12 replies to this topic

#1 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

I remember we lost Rafalski and Gomez the summer before. We didn't have Kovy and we had a no name defense. Despite all these things we still made the playoffs. I think we look better than that this season.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#2 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

Marty is not :(

He was the key to that season, so many one goal games and he was brilliant.

Edited by Zubie#8, 18 January 2013 - 12:03 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#3 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

Marty is not :(

He was the key to that season.

48 games though. Marty's not going to be playing as many games as he usually does.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#4 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

48 games though. Marty's not going to be playing as many games as he usually does.

I understand but he will not even be close to the level of play he was at when he won those two veznias in a row.

I think we will make the playoffs in the 6th spot. Just like last year.

Edited by Zubie#8, 18 January 2013 - 12:09 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#5 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,783 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

The way things ended...I'd rather we not made the playoffs in 07-08
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#6 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

That team was freaking awful to watch, was like drawing blood from a stone. Sutter quit on his system after about 4-5 weeks.

#7 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

That team was freaking awful to watch, was like drawing blood from a stone. Sutter quit on his system after about 4-5 weeks.

Compared to next season where Sutter quit on his system in the playoffs

#8 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,886 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

Compared to next season where Sutter quit on his system in the playoffs

I've never wanted to strangle a Devils coach more than when he was just about double shifting Madden and Pandolfo in the playoffs that year. That was inexcusable.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#9 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

He didn't have much choice. He knew he didn't have the right guys in place, or that they simply weren't taking to it, so he adjusted and mananged to get 99 points out of a team that probably didn't have much business finishing with that many. I think it was his coaching that allowed the Devils to draw blood from a stone. And you are right, that was an ugly team that almost never enjoyed a laugher...every game felt like a struggle.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#10 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

i remember that that team was playing hard though... they'd dive to keep puck in the zone or to pokecheck and everything. you don't see that anymore. Of course you got to be sure you make the right thing cause if you dive and miss youre out of the play for awhile.

www.SterioDesign.com

#11 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

I think the overall group this year is better, but Brodeur was simply amazing that year. How many 1-0, 2-1 games did he win?

Edited by SMantzas, 18 January 2013 - 08:18 AM.

#12 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

we have deboer this time around, i don't know what he does or says but this team responded awfully fast to him after the maclean disaster.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#13 oat77

oat77

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

We also don't have Colin White anymore. While I can't prove it, i swear he was on the ice at the end of every game that the other team brought out an extra attacker. And for years I would be forced to watch him out of position, spinning in circles trying to find a puck that was already put in the net to tie the game up.

We finally got rid of him and we started nailing empty netters to finish games. Hell, I think parise made an entire playoffs out of empty netters.

Coincidence!? I think not.

"I love working for New Jersey," Burns said. "They've been great to me. They've supported me. (General manager) Lou (Lamoriello) is a godsend for me because he's looked after me, and I know I can stay close to hockey."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users