859 replies to this topic

#321 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,924 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

After what I saw of Geno last weekend there's literally no shot the Jets win Week 1 if the rumors are true about Sanchez being out. There's also no chance they win 6-7 home games, they've never been a good home team.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 30 August 2013 - 01:49 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#322 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,008 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

Beez made a mistake on the schedule (Jets' game against Pitt is at home, not on the road)...he's got them going 6-2 at home, 3-5 on the road.  9-7 seems generous...somewhere between 5-11 and 7-9 seems more realistic.  If the Jets go .500 this season, and split with the Patriots, I'll think they did a hell of a job. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#323 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,924 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

Yeah I saw 6-1 and knew there was a game missing somewhere, but that stood out either way. Other than '98 we always seem to be 3-5 to 5-3 at best at home.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#324 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,098 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

Beez made a mistake on the schedule (Jets' game against Pitt is at home, not on the road)...he's got them going 6-2 at home, 3-5 on the road.  9-7 seems generous...somewhere between 5-11 and 7-9 seems more realistic.  If the Jets go .500 this season, and split with the Patriots, I'll think they did a hell of a job. 

Yep, agreed with this, 5 to 7 win season is my expectation. Sanchez stinks, Geno hasn't looked ready, and the offensive talent around them leaves a lot to be desired. Two of the better skillplayers are either hurt (Holmes) or prone to getting hurt (Ivory). The defense should keep them in games but it's tough to imagine even a .500 team. That's probably the ceiling here if things go right (eg: Holmes comes back with no issues, Ivory stays relatively healthy, one of Sanchez/Geno give them below average-but-not-Matt Cassel/Brady Quinn-bad QB play, etc.).

Edited by nmigliore, 30 August 2013 - 03:24 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#325 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,008 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

Agree nmig, I think they'll be more competitive within games than people think...they'll hang around in some third quarters against superior teams and have those teams' fans muttering to themselves...I think they'll make one of their two games against the Pats interesting (like last season).  But yeah, can't see them winning less than 5 (I don't think this season is going to be nearly as bad for the Jets as the 3 and 4 win crowd seems to think), and winning more than 7.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 31 August 2013 - 04:30 AM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#326 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

And the Jets have already cut Carpenter. That didn't take long lol.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#327 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

New England Patriots release Tim Tebow. #SHOCKED-lol

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#328 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

Saints cut Jim Leonhard..
..as I said weeks ago, this has less to do with Jimmy's skill, and WAY more to do with NO's massive depth @ FS & SS. Wouldn't shock me of the Jets scoop him up tomorrow.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#329 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,764 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

Yes could call on that Beez. I hope the Jets scoop up Leonhard to shore up the safety position.

Also, they cut Obomanu and kept Harrell? Huh? Obomanu looked very good in pre season and we still have Simms behind Smith.

Could mean Holmes is ready to go week 1, or they just scoop up Braylon again.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#330 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,924 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

Jets sign Brady Quinn lol (cuttting Harrell)...looks like the injury to Sanchez is worse than they're letting on too, joy.  Now we have to throw Geno - who clearly isn't ready - to the wolves unless they nut up and start Matt Simms :P

Edited by NJDevs4978, 02 September 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#331 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,764 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

I think Geno at his age and experience level, likely beat out Sanchez for the job anyway just by going by training camp stats. What does that say about Sanchez going into his 5th year? At least Smith has plenty of room for improvement. If he's even with Sanchez now, then I'm fine with starting him even if he's "not ready". It means Sanchez is not ready either.

Quinn and Simms at 2 and 3...fine with that.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#332 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,924 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

Geno starting the season is a disaster waiting to happen imo.  If you started Sanchez at least you could know he's disposable in a worst-case then bring Geno in after 5-6 games to be the savior with far less pressure.  However, the pressure'll be intense off the hop now.  A 3-4 INT game in Week 1 with Revis likely getting at least one will get everyone thinking 'same ol' nonsense'.  As Sanchez has shown, once you fall in a hole with the NY crowd it's pretty hard to get out.  That preseason game with the Giants already threw out a bunch of red flags.

Plus what happens if Geno bombs the first 5-6 games?   You can't very well go back to Sanchez as a dead man walking.  

Edited by NJDevs4978, 02 September 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#333 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,924 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

btw Jim Leonhard signs with the Bills.  I would liked to have seen him back too but oh well...not like he'd stay healthy the whole season anyway :P

#334 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

Geno starting the season is a disaster waiting to happen imo. If you started Sanchez at least you could know he's disposable in a worst-case then bring Geno in after 5-6 games to be the savior with far less pressure. However, the pressure'll be intense off the hop now. A 3-4 INT game in Week 1 with Revis likely getting at least one will get everyone thinking 'same ol' nonsense'. As Sanchez has shown, once you fall in a hole with the NY crowd it's pretty hard to get out. That preseason game with the Giants already threw out a bunch of red flags.

