#141 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

Completely forgot about Redden.

Instead of the Rangers being "content" with five defensemen (it's really four, since Strahlman is a poor man's Kurtis Foster if that's possible), it's more precise to say that they were willing to roll the dice. Re Erixon, they were obsessed with getting their superstar without having to trade Kreider -- their supposed next superstar. By process of elimination that required Erixson to be part of the deal since McIlrath is a complete joke of a prospect. If their third pairing continues to get torched even in the 7 to 10 minutes of ice time it gets in the next six weeks, we'll see how content they really are.

Carp, he'd more plausibly waive his NTC to go to a team where he wouldn't have to move his family.

More like three. Del Zotto is pretty damn bad too (but at least they play him like 16 mins a night). Staal, Girardi and McDonagh are the only three I'd feel comfortable with out there if I was a Rags fan. I think Erixon being included in the Nash deal is gonna make a bigger difference than some think. It's not that I think he's gonna be a top pairing dman, but he'd certainly crack the Rags top 6.

Yes, Columbus has a better D corps than the Rags

#142 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Stralman is much better than Kurtis Foster. I forgot they signed Eminger, while I think Eminger is bad at least he's a body. I legitimately thought they had 7 guys and then that was it because they don't really have any prospects.

But Bickel played all the Rangers playoff games. Or at least most of them. They like going with 5 guys. I think it's extremely risky but Tortorella rides his players hard - and hey NJ did the same with their forwards last year and it worked out.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#143 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

the green just lost matt green for like 3 months... theres a chance they need to get another dman...

www.SterioDesign.com

#144 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

from that french website

http://www.hockey30....h-doit-amasser/

there's rumours about Perry playing in the north-east division and that he'd likely test the market this summer while Getzlaf will probably re-sign. But he wouldnt want to play in MTL as he would like to play in an english city.

Newark is not THAT far right ? and we certainly have the money to bring him.

www.SterioDesign.com

#145 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

Stralman is much better than Kurtis Foster. I forgot they signed Eminger, while I think Eminger is bad at least he's a body. I legitimately thought they had 7 guys and then that was it because they don't really have any prospects.

But Bickel played all the Rangers playoff games. Or at least most of them. They like going with 5 guys. I think it's extremely risky but Tortorella rides his players hard - and hey NJ did the same with their forwards last year and it worked out.

Wasn't Stu Bickel and whoever they paired him with getting about 7 minutes of ice time during the playoffs, if that?

What do you mean about the Devils riding their forwards hard? Maybe during the regular season, but obviously there was a lot of production from the fourth line in the playoffs, who saw a lot of ice time. We all know that the Devils would not have gone very far without them performing, and getting the ice time they did. Kovalchuk gets a lot of ice time for a forward, but that's in large part because he's physical freak of nature with that Ivan Drago like work out regimen during the off season.

And Kurtis Foster managed to get decent minutes on a deeper team, and didn't get cut from the Devils. (Transitive logic I know, but there you have it).

Obviously, it's only two games into the season. But their lack of blue line depth showed during the playoffs last year. If it continues into the next ten or fifteen games, Ranger fans, Sather and Dolan will again return to "do something" mode. This off season, it was a perceived lack of offense, which resulted in them giving up a lot for Nash. They might give up a lot to plug up another perceived weakness once again.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#146 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Wasn't Stu Bickel and whoever they paired him with getting about 7 minutes of ice time during the playoffs, if that?

They were going with 5 defensemen and would rotate people in. Stralman got closer to 15 minutes of ice time a game.

What do you mean about the Devils riding their forwards hard? Maybe during the regular season, but obviously there was a lot of production from the fourth line in the playoffs, who saw a lot of ice time. We all know that the Devils would not have gone very far without them performing, and getting the ice time they did. Kovalchuk gets a lot of ice time for a forward, but that's in large part because he's physical freak of nature with that Ivan Drago like work out regimen during the off season.

The Devils basically rode 7 forwards last year until they got Ponikarovsky and Josefson came back from injury.

And Kurtis Foster managed to get decent minutes on a deeper team, and didn't get cut from the Devils. (Transitive logic I know, but there you have it).

Foster is much worse than Anton Stralman. The Devils thought Larsson could handle the power play, he couldn't, so they got Foster. Foster is better on the PP than Stralman but is a liability at even strength.

