#341 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

Geno = Akili Smith 2.0

Akili Smith was considered a reach at the time, (or he kind of came out of nowhere), and was the number 3 pick.

Geno is a second round draft pick that isn't getting paid a ton of money.  He's not the type of draft pick that will force you to forego drafting or signing a better quarterback if the opportunity arises, i.e. the Jets don't have to give him a chance.  If the Jets, and hence Geno Smith, stink this year, it shouldn't stop the Jets from drafting Teddy Bridgewater.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#342 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,112 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

Thoughts

The Jets D-Line isn't just good. It's TERRIFYING. The Bucs have an above average line and the Jets manhandled them today. Bucs guards and tackles were being tossed around and trucked like pieces of garbage. I absolutely can't wait to see it when Coples gets back. Every time martin had the ball he had 4 Jets in his face

Secondary...meh. Milliner had a rough game at times. Wasn't bad, wasn't great. Still needs some time to gel.

Bad call by Rex with the sellout blitz which led to the Vincent Jackson big gainer. They saw it coming a mile away, hot route, once Landry missed that tackle Jackson could've taken it to the house

Clock management...seems like the Jets got a bit scrambly when Tampa had it in their territory late. Apparently Rex was trying to flag the ref down to get a TO but they didn't hear/see him. So I'll give him a pass

Running game, non existent. Hopefully Goodson helps when he comes back. I think against some weaker fronts Ivory/Powell can be productive, but Tampa was too physical for them

Tremendous job by Folk. Huge clutch kick

Stephen Hill, 6 catches, 0 drops

Kellen Winslow...we have a nice safety valve for Geno

Geno overall had an up and down game. But he already looks to be as polished (if not moreso) than Sanchez. Didn't force anything into triple coverage...THREW THE BALL AWAY. He was hung out to dry a few times when we didn't pick up blitzes. Does hold the ball a bit long but has good escapability as well. He's smarter with the football. But I didn't see any of those glaring overthrows and just flat out not seeing wide open guys like with Sanchez

Tampa with a few dirty hits in the secondary. Scumbags

Thank you Marty Mornhingweg for taking advantage of tampa's over pursuit with some well timed screens!

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#343 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,420 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

I wasn't crazy about the third down Kerley wildcat pass early in the game but other than that can't really get on the playcalling at all...Powell and Ivory were just bleh running the ball but I guess that's to be expected against a top run D.  

That was about as good as you could have hoped for from Geno, a lot better than I thought he'd be capable of after the Giants disaster.  Maybe some of his issues were due to the ankle in preseason.  He certainly knew when to run it and when to slide.  Sweet game from Winslow too.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#344 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,112 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

I wasn't crazy about the third down Kerley wildcat pass early in the game but other than that can't really get on the playcalling at all...Powell and Ivory were just bleh running the ball but I guess that's to be expected against a top run D.  

That was about as good as you could have hoped for from Geno, a lot better than I thought he'd be capable of after the Giants disaster.  Maybe some of his issues were due to the ankle in preseason.  He certainly knew when to run it and when to slide.  Sweet game from Winslow too.

We also won with Holmes being completely neutralized (Revis + Injury...what can you do) I think when we play teams with more mediocre secondary's...you'll see them sling the ball around more.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#345 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,420 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

I was wondering if we'd have ANY receivers left after that idiot Goldson was running around taking cheap shots all day but I guess that's no surprise considering who his head coach is.  Schiano and Jim Schwartz are the two dirtiest coaches in the league.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 08 September 2013 - 04:23 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#346 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,112 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:29 PM

I was wondering if we'd have ANY receivers left after that idiot Goldson was running around taking cheap shots all day but I guess that's no surprise considering who his head coach is.  Schiano and Jim Schwartz are the two dirtiest coaches in the league.

Yea I was thinking Idzik was already on the phone scheduling Braylong Edwards Part IV (he may be anyway) Goldson is a clown, and if there's any karma he'll knock himself silly with some of those torpedo helmet to helmet shots.

I'm hoping he gets at least a fine

Edited by '7', 08 September 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#347 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,420 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

On the one hand it kinda sucks we have to play the Pats in four days and don't have time to enjoy this, on the other hand you might as well play them now before they get Gronk back since their offense missed the TE threat big-time today.

#348 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

NJDevs4978, this is a good time for your team to take on the Pats.  They are not jelling yet.  I can't see that magically getting better in a short week.  That offense needs practice, practice and more practice.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#349 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

Great game by our boys.. but now it's time to beat New England.

In a way, I'm glad that we play them on the short week.. it allows that momentum to carry over quicker. Ideally I would've prefered Sanchez going against NE this week, but what are you going to do. Maybe Geno shows us his best in 3 days. Even one pick I can live with, but if he turns the ball over twice again, that may be one too many to beat the Pats. I will say this about GS though.. what he lacks in exp. he makes up for with his legs. That guy can run! -and that's something that defenses will have to keep an eye on. Maybe NE will put a spy on him, which would open up the receivers a bit.

