859 replies to this topic

#661 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

He really wasn't a very good coach.   He was handed a decent team, declared his team out of the playoffs and accidentally made it the AFC Championship game.

Bad timing for Rex, if he had Idzig instead of Tannenbaum he would probably had a better chance to succeed.

I can't see him being a HC anywhere else.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#662 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:39 PM

He really wasn't a very good coach.   He was handed a decent team, declared his team out of the playoffs and accidentally made it the AFC Championship game.

Bad timing for Rex, if he had Idzig instead of Tannenbaum he would probably had a better chance to succeed.

I can't see him being a HC anywhere else.

I concede the Jets did have some luck getting into the playoffs in 2009, but beating superior Bengals and Chargers teams (and leading the colts at the half in the championship game) That can't be "accidental" During that stretch Rex did a great job. They went 5-1 to finish the season and then won 2 playoffs games. None of that happens by accident.

The 2009-2010 Jets had above average talent, but Rex probably pulled them a little further than they deserved to be.

The Patriots team the Jets beat in the playoffs in 2011 was on the most dominant run any Patriots team had ever been on. Rex called an amazing game and shut them down. That win told me all I needed to know about his coaching ability.

Edited by '7', 22 December 2013 - 02:44 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#663 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

I don't know who pinhead glazers source is, but he's more of a bombastic FOX moron than "in the know" NFL guy. I mean Clayton came out and said Rex was a goner before retracting and saying he would likely come back

Could be a ploy by Rex. "Word on the street" could mean anything.

The Jets had an awful start today. Down 10-0 that looked like it might spiral out of control (refs were pretty ridiculous on the roughing the passer call on Richardson)  but the team rallied. Rex showed a ton of fire on the sideline and the Jets definitively showed that they were going to play hard, that they wanted their coach here....and they won.

This team has less talent than last years 6-10, yet they've won more games and have a legit chance at 8-8. You can't fire him off this year. The Jets didn't throw up all over themselves and go 4-12

Geno probably played his best, most complete game as a pro.

Milliner for once didn't look horrible. His first career pick. Josh Gordon didn't absolutely butcher us

Edited by '7', 22 December 2013 - 04:12 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#664 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

http://www.nj.com/je..._to_report.html
It was nice knowing ya Rex :(

Might've just been motivational talk to keep his players fighting hard. Rex is great when it comes to connecting with his team through passionate talk, and he may've just been playing the sympathy card.

As it is, they already have more wins this season than 2012. That may not be saying much, but today's game showed the front-office what Ryan means to this organization. With the team being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, and down 10-0 against Cleveland, the Jets could've easily packed it in. That didn't happen. The Jets fought back with 17 unanswered points, and looked like a squad that was playing for their coach.
I wouldn't call it a “PR nightmare” ..but if the Jets finish 8-8 and Rex still gets fired, it'll look REALLY bad. This team wasn't picked to win more than 5 games heading into this season. If they can end the year @ .500 then extending Rex is a no brainer. It may not be a winning record.. but it's not a losing record either.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#665 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

Might've just been motivational talk to keep his players fighting hard. Rex is great when it comes to connecting with his team through passionate talk, and he may've just been playing the sympathy card.

As it is, they already have more wins this season than 2012. That may not be saying much, but today's game showed the front-office what Ryan means to this organization. With the team being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, and down 10-0 against Cleveland, the Jets could've easily packed it in. That didn't happen. The Jets fought back with 17 unanswered points, and looked like a squad that was playing for their coach.
I wouldn't call it a “PR nightmare” ..but if the Jets finish 8-8 and Rex still gets fired, it'll look REALLY bad. This team wasn't picked to win more than 5 games heading into this season. If they can end the year @ .500 then extending Rex is a no brainer. It may not be a winning record.. but it's not a losing record either.

8-8 should make rex absolutely fire-proof. There is quite literally no better options out there...I don't want some unproven college coach.

