859 replies to this topic

#61 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

Brady is a great example of working hard to prepare for when the moment hits.

Absolutely.  But my question boils down to whether guys like Brady would have succeeded, and to what extent they would have succeeded, had they essentially had to start from scratch whenever they got their chance.  We know for a fact that Manning did.  And we have a before and after shot of what happened to the Colts when he wasn't playing, and how well the Patriots did when Brady missed a season.  In my mind that's what makes Manning the better QB than Brady and Montana (not including guys before my time like Unitas). 

NOTE: I'm creating a new thread devoted to discussing who the better player is.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#62 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

..the most unwanted guy in Tennessee.

http://espn.go.com/n...ng-shonn-greene

"I have never been a big fan of the two-back system, so I don't know how we plan on using him. (Greene) I'm not afraid of competition, but I was thinking we'd maybe get a draft pick for the other back. You don't give a guy that kind of money to be just a goal-line guy in tough-yardage situations. I don't mind a guy getting a carry or two. But if I am the main guy and it is supposed to be my team, it shouldn't be an issue. At the end of the day, I think there's a chance it could turn into some controversy, but I am hoping for the best. So, we'll see what happens." --Chris Johnson

http://m.nfl.com/new...d-shonn-greene/

"Shonn's a good running back, but when he signed I said: 'Dang, some guys never even got a chance to play, so why add someone like that?' All this talk about needing another running back to help C.J. kind of made me upset. I'm like, 'Man, they had some good running backs behind C.J. and they just never even really got a chance.' And because we were not able to play, it made it look like C.J. didn't have any help. C.J. had help, but they never used it. It's frustrating." --Javon Ringer

..have fun Shonn! And all Titans fans in general for that matter, who'll punch their walls watching 3rd and 1.. become 4th and 1.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#63 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,261 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

This is good that CJ is pissed, as he needs to step it up.   SInce he signed his contract a few years ago, he has had to battle injuries and teams keying on him.   This could be a win for CJ and the Titans in the long run, but with no QB this is going to take awhile.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#64 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,261 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

How is Tebow still on the Jets?

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#65 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,814 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

How is Tebow still on the Jets?

If they cut him they free up cap space, what they're trying to do now is legitimize him so they can trade him. They are trying to trade him for anything...bag of pucks as the NHL analogy goes

Once they exhaust this...he'll get cut

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#66 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

If they cut him they free up cap space, what they're trying to do now is legitimize him so they can trade him. They are trying to trade him for anything...bag of pucks as the NHL analogy goes

Once they exhaust this...he'll get cut

I'm starting to suspect that this is all part of Idzik's let it burn strategy.  The Jets can finish 0-16 this year, and Idzik's job is safe.  Rex brought in Tebow and huffed and puffed about how good he could make him.  From Idzik's point of view, let's see if another year proves Rex to be wrong.  If it turns out to be the disaster it was last year, Idzik will still be the GM with a high first round draft pick.  Or maybe, Morningweig is able to get some value out of Tebow, which might be possible considering the OC was an incomptent boob last year.  If he does, Idzik comes out looking like a genius.  Win-win for Idzik.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#67 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,261 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

Does Tebow have bonus coming at a certain date?  Usually players get cut before this is due.

Jacksonville was originally his destination, but the new GM said, they are not interested (I would assume if the Jets have no takers, Tebow is a Jag, just for ticket sales).

I never bought into Rex wanting Tebow.  This was a Woody move and Rex was basically mouthing the script.

But again, with a real OC this year, it might change things.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#68 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

And to top off my **** mood from the Devils game even more, apparently the Revis trade is officially done with the Bucs.  No word yet on what we're getting back.  So tired of this team trading its best players year after year.

lol the deal is apparently a first this year (the 13th overall) and a fourth rounder next year which 'might' turn into a third :argh:

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#69 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,814 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

Not exactly what I wanted...wouldnt of done it for less than a 2013 1st and 2014 2nd
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#70 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,908 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

The shocking thing to me is that there was no guaranteed money in Revis' new deal. 6 years $96 mil straight up, $16 mil per season.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#71 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

The shocking thing to me is that there was no guaranteed money in Revis' new deal. 6 years $96 mil straight up, $16 mil per season.

How does non guaranteed money work with the cap? Is there no cap hit once he gets cut?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image

#72 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,261 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

I think this is actually a move in the right direction for the Jets in the long run.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#73 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

I think this is actually a move in the right direction for the Jets in the long run.

They'd lose with him just the same as they'll lose without him, so it had to be done.  And actually, the secondary was not the Jets' problem last year.  Rather, a lackluster offense. 

If I'm Idzik, I'd consider swinging for the fences and drafting Austin and Eiffert, if they're available.     

Posted Image

#74 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,261 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:40 PM

They'd lose with him just the same as they'll lose without him, so it had to be done.  And actually, the secondary was not the Jets' problem last year.  Rather, a lackluster offense. 

If I'm Idzik, I'd consider swinging for the fences and drafting Austin and Eiffert, if they're available.     

Are they RB's? or O-LInemen?  Because those are the Jests biggest needs...aside from WR, TE, and Linebackers

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#75 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

Are they RB's? or O-LInemen? Because those are the Jests biggest needs...aside from WR, TE, and Linebackers

Austin is a WR in the Percy Harvin mold except faster, actually faster than Chris Johnson.

Eiffert is a TE. 6'6" fast and big.
Posted Image

#76 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,169 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

Get the West Virginia duo!

If not I could live with Austin and Mingo or Jones.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#77 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,814 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Are they RB's? or O-LInemen?  Because those are the Jests biggest needs...aside from WR, TE, and Linebackers

Landing Chris Ivory would help shore up the RB position. Of our 2 first round picks, one should be an O Lineman, the other a TE (Tyler Eifert)

#78 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

Landing Chris Ivory would help shore up the RB position. Of our 2 first round picks, one should be an O Lineman, the other a TE (Tyler Eifert)

The Jets biggest problem last year was the lack of any weapons for Sanchez.  He's shown that he can be a "good enough" QB so long as he has them.  From what I saw, the O-line was ok, albeit nothing special (like secondaries, the grass is always greener on the other side when it comes to O-lines).  Despite losing Revis, the Jets defense was actually decent, but again, nothing special. 

This year, if the Jets have a receivng corps of Austin, Holmes and Eiffert, a better running back than Greene (which is virtually anyone that you could put in pads), along with a coordinator that isn't a total disaster, you might actually have something.  As Dolphins fan, I would be very uneasy facing that attack, as opposed to having to go up against a better guard and a defensive end that won't be game changer. 

Maybe they get lucky and get a competent QB in the second or third round who can make something of it if Sanchez continues to regress. 

As I said though, I hope that the Jets continue to draft players that aren't game breakers like Coples and Kyle Wilson.

Posted Image

#79 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,814 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Coples had a very good year 1. Remains to be seen if he can be a gamebreaker. But he's on the cusp of it.

You're right about Wilson. He has spurts of being average, that's his upside. Most times he's below average. Bad pick

#80 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

Coples had a very good year 1. Remains to be seen if he can be a gamebreaker. But he's on the cusp of it.

You're right about Wilson. He has spurts of being average, that's his upside. Most times he's below average. Bad pick

My point about Coples or any other defensive lineman, is that unless you're projecting a D lineman to be as good as Pierre Paul, I would much rather swing for the fences with unique talents like Austin and Eiffert, especially when your offense is as anemic as the Jets will be otherwise.  I'll take the risk of bust over even the certainty that you get a D linemen that turns out to be a good starter.  Unless you have Peyton Manning as your quarterback, it's those play makers that help you win games. 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users