It's only 1 game though, so I'm not going to get crazy. (yet) We were 1-0 the past two seasons, and look how they turned out. Likewise, we were 0-1 in 2010! :P

The Jets D-Line isn't just good. It's TERRIFYING. The Bucs have an above average line and the Jets manhandled them today. Bucs guards and tackles were being tossed around and trucked like pieces of garbage. I absolutely can't wait to see it when Coples gets back. Every time martin had the ball he had 4 Jets in his face

Running game, non existent. Hopefully Goodson helps when he comes back. I think against some weaker fronts Ivory/Powell can be productive, but Tampa was too physical for

Thank you Marty Mornhingweg for taking advantage of tampa's over pursuit with some well timed screens!

Tampa's front seven is very good.. so I expect the running game to improve a bit. I know it's only 1 game, but the Jets d-line looks incredible. This will also make life a bit easier on the secondary, and help mitigate the loss of Revis. I've been waiting 8 years for a legit pass rush, and it looks like we now may have one.

..and MM may be the biggest acqusition this franchise has made since Tuna. The guy can call an offense based on whoever is the QB.. simple as that!

Yea I was thinking Idzik was already on the phone scheduling Braylon Edwards Part IV (he may be anyway)

I think Braylon & Brady Quinn coming back tomorrow are two foregone conclusions. Hill, Kerley, & Gates are all banged up.. and Holmes really doesn't look like Holmes yet either. Plus it wouldn't hurt to give NE some psychological unease to have him on the field.

Edited by Beezer34, 09 September 2013 - 08:01 AM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#350 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

I agree MM was the best coaching decision in a long time for the Jets. But like any system to be successful it will be based on the quality of its parts. The last two years in Philly the O-line was its demise.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#351 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,817 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

Wasn't thrilled with the wildcat but yeah, MM called a great game

#352 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

'7' -- The Bucs O-Line is not good.  In the preseason game, the Dolphins D-Line pushed them all over the place.  It's why I would have been hesitant to draft Doug Martin.

Bottom line, I wouldn't get too excited if I were a Jets fan, at least not yet.  If Geno is productve against the Pats you might have something. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#353 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

'7' -- The Bucs O-Line is not good.  In the preseason game, the Dolphins D-Line pushed them all over the place.  It's why I would have been hesitant to draft Doug Martin.

Bottom line, I wouldn't get too excited if I were a Jets fan, at least not yet.  If Geno is productve against the Pats you might have something. 

u have to understamnd, going 1-0 is the superbowl for the jets. they won by 1 point and now the dline is best ever. beezer has defended sanchez to the death, and now after 1 win, he's already singing showtunes for geno

#354 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,817 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

Let us have some fun. I think most Jets fans realize we're looking at a 4 or 5 win season and especially sweet beating Revis and that douche Schiano.  

#355 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

u have to understamnd, going 1-0 is the superbowl for the jets. they won by 1 point and now the dline is best ever. beezer has defended sanchez to the death, and now after 1 win, he's already singing showtunes for geno

I still love Sanchez. I feel very bad for him now more than ever, because we finally have a good OC & QB coach. I think we win yesterday’s game 24-17 if Sanchez played. However, if the Jets win with Geno, I will support him just the same. Whoever’s going to generate victories for my team is the player I will support. . period! --AND, I wouldn’t even rule out Sanchez coming back next season anyway! If Geno Smith performs well enough to show he’s a franchise quarterback, it would be in the Jets best interest (and Sanchez’s aswell) to keep him around as the backup.

Before cutting Sanchez next season (which everyone and their Mother expects the Jets to do) I would pitch restructuring his contract entirely if I’m John Idzik. --and really, if you’re Sanchez, what’s your recourse? You’re certainly not going to start anywhere else? Rex Grossman’s the backup for RG3. Foles the backup for Vick. Alex Smith was the backup for Kaepernick last season. The reason teams with mobile QB’s have semi- starters as backups, is because of risk factor(s). If Geno Smith’s game is going to include him rushing for 50-70 yards per week, he is going to get injured eventually. Wouldn’t hurt having Sanchez as an insurance policy going forward.

Let us have some fun. I think most Jets fans realize we're looking at a 4 or 5 win season and especially sweet beating Revis and that douche Schiano.  

Oh no no no no.. I WANT this all fvcking season!! This is exactly the kind of disrespect I want from the outside world after every god-damn win!

