81 replies to this topic

#21 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,070 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

I remember some of the pre- and postgame TV interviews Gomez did with Matt Loughlin while Gomer was still with the Devils; he used to goof on Matty, smiling, trying to get him to laugh, not in a mean way, just having fun. It seemed like he might've been one of the funner guys in the Devils locker room at the time.

As much as I hated him for going to the Rangers, I wouldn't mind him coming back to N.J. if he was serious about getting his sh!t together.

I don't think he's a bad guy...more naive and easily tricked.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#22 devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Gomez has not been a decent player in the league for years. He also has the dreaded "locker room cancer" label (rightly or wrongly it exists). I see no worth in bringing him back.
Official Keeper of the 3 story statue of a hockey player by the artist J. Krawczyk.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchens

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#23 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,070 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Gomez has not been a decent player in the league for years. He also has the dreaded "locker room cancer" label (rightly or wrongly it exists). I see no worth in bringing him back.

I think he's more of a "bad contract guy". Is he really that much of a dick in the locker room? I kind of find that hard to believe.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 14 January 2013 - 03:52 PM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#24 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,425 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

I've never heard Gomez described as a locker room cancer. This is the sort of othering that goes on with players who are out of the norm (the norm being white, from either the US or canada).

Wouldn't mind him back here on the wing next year if our wingers are as ghastly next year as they are this year (and he's in good shape).

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#25 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

I don't think he's a bad guy...more naive and easily tricked.

I feel the same about him. I think he got in WAY over his head with that signing with the Rangers. I really think that his agent said "here, sign this. NY is the best place for you, you'll be a star, this is how the NHL is" and he signed the contract.

I don't hate the guy. I don't really want him back, either. It's a business. He did what was right for him. Now, if Lou offered him the same contract and he told Lou that New York is the best and that he hates the Devils, ok, then I see. I don't think he's a bad guy. Driver left for the Rangers, MacLean went there the second his contract ran out in SJ. Holik went there. It happens. None of them had any success there, anyway.

For perspective's sake, if any of us worked at Bob's Hardware Store for 55,000 a year, and John's Hardware Store offered us 105,000 a year guaranteed for the same job, and you told Bob and he told you "I'm not paying that", 99% of us would enjoy our drive to John's in our new car.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 14 January 2013 - 03:38 PM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#26 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Was the money as different for Gomez as it was in your Bob's vs John's example? ($55k vs. $105k)

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#27 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,070 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

I feel the same about him. I think he got in WAY over his head with that signing with the Rangers. I really think that his agent said "here, sign this. NY is the best place for you, you'll be a star, this is how the NHL is" and he signed the contract.

I don't hate the guy. I don't really want him back, either. It's a business. He did what was right for him. Now, if Lou offered him the same contract and he told Lou that New York is the best and that he hates the Devils, ok, then I see. I don't think he's a bad guy. Driver left for the Rangers, MacLean went there the second his contract ran out in SJ. Holik went there. It happens. None of them had any success there, anyway.

For perspective's sake, if any of us worked at Bob's Hardware Store for 55,000 a year, and John's Hardware Store offered us 105,000 a year guaranteed for the same job, and you told Bob and he told you "I'm not paying that", 99% of us would enjoy our drive to John's in our new car.

Glen Sather, the least creative GM in the NHL who still thinks signing good players to superstar contracts will lead to superstar performance, basically told him, "The Devils aren't using you right, here you could put up 100 points," and pretty much everyone over there, right down to the fans, bought into it. No one had any concrete plan why that would be the case of course, and when Gomez basically put up, well, Gomez numbers, Sather and the rest of the Ranger faithful were actually surprised.

That being said, his contract was more money than a guy like Gomez ever should've expected to get (and if not for 2005-06, he probably wouldn't have gotten that much), and signing it is the easiest part...the press conferences, the schmoozefests...these guys don't realize what they're in for until they actually have to start earning the money, and are expected to play at a level much higher than what is realistic.

#30 FOREVER!

