859 replies to this topic

#441 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

beaten   2/3 of the time and jets nation feels pride. should tell u all u need to know.

..to a team that's been to 5 Superbowls throughout the timeframe, and arguably the greatest head coach of all-time?? --YES.. just a little! smiley-dance013.gif

What's the matter sweetie?? You expected your Cowgirls to have more wins than the Jets by Week 7?? --awwwwww. :wub:

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#442 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

i picked dallas to be right where they are. my expectations for my team arent delusional like yours. i pick playoffs, u pick sb. big dif there.

#443 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

i picked dallas to be right where they are. my expectations for my team arent delusional like yours. i pick playoffs, u pick sb.

I don't think Jets fans (with the exception of uberhomer Beezer) really were expecting that much from them this season.

..funny how these kind of things are being said about me, when I had the Jets @ 4-5 heading into Week 11.

• Week 1;  vs. Tampa – WIN
  • Week 2;  @ Patriots – LOSS
  • Week 3;  vs. Buffalo – WIN
  • Week 4;  @ Titans – WIN
  • Week 5;  @ Atlanta – LOSS
  • Week 6;  @ Steelers – LOSS
  • Week 7;  vs. Patriots – WIN
  • Week 8;  @ Bengals – LOSS
  • Week 10;  vs. Saints – LOSS

..but it's loads of fun to just pull sh!t out of your ass.. I understand that! B )

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#444 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

Beez, I gave you credit for getting it right in picking the Jets to go 3-3 to start the season...I even quoted your schedule breakdown in doing that...but of course you ignore THAT. 

And what you quoted from me was NOT inaccurate on my part.  No one really was expecting much from the Jets this season...some were predicting 3 wins (which I said I thought was ridiculous), and many were in the 5-7 win range (that's where I had them, depending on how things broke).  You were really one of the only ones thinking they might do better than that, and part of that comes from the fact that you are a bit of a homer. 

I also said that I thought the Jets would be competitive within most of their games.  And they HAVE been.  And they've found ways to pull some of them out (Tampa, Atlanta, NE).   

You should be happy, it was a big win for the Jets yesterday, but before you go into full chest-beating blowhard mode, maybe you'd like to see what they rest of the season brings first?   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#445 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

Heading into 2010..

Prediction: 11-5 record.

Before the 2011 season..

I'm ready to call this season's record.. 8-8, and you can take that to the bank.

..prior to last season..

If this doesn't work, we're looking at a 6-10 season.

..so why if I say; "I think the Jets can win 10 games this season"  --does that make me a homer? :noclue:

I have DESTROYED the Jets over the past 2 years on transactions\moves\signings\trades that they have or have not made. If you actually took the time to read my posts in Jets threads over the years, I am ridiculously critical on them. I have killed the organization for their lack of focus on drafting.. how they killed Mark Sanchez's career\development.. mishandling the team completely. No one wanted Mike T. fired more than me.. how am I a homer???

Edited by Beezer34, 21 October 2013 - 12:08 PM.

#446 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

..no spinning, I'm just trying to take a different approach then point & laugh. Why should I look at this signing and sh!t on it, without ever giving it a chance on the field? Saying that this move made no sense is the easy thing to do.. which is why everyone is doing it. I don't want to dwell on that. I want to focus on why upper management made the trade, and finding sense in that alone.
When I hear Mike Francesa say this trade was made because of $$$.. I believe him. However, I also believe Rex Ryan when he says this trade was made to make the Jets a more difficult team to plan\play defense against. I have repeatedly touched on the risk-reward aspect of this Jerry. If this doesn't work, we're looking at a 6-10 season. That being said, if it works.. I think the Jets could have an 11-5, 12-4 type year. This trade overshadows the bigger move that was made this month.. LaRon Landry. The Jets defense was ranked 5th in 2011, with absolutely NO ONE playing safety. (especially when Jimmy went down for the season) If they resign Leonhard and draft a SS or FS, in conjuction with the Landry signing AND the standard schedule for 2012.. why shouldn't I feel good about the coming season?

EDIT: Remember this Jerry.. this past season came down to 2 follies. The Cruz 99 yard TD, and the Tebow drive in Denver. Had those never happened, we win both those games. With that said, the difference between an 8-8 Jets team missing the playoffs, and a 10-6 Jets team making the playoffs is preeminent.

