70 replies to this topic

#41 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

It's not his size - he has no clue what he is doing in the defensive zone, and he's not good enough with the puck to make up for that.

+1
Totally clueless in the defensive zone. Him and Janssen on the same line last night was absolutely brutal to watch.

#42 devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

This will be good for him and the Devils. Hopefully he can work on his defense and strength while rebuilding confidence. Maybe we'll see him again.
Official Keeper of the 3 story statue of a hockey player by the artist J. Krawczyk.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchens

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#43 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

That doesn't make any sense. Who wanted Mattias Tedenby 2 years ago? Why would NJ trade him?

I think he might've had some value to some GM out there after his 50ish game stint during the 2010-2011 season. Of course at that point it looked like he actually had some potential, so I can't necessarily blame Lou for not trading him. But, speaking as a know-nothing armchair GM here, I would've looked around for a lower-risk player.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#44 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Anytime I hear his name I will always think of the Devils passing up Carlson. I thought for sure they were going to take him. Still disappointing. That said, I was a huge Tedenby fan. I can't believe that he never built off his 2010-11 season. Talking to him at the player skate which a family friend gave me tickets for, he seemed like a really cool dude.

Starting to feel that this is the end of the road for him though. Bergfors was actually better, he had some nice plays before being a vital asset in the Kovalchuk trade. What a shame this turned out to be

#45 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,717 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

I know hindsight is 20/20 on the Carlson pick, but wasn't one of the picks the devils got from trading down the one they used in Henrique? I may have my years off.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#46 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I know hindsight is 20/20 on the Carlson pick, but wasn't one of the picks the devils got from trading down the one they used in Henrique? I may have my years off.

I dunno about that but they were int he same draft. And for the hindsight people, the NHL central scouting bureau had Tedenby ranked higher than Erik Karlsson among Euro skaters so it's not like we picked him out of nowhere.

He's got the skills just doesn't play defense and isn't strong enough/whatever it takes to get past his size. It's probably extremely hard to pick those particular attributes out of an 18 year old kid playing in Europe when he's not playing against the highest level (I think Tedenby was a level lower than JJ when we drafted him). If someone claimed him on waivers, it'd be a miracle. Looks like he's going to end up back in Europe.

Edited by DH26, 28 January 2013 - 04:55 PM.

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#47 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,558 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

No. The Devils got the picks for Cormier and Urbom by trading down.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#48 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Right move for sure. I won't stop pulling for him as his effort is not his issue. The only time I get fed up and give up on our young guys is when they lack effort. I think his hockey IQ is holding him back just as much as his stature. And hockey IQ is something he can learn. His motor will always be great and if the coaches can get him flying around to the right places he could still be a very useful, but maybe, unfortunately, useful in the AHL or Europe.

The pick was a high risk selection for a high end skilled forward..a very un-devil like pick that, at the time, I was applauding due to the complete lack of flair in our forward prospect pool (something that our prospect pool still very much lacks today). Looking back at drafts in ALL sports is incredibly frusturating. You can usually cherry pick an example of someone who turned out great chosen later just as easily as finding an example of a player who was picked earlier that ended up worse.
"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#49 third man in

third man in

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

The right move for now...however I can see him back in a 3rd line role once we get Henrique back and can better balance out our lines. Great skill set, just needs to work on the little things and get his confidence back up there.

#50 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,370 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

Amazing how quickly these dreams can end. It's not over for him yet, but one wonders how many more chances he's going to get.

And I always wonder how these guys take it when they realize the dream is over...and how long that realization haunts them.

I've posted this before, but former Colorado Rockie and NJ Devil Merlin Malinowski was drafted 27th overall by the Rockies in the 1978 draft, and was considered to be a big-time prospect. He had his breakout year in 1980-81, scoring 25 goals and adding 37 assists in 69 GP...he was considered to be an up-and-comer, a guy who would be a terrific playmaker for years to come. The following year, he played in 69 games again, but saw his production slide (41 points), his playing time get cut, and even started getting scratched. Despite scoring 3 goals and adding two assists in five games as a Devil, he was traded to the Whalers, and played so poorly for that team that not only did Hartford release him, no one else in the NHL wanted him, or would even give him a chance. At 25 and with just 282 NHL games under his belt, his NHL dream was toast, though he did enjoy many productive years in the Swiss leagues afterward.

