Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,708 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

Posted from over on HF

http://rsport.ru/hoc.../638725595.html

It's google translate but I think getting the full quote is much less scintillating than the smaller version on twitter.

Meh... I prefer the cut-up doomsday version.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#42 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,179 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

My anger would be through the roof if A) Kovy left and B) The Devils STILL got left holding the bag cap-wise for the next thirteen years after getting a double punishment for one contract. It's one thing for players and owners not to care about the fans, but to actively spit on us in every way possible might be 'my' breaking point with this league.

Kovy can't mess around too much longer, I don't care who he's trying to make happy in Russia. NHL fans are PISSED at this lockout. He had finally gotten almost everyone off his back, and the Devil players had pretty much succeded in not ticking anyone off further - until now.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 08 January 2013 - 03:46 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#43 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,179 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Is there a part of the NJD management/ownership that might actually HOPE that Kovy stays in Russia?

- potential voiding of $83 million remaining on Kovy's albatross of a contract
- cap space out the wazoo to rebuild, very flexible roster positions
- helps ownership with cash flow & future debt

Not saying it would ever happen, but it has to be in the back of the minds of JVB/Lou.

They gave him that contract two years ago. Now they want it voided after Kovy helped lead the team to the SCF AND Vanderbeek's in a better financial position? Not bloody likely. About as likely as the stupid buyout nonsense.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#44 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

My anger would be through the roof if A) Kovy left and B) The Devils STILL got left holding the bag cap-wise for the next thirteen years after getting a double punishment for one contract. It's one thing for players and owners not to care about the fans, but to actively spit on us in every way possible might be 'my' breaking point with this league.

Kovy can't mess around too much longer, I don't care who he's trying to make happy in Russia. NHL fans are PISSED at this lockout. He had finally gotten almost everyone off his back, and the Devil players had pretty much succeded in not ticking anyone off further - until now.

Well, their silence for the most part during the lockout would make me think the players themselves would not be too happy with him, if he just waltzes in whenever he feels like it.

#45 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

Is there a part of the NJD management/ownership that might actually HOPE that Kovy stays in Russia?

Not saying it would ever happen, but it has to be in the back of the minds of JVB/Lou.

We'd be terrible without Kovy. Losing Zach and Kovy in their prime could potentially be the biggest void to fill ever created in the history of hockey.

www.SterioDesign.com

#46 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

We'd be terrible without Kovy. Losing Zach and Kovy in their prime could potentially be the biggest void to fill ever created in the history of hockey.

Yeah, I call bullsh!t on this one. Both that the Devils would be terrible and that teams haven't done worse in losing players in a short span of time.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#47 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Technically, 2003-04 was our last year with both Stevens and Niedermayer (though Stevens went down mid-way through the season and Nieds wasn't really gone until after the lockout). I'd say that's the biggest void this franchise ever got left with in one blow.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#48 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

They'd be a pretty crappy (being kind) offense at puck-drop without either of them. But if something stupid happens, they'd have to go get someone anyway so it would be temporary.

#49 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

I expect Kovalchuk to return to New Jersey when the CBA gets ratified. However, I wouldn't hold anything against him if he wanted to finish out the year with SKA. He's captain of the best team in the league and there is the family factor. Also game 7 of the Gagarin Cup was on April 25 last year so he could finish the season there and return for NJ's playoff run. Of course there would have to be some sort of agreement/breaking of an agreement to allow him to play once there once the NHL's CBA is ratified. I really doubt he stays in the KHL past this week though...

I wouldn't expect this to happen but I really don't think it's that crazy of an option. It's nothing against Kovalchuk but it would clear a potentially huge headache down the road if they could get out of the deal. Sure it would hurt in the short term but it would give the franchise a clean slate to build with.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#50 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

I expect Kovalchuk to return to New Jersey when the CBA gets ratified. However, I wouldn't hold anything against him if he wanted to finish out the year with SKA. He's captain of the best team in the league and there is the family factor. Also game 7 of the Gagarin Cup was on April 25 last year so he could finish the season there and return for NJ's playoff run. Of course there would have to be some sort of agreement/breaking of an agreement to allow him to play once there once the NHL's CBA is ratified. I really doubt he stays in the KHL past this week though...

I wouldn't expect this to happen but I really don't think it's that crazy of an option. It's nothing against Kovalchuk but it would clear a potentially huge headache down the road if they could get out of the deal. Sure it would hurt in the short term but it would give the franchise a clean slate to build with.

Like fvck he could come back here in late March/early April after the other season is over. You go, you stay gone. The Devils bent over backwards for him and put themselves into a bad spot, that may now be two bad spots, and had absolutely nothing to do with anything that transpired with the lockout. Hell, I wasn't even sure we had an owner until JVB sent out that email. They had next to no presence on either side.

