859 replies to this topic

#261 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,189 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

And now we have OT in a preseason game lmfao.  

But really it's kinda sad that the one thing Geno had going for him before tonight was he wasn't Sanchez...and the one thing Sanchez had going for him was his durability.  So much for the former and who knows about the latter at this point :P

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#262 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

Well who knows what happened to that shoulder, but I thought it was much worse when he was laying on the field. He popped up, tried to throw a few warmups and then called it a night.

Strange thing is that he looked really good on the few throws before that

Geno looked horrible for the most part. But it can be excused with him since he's a rookie. 2 of the picks were really bad. The other was sort of his fault as well but I'd like to see more fight out of the receiver since the ball was in his hands. Kyle Wilson was terrible. He belongs in the slot exclusively. Ball is being thrown to his receiver and he doesn't even turn his head around.

Rex dialed up some regular blitz packages. Nothing special. Still other than the fluke 1st play of the game, the Giants did very little offensively. Sheldon Richardson looked terrific.

Stephen Hill caught everything today, can't fumble the ball though. Kellen Winslow looked very good.

Edited by '7', 24 August 2013 - 09:49 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#263 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,189 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

I can't get over Coughlin icing the kicker (TWICE) in OT of a preseason game.  Pure hilarity.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#264 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:07 PM

I can't get over Coughlin icing the kicker (TWICE) in OT of a preseason game.  Pure hilarity.

why he didn't just go for the win in regulation? Instead he choses the "safe" field goal attempt. Something about Coughlin. I just can't stand the guy.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#265 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,189 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

Rex completely lost his mind in the press conference (it was on the NFLN)...couldn't adequately explain why he had Sanchez in the game playing behind second-string linemen, got defensive when he was pushed and looked rattled jerking his head all over the place.  If Sanchez is actually out for a long time that's kind of a fireable offense.  I mean Sanchez isn't all that great but to lose your most experienced QB in the fourth quarter of a preseason game with guys who'll be bagging groceries in a couple weeks blocking for him is ridiculous.

#266 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:23 PM

Rex completely lost his mind in the press conference (it was on the NFLN)...couldn't adequately explain why he had Sanchez in the game playing behind second-string linemen, got defensive when he was pushed and looked rattled jerking his head all over the place.  If Sanchez is actually out for a long time that's kind of a fireable offense.  I mean Sanchez isn't all that great but to lose your most experienced QB in the fourth quarter of a preseason game with guys who'll be bagging groceries in a couple weeks blocking for him is ridiculous.

but they were playing against the Giants second stringers as well. So it's not absolutely crazy. It's not like he had Sanchez out there against Lawrence Taylor.

1st stringer vs 1st stringers...2nd stringers vs 2nd stringers, unless you didn't want Sanchez to play at all, that injury could've happened if Sanchez started as well (Geno took some hits)

#267 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

That was the worst excuse of a football game. Both teams were awful. Giants continue their tradition of settling for field goals in the red zone. Jets basically are trying to ruin Smith before the reg. season. Ryan is a puppet. Can't believe Coughlin iced both kickers. It should've just ended in a tie. What's the point of playing overtime when it doesn't count? Stevie Wilson went down for us. And Sanchez again makes you feel sorry for him. He is so unfairly treated. Then turns it over comically epitomizing his career. Jets showed a decent pass rush. But both ex-Cowboy kickers stink. If anything, that game showed how unprepared both teams are.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#268 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,189 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

but they were playing against the Giants second stringers as well. So it's not absolutely crazy. It's not like he had Sanchez out there against Lawrence Taylor.

1st stringer vs 1st stringers...2nd stringers vs 2nd stringers, unless you didn't want Sanchez to play at all, that injury could've happened if Sanchez started as well (Geno took some hits)

You don't need to be a first-stringer to rush the passer, especially when line breakdowns happen with inexperienced players that don't play with each other all that much.  It's dumb...if you're going to play Sanchez at least give him the first-string offensive line.

#269 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:33 AM

Rex made himself look like a big buffoon after the game.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=FpAOL7OofSE

I'm the biggest anti-Sanchez guy here yet I even recognize that he shouldn't have been in there at all. If there was any chance he was going to be the starter come Week 1, which seemed pretty likely about 1.5 quarters into last night's game, he just can't be in there. If they wanted to give Sanchez some reps, do it in Week 4 for a few drives with the first team, even if you're facing the other team's backups, not in the middle of the 4th quarter in this game. Just really strange. 

