2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

Well it's too early to say this game was a "turning point" or anything, but this is the best game a Jets QB played in a long long time.

I'd argue to say Geno single-handedly won this game for the Jets. Couldn't agree with you more.

..don't want to sound too greedy here, but as much as I'm thrilled with where this team is.. I can't help but feel we should be 4-1. We outplayed NE for 4 quarters, and came up empty. 3 weeks later, I'm still lamenting that loss.

And you probably should've lost the Tampa Bay game if you're going to go that route.     

Also pretty hard to make a case for the Jets winning the game against the Pats where they were -4 in turnovers. 

I'd argue to say Geno single-handedly won this game for the Jets.

I would argue that Smith succeeded because the coaching staff didn't ask him to do too much.

Last night's game was one of the best coached game in the Rex era in every phase of the game.

Through three quarters the D was amazing and had Matt Ryan hearing footsteps.

Morningweig's personnel shifting and play call had Atlanta on their heels. It's much easier for a QB to manage a game with a lead.

they should have lost last night to. while we r playing what if, the jets should be 1-4. theyre a very lucky team. no matter, pats still have more wins.

no not really. The Jets were leading by two touchdowns. The only reason Atlanta even went ahead (by 1 point) was because the refs threw a ticky tacky flag to give Atlanta a 2nd chance where Gonzalez was being legally blocked (and not held) within 5 yards. He was even released right before 5 yards. Refs absolutely screwed em there. But it didn't matter in the end.

Atlanta had an opportunity to stop the Jets. They didn't. Jets deserved that win 100%

Sure they could've beaten NE, and they could've lost to Tampa. But things worked out the way they did. They are 3-2 and it's pretty much what they should be

Yea the NE game is still bothersome. I just wish they didn't get away from the running game so early. But Geno threw 3 picks in that game and he had a chance there just like he had last night. He came through in Atlanta. Not in NE.

NE had drops in that game, and a missed FG. Jets had drops. That was a weird game

Edited by '7'

they should have lost last night to. while we r playing what if, the jets should be 1-4. theyre a very lucky team. no matter, pats still have more wins.

Beez may be over-the-top with his homerism (declaring the Jets should be 4-1 is just dumb), but I think the Jets are a pretty legit 3-2.  They never trailed in the game against the Bills, and though the Falcons did take a late one-point lead, there was 1:54 on the clock and the Jets had all of their timeouts, and had played well on offense for much of the game.  I wasn't terribly surprised that they pulled it out last night.   

Jets definitely got some luck against Tampa...it took Tampa doing something stupid to get the Jets that win.  And like I said, re:  the Pats, I can't make a "should have won" case for a -4 turnover team, but Beez always leaves key details (like the TO differential) out.  If you want to say the Jets could be 2-3, I guess you can make that argument...but everything being equal, the Jets have been competitive in four out of five games (I thought that's how their season would go...that they would find a way to stay in a good portion of their games)...and when you hang around, you can find ways to pull these games out, especially if the other team (like Tampa) makes a costly mistake. 

So I think the Jets really are where they should be...3-2.  They've earned it.   

Yea the NE game is still bothersome. I just wish they didn't get away from the running game so early. But Geno threw 3 picks in that game and he had a chance there just like he had last night. He came through in Atlanta. Not in NE.

NE had drops in that game, and a missed FG. Jets had drops. That was a weird game

I mean c'mon.. 13-10 ?!? :glare: Brady did NOTHING, absolutely nothing. A couple more things that went our way that game, and WFAN's talking about a team that's sitting ontop the Division, with two back-to-back home games on the horizon. As I said.. still upsetting.

no matter, pats still have more wins.

..they sure do! So does Indy, KC, Denver, and.... hmmm, hang on a second........ let's see now... who else in the AFC?? B )

no not really. The Jets were leading by two touchdowns. The only reason Atlanta even went ahead (by 1 point) was because the refs threw a ticky tacky flag to give Atlanta a 2nd chance where Gonzalez was being legally blocked (and not held) within 5 yards. He was even released right before 5 yards. Refs absolutely screwed em there. But it didn't matter in the end.

Atlanta had an opportunity to stop the Jets. They didn't. Jets deserved that win 100%

Sure they could've beaten NE, and they could've lost to Tampa. But things worked out the way they did. They are 3-2 and it's pretty much what they should be

Much fairer assessment of the NE-Jet game, and you at least acknowledge that the Jets could have lost against Tampa.  That NE-Jet game was ugly.  Mistakes on both sides, but the most costly ones were on the Jets' side.  Brady's stat line from that game doesn't look good, but his receivers had some brutal drops that game.  Dobson's comes to mind. 

