Photo

Steve Bernier Reaction at the Home Opener

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Stever Bernier Reaction (66 member(s) have cast votes)

When Steve Bernier gets introduced at the Rock, what will you do?

1. Standing applause and cheer (38 votes [56.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.72%

2. Boo him (1 votes [1.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.49%

3. Neither/No opinion (28 votes [41.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

http://www.nj.com/de..._medium=twitter

I am not sure what the overall opinion on this is but I would give the guy a standing applause when he gets introduced at the Rock. What does everyone else here think?

#2 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

I wouldn't say he gets any more or less a hostile reception than anyone else. I don't think the fans will carry over the grudge with the lockout (plus us getting burnt from another source) but why give him any extra love
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#3 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,158 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

we're not Montreal, let's not setup a player to fail on his first game.

www.SterioDesign.com

#4 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,047 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

Not entirely his fault the D collapsed, sure he put them there but I personally don't vilify him. He should be thankful he isn't on a NY team or that sequence would forever be played out on MSG.

#5 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

He was big in the Florida series and was a key depth guy throughout the season. One bad play after a non call will not ruin everything he did for us. He was really hard on himself after game 6 so I will cheer for him, he deserves it, and I cheer for all the guys on opening night anyways.

Edited by Zubie#8, 14 January 2013 - 06:40 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#6 NLinfante

NLinfante

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

I would say that it's likely we don't even make it to the finals without the unexpected play of that line. One penalty shouldn't overshadow that.

#7 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

off-topic, but I was curious if anyone can remember another time where a SC Final major resulted in 3 goals-against ?

Heck I'll be happy to hear about one in the Regular Season....

Thanks to anyone who might know this factoid !

#8 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

off-topic, but I was curious if anyone can remember another time where a SC Final major resulted in 3 goals-against ?

Heck I'll be happy to hear about one in the Regular Season....

Thanks to anyone who might know this factoid !

One PLAYOFF one I remember offhand was when that clown Sean O'Donnell did it for LA and torpedoed the Kings during Larry Robinson's only trip to the playoffs as a coach there. One of the reasons why I hated getting this guy a couple years later and of course he didn't do much to help the Devils either :P

Found a piece on it (actually the Kings gave up FOUR goals on that one): http://www.stltoday....fd0b5a4f72.html

As far as Bernier, I think the long lockout pretty much quelled the extreme emotions on both sides - fans that hold Game 6 against him, and fans that want to stand by him. He'll probably get no more or less applause than any other player.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 14 January 2013 - 07:21 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#9 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

There will probably still be a handful of clowns that boo him. I will cheer for him just like everyone else on the team. The poor guy will always regret that hit unless he eventually wins a Cup, he doesn't need his own fans booing him about it too, especially if they're not also going to boo the guys on the penalty kill at the time.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#10 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,308 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

I'm not really keen on giving him a standing ovation. His hit was dirty, dangerous and pretty stupid given it was game 6 of the SC finals and I don't want to be remembered as the fan base that applauded that kind of action (even if the intent is to support him, that's not how anyone else would view it).

I would be more disappointed though if anyone boo'd. He's not the reason we lost, takes a team effort there.

#11 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,159 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

I'm indifferent to him honestly.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#12 MDPucks

MDPucks

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

Really??? Why would anybody give a negative reaction? Guess Devils fans should have boo'd the hell out of Ken Daneyko for his bad give-a-way to Craig Janey in Boston Garden in Game 7 1988 or Marty and Slava Fetisov for Matteau's wrap-around in 1994.

Seriously people you're overthinking this.

#13 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Show him support. He knows he fvcked up, and he may be a little nervous about fan response. Let him know he's appreciated for all he brought to the table.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#14 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Of course SOMEONE has to be that guy and boo him. :uni:

Edited by Zubie#8, 14 January 2013 - 11:01 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#15 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

whoever the clown is that voted "boo him" you're worthless, go be a Habs or Leafs fan if you want to boo a member of your own team. It's classless, even Bill Buckner gets applause from Sox fans now.

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#16 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

i couldn't even imagine his frame of mind after the game was over. i really like him as a player and how well that 4th line worked together

#17 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

We did not boo Marty for giving up a soft goal late in game 7 against the Canes, so we should just leave him alone.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#18 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,325 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

I feel like he'll get the standard applause like any other non-star Devil player. Most fans have probably either forgiven him or forgotten the incident.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#19 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

It's worth mentioning how horribly bad our penalty kill was throughout the playoffs; our RECORD-BREAKING regular season penalty kill... Sure, the penalty was a dumb one, but that doesn't provide for an automatic 2-3 goal deficit if the rest of the team doesn't sh!t the bed.

#20 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:57 AM

To show up just after the game to the fans.... ready to take the fire... This guy deserve a good treatment.
But more important, i think it's really time to turn the page and go forward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users