#141 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

It was No. 2 on the SC top 10.

#1 was a mediocre dunk with some okay passing...

#142 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:06 AM

Stop being an ignorant American.

You don't make comments like that to people from the former satellites.

I dunno how that's ignorant. If you were born in the former USSR, you were Russian. If America split today, people from other places would still refer to the whole mass that used to be america as america for at least a decent amt of time 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#143 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:11 AM

I dunno how that's ignorant. If you were born in the former USSR, you were Russian. If America split today, people from other places would still refer to the whole mass that used to be america as america for at least a decent amt of time

It's extremely ignorant. Try telling a Latvian they were Russian and see how they react. Try telling that to someone in Western Ukraine and see how long you last. How about Georgians, Armenians....etc etc.

Russians (and I'm speaking as one myself) were a bunch of oppressors and very few people took pride in being 'Soviet' and they certainly didn't feel 'Russian.'

Edited by StormJosh, 14 March 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#144 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

No, you'd be (forcibly) a Soviet

#145 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

The difference is that we share a common language and history for the past 300 years. The countries that made up the USSR varied in language as drastically as going from Portuguese to Italian (some of them go even further and aren't even from the Slavic language group). Their histories and cultures vary tremendously. The union itself only lasted about 60 years and some of those countries only spent a portion of that time as part of it.

Edited by NewarkDevil5, 14 March 2013 - 11:41 AM.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#146 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

I don't care where he is from with a shot like that ;)

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#147 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

Yeah, I feel like the NHL might be about to get this lesson in general when they learn that Yakupov isn't ethnically Russian (he's a Tatar and a practicing Muslim).  The former Soviet Union is crazily diverse.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#148 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

It was No. 2 on the SC top 10.

But only because - as it happens - the game last night was nationally televised. Had it not been, the play wouldn't have even been on their radar.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#149 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

Of course you don't know how that's ignorant, because you're ignorant. Oppression, genocide, totalitarian regimes...

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#150 leeski

leeski

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:16 PM

Much of the Soviet Union was forcefully brought in against the wishes of the existing ethnic republics. An Estonian doesn't magically become a "Russian" nor even a "Soviet" simply because the Red Army annexed his nation into the USSR. The 13 American colonies and subsequent additional states unified themselves voluntarily to create a new nation and a new people. The same can not be said for the USSR.

#151 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

It's extremely ignorant. Try telling a Latvian they were Russian and see how they react. Try telling that to someone in Western Ukraine and see how long you last. How about Georgians, Armenians....etc etc.

Russians (and I'm speaking as one myself) were a bunch of oppressors and very few people took pride in being 'Soviet' and they certainly didn't feel 'Russian.'

how about the soviet 5 then. Because they were soviets even if they didn't like it. 

edit: and btdubzzz I know all about the history, I'm not a dope. I just thought it'd be a good nickname for them since it's the same area and they were part of the same "country" whether or not they liked it

edit 2: they were all born in the soviet union I checked on Loktionov. So Soviet 5 would be accurate 

Edited by DH26, 14 March 2013 - 12:24 PM.

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#152 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

The difference is that we share a common language and history for the past 300 years. The countries that made up the USSR varied in language as drastically as going from Portuguese to Italian (some of them go even further and aren't even from the Slavic language group). Their histories and cultures vary tremendously. The union itself only lasted about 60 years and some of those countries only spent a portion of that time as part of it.

It gets complicated when you consider that a lot of ethnic Russians relocated to the republics all over the USSR and stayed there after the collapse.  So you have people that will be Uzbeki on their passports, but are ethnically Russian in that they have Slavic names and speak Russian.  Stalin was Georgian, but he's more revered in Russia than he is in Georgia it appears.

Tri brought up the example of Yakupov.  He speaks Russian and has a slavic last name.  I wonder if his parents/grandparents were originally from Russia, proper.  BTW, I have no idea if that's the case.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#153 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

How about the Eastern Front

#154 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

believe me...nobody will mistake a georgian or specifically armenian for being a russian. Georgians especially are closer to what borat was trying to depict in his movies.They're sneaky, hucksters...tricksters.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#155 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

believe me...nobody will mistake a georgian or specifically armenian for being a russian. Georgians especially are closer to what borat was trying to depict in his movies.They're sneaky, hucksters...tricksters.

:ninja:

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#156 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

Don't know if someone linked a vid,

It's so pretty to me for some reason, I've watched it like 100x

#157 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

This kid has played extremely well since coming over.  He has to be relieved just to be getting a chance to play in the NHL and show what he can do.  So far, it looks like a unbelievable trade for the Devils, and he really has softened the blow of Tedenby and Josefson struggling to be what the team thought they would be at this point.

Posted Image

#158 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

10076069-large.jpg

#159 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,780 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

believe me...nobody will mistake a georgian or specifically armenian for being a russian. Georgians especially are closer to what borat was trying to depict in his movies. They're sneaky, hucksters...tricksters.

vanderbeek.jpg

believe me...nobody will mistake a georgian or specifically armenian for being a russian. Georgians especially are closer to what borat was trying to depict in his movies.They're sneaky, hucksters...tricksters.

Bah, well done DevsMan. You beat me to the punch lol.

Edited by MadDog2020, 14 March 2013 - 03:17 PM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#160 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

My god people...

I apologize for starting a sh!t storm about nationalities and what not lol all I meant was Loktionov has a bunch of guys who he can speak Russian with..that is all, obviously Zubs is Lithuanian and Poni is Ukrainian.

believe-zubrus.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users