270 replies to this topic

#261 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

the other piece better be Larsson or every decent prospect we have or they're laughing. Literally any other team can outdo JJ and Tallinder. Why do they want Tallinder anyway? They're awful and will be for awhile esp w/o RoR  

1. They need to get something for ROR, otherwise there is no way they improve this year.
2. Tallinder is actually a good defensemen who can help younger kids and is affordable. Unfortunately he's not working out hay great in this system and has been plagued with injuries since coming here.
3. JJ is a young center who is already great defensively. Furthermore, after showing some really steady offensive production at the AHL level there is promise that he can do it in the coming years at the NHL level.

#262 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:00 AM

Arnott and Niedermayer held out the same year.  And the Devils went to the Cup Finals that year. 

Columbus has a lot of work to do to get good.  They have to throw out a lot of bad contracts.  That Jack Johnson deal has to be first on the chopping block though I don't know who is stupid enough to take that on.

Well, if the Avs gave up Shattenkirk and Stewart for Erik Johnson, I could see them making another "brilliant" move and sending O'Reilly to Columbus in exchange for Johnson and one of their forward prospects.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#263 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

... Wrong thread

Edited by aylbert, 14 February 2013 - 08:39 AM.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#264 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

1. They need to get something for ROR, otherwise there is no way they improve this year.
2. Tallinder is actually a good defensemen who can help younger kids and is affordable. Unfortunately he's not working out hay great in this system and has been plagued with injuries since coming here.
3. JJ is a young center who is already great defensively. Furthermore, after showing some really steady offensive production at the AHL level there is promise that he can do it in the coming years at the NHL level.

1. any team will give them something. JJ's not a unique commodity or anything. He's a good defensive center with no hands. 

2. The Avs have no incentive to be good this year. THey stink no matter what. Who cares if they get slightly better w/ an old Dman who wouldn't be around when they're good. 

3. He's not Granlund or something like that. EVERY TEAM has an asset equal to that. You're not outbidding anyone for RoR w/ JJ and Tallinder. You need to actually offer MORE and any team could match that

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#265 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

1. any team will give them something. JJ's not a unique commodity or anything. He's a good defensive center with no hands. 

2. The Avs have no incentive to be good this year. THey stink no matter what. Who cares if they get slightly better w/ an old Dman who wouldn't be around when they're good. 

3. He's not Granlund or something like that. EVERY TEAM has an asset equal to that. You're not outbidding anyone for RoR w/ JJ and Tallinder. You need to actually offer MORE and any team could match that

The one thing the Devils have going for them is the perception that their prospects are very good.  It certainly helped get the Kovalchuk deal done -- Bergfors and Cormier. 

So another GM gets offered Josefson, and thinks the Devils think very highly of him, so he must be good.  The Yankees used to get away with that all the time.

But there's no desperation on Colorado's part to move O'Reilly, so they can wait things out.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#266 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

The one thing the Devils have going for them is the perception that their prospects are very good.  It certainly helped get the Kovalchuk deal done -- Bergfors and Cormier. 

So another GM gets offered Josefson, and thinks the Devils think very highly of him, so he must be good.  The Yankees used to get away with that all the time.

But there's no desperation on Colorado's part to move O'Reilly, so they can wait things out.

I don't think either of these things is true.  People forget that 09-10, the salary cap was a thing.  People actually had to like, be prudent with money they spent.  That decreased the number of potential suitors considerably.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#267 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

I don't think either of these things is true.  People forget that 09-10, the salary cap was a thing.  People actually had to like, be prudent with money they spent.  That decreased the number of potential suitors considerably.  

I'm not following you.  Are you referring to Kovalchuk?  If so, a lot of teams were reportedly interested, and I never heard that cap space was an issue for anyone.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#268 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

I'm not following you.  Are you referring to Kovalchuk?  If so, a lot of teams were reportedly interested, and I never heard that cap space was an issue for anyone.

It was without question an issue.  Kovalchuk was a 6.6M contract.  The Flyers had no room that year - they still had Mike Rathje on the books.  Other teams were also way up there - the Bruins, I recall, also would have had issues.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#269 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

I don't think the perception's there anymore if it ever was after that deal blew up so badly for Atlanta. Larsson everyone knew was gonna be good but the rest? Who knows 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#270 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

The Devils and Nashville have a reputation as being able to develop players really well. That's why the media and other teams go apesh!t whenever a Devils or Preds player goes UFA. Paul Martin, who always struck me as an average D Man, was one of the top UFAs after the 09-10 season.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#271 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

The Devils and Nashville have a reputation as being able to develop players really well. That's why the media and other teams go apesh!t whenever a Devils or Preds player goes UFA. Paul Martin, who always struck me as an average D Man, was one of the top UFAs after the 09-10 season.

Yes...  developed players who hit UFA with several years as a Devil.    

But sending out prospects before they made it as full time Devs?    That is a very short list of unproven Devils who go on to be 'Devils' elsewhere.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users