120 replies to this topic

#41 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:46 AM

would he be the first black nhl player named as a captain? as a minority, i think that would be great

Iginla

believe-zubrus.jpg

#42 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:06 AM

A not very good defenseman being named captain? Is Lou taking cues from Chris in Albany?

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#43 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,731 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

The article points to Elias as to the source of why Salvador would get the 'C'. I do get the feeling that Elias doesn't like Kovy very much. I think he thinks he is getting special treatment from a team that is known for not doing that sort of thing and he resents him for that and I think there is other reasons.

thats what i feel too and tried to expressed earlier.

www.SterioDesign.com

#44 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

I can't think of a better way to tell the league that we are the Devils and we win with unsung heroes, not superstars that automatically get praised for nothing they have achieved cough*ufa's*cough

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#45 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

Ya I love Eilas and I just hope he isn't opening a can of worms or getting bitter from the whole Kovy thing. I think part of made the team successful last year was that it was a loose close knit group that got along.

#46 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

I can't think of a better way to tell the league that we are the Devils and we win with unsung heroes, not superstars that automatically get praised for nothing they have achieved cough*ufa's*cough

Didn't you know? $7+ million cap hit automatically makes a player a top 10 talent, as per the new CBA.

#47 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Ya I love Eilas and I just hope he isn't opening a can of worms or getting bitter from the whole Kovy thing. I think part of made the team successful last year was that it was a loose close knit group that got along.

i guess we will find out soon enough when he becomes an ufa.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#48 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,352 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Sadly, fans play amateur psychologist too often in these instances. I have no idea what goes on in that locker room, or who's friends with who, or who's pissed at who. None of us do. These guys all get their quotes picked apart far too much, by too many parties...I can understand more and more why some guys choose to say as little to the press as possible, or nothing at all. Yeah, there's probably some Devils players who weren't tickled about Kovy and the whole Russian debacle...but he's here now and it's done. I'd like to think it's not going to be some stupid lingering thing.

Best thing about hockey starting on Saturday is that we will able to talk about ON ice stuff, finally!
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#49 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Sadly, fans play amateur psychologist too often in these instances. I have no idea what goes on in that locker room, or who's friends with who, or who's pissed at who. None of us do. These guys all get their quotes picked apart far too much, by too many parties...I can understand more and more why some guys choose to say as little to the press as possible, or nothing at all. Yeah, there's probably some Devils players who weren't tickled about Kovy and the whole Russian debacle...but he's here now and it's done. I'd like to think it's not going to be some stupid lingering thing.

Best thing about hockey starting on Saturday is that we will able to talk about ON ice stuff, finally!

Agreed on the point about fans not knowing what goes on inside the locker room.

That being said, it is a little eye-opening when both alternates from the previous season get passed over for the captaincy. Did Sal wear the A at all last season?

#50 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Agreed on the point about fans not knowing what goes on inside the locker room.

That being said, it is a little eye-opening when both alternates from the previous season get passed over for the captaincy. Did Sal wear the A at all last season?

He did whenever one of the A's was out. I think he did in the playoff game that Kovy missed, too.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#51 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

He did whenever one of the A's was out. I think he did in the playoff game that Kovy missed, too.

Thanks, I couldn't remember, but I figured he might've.

Back in the day, I used to remember stuff like that. Now, not so much.

#52 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

He was the A when Kovy was out and I think at two or three other points. Honestly, Im more interestedin the line set ups and how we are going to look Saturday with only a week under our belt and the new faces on all our lines.

#53 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

My main problem with Salvador as captain is the same as with Leach in Albany - you gotta play the guy.

believe2.jpg

#54 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,996 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

There is only one really good choice for captain in my book and that is Elias. Regardless if Elias gets the C or not, he and Brodeur are the leaders of this team.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#55 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Elias too is going to be 37. I hope we select a Captain who is in his Twenties !

#56 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

I like having a defenseman as C. When you have a scorer as C, every time he goes into a scoring slump, you hear that it is the "weight of the Captaincy"
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#57 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

Not sure if anyone saw this:

TSN:
"DeBoer plans to name the Devils' new captain before Saturday's opener at the Islanders. Kovalchuk refused to campaign for it, saying he's been a captain before."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413701

815631765.gif

#58 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

He said we will see and that he have been captain before (mean he can do it)

#59 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

Elias too is going to be 37. I hope we select a Captain who is in his Twenties !

Tedenby!

believe2.jpg

#60 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

I like having a defenseman as C. When you have a scorer as C, every time he goes into a scoring slump, you hear that it is the "weight of the Captaincy"

I agree with this. I think Sal would be a good choice but wouldn't be surprised if it's Kovy.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users