64 replies to this topic

#21 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,286 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

I think Zidlicky would actually get us the best return. I think a Tallinder or Greene could be good pieces, but there'd have to be more to it if anything of merit is coming back.

If I could choose, I would try to force Volchenkov off on someone.

Zids has like 4 assists and is an asset to our powerplay. Volchenkov goes.
Like I've said before, Volch's forte was the shot block. Marty apparently isn't high on shot blocks so I never really knew why we got him.
I think Sal does a much better job of doing what Volchenkov does and that's shut down D.
Sal also has a decent shot for a shut down D Man. Volch's shot always seemed pretty weak.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#22 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,289 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

The only d-men I can see getting moved would be Tallinder, Volchenkov, or Greene. Out of those 3 I think Tallinder is the most likely but I would prefer to see Volchenkov or Greene go before him. Volchenkov will definitely bring back the least in return.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#23 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

None of our starting D is going to fetch anything other than a depth player which is not enough. To get anything one of them will have to be packaged with some of our prospects. I don't know if Lou is ready to mortgage anything at this point. Plus, the team as contructed is hanging tight in every game so there is no rush to make a move. However, if we want any playoff success again this year something will have to be done.

#24 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

Volchenkov has a no trade clause so you can forget about him being moved

#25 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,286 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

Volchenkov has a no trade clause so you can forget about him being moved

He can waive it.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#26 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

None of our starting D is going to fetch anything other than a depth player which is not enough. To get anything one of them will have to be packaged with some of our prospects. I don't know if Lou is ready to mortgage anything at this point. Plus, the team as contructed is hanging tight in every game so there is no rush to make a move. However, if we want any playoff success again this year something will have to be done.

I think we could get a third liner. If you're saying a third liner is only a depth player, I guess you're right, but I don't buy that a third liner isn't enough. When Henrique comes back, our top 6 will be very good. We have Josefson, who should be a fine anchor for the third line. If we keep Matteau (doubtful), he's already good enough to play some third line minutes. If a guy like Butler pans out, we need one more guy to fill the line out. I think the trade absolutely solves that problem. If the team stays healthy, they can come close to replacing Zach's production (Zajac full season, Henrique developing, Josefson full season, Zid improving the PP). We need to replace Poni's production on the third line.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#27 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Perreault is being healthy scratched in Washington. Relatively young, had 30 points in 64 games last year on a two year contract at one million dollar cap hit. He would be a nice player to have and I wouldnt be surprised if they make some moves early if they keep losing.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#28 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

I'm actually kind of interested in Perreault as well. I doubt it would take very much to make that trade happen. What were you thinking?

It seems like a low risk/high reward type of deal, but if Darche gets signed, I wouldn't count on this happening.

#29 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

I dont know if the Caps need any Dmen but Tallinder for Pearreault straight up would be a good deal. Both have two years left on their contracts. If the Caps keep sinking they might become good trade partners. I would also think Oates wouldnt mind seeing a familar face come his way in a trade from NJ. Might make sense for both parties depending what the Caps want.

EDIT: Ponikarovsky one assist in eight games. Get him back Lou!

Edited by Zubie#8, 02 February 2013 - 12:42 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#30 ziti17

ziti17

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

Stephen Weiss maybe?

#31 Henriqued

Henriqued

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

I am not sure why alot of people put andy greene on the trade block...I think hes one of our more well rounded defensemen...Volchenkov and Tallinder are much worse

#32 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

I am not sure why alot of people put andy greene on the trade block...I think hes one of our more well rounded defensemen...Volchenkov and Tallinder are much worse

Why would another team want a player that you think isn't good?
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#33 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:20 AM

Does anyone think Buffalo would be a good trade partner and would we be interested in anyone on that team?

They are having defensive problems so far this year and maybe they would be interested in bringing Tallinder back. He had some good years there and he tutored Myers who is now struggling.

EDIT: Although we can use a big body Nathan Gerbe intrigues me. He can put up 40 points in a full season and he doesn't play like a small player (but my god he is small). He will also bring some speed which we need. Both Tallinder and Gerbe have 2 years left, Gerbe with a 1.45 cap hit.

Edited by Zubie#8, 04 February 2013 - 02:44 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#34 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Does anyone think Buffalo would be a good trade partner and would we be interested in anyone on that team?

They are having defensive problems so far this year and maybe they would be interested in bringing Tallinder back. He had some good years there and he tutored Myers who is now struggling.

