54 replies to this topic

#41 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Would everyone here take off their "I'm up the Devils butt and am a hard-up fan" hat for a second please...I don't disagree with this guy at all. The way I look at it is like this - that "no refund policy" should be excerciseable ONLY if the full season were to take place. As far as I am, and many other fans, are concerned, the league and its teams "broke" their contract with season ticket holders by giving them a partial season.

You have heard MANY, MANY, MANY team executives and players say - "This is the business"..."This is entertainment"...yada yada yada...so, if they feel that the business of entertainment can be run that way, well, the "buyer" has every right to complain that his entertainment was NOT respected in good faith...

Bottom line - I'm not impressed by Lou's phone call. Maybe you guys are "woooooooo'ed" by the GM of a team calling you, but as far as I'm concerned I didn't get what I paid for, and so, out of good faith and good will, the Devils should have respected this guy's request and HOPED he would come back next year...

That's my two cents...

#42 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

Would everyone here take off their "I'm up the Devils butt and am a hard-up fan" hat for a second please...I don't disagree with this guy at all. The way I look at it is like this - that "no refund policy" should be excerciseable ONLY if the full season were to take place. As far as I am, and many other fans, are concerned, the league and its teams "broke" their contract with season ticket holders by giving them a partial season.

You have heard MANY, MANY, MANY team executives and players say - "This is the business"..."This is entertainment"...yada yada yada...so, if they feel that the business of entertainment can be run that way, well, the "buyer" has every right to complain that his entertainment was NOT respected in good faith...

Bottom line - I'm not impressed by Lou's phone call. Maybe you guys are "woooooooo'ed" by the GM of a team calling you, but as far as I'm concerned I didn't get what I paid for, and so, out of good faith and good will, the Devils should have respected this guy's request and HOPED he would come back next year...

That's my two cents...

You answered your own question. Hockey is ENTERTAINMENT as well as all professional sports. While the season has been cut almost in half this year, I didn't lose a single cent because of it. While the season ticket holders had their money tied up with the team, the team did indeed offer refunds or credit for every month that wasn't played. Not only that but the STH got interest as well as other perks previously not provided, so honestly they came out ahead in the long run.

To view season tickets as a contract is pure garbage IMO. They are just access to the arena to see your favorite team for the season at a discounted price and with some perks. Nothing more and nothing less. Until the team starts instituting PSL's (Highly unlikely for hockey and the Devils) or if they have something like cell phone plans where you must enter into a 2-year agreement where you have to have ST for a period of time, then season tickets ARE NOT a contract.

The guy in the article was just an entitled weiner who was just pissed off about the lockout, but decided to take it out on the Devils publicly in the paper.

#43 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

That's my two cents...

My 2 cents he was asking for special privledges. He was denied his specific request - probably due to a physical box office problem not easily rectified. Once you cancel tx they probably go into a STH sale list. I'd bet there is no mechanism by which to halt his cancelled season going into the sales queue other than NOT SELLING them - which is not and CANNOT be an option for a team like the Devils. The STH box office system is probably NHL mandated and created for teams like the LEafs who have hundereds upon hudreds on their wait list. There was probably NOTHING the Devils could do to retain his exact seats - nothing that coudl be offered STH wide. Thus dude is asking for special privledges. When push comes to shove if that's exactly what he wants it's not worth it catering to him. :noclue: People have to understand they dont have the right to get exactly what they want. and they have a responsibility to hold up to their end of a bargain. You cannot tell me you all dont know that lockouts and work stoppages loom every 5-10 years. This wasn't somethign any STH was blindsided by.

Anyhow -- stupid of me to respond - some will think what they want to.

I'm here for the party

#44 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

That's my two cents...

I'm with you, Mitico12. Not necessarily the "contract" aspect of it, but definitely the part about "good faith." This perennial lockout thing is pure garbage and regardless of how many fans are willing to not only accept it, but also expect it, a lot of other fans remain disgusted by it. I think the Devils should've given the guy his money back if that's what he really wanted.

However, I disagree with you on Lou's phone call and game invitation. That was a great move on his part. And judging by how Lou deals with the fans, I would imagine that had the guy still insisted on getting his money back, Lou would've made an exception for him.

Sometimes a little public relations goes a long way. It's too bad that there wasn't more of it done by not only our favorite team, but the league as a whole.

#45 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

http://www.njdevsblo...e-1986-lou.html

Awesome story.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#46 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,872 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Awesome story.

Great story. I've told the story before, but I wrote Lou a letter imploring him to not let Stevens get away in the summer of '94 when Stevens was rumored to be heading back to St. Louis. About a week later, I got a letter back from Lou assuring me Scotty would be taken care of. A month later, Scotty was signed to a long term deal. It floored me when I got a letter back, I had no idea that Lou actually personally answered his mail lol. He really is one of a kind.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#47 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,736 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

If the guy just wanted his money back he could have done that months ago when they first started canceling games but this guy wanted his money back AND he wanted his seats saved for him for the 13-14 season. No team will save your seats for next season if you aren't paying for this one.

#48 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

I'm with you, Mitico12. Not necessarily the "contract" aspect of it, but definitely the part about "good faith." This perennial lockout thing is pure garbage and regardless of how many fans are willing to not only accept it, but also expect it, a lot of other fans remain disgusted by it. I think the Devils should've given the guy his money back if that's what he really wanted.