Can't just chop out one part of the post Beez.  I could have posted the part in bold out of context too, like you did with the 6-10 quote.  There's other posts in that part of the thread where you were leaning towards that whole Tebow/Sanchez being a good move, and one that could work, and be a stroke of genius.      

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#447 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

..so let me get this straight.. in order for me NOT to be a homer, I can't post anything remotely positive\optomistic\hopeful.. or any sort of encouraging confident statement at all. --is that correct??

This comment is your smoking gun? A post I write where I clearly speak about the; "risk reward" factors of Tebow??

#448 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

..so let me get this straight.. in order for me NOT to be a homer, I can't post anything remotely positive\optomistic\hopeful.. or any sort of encouraging confident statement at all. --is that correct??

This comment is your smoking gun? A post I write where I clearly speak about the; "risk reward" factors of Tebow??

If the rest of the quote was so innocous, why did you leave it out then?  You tried to make it look like you predicted a 6-10 season, when you were more wishy-washy (but leaning towards good things) than anything else.  Like I've said, in other parts of that thread, it seemed like you thought it could work out, and yeah, I do think that's a pretty homeristic way of looking at it, because I think most people knew that that whole thing had just about no chance of working at all.  Your take on Week 2's loss against the Pats was a bit much too...your team was -4 in turnovers that game, yet you made it sound like they should've won.  And saying the Jets should've been 4-1 through 5 games (when they got a huge break against TB) was definitely looking at everything though green-and-white glasses.      

Not even sure why you're going at it with me today...I gave the Jets credit for the win (as I always do when they beat the Pats), gave them credit for doing a pretty good job against the Pats in the Rex Ryan era, even if the overall record isn't great.  Gave you credit for doing a solid job in getting a 3-3 start predicted correctly (which is now 4-3)...like I've said, so far so good, but there's still 9 games left on the schedule.   

#30 FOREVER!

#449 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

..because the 6-10 remark is the part that matters CR!

A homer won't acknowledge the negative, rarely admits they're wrong, and defiantly insists that team\players\things worked after the notion, despite the fact that they didn't. They adamantly insist, in the face of defeat. If their team does something that fails, they ignore it. They swoon every move\trade\signing their organization makes. They go in hiding when their team loses.. they praise them even in defeat.. and refuse to give anyone else credit, other than their own franchise.

#450 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

..because the 6-10 remark is the part that matters CR!

A homer won't acknowledge the negative, rarely admits they're wrong, and defiantly insists that team\players\things worked after the notion, despite the fact that they didn't. They adamantly insist, in the face of defeat. If their team does something that fails, they ignore it. They swoon every move\trade\signing their organization makes. They go in hiding when their team loses.. they praise them even in defeat.. and refuse to give anyone else credit, other than their own franchise.

Maybe implying that you are a blind homer wasn't fair on my part.  I went back through some posts, and in fairness, though you occasionally do some homeristic things (like the Jet 4-1 thing), your Jet prediction posts are more based on seeing the glass 3/4 full than anything else...optimism, which I can understand and relate to.  And you at least try to give reasons behind the optimism, even if some of them (like Tebow/Sanchez working) seem like a stretch.

Burying the hatchet and wiping the slate clean Beez.   

#30 FOREVER!

#451 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

I respect Beezers enthusiasm, at least you have a dialogue with him. With 7 if you point out his errors and poor predictions, he has a standard reply to distract from his nonsense.

Edited by MantaRay, 22 October 2013 - 09:37 AM.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#452 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

This chart compares Geno to the QBs of the 2012 rookie class through their first 7 games:

Name..............W/L.......Comp-Att (%).....Pass Yards...TD/INT..Rush TD

Andrew Luck.....4-3.........160-288 (55.5)........1,971..........8/8.........3 
RGIII................3-4.........133-189 (70.3)........1,601..........7/3.........6
Russell Wilson...4-3.........104-175 (59.4)........1,230..........8/7.........0
Tannehill..........4-3.........120-203 (59.1)........1,472..........4/6..........1
Geno Smith......4-3.........130-223 (58.3)........1,723.........8/11.........2

Obviously there's a ton of work to do, but this is really encouraging

Edited by SMantzas, 23 October 2013 - 11:18 AM.

