KHL is going to take any shot it can to be the top league.

Part of me wishes Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, and Kovy ALL stayed there, because I think all future CBA's would go much smoother. Especially when Sidney's buddy is involved, as well as his (NHL regulated) rival.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#239 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Well worse case senerio we will all have a hosue to crash at if he decides to stay...http://tax1.co.monmo...00024__01_____M

#240 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

Well worse case senerio we will all have a hosue to crash at if he decides to stay...http://tax1.co.monmo...00024__01_____M

That...is slightly creepy

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users