189 replies to this topic

#141 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,754 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

I think some people here are misinterpreting what i've been saying.

1- First of all im not bashing the kid.
2- I'm not saying Larsson is a bust.
3- I'm not saying I expect him to carry our team right now and be ready in his 2nd season.
4- I KNOW most good dmen took awhile to get there and that he could turn out to be really good for us.
5- I wouldnt want to trade Larsson

that being said I still see things from him like his speed and softness that * could potentially * lead him to be just a "good dman" and not a franchise dman like some folks here tagged him with as soon he got drafted. His visions and poised could overcome that lack just like it did with other great dmen. But all things considered those things won't get THAT MUCH better with time and time will tell how good he'll be.

But thats my whole point, i see risk of him not being as good as some folks here are projecting him to be. And some here think the same way based on some post and we get flame for it ? thats like a mother who can't stand to hear that her son may not be as successful as she wants and simply refuse to even consider the possibility / believe it and she's getting pissed at people telling her that.

Nobody here saw enough of Larsson to gauge exactly what he will become, it's totally up in the air. Nobody here can GUARANTEE he's gonna be a top 5-10 dman in the league and no one can guarantee he'll be a bust.

i think he's too good to endup a bust and to make the NHL at his age is remarkable and it's a good start to be a REALLY good dman for sure but who knows.

in 2006 when the Blues drafted Johnson i can assure you they we're thinking they were drafting a future top5 dman in the league, he had all the tools to be the one. Then what we're they thinking watching Toews and Staal lifting the cup few years later and having to trade Johnson cause it was not working out. I dont think we're immune to a similar story, again.. who knows?

Edited by SterioDesign, 24 January 2013 - 04:28 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#142 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,377 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

I know this is a forum and forums are meant to promote open discussions and this thread is an example of one such discussion, but my goodness. I can't believe a thread talking about trading Larsson has gone seven pages. Are we that hard-up for topics?

Schedule's too damned light to start the season...I know it's not true, but for some reason it feels like every other team is playing except for the Devils!
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#143 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Schedule's too damned light to start the season...I know it's not true, but for some reason it feels like every other team is playing except for the Devils!

Good, more time for me to watch the free preview on Center Ice and more time for the Devils to ease back into action while most teams are hitting the ground running a marathon.

#144 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

This is the dumbest fvcking thread I've ever seen on here. I don't even know where to begin.

Look at any of those "stud" defenseman that have been mentioned. Doughty, Pietrangelo, Subban, even Ekman-Larsson. It's hard to argue that any of these guys had a better first year at the pro level than Larsson did. And of course nobody cares to account for the huge adjustment it is to begin playing professionally.

Also, why is it that a top defenseman has to have the skating ability of Nieds, but also the poise and composure of Lidstrom? Different players have different styles. Just because one defenseman gets 60 points/season, doesn't mean he's better than the one who puts up 30. Larsson has a lot of time to develop still. When he's 23, let's see if we'd still want to make the Subban trade.

Larsson did not look lost or out of place playing in NJ last year. That's saying a lot when he's playing alongside some seasoned veterans on a roster that, toward the end, did not have a weak spot on D.

#145 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,569 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

But that's the thing - I look at all these defensemen drafted high, Eric Johnson, Jack Johnson, or even back to Redden and Berard and the list goes on - many of the top defensemen in the league were not high draft picks, and many of the ones taken high don't work out as well they should. I'd be wary about Seth Jones, he has incredible tools but defense isn't just about that - it's about body position, stick position, the outlet pass, all these things that the stat sheet, even the 'advanced' stat sheet, doesn't cover.

In my eyes, Larsson demonstrated that he has all those things last year. He hacked his way to being an average defenseman despite being pretty damn slow. You can't do that on 'tools'. He did it on knowing where to be and making the right plays. Soft?! Larsson took so many big hits I feared for his health and safety. With more speed and anticipation he'll be able to avoid those hits. Being a top defender isn't about speed, otherwise Weber, Chara, and Pronger would never be considered. Even Lidstrom wasn't all that fast - he just knew where to be.

