859 replies to this topic

#741 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:49 PM

The NFL Network said the whole Vick thing cooled off?  In fact I saw McCown was scheduled for a visit, after going to see Tampa and one other team I forget.

And we signed Nick Folk to a multi-year deal, so I guess we don't need the franchise tag on him now.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#742 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,783 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:17 AM

Yea. I think Vick is adamant about being a starter and the Jets weren't so keen on the idea. McCown would be a better fit. He's a clear backup but can also spark a team as a starter in a pinch

Decker is supposed to be in town today. This one they can't let slip through their fingers.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#743 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

I actually think that Vick\Jets will happen. Both sides seem to be posturing right now.

I would FLIP if we landed Decker. 2,300 yrds.. 24 TD's over the last 2 seasons. Granted it was with Manning throwing to him, but I'd still take him over old-man Holmes, regardless who's throwing the ball. He's played all 48 regular season games since 2011, so the guy never gets injured.. and at 26 years old, he still has alot of mileage left in him. SIGN THIS BEAST!

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#744 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

Decker had a good year under the bow. He's not a product of Manning. Which might be the case for the Thomas's.

#745 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,783 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:40 PM

Shefter tweeted Revis to NE 1 yr 12 million

Saw it coming, especially once Talib went to Denver

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#746 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

I didn't actually think he'd take one year, he must really want to stick it to us.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#747 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,783 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

I didn't actually think he'd take one year, he must really want to stick it to us.

yea, that has something to do with it. I mean he's not the 09 and 10 Revis anymore, but he's still a great football player, and he still will get mega dollars after this season. This doesn't seem like a typical NE move since they're pretty much up to the cap and can't afford anything else (there receiving corps and the rest of the secondary need a lot of help), but they want to stick it to us as much as Revis so it's a match made in heaven

Trouble is the Jets haven't addressed anything except that OT from Seattle they just signed...which is more of a lateral move with the loss of Austin Howard. I keep hearing Decker, Jones, MJD. Nothing gets done

Edited by '7', 12 March 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#748 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:06 PM

Yeah I know Idzik's big on building through the draft, that's been the Seattle way but good grief the Jets have to fill SOME of these holes in FA.

#749 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:19 PM

yea, that has something to do with it. I mean he's not the 09 and 10 Revis anymore, but he's still a great football player, and he still will get mega dollars after this season. This doesn't seem like a typical NE move since they're pretty much up to the cap and can't afford anything else (there receiving corps and the rest of the secondary need a lot of help), but they want to stick it to us as much as Revis so it's a match made in heaven

Trouble is the Jets haven't addressed anything except that OT from Seattle they just signed...which is more of a lateral move with the loss of Austin Howard. I keep hearing Decker, Jones, MJD. Nothing gets done

Sounds like they've been wining and dining Decker all day...just please get that done at least.  I doubt they'll spend up to the cap at any rate...at this point they might actually keep Sanchez around since they have cap space and there's limited options out there for backup QB anyway.

#750 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

Jones already signed with Baltimore

Sounds like they've been wining and dining Decker all day...just please get that done at least. I doubt they'll spend up to the cap at any rate...at this point they might actually keep Sanchez around since they have cap space and there's limited options out there for backup QB anyway.

#751 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,783 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

Sounds like they've been wining and dining Decker all day...just please get that done at least.  I doubt they'll spend up to the cap at any rate...at this point they might actually keep Sanchez around since they have cap space and there's limited options out there for backup QB anyway.

Decker would be solid. Seems like it's close to being done (can never take anything for granted as a Jets fan though) I think they will announce tomorrow

Revis clearly wasn't ever in their plans. They had their chance, they didn't even bother. Reports are saying the Jets didn't even respond when Revis agent reached out. They just let that ship sail for whatever reason

As for Sanchez. I dunno he had the injury to his throwing arm, and he didn't have a cannon to begin with (average arm I'd say) Not sure I'd want him back even as a backup. Plus with his cap hit, we can just unload him and sign a similar QB for less money. Like Weeden. Or they might revisit Vick. Jason Campbell out there as well. Shaun Hill.

Jones already signed with Baltimore

not Jacoby Jones. James Jones from Green Bay.

#752 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,783 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

It's official. The Jets have signed Eric Decker

great move. Our receiving corps clearly needed upgrading and Decker does just that. He's a player who's good at a lot of things. Doesn't look like a burner but regularly gets open deep. Good hands. Precise route runner. Great underneath as well as outside. Good size (6'3)

Edited by '7', 12 March 2014 - 10:33 PM.

#753 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

It's interesting, and I guess how good it turns out will ultimately depend on how the offensive coordinator uses him. He was pretty good when he had Tebow and Orton throwing to him, but nothing that would knock your socks off. Whether it's Sanchez or Geno, it's AA ball compared to what he had with Manning as the QB.

