93 replies to this topic

#21 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

In other words, his name ends with the wrong kind of letters.

I'm more convinced than ever that Brent Sutter had no idea how to use Dainius Zubrus, and that's part of why he has such a bad reputation among Devils fans.  The play moves in the right direction when he's on the ice.  He might not be here after this season, but he put in 6 strong years, and he'll go out the way he should've come in - being used in all situations, making the right play most of the time. Sure he won't score many goals, and maybe he is finally slowing down, but Conte is right - you need a guy like this on your team, and the Devils were lucky to have one for so many years.

I don't think his reputation is bad among Devils fans...I think Devils fans like him now more than ever.  Like I said, I think a lot of Devils fans saw the two good offensive seasons that came before he signed with NJ, saw Gomez leaving, and felt (some expected) that Zubrus would fill that void, more than what was realistic.  And the Devils also gave him chances on scoring lines earlier, so they also thought (more like hoped) he could provide more offense than he ultimately did as a Devil.  But as some of the posts here show, fans have grown to accept what Zubrus really is, and appreciate what he brings.  It's like I said, I can't really criticize what the Devils got out of Zubrus, for what he was signed for...never once in his six years was his contract a bad one, and that's extremely rare for a contract of that term.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#22 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Well this thread just became topical with Zuby out tonight with an upper body injury Per TG http://blogs.northje...r-body_injury/. Matteau practicing on the top line.
"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#23 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Well this thread just became topical with Zuby out tonight with an upper body injury Per TG http://blogs.northje...r-body_injury/. Matteau practicing on the top line.

god dammit. i hope nothing more than missing one game

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#24 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

He makes great coffee...next question please.

and take a FAB photo - mostly thanks to his equipment - PHOTO equipment just because I can feel sammy of old lifting an eyebrow merely with my use of the word "equipment" in reference to a Devil player

I'm here for the party

#25 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

I don't think his reputation is bad among Devils fans...I think Devils fans like him now more than ever.  Like I said, I think a lot of Devils fans saw the two good offensive seasons that came before he signed with NJ, saw Gomez leaving, and felt (some expected) that Zubrus would fill that void, more than what was realistic.  And the Devils also gave him chances on scoring lines earlier, so they also thought (more like hoped) he could provide more offense than he ultimately did as a Devil.  But as some of the posts here show, fans have grown to accept what Zubrus really is, and appreciate what he brings.  It's like I said, I can't really criticize what the Devils got out of Zubrus, for what he was signed for...never once in his six years was his contract a bad one, and that's extremely rare for a contract of that term.   

QFT

I'm a Zubrus fan though.  I'm a fan of anyone with a Cyrano nose.

I'm here for the party

#26 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

He's a playoff beast

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#27 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Zubs was hit into an open door in the first period against the Rags, thats probably where the injury happened.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#28 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Zubs was hit into an open door in the first period against the Rags, thats probably where the injury happened.

yup, good call. we usually pull that on the other team, this time it backfired

#29 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

Zubrus was not ultra well liked if you look back a few years ago, people said, eh, he's alright, but it'd be better if he was getting $2.5M instead. That was true to an extent then, but as time went on, the cap went up, his salary looked more and more like a deal. Zubrus is definitely the beast of the boards, that and pretty much NO ONE takes the puck from him when he's moving in with it, he's just such a big guy it's so hard to get him off balance and force him to lose the puck. Think about if you've ever seen him ridden off into corner to then fall and lose the puck...now realize it's never happened, lol.

Zubrus was not ultra well liked if you look back a few years ago, people said, eh, he's alright, but it'd be better if he was getting $2.5M instead. That was true to an extent then, but as time went on, the cap went up, his salary looked more and more like a deal. Zubrus is definitely the beast of the boards, that and pretty much NO ONE takes the puck from him when he's moving in with it, he's just such a big guy it's so hard to get him off balance and force him to lose the puck. Think about if you've ever seen him ridden off into corner to then fall and lose the puck...now realize it's never happened, lol.

#30 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

In other words, his name ends with the wrong kind of letters.

I'm more convinced than ever that Brent Sutter had no idea how to use Dainius Zubrus, and that's part of why he has such a bad reputation among Devils fans.  The play moves in the right direction when he's on the ice.  He might not be here after this season, but he put in 6 strong years, and he'll go out the way he should've come in - being used in all situations, making the right play most of the time. Sure he won't score many goals, and maybe he is finally slowing down, but Conte is right - you need a guy like this on your team, and the Devils were lucky to have one for so many years.

So if we need a guy like this on our team, and (maybe) this is his last season with us, what happens next? Matteau becomes the new Zubrus?

Edited by iamtheprodigy, 07 February 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#31 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

So if we need a guy like this on our team, and (maybe) this is his last season, what happens next? Matteau becomes the new Zubrus?

I think Zubrus can make it a 2-3 more years and yes, I think Matteau is their replacement for him. Just look at what was said about him right after we drafted him.

#32 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,195 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

I think Zubrus can make it a 2-3 more years and yes, I think Matteau is their replacement for him. Just look at what was said about him right after we drafted him.

Agreed. I really hope the Devils can hold onto Zubrus a few more years and he can mentor Matteau into becoming that type of player.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#33 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

He's 50-50 for Saturday  :rolleyes:

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#34 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

you texted him didn't you?  :P

(as moderator, feel free to delete this - I love dishing it out though :evil: )

Edited by Pepperkorn, 07 February 2013 - 02:56 PM.

I'm here for the party

#35 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

He is a waste of ice space. Regular season and playoffs. He has had one maybe two good playoffs games.

#36 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Zubrus has been awesome so far this year. When him clarky and elias are on a line no one runs the cycle better than them. you dont have to score alot to contribute to the team greatly. hes a great forechecker and very valuable to this team

#37 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,811 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

you texted him didn't you?  :P

(as moderator, feel free to delete this - I love dishing it out though :evil: )

I did.. you figured it out

#38 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

I always liked Zubrus. His versatility was not appreciated 4-5 years ago when he was an njdevs.com whipping boy.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 08 February 2013 - 12:19 AM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#39 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

He is a waste of ice space. Regular season and playoffs. He has had one maybe two good playoffs games.

I agree. #FreeJanssen /s

#40 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:21 AM

I love this man :hail:

/thread

believe-zubrus.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic