189 replies to this topic

#121 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

This thread is so full of stupid that Pierre fvcking McGuire would say you're over-projecting. Kid doesn't look like the next Niedermayer? Kid isn't cut from the same rock as Stevens? He won't be the next Lidström? THOSE ARE GENERATIONAL PLAYERS, HALL OF FAMERS, LEGENDS. And obviously those other picks from the same draft will turn into the next Lemieux...

Yeah, sometimes top 5 picks don't pan out. In fact, most of them don't pan out according to the Best Possible Player Projection Comparison (which is stupid anyways). Comparing him to other picks from the same draft, because of what they have accomplished is also downright criminal. None of them have played more than 85 games and (hopefully) have more than 10 seasons ahead of them in the league. The amount of "show me now!" in this thread is ridiculous - the kid stepped into the league at least a year ahead of 95% of all d-men and was just fine. What the hell else do you want? Put up 90 points and fondle you at the same time?

As for "you can't improve your skating" is a bunch of horsesh!t. Kid is barely 20 and has plenty of time to fill out his frame and adjust his body. Or maybe you're so naive that you think it's some random deity that grants a player with skills and he can't do anything to change? Ask Gary Roberts about that. If Larsson wants to, he can improve his skating, explosiveness and stride. Even if he doesn't, he's virtually a lock for being a top 4 defenseman with his vision and first pass.

/vent

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#122 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,364 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

I've always said I hope it never gets ugly for Marty, ever. But as we know, it's always a tough call for everyone, especially when the guy is THE #1 guy in your franchise's history, and has spent his entire career with you to boot, and was willing to take less than market value to stay. Part of what makes these guys all-time greats is the fact that they DON'T give up easily, no matter what.

re: Larsson, unless someone offers something silly, no way. He's barely a fetus in NHL hockey years. I want to see what he could become, as a Devil.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#123 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

I didn't think it was possible, but this thread got even more ridiculous overnight.

Yeah, man I sure wish that 19 year old showed more emotion! I wish he got himself out of position more often so we could see if he would make a desperation back check! How in the hell is it a bad thing that a 18 year old rookie shows composure and poise on the ice? Are you people kidding me? You NEVER see 18 year old defenseman in the NHL, let alone one as composed as Larsson was out there last year.

And to take another quote in this thread: "No natural skating ability whosoever". This might just be the stupidest thing I've read on here in a while. You don't go 4th overall with "no skating ability". He's not going to develop into Nieds, but how many freakin defenseman have? There's such a HUGE middle ground between a solid top pairing D-man and HOF Nieds in terms of skating ability. Just a stupid thing to try and justify.

Uh man some of you guys...congratulations, you've actually managed to rustle my jimmies. Thank God you naysayers aren't working for the Devils staff in any way, shape or form.

I was going to say yours was the only voice of reason. rustle my jimmies... niiiiice. I wish you were a science major - you'd be so fun in our lab at Rutgers.

Marshall too -- I'm so glad neither of you could keep your yap shut either :wub: and were all mean and stuff :evil:

Edited by Pepperkorn, 24 January 2013 - 02:17 PM.

I'm here for the party

#124 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Larsson is a what if.

Subban is a stud and is 23! Something is missing from Larsson's game in my opinion and it is quite possible he puts it all together, but the Devils are a win now team.

If you can get P.K. Subban and put him in this environment the guy will be a beast. 20+ mins a night, pp qb and special teams wiz, he takes the body, and is an agitator. What more do you want?

#125 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

What more do you want?

I don't want his contract and I don't want what he'll cost to acquire.

Edited by Marshall, 24 January 2013 - 02:14 PM.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#126 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Won't take a lot the Canadiens are not exactly in a position of power and apparently he isn't asking for a lot of money. The years are the biggest issue rather than the cap hit.

#127 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

whats worrying me and I KNOW Lidstrom wasnt like that either. But i just can't see Larsson being super aggressive, quick, relentless and hustling hard, battling and skating/backchecking like a madman like Pietrangelo, Doughty, Subban, Letang, Parise or wtv player who's always battling and you see their "fire". Larsson seems so calm, relax and slow. I know it's a good thing to be poised and relax at such a young age but i simply can't picture Larsson catching up to a guy on the breakaway with a crazy backcheck or something like doughty could do. Maybe he can but i never saw anything that suggests that he has the speed for it. Just seems to me he'd try and endup gliding by the end trying to reach for the guy lol

i hope im wrong but thats the thing i don't like in Adam, he seems numb with no emotions all the time. Maybe it's just the haircut?

