76 replies to this topic

#41 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

It would be sick if Matteau made the team.. We can start a tradition of chanting his name 3 times after he scores a goal to mock Ranger fans

In terms of our D, we have too much at this point with Merrill not even in the system yet. I say we either bring in a top scorer or we survey the draft and try to trade up for a very high pick

might be a smart move to wait tho... so that we if we have injuries on the D well were set. Then this year a bunch of teams are looking for D depth and single bad slump can kill the season so some teams could have bad Ds or injuries and would need immediate solutions and maybe they'd be willing to give up a good prospect for a solide NHL dman + a pick... or a similar scenario you know. Its a gamble but i could be good

www.SterioDesign.com

#42 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,798 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

On the one hand, I like what I'm hearing about Matteau, on the other, I don't like the idea of him starting in the NHL this year. Then again that could just be DeBoer talking to the media and saying the right things.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#43 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

On the one hand, I like what I'm hearing about Matteau, on the other, I don't like the idea of him starting in the NHL this year. Then again that could just be DeBoer talking to the media and saying the right things.

i really don't thin Matteau will be in the NHL more than maybe a few games to see where he's at.

www.SterioDesign.com

#44 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

I don't care about missing Sykora - Butler should be able to do most of what he did. I care about Ponikarovsky - after his acquisition, the Devils basically won 2/3rds of their games. They were 36-20-4 playoffs and regular season after his acquisition, that's .633 point percentage. Darche is in the same mold but cannot replace him.

I agree, but I would like to say that I think poni could be replaced somewhat easily especially if we trade a defenseman this season. I thought the trade was good for the sole reason that it gave the devils depth and they finally had 3 lines instead of 2. I thought poni played his best early on before he got injured. After he came back he didn't do much and that line in general didnt do a whole lot. I think lou could pull off a depth move similar to this without too much trouble. I think it depends on what happens this week in camp.

#45 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

i really don't thin Matteau will be in the NHL more than maybe a few games to see where he's at.

I actually like the idea. We're clearly not too strong at forward thus far and if Larsson made it his first year, why not Matteau. Granted there is a gap in talent but with the attitude Matteau has shown/is known for, I don't think we see him being all sad and sulky like Larsson last year after being a crash test dummy for a good part of the season.
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#46 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

If Debo and Lou are thinking about seeing what the kid has he should play on a line with Elias and Zubrus. That sounds like a good idea to me (well anything to keep Tedenby out of the lineup).

Butler Zajac Kovalchuk
Matteau Elias Zubrus
Darche Josefson Clarkson
Carter Gionta Bernier

...dat left wing depth :doh1:

Edited by Zubie#8, 14 January 2013 - 07:55 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#47 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,288 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

Matteau's having a decent year in the Q but it has been a bit underwhelming. I think finishing the year off in Blainville would do him well. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets a few games if there are injuries and they need a body but no way he sticks this year.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#48 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

If Debo and Lou are thinking about seeing what the kid has he should play on a line with Elias and Zubrus. That sounds like a good idea to me (well anything to keep Tedenby out of the lineup).

Butler Zajac Kovalchuk
Matteau Elias Zubrus
Darche Josefson Clarkson
Carter Gionta Bernier

...dat left wing depth :doh1:

No way the playoff fourth line stays together.

Zubrus-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Butler-Elias-Clarkson
Darche? Tedenby?-Josefson-Bernier
Carter-Gionta-Janssen
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#49 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

I'm just hoping to see Reid Boucher up with the big boys in the next couple seasons.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#50 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:57 AM

I love the fact that Zubrus is mentoring Matteau and skates with him over the summer and now they are on the same line during camp. It is also good to hear Stefan mention how much Zubrus is helping him out. It would be great if he can become a bull along the boards like Dainius.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#51 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

How many games does Cam play this year? Barch? How many games are they BOTH in the lineup for?!?

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#52 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

How many games are they BOTH in the lineup for?!?

Hopefully zero. Oh the horrors that would be....

Josefson back to practice, per TG: http://blogs.northje..._training_camp/
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#53 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Really worried about the first 10 to 15 games, getting out he gate FAST is imperative in a short season. Missing Henrique for 3 or 4 weeks could be really bad...
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#54 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,505 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Really worried about the first 10 to 15 games, getting out he gate FAST is imperative in a short season. Missing Henrique for 3 or 4 weeks could be really bad...

Shouldn't be that long, I think they're targeting end of the this month, if this go great, but more likely early next month.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#55 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

We will be fine i have a feeling that bobby butler will score a lot of goal for us..

#56 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,505 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Rich Chere@Ledger_NJDevils

Brodeur says Stefan Matteau looks to be faster skater than his dad. He says the kid doesn't look out of place in camp

------------------------------

Stefan looked like a pretty crappy skater at the WJC. :lol: Maybe his skater is more suited to the smaller surface here though.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#57 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Ya I have to imagine there is going to be alot of shifting aroudn the lines as we pretty much rode whatever was hot last year and I can't see PB changing thath philosophy. I am just hoping we can continue to have as effective of a penalty kill, and improve on our power play.

#58 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Butler sounds like a smart player:

Butler struggled to find his scoring touch and lost confidence last season, however, and ended up with just six goals and 10 assists in 56 NHL games with Ottawa. After the Senators bought out the final season of his contract last summer, the Devils signed him to a two-way deal with the NHL minimum salary of $525,000.

Butler said it was just a matter of finding his confidence again and remembering to shoot more often and more quickly. He had just 86 shots on goal in 56 games last season with Ottawa. He had 94 shots on goal in his 32 games with Albany.

“You can’t score if you don’t throw it towards the net,” he said. “I didn’t shoot enough last year, so I want to shoot as much as I can this year. It was something I figured out, just looking at stats here and there. I just knew I wasn’t shooting fast enough and shooting enough last year, so that’s one of my focuses this year.”

-TG

For reference, he shot 73 times in 36 games in 2010-2011 - the year in which he scored 10 goals and put up 21 points. In that same year, in the AHL, he shot 136 times in 47 games and scored 22 goals and 33 points. As TG points out above, this year in the AHL he's shot 94 times in 32 games and it's resulted in 15 goals and 23 points. So on average:

2010-2011 (NHL): 2.03 shots per game
2010-2011 (AHL): 2.90 shots per game
2011-2012 (NHL): 1.56 shots per game
2012-2013 (AHL): 2.94 shots per game

It's good to see he realized he wasn't shooting enough in 2011-2012. I don't think he's suddenly going to be on pace to score like 30+ goals at the NHL level, but for those that are missing Sykora, I think he could do an ample job of replacing his scoring if he can maintain the 2+ shot per game average, especially if he's playing on the top line. In the shortened season, is something like 12-15 goals realistic?

Edited by nmigliore, 15 January 2013 - 08:12 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#59 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

@TGfireandice:
Matteau beats Brodeur, yes, at 14:30 for PPG

:headless chicken:

Edited by Zubie#8, 16 January 2013 - 02:12 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#60 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

LOL MATTEAU! kids going to make the team!

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users