859 replies to this topic

#761 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,135 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

..at 29 years of age, Revis is still capable of being a dynamic player in the NFL. But I've maintained one thought process throughout this whole fiasco dating all the way back to 2010:  12-14 million dollars is too much money for one player. As good as Revis is, you can't dole out QB money on a Corner, with the level of impairment\injury\risk that goes along with the position.. and I commend Idzik for not having a twitchy trigger finger on this one, for the sake of "fear he'll go to New England" panic. Granted the Jets have alot of money to spend under the cap.. but I'd rather Idzik continue to make these low-key discerning signings like Giacomini, as opposed to Headline $ignings, off the simple creed of; "Well, we have the money.. so let's just spend it!" --We've tried that philosophy since 2008, and it hasn't exactly resulted in a dynasty. :giggle:

Revis needs to be very careful here. He'll be learning his 3rd playbook, from playing on his 3rd different team, over the past 3 years. Chemistry & consistency is paramount in the NFL. I think Revis wanted one last big payday, before he enters his 30's (when contracts this high will be harder to get) ..and if he performs well, there will no doubt be egg on the face of the Jets. But at the same time, if he suffers a torn ligament in Week 2.. how would this signing be remembered?

Giacomini is very under the radar. Guy was just a starter on a Super Bowl offensive line, and rated ahead of Howard. Solid move.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#762 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:18 AM

Revis wasn't the pre ACL Revis last year, it's probably unfair to expect him to be at this point as he's gotten older. He's still better than Talib but probably not as good as Patrick Peterson, Haden, or Sherman. That's still an excellent player

Exactly. This move isn't a stockpiling signing, like when the Jets signed Cromartie to play with Revis 5 years ago. This is a supplemental deal. They lost Talib.. and although Revis is an upgrade, I think factors like team chemistry, playbook consistency, etc.. go along way in determining how this signing will be viewed a year from now. I can see it working out really great for the Pats.. I really can. At the same time, I can also see Patriots-Nation feeling like they got duped, by an underperforming player.

the 3 teams in 3 years is a fair point. players tend to struggle with that when looking back at other recent journeymen.

i think the pats did this for 3 reasons. #1 to stick it to the jets #2 to construct a team to beat peyton

Reg: #1) Tim Tebow was supposed to stick it to the Jets too. B )

Reg: #2) It's going to take alot more than Revis for the Pats to dethrone Mannings Broncos. Good luck with that, with 12 million less to spend against the cap. :thumbsup:

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#763 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,499 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

the 3 teams in 3 years is a fair point. players tend to struggle with that when looking back at other recent journeymen.
i think the pats did this for 3 reasons. #1 to stick it to the jets #2 to construct a team to beat peyton #3 talib

Bill's not a dummy, all he'll ask Revis to do is lock down the #1 receiver like Rex did. The only playbook Revis had to 'learn' was the stupid cover two in Tampa. This isn't a QB needing to learn 500 plays.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#764 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,818 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:44 AM

Bill's not a dummy, all he'll ask Revis to do is lock down the #1 receiver like Rex did. The only playbook Revis had to 'learn' was the stupid cover two in Tampa. This isn't a QB needing to learn 500 plays.

Yeah, cornerback in general is not a position that you need a ton of brain power to perform at a high level.  You've had cornerbacks that scored below a 10 on the Wonderlic test, and still perform very well in the NFL.

So far as him being a "journeyman", let's remember first that it was the Bucs that cut him because his cap hit was too high, and not because of his level of play.  So ultimately, this is a great move for the Pats.  It's clear to me that Revis wants to be there, but at the same time, it's still a one year deal, which means it's virtually a risk free signing. 

I just really hope that Hickey made some attempt to sign him. 

EDIT:  I also noticed some Jets fans theorizing that Idzik had no interest in signing Revis.  Could be true, but impossible to tell.  Revis signed with the Pats a few hours after he was released, which tells me that's where he wanted to go from the very start.  So either way, it would probably have been a futile effort, and perhaps Idzik and everyone else realized that.

