857 replies to this topic

#561 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,872 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

Great news from the Phins standpoint. If we win, great. If we lose to Geno, it'll at least give us a sense of where we stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True. But let's be real- losing to either Geno or a very green (no pun intended :P) Matt Simms would be pretty embarrassing. I fully expect the offense to struggle against the Jets defense with that strong front 7, but there's no excuse for our defense to not shut down whoever the Jet QB is.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#562 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

True. But let's be real- losing to either Geno or a very green (no pun intended :P) Matt Simms would be pretty embarrassing. I fully expect the offense to struggle against the Jets defense with that strong front 7, but there's no excuse for our defense to not shut down whoever the Jet QB is.

Simms is an unknown entity, so if he plays well, people would chalk it up to him being better than advertised. Geno has been awful, and against teams that aren't that great. If he beats you the way he's been playing now, and considering the Phins have to win this game, you know that you're a bad team.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#563 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:08 AM

Rex announces Geno gives the Jets the best chance to win.  Based on what I heard of the conference, really doesn't seem like it was his decision.  I feel for him...guy really has done a good job despite upper management doing next to nothing to help him or back him, and whatever pseudo-"probation" Idzik has Rex on, I think Rex has at least earned the right to pick Simms to start if that's what he truly wants.  Feels like he's getting screwed here.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#564 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

I mean seriously, how do you not love this guy??

"I'm not going anywhere, that's for sure. It's been a dream come true to play here, and I don't want to go anywhere else. I know I have two years left, but I don't ever want that to end. I love being a Jet, and I plan on being here. All the memories, the wins. Even the tough times, the struggles, the losses. It makes you appreciate how much you love being out on the field and how much you love playing. I really want it to be with the Jets. I hope so. That's all I'm thinking about. Coming back next year, leading this team, and playing well. We'll see what happens." --Mark Sanchez

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2013/11/26/mark-sanchez-cornrows-2014-geno-smith/3755929/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24286575/mark-sanchez-im-not-going-anywhere-plan-on-being-with-jets

..he's either completely full of sh!t, and paving his way to the next team by saying all the right things.. or Sanchez is head-over-heels in love with Rex, and the two have something very special for eachother. If he is REALLY being serious about loving it here, he'd have to take a salary cut.. and if that happens, you've gotta respect the hell out of this guy. All the mistreatment from upper-management, all the flack from the fans. Everything he's gone through.

Again, we'll see how sincere he's being come March, but if it's genuine.. Sanchez is like the guy who won't leave his girlfriend, even though he gets treated like sh!t, and she continues to cheat on him. :P

Edited by Beezer34, 26 November 2013 - 02:48 PM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#565 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

He's saying all of the right things, for whatever that's worth.  Some of what he's gone through is self-inflicted...not like he's a blameless victim.

But if Geno continues to struggle this badly (his numbers in his last 6 GP are almost Ryan Leaf-like), hell, Sanchez might get a second chance by default.  It'd be interesting to see what he might do with it.  

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#566 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,872 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

Beez, you have a better chance of being the Jets' starting QB next year than Sanchez.

#567 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

Beez, you have a better chance of being the Jets' starting QB next year than Sanchez.

Honestly, at this stage, I'm not entirely sure.  If Geno doesn't show improvement by the end of the year, you can't say he's automatically the starter next year.  The Jets probably won't be bad enough to be in a position to draft one of the big three QBs (Manziel, Bridgewater or Mariotta).  After that, who's left?  Maybe they make a run at Cutler, but otherwise, it's really slim pickings. 

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#568 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

I thought it sounded crazy when I first read it too...and it's a longshot for sure...and the only reason it's even really a possibility at all is because Geno has been SO dreadful lately.  If he has another lousy week, how can be possibly not get benched after that game (or during)?

#30 FOREVER!

#569 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,872 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

I thought it sounded crazy when I first read it too...and it's a longshot for sure...and the only reason it's even really a possibility at all is because Geno has been SO dreadful lately. If he has another lousy week, how can be possibly not get benched after that game (or during)?

Even so, I think they ride or die with Geno before they ever go back to Sanchez after everything that's happened. Geno is Idzik's guy, so I think they'd be more inclined to let him develop if they're not in a position to draft one of the top QB's.