Neither team turned in the kind of performance that screams "they deserved this game!", but 3 picks and a lost fumble is a lot to expect one's team to overcome.   

oh boy u really got me there!!!!!!!!!!! i guess that means the jets r 5th best in the conference!! :rolleyes:    get real

is it so unreasonable to say that they are?

They haven't played Miami yet...but both teams are pretty even.

Could they beat Cleveland and Cincy and Baltimore? Of course they can. Those teams aren't juggernauts. I don't expect the Jets to win all 3. But 2 of 3 is doable. And they can split with Miami and beat Buffalo.

It's funny how there are some guys whose entire NFL lives are rooting against the Jets. Man it's hilarious when you guys flail desperately. 

go pick a team. It makes following the NFL a lot more fun

Edited by '7'

oh boy u really got me there!!!!!!!!!!! i guess that means the jets r 5th best in the conference!! :rolleyes: get real

is it so unreasonable to say that they are?

They haven't played Miami yet...but both teams are pretty even.

Could they beat Cleveland and Cincy and Baltimore? Of course they can. Those teams aren't juggernauts. I don't expect the Jets to win all 3. But 2 of 3 is doable. And they can split with Miami and beat Buffalo.

It's funny how there are some guys whose entire NFL lives are rooting against the Jets. Man it's hilarious when you guys flail desperately.

go pick a team. It makes following the NFL a lot more fun

The Jets will at least split the series with the Phins, and more likely than not will sweep. You are also right that Cleveland, Baltimore and Cincy are all very winnable games, although I'm not sure whether those games are at home or on the road.

Geno was better than Tannehill against the Falcons, and on the road no less. Whether you want to attribute that to poor Miami offensive line play is up to you, but the results speak for themselves.

I love it as much as anyone when the Jets fall all over themselves. But I will give them credit when they deserve it.

• Week 1;  vs. Tampa – WIN  (win)
  • Week 2;  @ Patriots – LOSS  (loss)
  • Week 3;  vs. Buffalo – WIN  (win)
  • Week 4;  @ Titans – WIN  (loss)
  • Week 5;  @ Atlanta – LOSS  (win)
  • Week 6;  @ Steelers – LOSS  (loss)
  • Week 7;  vs. Patriots – WIN
  • Week 8;  @ Bengals – LOSS
  • Week 10;  vs. Saints – LOSS
  • Week 11;  @ Buffalo – WIN
  • Week 12;  @ Ravens – LOSS
  • Week 13;  vs. Fish – WIN
  • Week 14;  vs. Raiders – WIN
  • Week 15;  @ Panthers – WIN
  • Week 16;  vs. Browns – WIN
  • Week 17;  @ Miami - LOSS

Gotta give some credit where it's due...Beez had the Jets at 3-3 through Week 6, and that's where they are.  Even had four out of the six results correct.

Here's where I think it gets interesting for the Jets:

I think they need to beat NE on Sunday, because I do think the Bengals and Saints will win.  If they get through those three games with a 4-5 record overall, they're in pretty good shape.  Because from Week 11-16, depending on where Geno is in his development (and if he can turn some vs. Atlanta-type performances in), the Jets could go 4-2 or even 5-1 in those six games...5-1 seems uberoptimistic (Baltimore is never a fun building to go into), but 4-2 doesn't seem like THAT far of a stretch.

Doing the math: 

If the Jets are 3-6, they could be 7-8 or 8-7 going into Week 17.

If the Jets are 4-5, they could be 8-7 or 9-6 going into Week 17.

Even if they lose all three of their next games, I don't think they'll lie down...they find a way to win four games down the stretch, and probably screw up at least one bubble team's chances along the way. 

I think they'll beat Buffalo and the Raiders, and take one out of two against Miami.  That's six wins.  So the question becomes:  out of the Pats, Bengals, Saints, Ravens, Panthers, and Browns, how many of those games can they win?  Three might be enough to give them the #6 seed...of course, those games mean a bit less if they can somehow sweep Miami.

But the guess here is, even with a bad loss against Pittsburgh, the Jets should remain relevant well into the last quarter of the season.        

I don't think our brutal schedule stops with Week 10 really...the Bills always give us problems one game each year.  If they're still running out dregs like Thad Lewis or Matt Flynn (eek) that's one thing, but if Manuel's back by Week 11 that's another.  And the Ravens have owned us for eternity.  At most I can see them winning maybe the Pats or Saints game and the Bills one, and the former might be stretching it a bit.  Then they'd really have to win four in a row to have a shot from 5-6.  I don't think we're consistent enough or have enough firepower to do all that though it'd be nice if that happened.  

