187 replies to this topic

#181 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

This team doesn't need a scorer, just a competent third line, as talked about in chat last night

Henrique zajac kovy
Elias zubrus clarkson
? JJ ?/Anderson
Cbgb

I liked what I saw from Anderson. Played hard and aggressive. Much better than teddy. Felt like another carter. A Poni like player on that third line would be great

It's still very early, don't want to diminish that, but the Devils have gotten four goals from Clarkson, at a 16.7% shooting%, and he's averaging 4.8 shots per game. Kind of hard to think that will continue, no matter great of a story Clarkson has become. Devils are also averaging 1.6 GPGA (eliminating the phantom goal that goes against them for losing the shootout). I can't expect that to continue either.

There are other guys who can step up when Clarkson cools off a bit (Kovy has a solid 5 points in 5 GP, but hasn't gone on one of his rampages yet...when he does, Zajac will start getting his assists), and like I've said, getting Henrique back is key. And it's like I said, I don't think the Devils necessarily need a sniper, just a guy who can score a bit, pitch in. But I think Henrique has to come back, and more games need to be played before the Devils can accurately assess what is needed where. I maintain that the 8-points-in-5-games start was huge...gives them valuable time to be patient.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#182 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

Clarkson re: Marchand's nose

Posted Image

I'm loving Clarkson this year

I was just checking solely to see if anyone else caught this. That's Grade-A trolling by Clarkson right there. :lol:
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#183 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

It's still very early, don't want to diminish that, but the Devils have gotten four goals from Clarkson, at a 16.7% shooting%, and he's averaging 4.8 shots per game. Kind of hard to think that will continue, no matter great of a story Clarkson has become. Devils are also averaging 1.6 GPGA (eliminating the phantom goal that goes against them for losing the shootout). I can't expect that to continue either.

There are other guys who can step up when Clarkson cools off a bit (Kovy has a solid 5 points in 5 GP, but hasn't gone on one of his rampages yet...when he does, Zajac will start getting his assists), and like I've said, getting Henrique back is key. And it's like I said, I don't think the Devils necessarily need a sniper, just a guy who can score a bit, pitch in. But I think Henrique has to come back, and more games need to be played before the Devils can accurately assess what is needed where. I maintain that the 8-points-in-5-games start was huge...gives them valuable time to be patient.

I agree with most of what you said. It's not so much that I expect clarkson to keep producing at this clip, but that line has wreaked havoc in the o zone. I wonder what their possession numbers look like when together. Elias and zubrus will get going too.

Edited by Devils Pride 26, 30 January 2013 - 08:19 AM.

#184 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

We've already seen Elias and zubrus do the heavy lifting with sykora, and now they have a guy strong on the puck and in the corners. If I'm deboer, I ride those three out as long as I can

Edit: iPhone from class really sucks for posting here. Fingers are too fat to type

Edited by Devils Pride 26, 30 January 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#185 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

Volchenkov dont look bad today.... Andy greene cant even control the puck...... i dont what happen with im nerves ??? trade rumor etc....

anyways put larsson in hte lineup quick

#186 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,906 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

4.8 shots a game - yeah he won't keep that up. 3.5 shots a game, while playing on the #1 PP and with Elias and Zubrus? He just might. Elias and Zubrus's line are the only one not getting killed - in fact, they're way in the black. Hopefully adding Henrique to the top line will shore that one up (though I think DeBoer will for some reason split up Elias, Zubrus, Clarkson and move Zubrus with Kovalchuk)

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#187 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,473 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

I was just checking solely to see if anyone else caught this. That's Grade-A trolling by Clarkson right there. :lol:

Yeah -- but look where it got us <_< I hate it when that happens. Quality work going to waste like that. At least I dont think it was inspiring ... just confirmation Clarky picked the right target.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 30 January 2013 - 10:49 AM.

I'm here for the party

#188 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

NJ had their chances and so did Boston. The bright side is that the mistakes in the defensive zone and that moose hadn't played only bit us once. In the new NHL you can't really be upset when you lose and only score 1 goal. We should send Tyler Seguin a nice thank you card for giving us that one point lol.

815631765.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users