In all fairness, the only one player we have had in NJ that had the qualities you speak of above was Scott Niedermayer. The other two defensemen, hanging adjacent to his banner at the Rock were also pretty good too. But, I can't picture Stevens or Dano chasing a break-away of Matt Duchene with a tenacious backcheck.

Larsson has a different quality and we need to hone that.

#128 AEWHistory

AEWHistory

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

There have been worse trades in the history of the NHL but I wouldn't do it. I think Larsson is still developing into what he will become. Hopefully his plateau will be much higher. If his current history is an indication then he will still get much better, which means his value will climb. That's just my opinion, of course, but Larsson seems like a keeper. Of course there are very few truly untouchable players in the league. If someone threw a slew of 1st Rounders, established prospects, and really good players into the mix I would personally drive Larsson to the airport, but that isn't going to happen.

That said, with the way Clarkson is looking, I can't help but wonder if his value is creeping up enough to make him worth trading. Then again, why trade a forward when we need the help at forward? Just an idle thought.
Aaron / AEWHistory --- Rockies/Devils fan since 1981!

Trenton Makes and the World Takes..... Or.... Trenton Uses What the World Refuses

#129 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,364 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

If Clarkson continues to have a knack for putting pucks in the net, even if it seems like some of it is by blind luck, I get the feeling he's here for the long haul. Starting to feel like he's one of those guys who is just destined to be here.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 24 January 2013 - 03:11 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#130 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

If Clarkson continues to have a knack for putting pucks in the net, even if it seems like some of it is by blind luck, I get the feeling he's here for the long haul. Starting to feel like he's one of those guy who is just destined to be here.

Clarkson loves being a Devil. And Lou loves keeping guys here who buy into that whole mentality. I think it would take a lot for Lou to part with him.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#131 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

I didn't think it was possible, but this thread got even more ridiculous overnight.

Yeah, man I sure wish that 19 year old showed more emotion! I wish he got himself out of position more often so we could see if he would make a desperation back check! How in the hell is it a bad thing that a 18 year old rookie shows composure and poise on the ice? Are you people kidding me? You NEVER see 18 year old defenseman in the NHL, let alone one as composed as Larsson was out there last year.

And to take another quote in this thread: "No natural skating ability whosoever". This might just be the stupidest thing I've read on here in a while. You don't go 4th overall with "no skating ability". He's not going to develop into Nieds, but how many freakin defenseman have? There's such a HUGE middle ground between a solid top pairing D-man and HOF Nieds in terms of skating ability. Just a stupid thing to try and justify.

Uh man some of you guys...congratulations, you've actually managed to rustle my jimmies. Thank God you naysayers aren't working for the Devils staff in any way, shape or form.

I agree with everything except what you said about composure. You say he showed poise as a rookie, but really I thought he was lost out there at points. Which is expected from an 19 year old playing overseas,I just hope some of those big hits he took and healthy scratches won't stunt his development in the long run. But also, I'm not saying that I wished he showed more emotion, I'm just saying that seeing Larsson last year and Henrique last year there was a big difference in terms of attitude of the two guys. Then again, whether Larsson turns into the next Niedermayer or a bust I doubt we'll be talking about any of this, just trying to be reasonable amongst all this jimmy rustling.
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#132 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

I agree with everything except what you said about composure. You say he showed poise as a rookie, but really I thought he was lost out there at points. Which is expected from an 19 year old playing overseas,I just hope some of those big hits he took and healthy scratches won't stunt his development in the long run. But also, I'm not saying that I wished he showed more emotion, I'm just saying that seeing Larsson last year and Henrique last year there was a big difference in terms of attitude of the two guys. Then again, whether Larsson turns into the next Niedermayer or a bust I doubt we'll be talking about any of this, just trying to be reasonable amongst all this jimmy rustling.