He can get his money back absolutely -- he just can't retain his seats. THAT was the only thing he was asking for. HE can cancel and re-up for luck of the draw seats next season. The organization simply couldn;t guarentee him the same seats.

Perenial lockout is not under the teams control. To hold the team responsible for a league action is garbage. Use a little empathy - think about more than one or two single tickets or STHs Seriously -- you're not looking it from a realistic perspective just a perspective of self.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 29 January 2013 - 01:13 PM.

I'm here for the party

#49 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

That's my two cents...

You also paid for something with the full knowledge that a season would not occur as scheduled. Why would you have done that, then complain about it? Don't tell me it was for the perks you get for paying up-front because there's still people here waiting for their perks from last season, lol. It's definitely a bad bet to make one of those perks the reason you held up hundreds, depending on where you sit, thousands of dollars.

Also, the terms of everyone's contract covered this contingency and if you didn't like it, you shouldn't have signed your name. No one made you do it, but yourself.

I mean, everyone here was on Jeff VBK side during the arbitration with Newark. Well, did anyone here say Newark got bamboozled by the Devils? No, because they didn't do it, the NHA and Sharpe James did that just fine themselves, but point stands is, you sign a contract, you should know what is in it and if you don't like it, don't sign it.

Edited by ATLL765, 29 January 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#50 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

You also paid for something with the full knowledge that a season would not occur as scheduled. Why would you have done that, then complain about it? Don't tell me it was for the perks you get for paying up-front because there's still people here waiting for their perks from last season, lol. It's definitely a bad bet to make one of those perks the reason you held up hundreds, depending on where you sit, thousands of dollars.

Also, the terms of everyone's contract covered this contingency and if you didn't like it, you shouldn't have signed your name. No one made you do it, but yourself.

I mean, everyone here was on Jeff VBK side during the arbitration with Newark. Well, did anyone here say Newark got bamboozled by the Devils? No, because they didn't do it, the NHA and Sharpe James did that just fine themselves, but point stands is, you sign a contract, you should know what is in it and if you don't like it, don't sign it.

But I wanna have my cake and eat it toooooo

Posted Image
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#51 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

He can get his money back absolutely -- he just can't retain his seats. THAT was the only thing he was asking for. HE can cancel and re-up for luck of the draw seats next season. The organization simply couldn;t guarentee him the same seats.

Perenial lockout is not under the teams control. To hold the team responsible for a league action is garbage. Use a little empathy - think about more than one or two single tickets or STHs Seriously -- you're not looking it from a realistic perspective just a perspective of self.

I didn't think it was clear in the article whether or not him being unable to retain his seats for next season was the MAIN factor in him deciding to giving up his battle. I thought it said that he had just upgraded his seats from last year. Doesn't that mean he is now paying more for season tix? Are the Devils doing so well in season ticket sales that they wouldn't care if he decided not to renew at all?

But leaving that aside, while it is true that no fan should hold any one individual team wholly responsible for the league's action to lock out the players, cancel games and re-do the whole schedule, fans can't be expected to totally absolve the teams either. The teams (including the players, of course) are the league. They're the ones that charge the fans for their product.

If fans thinks it's bullsh!t that the season got chopped in half, who else are they going to take it out on? The teams are the ones that are going to lose those fans' money.

One would think they would've been more concerned about that.

Edited by 95Crash, 29 January 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#52 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

If fans thinks it's bullsh!t that the season got chopped in half, who else are they going to take it out on? The teams are the ones that are going to lose those fans' money.

One would think they would've been more concerned about that.[/size]

I think Lou talking to the guy and giving him suite access for Opening Night is showing some concern over how the fans feel.

I don't understand anyone making the Devils out to be the bad guy here. The guy paid for season tickets, whatever the season wound up being. There's no contractual agreement the season has to be 44 home games including preseason. He paid for the season and got refunded the difference in canceled games.

Like Darwin said, the guy wanted to have his cake and eat it too. It would be one thing if the guy just wanted his money back, at least you could make a case on principle if not fact that he was cheated. But he also wanted to reserve his seats for next year too, it doesn't work that way.

#53 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

I said a couple of times earlier in the thread that it was a great job by Lou. I assume the guy agrees, at least partially, since he dropped the matter.

#54 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

However, I disagree with you on Lou's phone call and game invitation. That was a great move on his part. And judging by how Lou deals with the fans, I would imagine that had the guy still insisted on getting his money back, Lou would've made an exception for him.

Sometimes a little public relations goes a long way. It's too bad that there wasn't more of it done by not only our favorite team, but the league as a whole.

Why did he pay, then? The lockout was a mystery? Basically people are saying we should reward this guy for his stupidity, and I don't agree with that. Hell, where do you draw the line, should I get a refund for the first half of 10-11 when they were incredibly horrid?

Edited by maxpower, 29 January 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#55 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

I disagree, I've reached out to Lou and had him personally respond to me. If you take the time to hand write Lou a letter, he will get in touch with you if you ask for a response.

this is true^ he hand-wrote my rejection letter when i sent them my resume lol

"THREW ONE IN FRONT IT’S BLOCKED THERE, SCRAMBLE FOR IT THERE THEY POKE AWAY AT IT, STILL ITS LOOSE, POKED AT BY KOVALCHUK-
THEY SCOOOOOOOOOREEEEEEE!!!!! HENRIQUE!! ITS OVER!!”

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users