#453 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:29 AM

With the game the way it is now, it's a lot easier for rookie QBs to step in and have some success right away.  Used to be you didn't expect much until their second or third years, at the earliest.

Some will say, "Well, Geno's played like a rookie...some good and some bad", but at least he's HAD some good.  Some guys have very little or no good on their way to being busts.  Geno looks like he's going to stick.

And re:  Rex Ryan, I wouldn't give him an extension YET, but if this team finishes close to .500, considering the franchise did just about everything possible NOT to help him, I think he deserves to come back.

#30 FOREVER!

#454 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

With the game the way it is now, it's a lot easier for rookie QBs to step in and have some success right away.  Used to be you didn't expect much until their second or third years, at the earliest.

Some will say, "Well, Geno's played like a rookie...some good and some bad", but at least he's HAD some good.  Some guys have very little or no good on their way to being busts.  Geno looks like he's going to stick.

And re:  Rex Ryan, I wouldn't give him an extension YET, but if this team finishes close to .500, considering the franchise did just about everything possible NOT to help him, I think he deserves to come back.

I think most people around the league were giving the Jets 4-6 wins over the course of the season. Here we are 7 games into the season and the Jets already hit some of the projections. I still don't think we'll make the playoffs but if Rex has the team sniffing .500 (at least 7 wins) I think there is no way they don't retain him. He is way too popular in that locker room

#455 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

The funny thing is the Jets don't really have to do much more to hit 7 wins...if they go 3-6 in their last 9, they've done it. 

I wonder if the organization is grading him on a different curve now. 

#30 FOREVER!

#456 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

The funny thing is the Jets don't really have to do much more to hit 7 wins...if they go 3-6 in their last 9, they've done it. 

I wonder if the organization is grading him on a different curve now. 

..this is exactly the case.

At the start of the year, 6-7 wins would've given Rex his contract. But now the way the season's played out.. heading into Week 8, having only 3 losses.. Ryan needs AT LEAST 8 wins (maybe more) to get him his extension.

#457 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

8 wins should really be enough, IF the Jets are being fair to him.  That will have exceeded expectations, and they beat the Pats to boot (even if they're not playing as well as they have in recent regular seasons, so what...it was still a big win). 

If 8 wins aren't enough, then I think the Jets come off being unfair and having an agenda.  Rex has his team overcoming a lot this season.  They make not make the playoffs, but they're relevant almost halfway through the season.  Almost NO ONE saw that coming. 

#30 FOREVER!

#458 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

Woody likes Rex...I'm not so sure his seat was ever as hot as people speculated it was.

Now it looks like they've assembled a solid staff. Pettine the rat is gone, Mornhinweg is building the offense around Geno. Dennis Thurman and Karl Dunbar have done an amazing job. Idzik has gotten us out of cap hell quickly and found some solid value players...why upset the apple cart?

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#459 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,429 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:02 PM

I don't think there's any way Rex should be fired with 8+ wins...I mean that'd be four of five seasons where the Jets were .500 or better, that's nothing to sneeze at.

Idzik and Rex are just so different I don't see how that arranged marriage can work long-term though, unless Rex finds a way to be more buttoned-up and still somehow be Rex personality-wise.  They're about as different personality-wise as Steve Phillips and Bobby Valentine used to be.  At least Bobby V did last several years under Phillips somehow.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 23 October 2013 - 08:03 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#460 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:16 PM

I don't think there's any way Rex should be fired with 8+ wins...I mean that'd be four of five seasons where the Jets were .500 or better, that's nothing to sneeze at.

Idzik and Rex are just so different I don't see how that arranged marriage can work long-term though, unless Rex finds a way to be more buttoned-up and still somehow be Rex personality-wise.  They're about as different personality-wise as Steve Phillips and Bobby Valentine used to be.  At least Bobby V did last several years under Phillips somehow.

You bring up a good comparison with Philips and Valentine...but I think Rex is more malleable. We've already seen a tone down of his shtick this season.

He's a great locker room motivator though, and as a pure defensive strategist he's one of the best in the game. Plus I just don't see anybody out there that would be decidedly better.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users