Cowher will only walk into an ideal situation and wants too much $$$. Gruden is comfy doing commentary. Who else? Lovie Smith. Might as well keep Rex then since they're so similar.

I loved how he got in that Refs face after Geno was shoved out of bounds (yes he flopped but it was a legit push) finally the flag game in, but the Jets slowly took control of the game after that outburst

Edited by '7', 22 December 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#666 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,222 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:26 PM

Yeah if we somehow beat the Dolphins the last week of the season and knock them out there's almost no way Idzik can fire Rex...although never say never after Marty got canned in San Diego when they went 14-2.

Maybe the best thing about today (besides the fight the team showed) is that Dee Milliner actually looked like an NFL cornerback.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#667 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN: Source confirms an angry & riled up Rex Ryan did address his tenuous job situation to players yesterday. Part of it was motivational #nyj

Mehta is not very well liked, but at least he's a Jets beat guy unlike Glazer. Mehta would be more "in the know"

#668 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,222 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

None of the Jets players exactly denied it when they were asked questions about it after the game, they all no commented...doesn't take brain surgery to figure out it was indeed true that Rex said something to that effect.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#669 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:03 AM

Mehta is not very well liked, but at least he's a Jets beat guy unlike Glazer. Mehta would be more "in the know"

..if I'm Idzik, I want to keep Rex around for another year or two, because it extends my own lease with the organization. I can continue to build my team, while flying under the radar of a head coach that takes all the blame from the media. Rex is the perfect scape-goat for Idzik.. why would he want to lose that? :noclue:

Think about it fairly.. let's hypothetically say the Jets lose to Miami, and Rex gets fired. Idzik picks his own HC, and spends a fortune in the offseason for him. He trades for top level talent for his HC, he lets him have pull in the draft. He even gets him a real QB in Jay Cutler. He builds the team that Rex always wanted. BUT.. the Jets still finish 7-9 in 2014. (or worse) Their defense which for 5 seasons has been Top 10 under Ryan, slips to 19th. What if they only make the playoffs once in a span of 5 seasons.. or worse, what if they don't make the playoffs at all!? Meanwhile, Rex Ryan goes to another team and does well. Who looks like a jerk at that point??

At this point, the next Jets HC (again, this is over the span of 5 seasons) would have to play 6 playoff games.. make the playoffs at least twice.. have a top 10 defense every year.. advance to 2 AFC Championships.. have only 1 losing season.. and win about 50 regular-season\postseason games altogether, to be considered an "improvement" over Ryan. Pretty lofty a resume no?

Wouldn't it make more sense to fire Rex after he REALLY fails? Like if he had a 4-12 season.. so that even if the next guy went 5-11 the following year, it's still an improvement?

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#670 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,389 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

All well and good Beez, but I think Idzik wants his own guy no matter what Rex does, and to Rex and his team's credit, they've done everything they can to not make the decision a no-brainer for Idzik.   

Rex has made some mistakes along the way, but overall he's been pretty good, and though some of the Jet numbers this season are ugly (namely the point differential), he found ways to squeeze wins out of his team this season...more than most people thought was possible.  I said if the Jets split with the Pats and finished 8-8, then they did one hell of a job.  Well, they're one win way from pulling that off.  But I think Idzik has already made his mind up.  He'd better be pretty damned sure about the guy who's coming in next...players and fans seem to like Rex a whole lot...but let's face it, Idzik made up his mind a long time ago, and he wants Not-Rex as his coach.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#671 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:37 PM

This team has less talent than last years 6-10, yet they've won more games and have a legit chance at 8-8. You can't fire Rex off this year.

The one thing Rex doesn’t get enough credit for is how he’s turned back the clock on our rushing attack. In a passing league, the Jets have somehow found a way to bring ground and pound back. Only Washington, Seattle, Buffalo & Philly have rushed for more yards as a team than the Jets.