Lidstrom showed zero emotion as a defenseman. Scott Stevens and Chris Pronger showed tons. You can do it even if you're as stoic as a statue. you can't tell their attitude just by looking at them. Maybe Larsson's a jerk and Henrique's the most beloved guy on earth off the ice I don't know but on the ice, the demeanors tell you exactly nothing except that they're two different people
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#133 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Clarkson loves being a Devil. And Lou loves keeping guys here who buy into that whole mentality. I think it would take a lot for Lou to part with him.

My only question surrounding Clarkie is, what is he going to be looking for on his next contract? I would think at least 5 years at around $4M-$4.5M/year....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#134 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Lidstrom showed zero emotion as a defenseman. Scott Stevens and Chris Pronger showed tons. You can do it even if you're as stoic as a statue. you can't tell their attitude just by looking at them. Maybe Larsson's a jerk and Henrique's the most beloved guy on earth off the ice I don't know but on the ice, the demeanors tell you exactly nothing except that they're two different people

I don't know if you understood exactly what I meant, there were times last year that Larsson looked like he lost his best friend, like he was defeated before the puck was dropped. I guess what I really should have said was confidence because Henrique just always seemed ready to go with a spark in his stride while Larsson, not so much.
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#135 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

I know this is a forum and forums are meant to promote open discussions and this thread is an example of one such discussion, but my goodness. I can't believe a thread talking about trading Larsson has gone seven pages. Are we that hard-up for topics?
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#136 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

This thread is so full of stupid that Pierre fvcking McGuire would say you're over-projecting. Kid doesn't look like the next Niedermayer? Kid isn't cut from the same rock as Stevens? He won't be the next Lidström? THOSE ARE GENERATIONAL PLAYERS, HALL OF FAMERS, LEGENDS. And obviously those other picks from the same draft will turn into the next Lemieux...

Yeah, sometimes top 5 picks don't pan out. In fact, most of them don't pan out according to the Best Possible Player Projection Comparison (which is stupid anyways). Comparing him to other picks from the same draft, because of what they have accomplished is also downright criminal. None of them have played more than 85 games and (hopefully) have more than 10 seasons ahead of them in the league. The amount of "show me now!" in this thread is ridiculous - the kid stepped into the league at least a year ahead of 95% of all d-men and was just fine. What the hell else do you want? Put up 90 points and fondle you at the same time?

As for "you can't improve your skating" is a bunch of horsesh!t. Kid is barely 20 and has plenty of time to fill out his frame and adjust his body. Or maybe you're so naive that you think it's some random deity that grants a player with skills and he can't do anything to change? Ask Gary Roberts about that. If Larsson wants to, he can improve his skating, explosiveness and stride. Even if he doesn't, he's virtually a lock for being a top 4 defenseman with his vision and first pass.

/vent

Exactly. I got a buddy who's like 6'5". He's 21 and still has a pretty goofy gait when he WALKS. Give Larsson time, he'll get better. These lanky, tall guys always seem to take longer to get their stride down right. He'll become a better skater, count on it. We may not see tons of spin-o-ramas from him as he gets away from defenders a la Nieds or Paul Martin(in terms of skating prowess), but he can already beat guys with passes out of the d-zone, imagine what he'll be able to do once he reads the ice better. If he looks weak and slow at 25, we can call him less than expected, but before the kid can even get a couple full seasons in, gtfo.

#137 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,543 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

I know this is a forum and forums are meant to promote open discussions and this thread is an example of one such discussion, but my goodness. I can't believe a thread talking about trading Larsson has gone seven pages. Are we that hard-up for topics?

We're that hard up for forwards.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#138 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,181 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

We're that hard up for forwards.

Except that most of this thread has centered around trading Larsson for 'another' defenseman.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#139 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

It's 7 pages because people keep complaining about hypothetical discussion. And then there's the page where I rant about the Montreal media and the hanger-ons around the Habs, like their current coach.

#140 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

I was going to say yours was the only voice of reason. rustle my jimmies... niiiiice. I wish you were a science major - you'd be so fun in our lab at Rutgers.

I try, but couldn't resist throwing that last bit in there :lol:

I actually just graduated from Rutgers in December. Was an engineer, spent my fair share of time in the labs in that horrible engineering building on Busch campus :giggle:

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users