#570 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,179 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

I think Sanchez is in denial.    Regardless of how bad Gino is, they Jets will look to get a veteran who will actually be healthy enough to make a contribution on or off the field.   Sanchez's contract is going to force Idzik's hand to cut him before any bonus payments.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#571 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,179 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:07 PM

So which Jets team shows up tomorrow?
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#572 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,343 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

So which Jets team shows up tomorrow?

The Jets have settled on Jekyll. So the one that loses 26-9. Simms chants will be heard

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#573 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

lol nobody within ten yards of David Nelson on the sideline and Geno overthrows him.  Just yank him already :rant:

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#574 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,179 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

Ouch.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#575 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,343 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

You know if Rex is canned at the end of the year...I can kind of see Shanahan here (provided is son is just an offensive assistant or something)

otherwise, what else is out there? Lovie Smith?

The lack of a viable alternative just might keep him here. I'm not saying that's good or bad, just that there is no Andy Reid or Parcells or Jimmy Johnson out there. No big coaches

Edited by '7', 01 December 2013 - 06:29 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#576 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

Rex doesn't deserve to get fired off this season.  It's not his fault the QB that was shoved down his throat completely fell to pieces. 

He got to two AFC Championship games with Sanchez, and had a team that almost no one thought would be any good this season playing competitive football with a rookie as his QB, who looks like he may not be any good. 

It'd be interesting to see what he could do with a good QB on his team.

#30 FOREVER!

#577 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,343 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

Rex doesn't deserve to get fired off this season.  It's not his fault the QB that was shoved down his throat completely fell to pieces. 

He got to two AFC Championship games with Sanchez, and had a team that almost no one thought would be any good this season playing competitive football with a rookie as his QB, who looks like he may not be any good. 

It'd be interesting to see what he could do with a good QB on his team.

Depends on how these last 4 games go, but this is the first time I have a feeling his job might be in jeopardy. Still I'd lean that he stays

Jets QB's (sanchez, McElroy, geno etc) have throw for an astounding 39 interceptions over the past 28 games and when you factor in the fumbles at the QB position that is well over 50 qb turnovers. I can't even fathom what it feels like to go on a run like Foles is having in philly.

#578 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

That's exactly what I mean.  Rex has gotten perhaps THE worst QB play in the NFL (the only team I can think of that's gotten worse performance out of that position is Jacksonville) the last two seasons.  How much of that should really fall on him? 

#30 FOREVER!

#579 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:25 AM

You know if Rex is canned at the end of the year...I can kind of see Shanahan here (provided is son is just an offensive assistant or something)

otherwise, what else is out there? Lovie Smith?

The lack of a viable alternative just might keep him here. I'm not saying that's good or bad, just that there is no Andy Reid or Parcells or Jimmy Johnson out there. No big coaches

Maybe Jack Del Rio if he doesn't go to USC as rumored.

Posted Image

#580 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

• Week 1;  vs. Tampa – WIN  (WIN)
  • Week 2;  @ Patriots – LOSS  (LOSS)
  • Week 3;  vs. Buffalo – WIN  (WIN)
  • Week 4;  @ Titans – WIN  (LOSS)
  • Week 5;  @ Atlanta – LOSS  (WIN)
  • Week 6;  @ Steelers – LOSS  (LOSS)
  • Week 7;  vs. Patriots – WIN  (WIN)
  • Week 8;  @ Bengals – LOSS  (LOSS)
  • Week 10;  vs. Saints – LOSS  (WIN)
  • Week 11;  @ Buffalo – WIN  (LOSS)
  • Week 12;  @ Ravens – LOSS  (LOSS)
  • Week 13;  vs. Fish – WIN  (LOSS)
  • Week 14;  vs. Raiders – WIN
  • Week 15;  @ Panthers – WIN
  • Week 16;  vs. Browns – WIN
  • Week 17;  @ Miami - LOSS

Just revisiting this. 

Only one game off on the prediction, and had the QB situation not blown up so spectacularly, the Jets had a decent chance at pulling off 9-7, though no one saw Carolina being so good on defense in 2013.   

As crazy as it sounds, after thinking about it, I could see the Jets finding a way to beat both the Raiders and the Browns in squeakers, to finish 7-9.  If they found ways to win games with Smith (who was obviously playing a LOT better earlier in the season), I think Rex (who has really done a solid job this season) and Mornhinweg might be able to squeeze a couple of wins out of Simms, especially if the defense can get it done. 

And though it won't happen, if Rex goes 7-9 with the card he's been dealt, he should be a candidate for Coach of the Year. 

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users