Bilal Powell, Geno Smith & Chris Ivory have rushed for nearly 1,800 yrds! I wouldn’t call it a 3-headed monster, but it certainly shows the ability in the offensive line. You always know what you’re going to get from D`Brick & Mangold, but how about Colon! Maybe the most underrated addition of the offseason for Idzik. If they find a way to upgrade @ RT & LG, we’re looking at a really good o-line for 2014.

#672 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

The one thing Rex doesn’t get enough credit for is how he’s turned back the clock on our rushing attack. In a passing league, the Jets have somehow found a way to bring ground and pound back. Only Washington, Seattle, Buffalo & Philly have rushed for more yards as a team than the Jets.

Bilal Powell, Geno Smith & Chris Ivory have rushed for nearly 1,800 yrds! I wouldn’t call it a 3-headed monster, but it certainly shows the ability in the offensive line. You always know what you’re going to get from D`Brick & Mangold, but how about Colon! Maybe the most underrated addition of the offseason for Idzik. If they find a way to upgrade @ RT & LG, we’re looking at a really good o-line for 2014.

Imagine how many yards Ivory and Powell could gain if you had at least one quality WR? 

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#673 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/10197744/antonio-cromartie-says-new-york-jets-want-end-miami-dolphins-playoff-hopes

"We're the better team. I felt like we were the better team then [the first Miami game this season] and, do I feel like we're the better team now? Yeah, I do. We're running the ball better, we're playing the pass a whole lot better. I think the biggest thing for us is to put it all together and win a game on the road. This is our last game of the year. We want to make sure it's their last game too!"  --Antonio Cromartie

#674 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/10197744/antonio-cromartie-says-new-york-jets-want-end-miami-dolphins-playoff-hopes

"We're the better team. I felt like we were the better team then [the first Miami game this season] and, do I feel like we're the better team now? Yeah, I do. We're running the ball better, we're playing the pass a whole lot better. I think the biggest thing for us is to put it all together and win a game on the road. This is our last game of the year. We want to make sure it's their last game too!" --Antonio Cromartie

Thanks Cro. I'm sure that'll be tacked up on the 'ol bulletin board (not that the players should need any additional motivation for this game- but they have it now).

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#675 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:37 PM

Cromartie, not the brightest bulb in the shed.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#676 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

Apparently Rex will be back next year. Its all over Twitter right now.

#677 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

http://profootballta...ryan-returning/

#678 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,222 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

I'm not saying it's right or wrong cause I could go either way in terms of whether Rex should be fired or not...but it's a testament to just how big a hold Rex's personality has on the locker room and the fans that there isn't a real outcry for him to be fired after three straight playoff-less seasons and that many fans (including me) actually want him back.  

Yes I'm sure on some level people realize he hasn't had a lot to work with the last couple years (though conversely he had a big hand in personnel in the Tanny years too) but usually NFL coaches don't survive three straight non-winning seasons in this day and age. Particularly ones without prior SB wins.

#679 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,103 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:49 PM

I'm not saying it's right or wrong cause I could go either way in terms of whether Rex should be fired or not...but it's a testament to just how big a hold Rex's personality has on the locker room and the fans that there isn't a real outcry for him to be fired after three straight playoff-less seasons and that many fans (including me) actually want him back.

Yes I'm sure on some level people realize he hasn't had a lot to work with the last couple years (though conversely he had a big hand in personnel in the Tanny years too) but usually NFL coaches don't survive three straight non-winning seasons in this day and age. Particularly ones without prior SB wins.

The other thing is the owner loves him. I honestly think Idzik probably wants to fire Rex, but Woody isn't letting it happen.

#680 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,222 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

Woody probably does have a Rex tattoo on his bicep...but if public opinion demanded it and the players weren't playing for him I don't think he'd stand in Idzik's way.  The locker room's unified front for Rex and even the fans petitioning for him gives Woody the excuse to pull rank on Idzik.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users