149 replies to this topic

#141 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

There is a big difference between signing a 35 year old for 5 million a year on a 5 year contract and signing a former star of the team for a 1 year deal worth less than a million bucks.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#142 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:52 AM

Any Gomez updates? Last I heard he was practicing with the Sharks. No signing, though, as it appears he didn't play tonight.

I agree that he can be good for NJ, and may actually be the missing link on this team.

With a fully healthy roster:

Henrique-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Elias/Josefson-Josefson/Elias-Zubrus
Tedenby-Gomez-Clarkson
CBGB/goons

Looks really solid, in my opinion. Not going to get my hopes up though, if the rumors are true about him wanting to be in the West. 3rd line might be a D hazard, I don't exactly remember Gomez's defensive game so much.

But whatever the case may be, I'm thinking a definite top 6 player is not quite as essential as I once thought it was. Somebody who could play either 2nd or 3rd line minutes will be adequate, although not ideal.

#143 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

He's going to San Jose, as has now long been supposed.

http://www.nhl.com/i...:topheadsReport

#144 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,371 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Good, I for one am glad Lou didn't go to the well of ex-Devils yet again. Those moves have rarely worked out, or made much of an impact.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 22 January 2013 - 02:44 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#145 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Good, I for one am glad Lou didn't go to the well of ex-Devils yet again. Those moves have rarely worked out, or made much of an impact.

But almost every place (incl TG) has said that we DID look into it.

He just wanted to go out west. If Larry was still here, he probably would've been signed here.

And I agree with you. I was okay with this b/c the risk was so low, but I don't care that we didn't get him.

#146 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,371 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

But almost every place (incl TG) has said that we DID look into it.

He just wanted to go out west. If Larry was still here, he probably would've been signed here.

And I agree with you. I was okay with this b/c the risk was so low, but I don't care that we didn't get him.

Yeah, I phrased/worded it wrong. I'm just glad he went somewhere else.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#147 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

I wonder if Gomez and Redden in behind the scenes agreements didn't in good faith agree to sign in the opposite conference for face saving of the franchises in agreeing to buy them out this year. It doesn't make sense for either team to buyout the player under the circumstances for this season.

#148 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

gomez to sharks for 1 year 700k pro rated.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#149 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,717 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

gomez to sharks for 1 year 700k pro rated.

The ESPN on my iPhone machine said the same thing. I didn't see anything on TSN or a quick glance of Twitter, but I guess it's done soon.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#150 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

yea lebrun tweeted it so i assume it's true. he doesn't mess around.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users