Edited by Daniel, 13 March 2014 - 09:48 AM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#765 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000333833/article/vince-wilfork-has-asked-patriots-for-his-release

"Patriots approached Wilfork about restructuring his contract, but the defensive tackle wasn't interested"

Vince Wilfork asking for his release less than 24 hours after the Revis signing? :whistling:

..from a franchise that routinely asks its star player(s) to take a home-team discount, team friendly contracts (Brady) then follow that up by throwing 12 million dollars at a mercenary like Revis? All a coincidence I guess.

Keep jettisoning the foundation BB. :thumbsup:

Edited by Beezer34, 13 March 2014 - 01:53 PM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#766 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

The Brady window is getting narrower by the day.  Getting Revis is the kind of move a team that sees the end of an era coming makes.  Whether or not it was a risk worth taking remains to be seen, but we won't start to know the answer until we're about halfway through next season.

As for Wilfork, he's 32 going on 33 and is coming off a pretty serious injury.  I'm not saying he wouldn't be a loss, but his cap hit was going to be $11.6 million.  Even though it wasn't always pretty and losing him clearly hurt, the Pats at least showed they could work around his absence.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#767 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

I love Wilfork, but he is getting on in age and coming off a pretty bad injury as CR76 stated.

But, if he leaves that is a gapping hole in their run defense.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#768 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,135 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

Does Idzik realize that free agency didn't end with the Decker signing

James Jones, Rodgers-Cromartie...off the board. So much acquirable talent slips through his fingers. The Jets apparently think there is some kind of reward carrying $30+ million of cap room into next year. Hole at CB not filled, could use another RB, could use a safety, could use another tackle. Complete and total inaction.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#769 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,499 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

Idzik's getting a little too Sandy Alderson-ish for my liking.  I mean it IS early in FA but good grief, they can only fill so many holes through the draft and CB's getting thinner by the second.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#770 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,135 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

Idzik's getting a little too Sandy Alderson-ish for my liking.  I mean it IS early in FA but good grief, they can only fill so many holes through the draft and CB's getting thinner by the second.

We could afford everybody. Revis could've been had, Rodgers Cromartie, Vontae Davis. Could've had Pettigrew

It's like he's some sort of weird Sandy/Lou hybrid. Stubborn to a fault and asleep at the wheel. With none of the success (past success at least)

meanwhile the Mets continue to fiddle while Tejada has more errors than hits in spring training

#771 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,499 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

I don't get what the sense of cutting Cromartie was in the first place if they didn't have a replacement lined up, that's why all the rumors had them getting Verner the minute Cro got cut.  Unless they just thought his hip is permanently damaged and he's not going to be the same anymore.  I mean two games is too soon to trust Dee Milliner as any kind of a #1 and Kyle Wilson should not be a #2.  It's not like we needed the cap space, we haven't even axed Sanchez yet (I'm starting to get a funny feeling we're gonna keep him around the more and more we save in FA).

This draft is supposedly deep at WR so I'm okay with just Decker in FA for now, if anything they should have been able to use the draft to address their offense almost exclusively but now they may need to address a couple of defensive holes too.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 17 March 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#772 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

Well Sanchez bonus is due in a few days, so that should free up more cash at least.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#773 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,135 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

Well Sanchez bonus is due in a few days, so that should free up more cash at least.

It should, but he's had enough to sign a Revis or Rodgers Cromartie and a Receiver or safety with what he has now and still has done diddly. So now the money pile will grow bigger but we'll be left with table scraps. Plus we may not have a starting QB OR backup QB

When Idzik had little to work with last year, he put together a respectable team. We had some good under the radar signings. This year it seems he's gone too Lamoriello circa 1995-1999 in his dealings

Edited by '7', 17 March 2014 - 09:47 PM.

#774 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

If you drop Sanchez, I think Vick is a great tutor for Geno.      If anyone has learned lessons it's Vick.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#775 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,818 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

If you drop Sanchez, I think Vick is a great tutor for Geno. If anyone has learned lessons it's Vick.