Edited by nmigliore, 25 August 2013 - 07:46 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#270 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:45 PM

Rex made himself look like a big buffoon after the game.

I'm the biggest anti-Sanchez guy here yet I even recognize that he shouldn't have been in there at all. If there was any chance he was going to be the starter come Week 1, which seemed pretty likely about 1.5 quarters into last night's game, he just can't be in there. If they wanted to give Sanchez some reps, do it in Week 4 for a few drives with the first team, even if you're facing the other team's backups, not in the middle of the 4th quarter in this game. Just really strange.

Honestly, this is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't moves.

If Sanchez doesn't go in there, Rex is blamed for not giving him as many reps as possible, or messing with Sanchez's confidence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#271 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:10 PM

Honestly, this is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't moves.

If Sanchez doesn't go in there, Rex is blamed for not giving him as many reps as possible, or messing with Sanchez's confidence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I believe the thought was to get Sanchez some confidence against Giant back-ups. That just backfired.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#272 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

Honestly, this is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't moves. If Sanchez doesn't go in there, Rex is blamed for not giving him as many reps as possible, or messing with Sanchez's confidence.

..bingo
It's hysterical how Rex is being taken to task about putting Sanchez in there to try and win a meaningless game. Yet Tom Coughlin extended the game on 3 occasions.. 1 FG to head into OT, and 2 TO's to ice the kickers --which both worked.. yet he's not reckless for trying to win the same stupid preseason game?? Stevie Brown is gone for the year thanks to the opening kick-off in overtime, and somehow TC's teflon.

Edited by Beezer34, 25 August 2013 - 09:31 PM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#273 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

[quote name="Beezer34" post="1208050" timestamp=" and somehow TC's teflon.[/quote]

To be fair, you get a little slack when you win two superbowls
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#274 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

Stevie Brown is gone for the year thanks to the opening kick-off in overtime.

What? Stevie Brown went down on his own (non-contact play) in the 1st quarter, returning an INT. 

Edited by nmigliore, 26 August 2013 - 08:10 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#275 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,371 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

Honestly, this is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't moves. If Sanchez doesn't go in there, Rex is blamed for not giving him as many reps as possible, or messing with Sanchez's confidence. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, this is pretty much an impossible spot for Rex, it really is.  I think we all know that the Jets would love for Smith to be the guy, but they want Sanchez to be ready too, in case Smith isn't quite ready, but they also want to be able to replace Sanchez with Smith as soon as Sanchez falters.  They seem to want to be prepared for every possible scenario, without really committing to anything.  I think Rex's head is spinning right now, and I think as a head coach that has seen some of his power stripped, I think he's being put in the position of looking like the bad guy. 

I'm not saying Rex hasn't made his share of mistakes, but he's in a terrible spot right now...he's about to enter his fifth year, and probably loses his job after the season if he doesn't win some games.  If he bites the bullet and commits to Smith, who clearly looks like he needs work, the Jets are very likely to have a rough year, and Rex will get canned.  But the organization doesn't seem like it's willing to offer Sanchez much in the way of confidence and/or support, so how is Rex supposed to win with him?  It's feeling more and more like the Jets should've just shown Rex and Sanchez the door.       

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#276 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

What? Stevie Brown went down on his own (non-contact play) in the 1st quarter, returning an INT

..you're correct. I confused the injury with Laron Scott.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#277 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,059 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

Honestly, this is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't moves. If Sanchez doesn't go in there, Rex is blamed for not giving him as many reps as possible, or messing with Sanchez's confidence.

..bingo
It's hysterical how Rex is being taken to task about putting Sanchez in there to try and win a meaningless game. Yet Tom Coughlin extended the game on 3 occasions.. 1 FG to head into OT, and 2 TO's to ice the kickers --which both worked.. yet he's not reckless for trying to win the same stupid preseason game?? Stevie Brown is gone for the year thanks to the opening kick-off in overtime, and somehow TC's teflon.

Slack tends to be extended when you, ya know, win two Super Bowls.

Edited by MadDog2020, 26 August 2013 - 10:41 AM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#278 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

and in a move that will certainlly push someone here over the edge, the jets have released braylon edwards

#279 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:35 AM

To be fair, you get a little slack when you win two superbowls

he does...that's why last years hazing incident for the Giants got swept under the rug. I can't understand winners get more slack, but his douchebaggish antics are still douchebaggish. 

#280 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:39 AM

Slack tends to be extended when you, ya know, win two Super Bowls.

+1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users