Plus what happens if Geno bombs the first 5-6 games? You can't very well go back to Sanchez as a dead man walking.

The other reason starting Geno Smith right now might be a disaster is because he's not a good quarterback to begin with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#335 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,008 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:22 AM

Not sure if Jets fans are familiar with Manish Mehta, but this is the clown that Chris Christie, when Christie made an appearance on the WFAN, ripped on about a week ago...of course, with the media being the incestuous protective clan that they are, Lupica and others immediately came to his defense.

Well, here's the latest bit of nonsense this complete zilch of a "sports journalist" came up with:

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1444054

In a way, I know me even mentioning this is a win for both Mehta and the NY Daily News, because he's a tabloid writer working for a tabloid paper, and the ONLY thing a rag outfit like that cares about is that you're talking about its authors and/or articles...doesn't matter if it's good or bad, just talk.  But this Mehta - clearly yet another wanna-be who was probably always the last one picked to play ANY sport when he was a kid, when he actually WAS picked - is a complete joke of a beat writer, an absolute assclown, much in mold of Neverson.  Same as Neverson, whenever this douche wants to try to support an idea of his, he goes to the good ol' standby "a source says...sources say...blah blah blah"...as we all know, once a writer does that, he can say just about anything he wants...doesn't matter if it's at all true or factual.  But it's the whole central theme of the article that is so off-base...heaven forbid Rex actually goes to his son's friggin' FOOTBALL game (may be the only one he's able to get to this season) without some wanna-be little zilch nudge writer jumping all over him for it, and trying to make a story out of it. 

And these pen-chewing DORKS (and that's what most of these sportswriters are, unathletic dorks who haven't the slightest idea about what it's really like to play in sporting events at the highest level, let alone coach or build to try to build a winning team, but seem to know exactly what these athletes and everyone else involved should be doing on and off the field at all times), probably still harboring bitterness that they were never allowed to play, come up with articles like this that are nothing but just pure absolute garbage, dreck and drivel...and they wonder why some athletes don't want to spare them so much as an innocuous quote.  As much as Tortorella could be a douche in his own right, one only has to read Larry Brooks' articles and see him to understand why Torts wanted nothing to do with him.       

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 03 September 2013 - 06:22 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#336 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,924 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

Most fans on the Jets board I post on absolutely cannot stand Mehta (or Rich Cimini for that matter). They see these guys as having an agenda and being arrogantly negative all the time. However just cause they always go the anon source route doesn't mean they don't have someone feeding them info too. It became the world's most well known secret that former defensive coordinator Mike Pettine was the source for most of Mehta's hack jobs last year.

That said it is a bit unusual to skip out on cut day, at least it seems that way just from watching Hard Knocks, maybe the coach isn't in the room for every single cut but he's usually around for at least some. And there is some truth to the 'Rex has been muzzled' theory when you compare his demeanor and openness from a couple years ago till now. But if the organization gave its blessing to Rex not being there then ultimately it's not a big deal.

#337 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

FWIW, Mike Golic said, under the circumstances, it's not that big a deal. 

Otherwise, the article is crap.  It's not that hard to find an anonymous source to say something bad about someone. 

Things like this are only a fiasco because a few guys with keyboards say it is.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#338 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

FWIW, Mike Golic said, under the circumstances, it's not that big a deal. 

Otherwise, the article is crap.  It's not that hard to find an anonymous source to say something bad about someone. 

http://www.nypost.co...ijQ8lziQ4eDfDlN

Manish is getting killed by just about everybody these days.. but the fact that he's now getting ripped in today's article by his fellow people is telling. He's completely lost his credibility, and now his peers are distancing themselves from him.

Won't be long now before he's moved off the beat. His blog comments are bare.. his tweets never get retweeted anymore.. and judging by the way he posts the same link to what he wrote 6 times, his hit count(s) for his articles must be low too.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IhHI4Q_UXoo

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HEW6GQWFHl8

That said it is a bit unusual to skip out on cut day, at least it seems that way just from watching Hard Knocks, maybe the coach isn't in the room for every single cut but he's usually around for at least some.

http://espn.go.com/n...day-controversy

..cuts were made Friday. Mehta's a clown.

Edited by Beezer34, 04 September 2013 - 08:49 AM.

#339 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:38 AM

Geno = Akili Smith 2.0

#340 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,764 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

Geno = Akili Smith 2.0

And you're basing that on what?

I didn't love the pick either, but I don't think it's possible that he's Akili Smith terrible

Edited by '7', 05 September 2013 - 02:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users