859 replies to this topic

#81 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

Not a bad philosophy. With Rex at the helm the defense is always at worst average, at best very good. But it's always competitive no matter what crap they throw out there. So why not load up on offense? I wouldn't mind that

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#82 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,189 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

With the state of the Jets, I can hardly fault them for taking 'anything'.  Except a running back, you don't take a running back in the first round when you have nine million other needs.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#83 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

With the state of the Jets, I can hardly fault them for taking 'anything'.  Except a running back, you don't take a running back in the first round when you have nine million other needs.

agreed. Go get Chris Ivory. We'd do fine with an Ivory/Goodson/Powell rotation.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#84 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,384 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

Landing Chris Ivory would help shore up the RB position. Of our 2 first round picks, one should be an O Lineman, the other a TE (Tyler Eifert)

That would be a monster move for the Jets.  I love Ivory, but could they afford him? Especially with two first round picks this year.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#85 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:08 PM

Supposedly yes...the asking price (at least what's rumored) is only a 5th rounder. I'm sure they're holding out for a 4th though

He has injury issues though

#86 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

There goes my idea for the jets Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#87 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,384 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

I love Mel Kiper:  "The Jets are nothing more than a glorified expansion team".

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#88 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

Mel Kiper has had it out for the Jets for decades. Not like he has any credibility left. He takes shots at the Jets every draft

There goes my idea for the jets Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Rams gave up a ton for Austin though. 4 picks is insane. We couldn't give up our entire draft for 1 guy.

Edited by '7', 25 April 2013 - 08:57 PM.

#89 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

Do the Jets scare anyone this year. Maybe Fatcessa is right and is is still Rex's team. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#90 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

Do the Jets scare anyone this year. Maybe Fatcessa is right and is is still Rex's team. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

well, they'll be pretty good on defense. But yea these are head scratchers, even though I don't think either player will bust. Milliner and Richardson were both taken around where they were projected. If anything Milliner dropped a little. He was likely the BPA at #9

Every single remaining pick they have needs to be offense

Edited by '7', 25 April 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#91 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

I hope Robert Woods is still there at #39 but I doubt it

#92 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

I hope Robert Woods is still there at #39 but I doubt it

They have to be drafting a QB with their next pick. If the idea is to make it work with Sanchez, you wouldn't be throwing him to the wolves like this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image

#93 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

The one thing I didn't want the Jets to do, was trade down for extra picks. I think most draft prognosticators will tell you that your higher quality choices come before 40. These are typically the players that can step right into starting role(s). The fact that the Jets had 2 first rounders, and what could really be a poor-mans 1st rounder in the 39th overall, is HUGE.
I find it incredibly intriguing that Lacy, Watson, Moore, Te‘o, and Hunt (all projected by practically everyone to go in the 1st) are still available.. and surprise picks that were really a reach like Hopkins, Elam, Frederick, Manuel, etc. all aided heavily in 1st round proj. talent slipping. Day 2 tomorrow just got a hell of a lot more interesting.

EDIT; The late run on WR's towards the end of the 1st (I believe 4 were chosen) may bode well for a guy like Braylon Edwards.

Edited by Beezer34, 25 April 2013 - 11:01 PM.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#94 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,189 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:01 AM

I have to admit it made me a bit queasy seeing they picked a DT.  They have about nine million other needs first before DT since they already had Mo there.  I mean they could be going 4-3 and need another one but they needed fifty other things too.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#95 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,384 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

Wow, what a bad pick at 13.   If Buffalo hadn't thrown away their pick, the Jets would have had the worst pick.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#96 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

Wow, what a bad pick at 13.   If Buffalo hadn't thrown away their pick, the Jets would have had the worst pick.

The Jets have drafted well since 2000 or so. Better than 2/3rds of the league with. So maybe it's a little early to dump on the pick

#97 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

I have to admit it made me a bit queasy seeing they picked a DT.  They have about nine million other needs first before DT since they already had Mo there.  I mean they could be going 4-3 and need another one but they needed fifty other things too.

This is a deep draft but not a top heavy one. I didn't like it either initially but there was nowhere to go offensively at 13 with true impact players. Tavon Austin was the best offensive player, but the idiot Rams gave up like 4 picks to get a guy who's probably going to be Peter Warrick 2.0 (only Austin is smaller) There are still receivers and TE's to be had.

#98 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,384 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

The Jets have drafted well since 2000 or so. Better than 2/3rds of the league with. So maybe it's a little early to dump on the pick

I would have thought, with the need for receiving help and blocking for Sanchez they would have gone for Eifert who also would have helped the running game as well.   Picking a D linemen for a position that is NOT his strength and probably could have been had later, to me made no sense.

I believe the pick and the ensuing chorus of boos mixed with indifference by the Jets-heavy crowd at Radio City Music Hall spoke volumes.

Edited by MantaRay, 26 April 2013 - 08:46 AM.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#99 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

You know what picks the Jets fans didn't boo? Dwayne Robertson and Vernon Gholston. And those didn't work out so well. Revis and Coples were met with indifference as well...Coples especially since most wanted the bust that went to SD (Ingram) The fans are fans...not scouts.

#100 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

If the plan was to get Austin, the Jets really shot themselves in the foot signaling it.  Maybe St. Louis would have traded into that spot anyway, but there was no reason to blab about it.  Also, St. Louis didn't give up that much to get Austin.  Basically and second and a fourth.

As a Dolphins fan, I was afraid that the Jets would land Austin and Eiffert.  Match-up nightmares.  Instead, they have a CB that will never be as good as the guy they traded away, and a defensive tackle that could be pretty good.  Frankly, I never feared Revis (or any single cornerback not named Deion Sanders) all that much.  Yeah, he shuts down one half of the field, but he's only as valuable as the other CB. 

No matter how good your defense is, it's very difficult to win a lot of games when you can't expect anything more than 17 points a game.  And even if Millner and Richardson reach their potentia immediatelyl, their defense will not be that good.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users