He reports before the season starts, or it's over. Of course I don't run the team, but that's my feeling on it. Then he can go suck on the oil money because he can never get that contract in the NHL again. Just hope he doesn't piss the wrong person off while he's over there.

If that's his attitude, that he thinks he can play out the season and then come back, it's not going to fly. Won't fly with the fans, won't fly with the team office, won't fly with the guys in the room, some of which make peanuts by comparison and lost almost half of their peanuts for this season.

#51 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,179 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Besides, there probably wouldn't be any playoffs for him to come back to. NO WAY the Devils would ever agree to that, $12 million or no $12 million savings.

I don't understand why people are 'still' looking for ways the Devils can get out of the contract, it is what it is and you'd better enjoy the good years and hope the good years last as long as he's getting paid good money at least.

#52 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,179 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

So it's okay for Kovy to leave a team he has a SIGNED CONTRACT with for thirteen years, while Zach and other guys stink for walking out as a FA? I really don't get 'anyone' defending him in this, at least not to the extent that you would be okay with his missing regular season games. Missing two days of camp to play in the All-Star game is one thing, I'd expect him to be fined or at least he should be if that's what ends up happening but that would be the end of it. Walking out entirely would be beyond what Parise/Holik/Gomez ever did.

And like max said, the Devils bent over backwards for him with the contract. To leave us in the lurch like this with a cap number we'll be stuck with for years would be beyond disgraceful.

#53 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

This just in...we might be terrible WITH him, too.

#54 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

This just in...we might be terrible WITH him, too.

Henrique is going to give us MOST of Parise's production. This just in: Parise was near invisible during the playoffs. We should have signed Semin and Kostitsyn when we had the chance.

n2eg.jpg

#55 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

So it's okay for Kovy to leave a team he has a SIGNED CONTRACT with for thirteen years, while Zach and other guys stink for walking out as a FA? I really don't get 'anyone' defending him in this, at least not to the extent that you would be okay with his missing regular season games. Missing two days of camp to play in the All-Star game is one thing, I'd expect him to be fined or at least he should be if that's what ends up happening but that would be the end of it. Walking out entirely would be beyond what Parise/Holik/Gomez ever did.

And like max said, the Devils bent over backwards for him with the contract. To leave us in the lurch like this with a cap number we'll be stuck with for years would be beyond disgraceful.

Through no fault of the Devils organization (since I know they didn't want the lockout) I can understand if Kovalchuk is pissed off at the NHL and feels like he has more of an obligation to his KHL team this year after the NHL robbed him of half a year. I'm not saying its right or wrong, I'm just saying I can understand if he feels that way.

For me personally, I wasn't one of the fans that killed Parise for leaving - I wasn't happy but I understood why he did it and don't hold any bad feelings towards him.I think most of us would've made the same decision as he did if we were fortunate enough to be in that situation. While it sucks to see a guy like that go, I'm willing to look at the positive that the Devils won't be stuck overpaying him for past performances as he declines. Essentially they got great, great value out of Parise's time in NJ.

Also, if Kovalchuk did stay in the KHL and the Devils could void his deal, they wouldn't be stuck with his cap hit. It's like a get out of jail free card in a sense. I'm not advocating they should do that since I don't think the so called "Luongo" rule is really going to hurt the Devils when he retires early but I would understand it if Lou pursues it (which I doubt he will).

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#56 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

Would that mean they get all that cap space back?

If so...my goodness. We could resign everyone and then some.

n2eg.jpg

#57 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,179 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Through no fault of the Devils organization (since I know they didn't want the lockout) I can understand if Kovalchuk is pissed off at the NHL and feels like he has more of an obligation to his KHL team this year after the NHL robbed him of half a year. I'm not saying its right or wrong, I'm just saying I can understand if he feels that way.

If Kovy leaves, he's not leaving for half a season - it'll be for good.

And I'm sorry but the above is nonsense...he has an obligation to the team he signed an ironclad deal with for a decade and a half, not one he signed a temp deal with. Besides, the Devils didn't lock him out, the league did.

Everyone's so obsessed with the $6.6 million of cap space after his playoff run and yet it was such a great cap deal when we signed him before he'd done a darn thing for us :lol: And the Devils are STILL better off cap-wise (now) than most of the NHL.

#58 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Markov and Datsyuk are still there

just found this too:
Clarification: Malkin, Gonchar have yet to leave Moscow, but expect to 'soon.' Would prefer a set camp date. @penguins

so why is the media singling out Kovy once again?

www.SterioDesign.com

#59 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

just found this too:
Clarification: Malkin, Gonchar have yet to leave Moscow, but expect to 'soon.' Would prefer a set camp date. @penguins

Hes Russia's prodigy.

Edited by Zubie#8, 08 January 2013 - 05:00 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#60 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

just found this too:

Because, as usual when he's over there, he's the one *talking*. He did the same thing between contracts in 2010 where he was whining he'd go play for SKA. I'm sure some of it is editorializing, but it's a trend with him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users