I kind of give us a better shot at the Saints at this point with the bye week and Rex knowing his brother's defense (though the reverse is true too)...the Jets are running out ninth-rate receivers again this week with Holmes hurt, Winslow suspended, maybe Hill hurt too.  And Cro's hurt so the D's playing with a hand tied behind its back too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Interesting number, re: the Jets...they're -11 in turnovers, yet are 3-3 (14 giveaways, 3 takeaways).  That's pretty hard to do.  Ranks them 15th out of 16 AFC teams, ahead of only Houston. 

With a rookie QB, turnovers going the other way were to be expected, but it's the lack of takeaways that are kind of surprising.  Jets had 23 of them in 2012, 31 in 2011, and 30 in 2010.  Only 3 takeaways through 6 games is pretty rare. 

If Jet fans are looking for a reason to be optimistic, that's a pretty good one...it's doubtful they're going to finish with just 8 takeaways on the season (the pace they're currently on). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Jets sign 3x Probowler, Josh Cribbs..

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/15/jets-set-to-sign-josh-cribbs-finally/

..take care Gates! Don't let the door hit you, where the good Lord split you!!

Lmfao, Gates. I can't believe that scrub hung around on your roster as long as he did. One of my favorite parts of Hard Knocks last year was when they showed Philbin talking to one the assistant coaches during the beginning of practice and he says incredulously about Gates' goofing off during drills: 'ya know maybe Gates can go out there and run a couple routes and catch a couple balls...' A few days later- cut. That dude is garbage.
  • Like 1

Lmfao, Gates. I can't believe that scrub hung around on your roster as long as he did. One of my favorite parts of Hard Knocks last year was when they showed Philbin talking to one the assistant coaches during the beginning of practice and he says incredulously about Gates' goofing off during drills: 'ya know maybe Gates can go out there and run a couple routes and catch a couple balls...' A few days later- cut. That dude is garbage.

I never really understood the Jets love-affair with him either. It made sense somewhat last season, what with Sparano and all.. but the fact that Gates was not only brought back this year, but chosen over a guy like Mohamed Massaquoi during cuts, boggles the mind.

I never really understood the Jets love-affair with him either. It made sense somewhat last season, what with Sparano and all.. but the fact that Gates was not only brought back this year, but chosen over a guy like Mohamed Massaquoi during cuts, boggles the mind.

His speed will always tempt teams to take a shot with him.

Cribbs is a solid signing (if healthy) because he can finally bring back the element that we lost with Brad Smith. He can be a wildcat runner or thrower...heck even as just a pure route running receiver he's probably better than Gates.

Don't have much of a feel for this game. I have to guess MM will come out and really attack the Pats D aggressively especially if Talib is out (Mayo might be out too...then again they both might play)

Both teams are very wounded coming in. I sort of fear Brady will just go ahead and morph Austin Collie into Welker v.3 or something

Would be nice if Milliner played

Cribbs is a solid signing (if healthy) because he can finally bring back the element that we lost with Brad Smith. He can be a wildcat runner or thrower...heck even as just a pure route running receiver he's probably better than Gates.

Don't have much of a feel for this game. I have to guess MM will come out and really attack the Pats D aggressively especially if Talib is out (Mayo might be out too...then again they both might play)

Both teams are very wounded coming in. I sort of fear Brady will just go ahead and morph Austin Collie into Welker v.3 or something

Would be nice if Milliner played

Mayo is out for the season...torn pectoral muscle.

Don't know what Talib's status is. 

Well, it seems like he's got a chip on his shoulder..

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-5/Josh-Cribbs-Enjoying-His-Rebirth-as-a-Jet/9e4982f0-018f-4e6b-83f1-e75cf06ee516

I’m finally healthy now, 110%. 111% really, and I’m ready to be used any way that they need me. I want to hear all the naysayers. I’m trying to hear that, because I use it for motivation. I’ve been working hard. Keep talking.. please, because I’m going to get the job done. I picked up some weight through the years, muscle mass. So if somebody’s fast enough to catch up to me, they ain’t going to be strong enough to bring me down. That’s kind of my motto. I’m going to run through arm tackles. I’m going to run through kickers. You’ve got to put a body on me to bring me down. You're going to have to. I’m not going to be a fast small guy. If you’re fast enough to bring me down, that’s half the battle.” --Josh Cribbs

Edited by Beezer34