As a Phins fan, I see an opponent that we face twice a year get a little better, but it doesn't frighten me all that much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#754 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,936 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:39 PM

u4epabum.jpg

#755 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,783 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:46 PM

Captain Munnerlyn in for a visit tomorrow

#756 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:53 AM

great move. Our receiving corps clearly needed upgrading and Decker does just that. He's a player who's good at a lot of things. Doesn't look like a burner but regularly gets open deep. Good hands. Precise route runner. Great underneath as well as outside. Good size (6'3)

Agree, this is a GREAT move for the Jets...Decker could really become a terrific player for them. 

re:  Revis, if the Jets REALLY wanted him and REALLY thought he either help them by playing for them or not playing for NE, Idzik could've made it happen.  I'm not knocking Idzik for not bringing him back out of fear.  What we're soon going to find out is if Revis is still really Revis or a reasonable percentage of what he used to be.  It's clearly a test-drive contract for NE...I'm sure they think he can help, but I also think they feel there's a chance he could become their next Ochocinco...they only went one year on him for a reason. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#757 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

re:  Revis, if the Jets REALLY wanted him and REALLY thought he either help them by playing for them or not playing for NE, Idzik could've made it happen.  I'm not knocking Idzik for not bringing him back out of fear.  What we're soon going to find out is if Revis is still really Revis or a reasonable percentage of what he used to be.  It's clearly a test-drive contract for NE...I'm sure they think he can help, but I also think they feel there's a chance he could become their next Ochocinco...they only went one year on him for a reason. 

..at 29 years of age, Revis is still capable of being a dynamic player in the NFL. But I've maintained one thought process throughout this whole fiasco dating all the way back to 2010:  12-14 million dollars is too much money for one player. As good as Revis is, you can't dole out QB money on a Corner, with the level of impairment\injury\risk that goes along with the position.. and I commend Idzik for not having a twitchy trigger finger on this one, for the sake of "fear he'll go to New England" panic. Granted the Jets have alot of money to spend under the cap.. but I'd rather Idzik continue to make these low-key discerning signings like Giacomini, as opposed to Headline $ignings, off the simple creed of; "Well, we have the money.. so let's just spend it!" --We've tried that philosophy since 2008, and it hasn't exactly resulted in a dynasty. :giggle:

Revis needs to be very careful here. He'll be learning his 3rd playbook, from playing on his 3rd different team, over the past 3 years. Chemistry & consistency is paramount in the NFL. I think Revis wanted one last big payday, before he enters his 30's (when contracts this high will be harder to get) ..and if he performs well, there will no doubt be egg on the face of the Jets. But at the same time, if he suffers a torn ligament in Week 2.. how would this signing be remembered?

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#758 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:54 AM

Anyone can get hurt at any time Beez...that's the nature of football.  We've seen it happen to players at every position and every salary level.  I can't kill the Pats for making the move if Revis gets hurt.

The bigger question is Revis actually still Revis?  If he plays 16 games at a meh level, then the move will be criticized. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#759 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,783 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

Revis wasn't the pre ACL Revis last year, it's probably unfair to expect him to be at this point as he's gotten older. He's still better than Talib but probably not as good as Patrick Peterson, Haden, or Sherman. That's still an excellent player

#760 SS#4-Life

SS#4-Life

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

..at 29 years of age, Revis is still capable of being a dynamic player in the NFL. But I've maintained one thought process throughout this whole fiasco dating all the way back to 2010:  12-14 million dollars is too much money for one player. As good as Revis is, you can't dole out QB money on a Corner, with the level of impairment\injury\risk that goes along with the position.. and I commend Idzik for not having a twitchy trigger finger on this one, for the sake of "fear he'll go to New England" panic. Granted the Jets have alot of money to spend under the cap.. but I'd rather Idzik continue to make these low-key discerning signings like Giacomini, as opposed to Headline $ignings, off the simple creed of; "Well, we have the money.. so let's just spend it!" --We've tried that philosophy since 2008, and it hasn't exactly resulted in a dynasty. :giggle:

Revis needs to be very careful here. He'll be learning his 3rd playbook, from playing on his 3rd different team, over the past 3 years. Chemistry & consistency is paramount in the NFL. I think Revis wanted one last big payday, before he enters his 30's (when contracts this high will be harder to get) ..and if he performs well, there will no doubt be egg on the face of the Jets. But at the same time, if he suffers a torn ligament in Week 2.. how would this signing be remembered?

the 3 teams in 3 years is a fair point. players tend to struggle with that when looking back at other recent journeymen.

i think the pats did this for 3 reasons. #1 to stick it to the jets #2 to construct a team to beat peyton #3 talib

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users