I got to talk to him, and I could really hear the pain and regret in his voice that his NHL career didn't last longer or go better. After a few minutes I could tell it still hurt him, so many years after his last NHL game. And I wonder if it was like that for Bergfors, or will be for Tedenby if he doesn't pan out. It's one thing to be a low draft pick and have minimal talent, but just like Malinowski all those years ago, Bergfors and Tedenby were drafted where they were because it was strongly believed that they could not only get to the NHL fairly quickly, but thrive upon getting there. What goes through their minds when it's all over? Do they feel like they failed? Or that their teams failed them? That they had given more, tried harder (Malinowski admitted as such)? I guess I'll always wonder about such things...when the dream ends...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 28 January 2013 - 05:28 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#51 ziti17

ziti17

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Not giving up on this guy yet, always like Teddy. With that said, he will definitely be better off in the minors. Hopefully one day he will be able to make it back to the NHL, but clearly he is not ready now.

#52 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,013 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

The NHL level coaches were helping in Albany during the lockout right? I can't remember but if that is true and Teddy still had these positional and hockey sense issues that does not bode well.

#53 losdiablos103

losdiablos103

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Hope it's to bring up Butler!
Posted Image Posted Image

#54 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

There are 3 things that really hurt Tedenby.

1. Speed-way to slow for his size
2. Shot-not a NHL caliber shot and has ZERO finishing skills.
3. Hockey Sense- he is one of those players that will never get it, no matter who tells him or the number of times. He just doesn't have the hockey sense.

#55 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

There are 3 things that really hurt Tedenby.

1. Speed-way to slow for his size
2. Shot-not a NHL caliber shot and has ZERO finishing skills.
3. Hockey Sense- he is one of those players that will never get it, no matter who tells him or the number of times. He just doesn't have the hockey sense.

I agree with 1 and 2, but lots of people said Kovy had no hockey sense, and he got better. Hockey sense can be taught to a certain degree. He'll never have the intuitive knowledge the Elias has, but he could become a smart enough player somewhere, though probably not the NHL.

Edited by mouse, 28 January 2013 - 08:49 PM.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#56 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Wasn't a fan of the pick when it was made and watching the draft. The more I saw of Tedenby on extended game tape (and not just snapshot highlight reels) the less enthused I became about him being an NHLer. I rarely like to sort of tout a feeling I had on somebody for one, because it's hard for people to verify that regardless, but especially when it is about a guy who may be seeing his NHL dream crumble before him, but I never saw the sense in this pick at all.

I'd really like to know what was going through Conte and Labraaten's minds when the pick was made and what they think even now. I'd also like to know what kind of assessment the Devils org does on their guys in terms of development and how that may factor into or affect future evaluation of guys in the draft that may be similar in terms of size, liabilities, production, etc.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#57 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

Wasn't a fan of the pick when it was made and watching the draft. The more I saw of Tedenby on extended game tape (and not just snapshot highlight reels) the less enthused I became about him being an NHLer. I rarely like to sort of tout a feeling I had on somebody for one, because it's hard for people to verify that regardless, but especially when it is about a guy who may be seeing his NHL dream crumble before him, but I never saw the sense in this pick at all.

I'd really like to know what was going through Conte and Labraaten's minds when the pick was made and what they think even now. I'd also like to know what kind of assessment the Devils org does on their guys in terms of development and how that may factor into or affect future evaluation of guys in the draft that may be similar in terms of size, liabilities, production, etc.

NHL Central Scouting had him ranked higher than last year's norris winner so somebody else obviously saw something too
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#58 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Yeah, this is expected. It's such a shame to see someone with talents that aren't easy to teach, to continue to disappoint. I won't give up on him, but I would definitely hope to see some really good AHL numbers if there is ever a chance he sees NHL time in the future. You would think that a couple years of good coaching would result in some improvements, but it doesn't seem to be so with Tedenby.

But if this means Darche is getting signed, I'm going to be very scared for this team.

#59 oconnellrules

oconnellrules

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

there MUST be some sort of trade in the works...or at least being attempted

cmon marty

#3 #4 #27 #30 #26

#60 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,558 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

What was going through their mind? I mean, can't you figure that out yourself? Tedenby's fast, he's good in traffic, he looks to have elite stick-handling skills, and he played for a men's team at age 17-18. I wasn't a fan of the pick either but it's exactly the kind of pick you want to make at the bottom of the first round - a boom or bust selection, take the guy with the best skills and hope you can get everything else to work by the strength of your organization. Tedenby's issue seems to be that he hasn't really improved. He's quick, but his top speed doesn't seem faster than average, his defense never developed, and his shot isn't there either.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users