EDIT: Although we can use a big body Nathan Gerbe intrigues me. He can put up 40 points in a full season and he doesn't play like a small player (but my god he is small). He will also bring some speed which we need. Both Tallinder and Gerbe have 2 years left, Gerbe with a 1.45 cap hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTDCjVzPsZo

No because you are mistaken. Buffalo are in the same boat we are in. You know who I think could make a good trading partner with us? The Jets. With Buff injured in Winnipeg & a weak bottom six D - maybe the Jets could use an extra D man.

With Burmy not doing that well there (I think he's in the AHL now) I think a change of scenery could do him some good. If he could live up to his potential then said trade would be a steal in the Devils favor. I really see Burmistrov...if he could ever get it together scoring like he did in his junior days with the Barrie Colts 22-25 goals easy. His potential to me says way more then someone who just scores 6 to 13 goals. If Tallinder is going to "just fetch an AHLer" then go after Burmistrov. I think he could be acquired at a cheaper price then expected. This isn't Evander Kane.

Edited by TheMazz, 04 February 2013 - 11:11 AM.

n2eg.jpg

#35 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Yeah i love the way gerbe play i always notice him speed strengt and he's just playing like he is 6 foot 2 200 pound. I would love him here for sure.

My only concern is.... I want us to try Butler on more minute, i have the feeling he can bring us the same thing gerbe would bring us...

Edited by caron14, 04 February 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#36 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

:argh: I just feel like this is all based on faulty logic.

Our D SUCKS! It's only in carrying this load that we have our bases close to being covered. Getting rid of one cog at this point in time, for all that we'd realistically get in return, would cause nothing but damage to the team as a whole. "Maybe Volchenkov will learn something from Stevens" is as valid as "maybe *insert middling forward here* will work out well on the team." "Can't be any worse" reasoning however, is WRONG - the D less one part CAN AND WILL be worse than it is now. Your return on our best middling Dman is you have a bunch of forwards who aren't superduper being asked to cover both ends of the ice. Getting rid of D for a forward will not solve our D problems. It's faulty logic. No team in need of defence will give up a serviceable two-way player for one sh!tty defenceman.

This thread reminds me of this weekends This American Life about Kid Logic whereby using perfectly valid logic, the absolute wrong conclusion is reached.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 04 February 2013 - 11:37 AM.

I'm here for the party

#37 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

:argh: I just feel like this is all based on faulty logic.

Our D SUCKS! It's only in carrying this load that we have our bases close to being covered. Getting rid of one cog at this point in time, for all that we'd realistically get in return, would cause nothing but damage to the team as a whole. "Maybe Volchenkov will learn something from Stevens" is as valid as "maybe *insert middling forward here* will work out well on the team." "Can't be any worse" reasoning however, is WRONG - the D less one part CAN AND WILL be worse than it is now. Your return on our best middling Dman is you have a bunch of forwards who aren't superduper being asked to cover both ends of the ice. Getting rid of D for a forward will not solve our D problems. It's faulty logic. No team in need of defence will give up a serviceable two-way player for one sh!tty defenceman.

This thread reminds me of this weekends This American Life about Kid Logic whereby using perfectly valid logic, the absolute wrong conclusion is reached.

For a player like Seto...maybe this is right but not with someone like Burmistrov. He's fallen out of favor with the Jets and I think would be very easy to acquire. Tallinder isn't enough? OK AHL forward and/or a pick. Really it shouldn't take that much to get someone like him but as someone who has watched a lot of Jets games and knows how the guy plays I can tell you that getting this player would be a STEAL.

A trade for Burmistrov screams "Lou move"! Boom/bust guy to fit our forward needs and he could probably be acquired for very little.Fallen out of favor and sent to the AHL but has the potential to score a lot in the NHL if given the right chance.

Edited by TheMazz, 04 February 2013 - 11:48 AM.

n2eg.jpg

#38 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

Our D isn't that great but we realized last year with our system that our best D is keeping the play in the offensive zone. How do we do that? Being able to roll 4 scoring lines. Devils had arguably the best forward depth in the easy by the time the playoffs came around. We need more good forwards and the only way we will get them is through a trade.

#39 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:00 PM

The ONLY thing that would help us in a trade with Buffalo is how horrendously bad Tyler Myers has become once Tallinder left the Sabres for us. The two were a solid pair on the blue line and without his mentor, Myers' game has gone completely to hell.

Not saying a trade with them is realistic, but that would be our leverage.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#40 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Our D isn't that great but we realized last year with our system that our best D is keeping the play in the offensive zone. How do we do that? Being able to roll 4 scoring lines. Devils had arguably the best forward depth in the easy by the time the playoffs came around. We need more good forwards and the only way we will get them is through a trade.

So how is weakening the already weak D going to help?

You need a powerful 2-way forward for a hack Dman.... I see that happening

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users