Bettman: "I'm sorry."

RunninWithTheDevil

If you have the time to read it, here's a great article by some guy named F.J. Corrigan who writes a blog about the Washington Capitals and who says that after being a fan for 29 years he's giving up his season tickets because of the lockout.

http://peerlessprogn...im-done_11.html

Mirrors my sentiments to the T. Very good, yet sad read. I feel his pain.

That article by the Caps writer really hit the nail on the head imho.

As a fan of the NHL and Devils for two decades now, this lockout has left me absolutely gutted. At the end of the day it's only a sport, but it's a pretty raw feeling when you know that you have lost passion for something that you cared for deeply. I still find myself checking in on TG's blog and I'm pretty sure that I'd rather see the Devils have some success, however, I know for a fact that things just feel different for me after this latest lockout. Sure, money plays a big role in all of this, but that's not my biggest beef with everything. Above all, I just can't comprehend the lack of respect that the NHL has for its product, its history, the fans, and the game of hockey itself. What about the team employees and the local businesses? There are just no words to describe how poorly this league operates and their lack of regard for the people who help support it and depend on it.

I made up my mind in September that the NHL would definitely not be seeing a penny from me this year and for the foreseeable future for that matter. It's not meant to punish them, because I know full well that there will be someone else ready to pick up my slack. It has more to do with the fact that they brought me to a point where I now have to question my association with the league and if I want to be a part of it any longer. That's one thing I can't forgive them for, at least not right now. Sorry, a truncated 48 game season will not change my mind on that.

It feels like most people really don't care to much about everthing that has happened and are more than willing to hand over their money asap. Personally, that is disappointing to me, however, everyone is entitled to their own course of action here and many people just want their hockey and don't care how they get it. That's fine, but there are definitely those of us out there who are not okay with everything that has gone on. The only thing I can say for sure is that Saturday will be the first season opener that I actually couldn't care less about, and it absolutely sucks to feel that way.

That article by the Caps writer really hit the nail on the head imho.

As a fan of the NHL and Devils for two decades now, this lockout has left me absolutely gutted. At the end of the day it's only a sport, but it's a pretty raw feeling when you know that you have lost passion for something that you cared for deeply. I still find myself checking in on TG's blog and I'm pretty sure that I'd rather see the Devils have some success, however, I know for a fact that things just feel different for me after this latest lockout. Sure, money plays a big role in all of this, but that's not my biggest beef with everything. Above all, I just can't comprehend the lack of respect that the NHL has for its product, its history, the fans, and the game of hockey itself. What about the team employees and the local businesses? There are just no words to describe how poorly this league operates and their lack of regard for the people who help support it and depend on it.

I made up my mind in September that the NHL would definitely not be seeing a penny from me this year and for the foreseeable future for that matter. It's not meant to punish them, because I know full well that there will be someone else ready to pick up my slack. It has more to do with the fact that they brought me to a point where I now have to question my association with the league and if I want to be a part of it any longer. That's one thing I can't forgive them for, at least not right now. Sorry, a truncated 48 game season will not change my mind on that.

It feels like most people really don't care to much about everthing that has happened and are more than willing to hand over their money asap. Personally, that is disappointing to me, however, everyone is entitled to their own course of action here and many people just want their hockey and don't care how they get it. That's fine, but there are definitely those of us out there who are not okay with everything that has gone on. The only thing I can say for sure is that Saturday will be the first season opener that I actually couldn't care less about, and it absolutely sucks to feel that way.

I'm fine with people doing whatever they want, as long as they don't tell others how to feel or what to do, or act like their way means they're better or avid fans than people who see things differently than them.

I will be watching my Devils games on TV...either at my house or at one of the many Newark bars who were screwed by the NHL's latest pissing contest. I'd much rather give them my business at this point...at the very least, I will get better food and beer at a lower price, and I'm sure my dollars will be better appreciated in such establishments! No arena for me this year. Like you, it's not me punishing anyone or trying to teach "the man" a lesson, I'm just too disgusted to go to an NHL game in person this season. I won't enjoy it. Next season, maybe I'll start to thaw a bit, I don't know. But the NHL did enough to keep me away for 2013.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I'm fine with people doing whatever they want, as long as they don't tell others how to feel or what to do, or act like their way means they're better or avid fans than people who see things differently than them.

