#1 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Allan Walsh@walsha

Petr Sykora will be playing in the NHL this season. More to come.

Retweeted by Tom Gulitti

probably not the devils.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#2 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

it may still be with the Devils

www.SterioDesign.com

#3 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

not sure if i want it to be, he didn't do much in the playoffs, i'd rather have josefson and butler up than a filler.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#4 puckrock

puckrock

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

not sure if i want it to be, he didn't do much in the playoffs, i'd rather have josefson and butler up than a filler.

True about the playoffs, but the onset of Carter/Bernier/Gionta I think more than made up for Sykora.

Keep in mind he did have a 20-goal year. With Parise gone, the Devils will need all the scoring they can get.
This is my 2012 Playoff signature.

#5 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

from what i saw of butler, i think he can come close. plus it's half a season, so we're looking for 10 or so goals to make the playoffs.

martyb.jpg

#6 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

it may still be with the Devils

Chere was quoted as saying it won't be with the Devils. I liked having him around, but he just couldn't keep up with the pace of this league, especially as the season wore on. His shot will be missed though, especially that one timer off the faceoffs.
Posted Image

#7 iceowl14

iceowl14

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Chere was quoted as saying it won't be with the Devils. I liked having him around, but he just couldn't keep up with the pace of this league, especially as the season wore on. His shot will be missed though, especially that one timer off the faceoffs.

With only a short season though, this wouldn't be as big-a-deal as with a full season. If it was full season the drop in pace is noticeable, but he may keep up with fewer games this season. I'm not too aware of how contracts work but is there a pay-as-you-play option?

Up The Devils
Twitter: @IceOwl14

#8 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,899 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Chere was also quoted 15 minutes later as saying the Devils weren't out as far as Sykora goes.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#9 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,807 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

This always seemed like a no-brainer to me. Why not? Give him another minimum contract, and if a younger guy beats him out for a spot, make him a healthy scratch.

Are the Devils close to 50 contracts?

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#10 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

from what i saw of butler, i think he can come close. plus it's half a season, so we're looking for 10 or so goals to make the playoffs.

They still need someone else, you're trying to replace three top nine forwards from last year, counting Sykora.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#11 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Would be a shame if we did not bring Sykie back!

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#12 Bryan

Bryan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

NHL network just said he wouldn't be with NJ.

FWIW...
Posted Image of Zach Parise's McFarlane Figure!

NEW JERSEY In keeping with the fact they are the Devils, New Jersey actually went with a villain by the name of Lex Lou-Lamoriello, an evil genius who finds ways to get around the salary cap until he is stopped in his tracks by Bett-man.

#13 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

I read on Twitter it was Florida who had the other offer in on Sykora as we did.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#14 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

I hate this non-signing

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#15 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

I hate this non-signing

I think you've made that pretty clear...

#16 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

With only a short season though, this wouldn't be as big-a-deal as with a full season. If it was full season the drop in pace is noticeable, but he may keep up with fewer games this season. I'm not too aware of how contracts work but is there a pay-as-you-play option?

Up The Devils

See i think its the exact opposite. With the condensed schedule, with little time off for rest between games, guys who arent in shape or who normally really slow down are going to wear down even faster and its not going to be pretty.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#17 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

I think it can go either way. Overall I think depth is big as that fourth line which was a huge energy boast in the playoffs but basically came out of Albany. who knows though, you just have to hope as guys go down the depth and energy can come from Albany

#18 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,170 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

Even though it may not have reflected in the goal or point totals, I thought Sykora really wore down last season, shooting much less in the 2nd half and then becoming non-existent in the playoffs (he seriously had one more point than Brodeur and ended up a healthy scratch for what, like 5 or 6 straight games at one point?). I think the shortened season would hurt him with the high volume of games in a short period of time.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#19 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

I think you've made that pretty clear...

Allow me to reiterate one last time...

Terrible non signing

#20 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,117 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Even though it may not have reflected in the goal or point totals, I thought Sykora really wore down last season, shooting much less in the 2nd half and then becoming non-existent in the playoffs (he seriously had one more point than Brodeur and ended up a healthy scratch for what, like 5 or 6 straight games at one point?). I think the shortened season would hurt him with the high volume of games in a short period of time.

He actually finished up pretty strongly in the regular season (6 goals and 3 assists in his last 11 GP), and was even getting some SOG over that stretch (24 of them). But yeah, wasn't really much of a factor come playoff time, and I think the Devils probably got the best of whatever he had left already. I don't think the Devils would've gotten nearly as much from him this time around.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users