Until this year, the Jets have always been a respected team the 4 years under Ryan.. and sometimes I think it plays against the Jets. Players believe their own hype, and start to fall in love with themselves. It’s tough to win games when you’ve got a target on your back. When opposing teams circle you on their calendar. But this year.. NO ONE is circling the Jets on their calendar! You think anyone is going to pick the Jets against Pittsburgh, or Cincinnati? I’m sure teams will be looking at the Jets and breathing a sigh of relief.. and THAT’S the kind of under-the-radar sh!t that I want all fvcking year. I want this team to have an; “us against the world” mentality. I want them to walk into every game with a gigantic chip on their shoulder, and looking for someone to knock it off. I want them to feel they have to prove it.. and I want them to play their asses off for their head coach.

If the Patriots beat us.. then great, that’s fine. We all expected that anyway right?

But if the Jets beat New England in Foxboro on Thursday, with a chance to go 3-0 against the Bills @ home.. they’ll be different views being discussed around these parts from the talking heads for sure.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT; Pace after the game.. :rock:

Calvin Pace sat at his locker after the game, and spoke to the media.. with his back to the reporters. "Everybody wants to see us fail. Not [some] people.. everybody! Let’s be real about this–Everybody. For whatever reason, there's a personal vendetta against the Jets. I know the last couple of years haven't been up to our standard, but thirty-second? Thirty-second in the league? Really? That’s absurd. We might not be the best team, but I'm damn sure we're not the worst. I've seen the worst. We've played against some of the worst.. we're not that. There's a team out west that I know is worse than we are. Now you've even got former players who've left saying we're the worst? [Pace pauses] Man.. I've seen you in here going along with it! Now you get on TV, and want to boost your career up by saying; oh they're [the Jets] the worst organization.. when the previous one that you played for kicked you to the curb? We welcomed you in! That's tough. But that thirty-second, [the ESPN ranking] that was the ultimate slap in the face. We heard it as a team. It was seen. It was taken accordingly by us. We're the ones in charge of it. We can change it by playing well. It's motivation. It was much needed. It showed these young guys that, despite what is out there about us, we can do things together. It's going to take everybody.. together."  --Calvin Pace.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/26781/rex-pushes-right-buttons-to-rile-up-jets

http://nypost.com/2013/09/09/media-snubs-were-jet-fuel-for-opening-win/

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/84476/locker-room-buzz-new-york-jets

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324549004579063341290290868.html

Edited by Beezer34, 09 September 2013 - 02:47 PM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#356 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

Vereen out for Thursday and for a few weeks...needs wrist surgery.  At least the Pats have some depth at that position, but Ridley needs to take much better care of the ball than he did against the Bills.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#357 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,112 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

The fvck are you even talking about. Getting to the Super Bowl is Getting to the Super Bowl for the Jets (as they almost did in 09 and 10) what in your empty head made you think beating the Bucs is getting to the Super Bowl for the Jets? We always beat Tampa. 

#358 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,420 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

Sanchez likely needs shoulder surgery that would end his season.  It was most likely over for him here anyway but geez Rex really screwed the kid's career if that's what happens in the end.  Who's going to take him off of two bad years and one serious injury this offseason?

Too bad it had to end this way after just two and a half years ago where Sanchez was the prince of the town and Rex the king.  Now Sanchez is gone and Rex is on life support career-wise.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 12 September 2013 - 07:00 AM.

#359 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:22 AM

From what I'm reading, the surgery is being planned at the end of the year.. not necessarily "season ending" so-to-speak. It seems Sanchez has already made up his mind on the type of treatment he's going to get.. and that's rehab over surgery..

http://nypost.com/2013/09/12/sanchez-doesnt-need-season-ending-surgery-sources/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000242994/article/jets-qb-mark-sanchez-has-torn-labrum-wants-to-rehab

"If I needed surgery right now, I never would have left Andrews office. I would've stayed and got the surgery." -Mark Sanchez

..look, I'm trying to be realistic about this whole thing.. Sanchez's days as a starter in NY are pretty much over. (unless Geno has a complete meltdown over the course of the next 5 weeks) My thing is.. as I said before;  if I'm Idzik, I at least try to restructure the contract at the end of the season to be tailored to more of a backup. --and like you said.. what is Sanchez going to do?  :noclue:  Where will he go, what are his options?

Edited by Beezer34, 12 September 2013 - 07:35 AM.

#360 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

As a Jets fan, I'm semi-excited to for this game. Maybe that sounds crazy, but this is probably the best time to get the Pats. It's early in the year, they narrowly escaped Buffalo last week despite being huge favorites, and they are missing a lot of offensive weapons: Amendola, who was a God-send in the 2nd half last week, and Gronkowski are not expected to play; Vereen is out;  Sudfeld is questionable. 

The pressure is going to be on Brady to make do with Thompkins and Edelman and for Ridley to hold onto the football against a run defense that held Doug Martin to 65 yards last week. 

I still think the Pats win, but if there was ever a time to catch New England in the season, this might be it, even though it's in Foxborough. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users