I will be watching my Devils games on TV...either at my house or at one of the many Newark bars who were screwed by the NHL's latest pissing contest. I'd much rather give them my business at this point...at the very least, I will get better food and beer at a lower price, and I'm sure my dollars will be better appreciated in such establishments! No arena for me this year. Like you, it's not me punishing anyone or trying to teach "the man" a lesson, I'm just too disgusted to go to an NHL game in person this season. I won't enjoy it. Next season, maybe I'll start to thaw a bit, I don't know. But the NHL did enough to keep me away for 2013.

This is where I am. Had I not already paid for season tickets in full, I'd just avoid the arena. I'll probably put a lot of games on sale though, because I'm just not in the mood to deal with an hour and a half commute there and back 24 times this year. As for next season, I really don't know. I just don't have the excitement about it used to.

Also in full agreement with Sickman.

Say what you will about baseball, but a lot of their fans left and never came back after they cancelled the World Series. And baseball hasn't missed a game since.

I wish that a fan backlash would catch on with the NHL and maybe the same message could be sent. But it won't. All the same, I'm not spending a dime on tickets this year (GameCenter, unfortunately, I have to cave on being out-of-market and all).

Also in full agreement with Sickman.

Say what you will about baseball, but a lot of their fans left and never came back after they cancelled the World Series. And baseball hasn't missed a game since.

I wish that a fan backlash would catch on with the NHL and maybe the same message could be sent. But it won't. All the same, I'm not spending a dime on tickets this year (GameCenter, unfortunately, I have to cave on being out-of-market and all).

You are right, won't happen, too many fans happy to take whatever the NHL sees fit to dish out to them, as long as they get their NHL hockey in some form. Admittedly I was one of those fans the last two times. Not anymore.

I was down with the Just Drop It campaign as soon as I heard about it. Without going into detail, it calls for a 10-game boycott of your favorite team's games. But within the last few days, I've decided I'm going to skip going to games for the entire season. I figure I won't even watch the first 10 games on TV, and then after that I probably will, assuming I feel like it.

In all honesty, for me it definitely was about "punishing" the league -- at first. But after I thought about it a while, I quickly realized and accepted the fact that my personal boycott will have zero affect on the NHL as a whole. So if I'm really going to do go through with it, it had better be solely because it's something I believe in.

Once I determined that it was, it makes it a lot easier for me to go through with it.

I'm thinking I might try to go to one of the many restaurants by the arena to eat/drink and watch a few home games, but I'm not even sure if those places actually keep the game on their TVs while all the fans are already inside the arena.

I also want to try and find another hockey option to support, but I'm not sure yet which is the best one that's closest to me. Trenton is kind of far from where I am.

I wonder how many NJDevs members plan to boycott games. Maybe someone should start one thread just for that discussion -- or just make this the thread for that topic. .. Just an idea.

This is where I am. Had I not already paid for season tickets in full, I'd just avoid the arena. I'll probably put a lot of games on sale though, because I'm just not in the mood to deal with an hour and a half commute there and back 24 times this year. As for next season, I really don't know. I just don't have the excitement about it used to.

I'm in the same boat as you. I had already paid for my tickets but I figure I'm going to sell the majority of them. I spent a lot of money on playoff tickets last year so selling all these regular season games will at least cancel that out.

I was down with the Just Drop It campaign as soon as I heard about it. Without going into detail, it calls for a 10-game boycott of your favorite team's games. But within the last few days, I've decided I'm going to skip going to games for the entire season. I figure I won't even watch the first 10 games on TV, and then after that I probably will, assuming I feel like it.

In all honesty, for me it definitely was about "punishing" the league -- at first. But after I thought about it a while, I quickly realized and accepted the fact that my personal boycott will have zero affect on the NHL as a whole. So if I'm really going to do go through with it, it had better be solely because it's something I believe in.

Once I determined that it was, it makes it a lot easier for me to go through with it.

I'm thinking I might try to go to one of the many restaurants by the arena to eat/drink and watch a few home games, but I'm not even sure if those places actually keep the game on their TVs while all the fans are already inside the arena.

I also want to try and find another hockey option to support, but I'm not sure yet which is the best one that's closest to me. Trenton is kind of far from where I am.

I wonder how many NJDevs members plan to boycott games. Maybe someone should start one thread just for that discussion -- or just make this the thread for that topic. .. Just an idea.

I think the local bars will be so thrilled to have customers back, that they will happily keep the game on for you if you should ask. I don't think it will be a ton of fans, but I do think there are enough of them that sympathize with how local bar owners lost revenue, that there will be enough of them watching games in such settings. I plan to go up to the area for at least 5 games, maybe a few more. I've never tried any of the restaurants, outside of the Arena Bar...I'd like to sample some of these places.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976