Vick should not be a tutor to anyone and it isn't because of his legal problems. In the end, he's been an overrated QB his entire career. A young QB that has a turnover problem, should not be trying to emulate an older QB with a turnover problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#776 Beezer34

Beezer34

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

They're about to resign Colon.. they resigned Pace.. they upgraded Holmes with Decker.. and they also upgraded Howard with Giacomini. We're halfway through March, with 13 draft picks still in our pockets. I'm not going to press the panic button just yet, until I see the entire picture. Not gonna lie.. I would've loved DRC. But 8 million per-season puts him as the 6th highest paid CB in the league.. and if signing him meant spending more than that, then I'm glad the Jets didn't.

We're slowly learning as the offseason progresses how many key players played hurt last season, through significant injuries. (D'Brick, Geno, Cro, etc) Maybe finishing 8-8 really was an accomplishment.. especially if Geno really was that hurt last season. I can remember a stretch of 4 games where Geno looked invisible. (couple that with absolutely no WR help at all) Maybe Idzik & Rex feel that last years team doesn't need THAT much tinkering.

I don't get what the sense of cutting Cromartie was in the first place if they didn't have a replacement lined up.

..they cut Cro because he was due a 7 million dollar roster bonus, and (coming off the worst season of his career) they wanted him to go out and find his market value. I think the majority of the Jets "weak secondary" had more to do with Milliner being in over his head, as opposed to an injured Cromartie. It's no coincidence the moment they brought in Ed Reed to mentor Dee, he became a much better CB all around. (and that's why I think they bring back Reed this season) If Milliner has a better sophomore year, then the secondary improves without Idzik doing anything.

For the record, I still believe the Jets will bring back Cromartie.. just in a part-time role. At this point they could sign anyone left to equal his production from last season.. like a Champ Bailey for example. --and if the surrounding cast improves, it's really a win-win for the Jets. Cromartie can be a hybrid corner\safety like Ty Law was a few years back, playing limited plays.

Edited by Beezer34, 18 March 2014 - 08:37 AM.

#777 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,499 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:40 AM

I honestly don't see Cro coming back after he so publicly said goodbye on Twitter.

#778 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

Vick should not be a tutor to anyone and it isn't because of his legal problems. In the end, he's been an overrated QB his entire career. A young QB that has a turnover problem, should not be trying to emulate an older QB with a turnover problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, but he can teach him through the mistakes he has made in trying to force something that isn't going to fit and in turn allowing Smith to have a longer healthier career.  Plus, he knows MM system

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#779 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,818 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:14 PM

It should, but he's had enough to sign a Revis or Rodgers Cromartie and a Receiver or safety with what he has now and still has done diddly. So now the money pile will grow bigger but we'll be left with table scraps. Plus we may not have a starting QB OR backup QB

When Idzik had little to work with last year, he put together a respectable team. We had some good under the radar signings. This year it seems he's gone too Lamoriello circa 1995-1999 in his dealings

Maybe there is something to what you're saying.

http://profootballta...iating-tactics/

Multiple agents told Mehta the Jets engaged in “questionable practices” by leading them to believe the team’s interest was at a level that the eventual offers apparently didn’t match.

That specific accusation comes in an article that focuses primarily on the frustrations arising within the organization regarding the slow pace of G.M. John Idzik in free-agency negotiations.  An unnamed member of the organization said that Idzik “operates on his own time and schedule,” and that the situation is “unbelievable.”

Posted Image

#780 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

Maybe there is something to what you're saying.

http://profootballta...iating-tactics/

Idzik can probably do much better things if he waits, because usually the price comes down tremendously later in the market.

It's teams like the Redskins that get crushed because they comitt too early and end up negotiating contracts up by themselves because they are susceptible to agent hyperbolic tactics.  

That Idzik pisses off agents, is actually a good thing for the Jets.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users