#221 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Brodeur on Clarkson: “I told him, ‘If you want to score 30 you’ve got to score one today.’ He scored, so he told me he’s on pace for 48 now” Lmfao.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#222 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,920 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

Josefson has hardly skated all week - limiting him was a good move. He didn't get much 5 on 5 time but he got time on the PP and the PK.

Liked what Matteau brought - had a few rookie foul ups but I liked the energy, he didn't try to do too much.

Stephen Gionta cannot be playing 15 minutes a night at the NHL level though, something has to be done to nip that in the bud.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#223 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,920 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

It's a glorified pre-season game and their most fit player is playing on his wrong-side wing.

Kovalchuk isn't moving back to LW with DeBoer as coach (unless there are major injuries, and even then only maybe).

#224 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Pleasantly surprised by Matteau tonight. Said he was nervous but he looked pretty confident out there. Couple missed passes and minor mistakes, but no really poor decisions that I saw. Kept it simple. Used his size well for his age. Looks like he'll be a pretty solid bottom 6 forward for us very soon, if not this year.

#225 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

Stephen Gionta cannot be playing 15 minutes a night at the NHL level though, something has to be done to nip that in the bud.

Why not? He didn't do anything wrong, nor has he in his progressively larger sample size. He was solid on the PK, his line established a solid forecheck, he has chemistry with Bernier and Carter, and he won a huge faceoff at the end. I see him as a below average 3rd liner or an elite 4th liner, but I see no reason he can't play decent NHL minutes.

Surely Matteau won't be on the team for much more of the year.

I'd like to see him play on a line without Cam before I judge him. If he plays with Josefson and Clarkson and does well, I don't see why he can't stick around. He's certainly better than the guys we have in the AHL. Now, if we bring in a decent forward and he's gonna be riding the pine, that's a different story.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#226 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,713 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

Kovalchuk isn't moving back to LW with DeBoer as coach (unless there are major injuries, and even then only maybe).

Or they actually get more depth at RW besides Clarkson.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#227 ilene908

ilene908

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

in the first the puck that was hit out by zajac i was able to get tonight :dizzy:

#228 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,144 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

Really liked what I saw out of Teds and Stefan.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#229 TheIceDog

TheIceDog

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

Some missed opportunties in hitting the back of the net as this should have been an easier win. The defensive breakdown ruining a shutout was ugly, but overall a solid effort.
"You're Next".......... Scott Stevens June 20, 1995

"The difference between the Devils and the Rangers? Simple. The Devils are chasing another Stanley Cup title. The Rangers? Well, they're just trying to win a hockey game."
M. Michael Talty February 27, 2009

#230 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

He's playing with a RW. Zubrus can play any position. They had a rush with each other that was an utter mess because they're both on their wrong-sides, shooting wise. I don't know if I see the benefit, since it's no longer being done to conform to Parise's game.

#231 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

Whats all the hate for Greene. I was at the game and thought he was one of our better defensemen where Volchenkov Sal and Zid were shoved off the puck more.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#232 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

He's playing with a RW. Zubrus can play any position. They had a rush with each other that was an utter mess because they're both on their wrong-sides, shooting wise. I don't know if I see the benefit, since it's no longer being done to conform to Parise's game.

I just assumed he was moving back to LW before camp bc that guy in Minnesota left adn then boom he wasn't. It's not like they have a trove of LW's and wouldn't be able to fit him there
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#233 Bryan

Bryan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

undefeated season begins tonight

Awesome!
Posted Image of Zach Parise's McFarlane Figure!

NEW JERSEY In keeping with the fact they are the Devils, New Jersey actually went with a villain by the name of Lex Lou-Lamoriello, an evil genius who finds ways to get around the salary cap until he is stopped in his tracks by Bett-man.

#234 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:45 AM

I thought Tallinder had a very strong game, good transition, good stretch passes all night. Well deserved assist and plus 2 on the night.

Edited by Zubie#8, 20 January 2013 - 03:47 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#235 iceowl14

iceowl14

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

Thought we controlled the game well from the off last night. They moved the puck around well and most of the time were quick to shut down the Islanders' attack. Matteau had a great debut, he's got a good future with the Devils. Apart from the great chance in the first, I though Tedenby looked a bit out of it; just didn't quite get into it as much as he could have but he has some good skates on him so will hopefully see more of him this season. Here's to the first 2 points of the season and long may it continue!

Up The Devils
Twitter: @IceOwl14

#236 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

In many ways (Tedenby, Clarkson, defense, Marty) this was better than I'd dare to hope for.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#237 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

I thought Tallinder had a very strong game, good transition, good stretch passes all night. Well deserved assist and plus 2 on the night.

He did have a terrible play when he whiffed on a hit at the blueline, and then hooked/slashed the player leading to a penalty where the Isles scored. That was out of character a bit.

#238 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

Pretzels!

#239 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,048 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

RW...Lou says Damien in a fruedian slip..hmmm

#240 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,920 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Why not? He didn't do anything wrong, nor has he in his progressively larger sample size. He was solid on the PK, his line established a solid forecheck, he has chemistry with Bernier and Carter, and he won a huge faceoff at the end. I see him as a below average 3rd liner or an elite 4th liner, but I see no reason he can't play decent NHL minutes.

He's neither. I haven't finished looking at the playoffs, but through two rounds, Gionta was at 43% Fenwick. Now I know DeBoer didn't protect them at all, but I can't imagine it gets better as the playoffs move along.

I think it's for defense/transition reasons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users