Edited by Triumph, 24 January 2013 - 04:44 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#146 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

But that's the thing - I look at all these defensemen drafted high, Eric Johnson, Jack Johnson, or even back to Redden and Berard and the list goes on - many of the top defensemen in the league were not high draft picks, and many of the ones taken high don't work out as well they should. I'd be wary about Seth Jones, he has incredible tools but defense isn't just about that - it's about body position, stick position, the outlet pass, all these things that the stat sheet, even the 'advanced' stat sheet, doesn't cover.

In my eyes, Larsson demonstrated that he has all those things last year. He hacked his way to being an average defenseman despite being pretty damn slow. You can't do that on 'tools'. He did it on knowing where to be and making the right plays. Soft?! Larsson took so many big hits I feared for his health and safety. With more speed and anticipation he'll be able to avoid those hits. Being a top defender isn't about speed, otherwise Weber, Chara, and Pronger would never be considered. Even Lidstrom wasn't all that fast - he just knew where to be.

I wouldn't say "soft" so much as he does get pushed around. It happened on the Subban hit as well as in the World Junior Championship. I agree though that not getting pushed around is not necessary to being a good or even elite defenseman, the same as speed is not. I only brought it up when comparing Larsson to Doug Hamilton. Both appear to have the same skill set, but Hamilton appears to be tougher.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#147 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,218 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

I know this is a forum and forums are meant to promote open discussions and this thread is an example of one such discussion, but my goodness. I can't believe a thread talking about trading Larsson has gone seven pages. Are we that hard-up for topics?

Discussing hypothetical trades is always fun though. I think it's fun to play "armchair GM" from time to time.

Except that most of this thread has centered around trading Larsson for 'another' defenseman.

That would be my only complaint. I'm really high on both Larsson and Subban and think trade like that would be too much of lateral move. The only way Larsson should ever get moved as I said earlier would be for a young and elite offensive talent like one of the Oilers young guns (which won't happen since teams always value their own prospects more than others).

Getting back to reality there is probably no way that the Devils trade Larsson. He showed so much at such a young age last year, I'm truly excited to see how he develops over the next 5 years.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#148 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Larsson plays timid. He's not ready for the league and should have spent last year in Sweden or the 'A'. His stats are decieving. Yes, he has very good offense kill. However, many times he made the scared play instead of the right play. I love the kid's potential but he's gotta grow a pair and act like he belongs. People talk about Subban being a fvcker but that's also apart of what makes him good. Larsson needs some of that. I'm not saying he needs to tell his coach or his captain to fvck off. He just needs to act like a big boy in a boy's league or else he's going to end up having a very short career cause next time maybe Subban puts him straight through the ice! Maybe, they're hoping keeping him around Stevens will change his mentality a bit. I don't know....

#149 ziti17

ziti17

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

I think everyone just needs to layoff with criticizing Larsson so much. Im not saying he is perfect but he is only a kid, cut him a break. I'm not saying he is the next Lidstrom or Nidermayer, but who is?? I think we should give him a chance to show us what he really is, before we all assume that he will turn out to be nothing more then a below average d-man.

Just felt the need to say this.

Edited by ziti17, 24 January 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#150 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,569 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Larsson plays timid. He's not ready for the league and should have spent last year in Sweden or the 'A'. His stats are decieving. Yes, he has very good offense kill. However, many times he made the scared play instead of the right play. I love the kid's potential but he's gotta grow a pair and act like he belongs. People talk about Subban being a fvcker but that's also apart of what makes him good. Larsson needs some of that. I'm not saying he needs to tell his coach or his captain to fvck off. He just needs to act like a big boy in a boy's league or else he's going to end up having a very short career cause next time maybe Subban puts him straight through the ice! Maybe, they're hoping keeping him around Stevens will change his mentality a bit. I don't know....