#28 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Was the money as different for Gomez as it was in your Bob's vs John's example? ($55k vs. $105k)

Roughly. In 2005-06 he made 2.2 million here. He got awarded 5 million from the arbitration case for 06-07. The first year of his Ranger contract was $10 million, then it went down as the contract went on... (from Cap Geek):

2007-08 $10,000,000

2008-09 $8,000,000

2009-10 $8,000,000

2010-11 $8,000,000

2011-12 $7,500,000

2012-13 $5,500,000

2013-14 $4,500,000

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 14 January 2013 - 04:16 PM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#29 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

....but we do not know what Lou offered, so to use the arbitration figure as the Devils "offer" would be unfair

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#30 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,425 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

We don't know if Lou offered anything. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't bother, it was obvious Gomez was leaving.

#31 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Could be true....

Either way, it was a great non-signing....he went to NYC and let his career plummet begin. He went to Montreal to completely ruin it....

Hopefully Parise becomes the next case of career derailment after leaving the Devils for the bright lights of free agency and Brinks trucks full of money they don't deserve.

#32 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Let's not forget he had multiple confrontations with the coaches in Montreal.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#33 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

The NHLPA is reviewing that case and already spoke with the NHL head office about it. I kinda hope they are stuck with him somehow

www.SterioDesign.com

#34 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,937 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

The NHLPA is reviewing that case and already spoke with the NHL head office about it. I kinda hope they are stuck with him somehow

They already have to pay him and have his cap number for the rest of the year, now they should have to waste a roster spot on him too? The Habs have every right to do what they want with their roster...if Lou sent Krys Barch home (the way he did Langdon in 2006), there'd be no issue, but the NHLPA is raising a stink because they want Gomez to have a chance to get his full contract value, even if it's by getting hurt.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#35 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,425 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

They already have to pay him and have his cap number for the rest of the year, now they should have to waste a roster spot on him too? The Habs have every right to do what they want with their roster...if Lou sent Krys Barch home (the way he did Langdon in 2006), there'd be no issue, but the NHLPA is raising a stink because they want Gomez to have a chance to get his full contract value, even if it's by getting hurt.

This is a ridiculous reading of the situation. If Gomez said 'hey, I want to play', and talked with the NHLPA, the PA should at least look into it. I don't think it has anything to do with money on Gomez's end, either for Gomez or the NHLPA.

Lou sent Langdon and Oliwa home, but I'm not convinced that he didn't do so without their permission, and I'm not sure had they raised a question about 'uh hey I want to play, somewhere', that Lou wouldn't've looked into it - if not in the AHL, on a loan, then maybe in a foreign league.

Edited by Triumph, 14 January 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#36 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

if it would be someone else than Gomez i'd feel really really bad for him

www.SterioDesign.com

#37 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

....but we do not know what Lou offered, so to use the arbitration figure as the Devils "offer" would be unfair

It's pretty much believed that Jersey didn't bother to offer anything once they saw the numbers that the Rags offered. Gomez signed pretty quickly that off season.

The point is I really don't blame him. I don't like that he went there, but the days of loyalty to a team are long gone about 90% of the time. Marty is one of the few exceptions, and people crap on him anyway.

#38 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

if it would be someone else than Gomez i'd feel really really bad for him

same thing for Wade Redden. Though even he must've known he was AHL bound the day he signed that contract
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#39 titleofusername98

titleofusername98

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

Regardless of whether or not he's a "good guy," he hadn't scored a goal in a little more than a year. And if Gomez is your highest paid player, with results like that, doesn't it seem like a no-brainer to buy him out?

Maybe it's because I'm 14 and I started following the Devils at about the same time Gomez left. But if I'm the GM for this team, in a huge hockey market whose fans hate when their team misses the playoffs, then it makes logical sense for me to send him off for this season and work with the rest of the team to play some clutch, playoff hockey. And in a French-Canadian accent!
Posted Image

#40 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

I give the Canadiens kudos for being up-front about it. Otherwise they can have him report to camp, practice & just not dress him for games between Feb-Apr. Or they could do the same with him in the AHL. It seem more honorable this way to say up-front we're buying you out in 5 months & then you are a free-agent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users