Obviously, it's only two games into the season. But their lack of blue line depth showed during the playoffs last year. If it continues into the next ten or fifteen games, Ranger fans, Sather and Dolan will again return to "do something" mode. This off season, it was a perceived lack of offense, which resulted in them giving up a lot for Nash. They might give up a lot to plug up another perceived weakness once again.

Sure, but if it happens, it will be for an expiring contract, of which there are plenty around the league.

Sterio: getting Perry would be horrible.

#147 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,169 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Yeah I want none of Perry with the contract he's likely to get.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#148 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Sounds like teams are just using crappy ufas to fill defensive holes. Huskins is close to signing with Detroit. Makes you wonder if a move is even possible

#149 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

They were going with 5 defensemen and would rotate people in. Stralman got closer to 15 minutes of ice time a game.

The Devils basically rode 7 forwards last year until they got Ponikarovsky and Josefson came back from injury.

Stralman got powerplay time, so he's a bit of an anomoly. I also think that you're overstating his minutes in the playoffs, although I don't have the inclination to check.

And what do you know, the Devils were a bit more than an average team until they got Poni and Josefson came back, and even then, the playoff run would not have happened without a dependable fourth line.
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#150 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Stralman got powerplay time, so he's a bit of an anomoly. I also think that you're overstating his minutes in the playoffs, although I don't have the inclination to check.

And what do you know, the Devils were a bit more than an average team until they got Poni and Josefson came back, and even then, the playoff run would not have happened without a dependable fourth line.

He played 17 minutes a game.

My point was that the Devils were a high-wire act until they got a 3rd line. Kovalchuk was out a few games but other than that the core stayed healthy.

#151 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Nino Niederreiter evidently has requested a trade. I think the Isles will probably be asking for more than the Devils are willing to offer.

Sorry, here's the link:

http://espn.go.com/n...ers-source-says

Edited by Daniel, 22 January 2013 - 04:42 PM.

Posted Image

#152 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Sterio: getting Perry would be horrible.

wow.... and why ?

www.SterioDesign.com

#153 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

wow.... and why ?

Cause having Hart trophy winners on your squad is just bad business.... :rolleyes:

#154 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Cause having Hart trophy winners on your squad is just bad business.... :rolleyes:

It is when you sign them as a free agent, in general, especially if they are scoring wingers. Perry gets 7/56 easy if he hits the market, that contract is a nightmare waiting to happen.

#155 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

It is when you sign them as a free agent, in general, especially if they are scoring wingers. Perry gets 7/56 easy if he hits the market, that contract is a nightmare waiting to happen.

The days of the good team contracts are most likely over with this new CBA. If you want to get a guy like Perry your going to strap yourself somewhere else. Unless you have some solid youth. But their going to want their money soon enough too...

#156 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

The days of the good team contracts are most likely over with this new CBA. If you want to get a guy like Perry your going to strap yourself somewhere else. Unless you have some solid youth. But their going to want their money soon enough too...

You get good team contracts by not signing UFAs in general, or if you do sign UFAs, sign top defensemen and top centermen. If the Devils had a bunch of young players, you can go out and sign a Perry and worry about it later, but they don't, really. They already have two guys on giant deals, one of whom is a certainty to turn sour, the other one pretty likely too.

#157 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

Yeah, the new contracts are going to be cap anchors. No more $6.5M cap superstars. Of course those had their pitfalls (and had some more added), but the new deals, you're gonna get cracked over the head from day 1 on. People (especially fans of other teams) that are surprised by the Zajac contract are going to be in for a shock in July.

#158 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

Yeah, the new contracts are going to be cap anchors. No more $6.5M cap superstars. Of course those had their pitfalls (and had some more added), but the new deals, you're gonna get cracked over the head from day 1 on. People (especially fans of other teams) that are surprised by the Zajac contract are going to be in for a shock in July.

You will see teams paying 7 million+ easily in AAV (and probably more for marquee players). It won't be the superstars feeling the cap squeeze. Ryan and Getzlaf will look at Zajac's contract and say "compare our stats, compare our pedigree and open your checkbook".

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#159 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:58 AM

You will see teams paying 7 million+ easily in AAV (and probably more for marquee players). It won't be the superstars feeling the cap squeeze. Ryan and Getzlaf will look at Zajac's contract and say "compare our stats, compare our pedigree and open your checkbook".

Look at what Lupul got, for nothing more than the "Toronto Maple Leafs first line effect".

#160 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

We should see what we would need to give up to pick up Nino Niederreiter.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users