I think this is the exact opposite of how Larsson played last year. He stood in and took the hits without coughing up the puck. That play with Subban, he took the hit because he kept the puck so long, and he kept the puck so long because he tried to make a play.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#151 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

Timid? Based on what exactly? He looked like a kid who played with some cajones and fantastic mental strength last season. Maybe if he was a good ol north American boy he wouldn't be stereotyped as a 'soft' player - at least that's the only reason I can think of how someone interpreted him as being soft when hes playing in the NHL away from home, on a team full of good dmen, with loads of expectations, as a 19 year old and performed well.

Edited by devlman, 25 January 2013 - 12:39 AM.

#152 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,865 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:12 AM

You and I watched a different Larsson last year, apparently.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#153 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:46 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure where the soft thing is coming from, he got murdered a few times last season, a soft player would avoid those situations. Think Rolston beating Pronger to the puck by a mile, and then deciding he'd rather let Pronger have it, instead of having Pronger take the body on him, and maybe retain possession.

#154 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

No but if you dont have speed you'd better have strength. Im wondering if this is the issue thats driving lou. is the kid doing enough in the weight room and with the plyometrics?
are we jumping the gun on adam? probably but its a messageboard lol what I saw mostly was a kid having to adjust to the wingers speed in the NHL. when his gap control got tight he was vulnerable and late with his step out pivot speed on the edge was hurting him
behind the net was spotty too, doesnt have the burst to bring it out but showed good hands

chara is a freak 6'-9" with a 12' long stick and can lift any man off the ice with one arm

#155 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,447 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

Give Larsson a chacne, the kid is young and has played like 60 ganmes at the NHL level. It took Neids a few years to develop, defense is a really tough position, But he needs to play, to scratch him everynight is dumb, either play hinm here or let himn play in alblany
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#156 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

But he needs to play, to scratch him everynight is dumb, either play hinm here or let himn play in alblany

Thing of it is, we don't know why he's really being scratched. We don't want to - because our knowing mean the league knowing and that means exposing a weakness that could be exploited. If you are impatient about this as a fan then IMO you dont have the TEAMS best interest at heart - just your own instant gratification

I'm here for the party

#157 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,754 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Give Larsson a chacne, the kid is young and has played like 60 ganmes at the NHL level. It took Neids a few years to develop, defense is a really tough position, But he needs to play, to scratch him everynight is dumb, either play hinm here or let himn play in alblany

Thats right, i mean Lou has to do something it's ridiculous to think we'd go in the season scratching 2 NHL dmen every night while we need help on offence... if we know this... the team knows it too and it must create the same kind of feeling than when they knew they had to get rid of someone to get under the cap few years ago.

As for Larsson he should play, send him down or something and keep one scratch dman whats the point of having 2 ? recall Larsson if you need him it seems obvious to me anyway

www.SterioDesign.com

#158 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,865 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

PDB was quoted as saying something along the lines of "If [Larsson] hadn't already played 30+ games in Albany he'd probably be sent down".

And I'm pretty sure Larsson also said something like he'd rather stay and practice with the big squad and the coaches.

You don't make a roster change when the team is winning. After the team loses I expect Larsson to be put in.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#159 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,754 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

PDB was quoted as saying something along the lines of "If [Larsson] hadn't already played 30+ games in Albany he'd probably be sent down".

And I'm pretty sure Larsson also said something like he'd rather stay and practice with the big squad and the coaches.

You don't make a roster change when the team is winning. After the team loses I expect Larsson to be put in.

yeah but it's not all about Adam either, then youre still scratching 2 NHL dmen. Whats the point?

www.SterioDesign.com

#160 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,377 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

The Devils are 2-0, have given up one goal, and there's something to bitch about and question. Thank God hockey season is back! THIS is what njdevs.com is all about (in a good way...we're talking hockey again)!
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users