1814 replies to this topic

#201 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,889 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

And it all started with Murphy refusing to take the walk Ottavino was handing him with the bases loaded.

Yes I remember that. Fouled off a pitch at his eyes and swung and missed at a ball at his feet. I guess he thought 8 was enough

The 1993 uniforms are fitting for this abomination

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#202 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,889 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:55 PM

We really needed Wright to come through in the 10th there. He does't get the job done in most of these situations compared to the Utleys and Jeters of the world

Still. April game. Can't get too nuts.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#203 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:05 AM

Oh Wright. What a time to miss a ball. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#204 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,889 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:10 AM

didnt see the play...but i mean his range is pretty bad. Anything 2 feet to his left or right is going to get passed him. Plus even when he comes up with it the best he can do is these lollypop throws to 1st with his weak arm

#205 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:11 AM

And that's the game. Unbelievable loss.

Can't wait for tomorrow to be postponed and have ANOTHER doubleheader Thursday. Hey, maybe we'll actually win a game then. :rolleyes:
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#206 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,889 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:15 AM

Only the mets lose games like this. I mean two almost tee ball errors in an inning. This kind of unclutch gag job baseball started in the Omar era and we havent been able to shake it yet.

#207 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,232 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:28 AM

Only the mets lose games like this. I mean two almost tee ball errors in an inning. This kind of unclutch gag job baseball started in the Omar era and we havent been able to shake it yet.

I wouldn't go too crazy about unclutch yet...this is a team in transition.  If Tejada doesn't get it straightened out, he won't be here for too long.  Wright is what he is in the field...he's going to be at third base for a long time, so gotta deal with it.  I'm starting to worry a little about Gee, but Colorado is a goofy place, which is why I'm also not going to make too big a deal about what happens there.

Wright may not be a guy I have much confidence in with the game on the line, but he's quietly put up nice numbers through 13 games...important, in that if the Mets were off to, say, a 4-9 start and he wasn't hitting, he'd be hearing it.  His year hasn't FELT as good as his stats suggest, but at least when Met fans discuss him, the discussion will end with, "Look at the numbers...overall Wright's been pretty good!"

Could someone remind Ike that April and May count too?  This is getting ridiculous. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#208 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,009 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

We never do well against the damn Rockies anyway.  Either there or here, they always seem to be a house of horrors team for us.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#209 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,889 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

Yea a lot of late inning walk off losses to them. I remember a couple of years ago at citi we lost like 4 straight to them, bullpen pretty much blowing each. And David Wright missed a game winning grand slam  in one of the games because he hit it up against the wall right in the deep well of the idiotic mo's zone. That was the death knell for that stupid idea

What's happening with Tejada is strictly mental...either laziness or some sort of Chuck Knoblauch thing...well it hasn't developed into that yet but he's not throwing high and wide on very tough plays. Once this seeps in psychologically it's tough to get rid of (mackey sasser)

#210 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

Regarding Tejada: it's been an ugly 2-week stretch, but it's still 2 weeks, and for his career, he's handled the position solidly enough (about a league average defensive SS per UZR and DRS). He's been incredibly frustrating in the field this year, but I'm not terribly worried just yet. Also, he's swinging a lot less at pitches out of the strike zone this year and making more contact:

Career O-Swing%: 25.6
2013 O-Swing%: 20.7

Career Contact%: 85.7
2013 Contact%: 91.8

It's only 52 PA, but plate approach stats like that do stabilize pretty quickly. IF Tejada can keep up what he's doing at the plate (which has led to more walks and less strikeouts), he might be able to provide a decent amount of offense (league average or so) which would put less pressure on his defense. I'm not saying I would bet on any of this by any means, but it's at least a silver lining in what's been a tough couple of weeks for Ruben.

---

Regarding Gee: his velocity was back to where it was in his first start, where he failed to even hit 90 mph (again, he averaged just under 91 mph last season). I can give Gee a pass given the frigid conditions, but I'm still concerned.

---

One last thing: unfortunately, we'll be getting another dose of Laffey on Saturday, which is why TC pulled him so early last night. Amazed that nobody in the organization can see how bad this guy is.

Edited by nmigliore, 17 April 2013 - 10:08 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#211 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,009 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

Seeing a lefty wearing 47 still makes me do a double take lol
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#212 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

Familia coming up, Burke going down. Fresh arm after the heavy bullpen use yesterday, plus another double header tomorrow looking likely.

Edit: today has been postponed. One game definite for tomorrow, TBD if they play 2. Boy I hope they skip the 2nd game... would be great for the players' sake and travel but also would get Laffey out of the rotation for the weekend. Instead it would be: Niese tomorrow, Harvey-Hefner-Gee vs Nats. 

Edited by nmigliore, 17 April 2013 - 04:44 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#213 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

Alright great, tomorrow is officially just a single game. Mets confirmed the rotation will be Niese tomorrow, and then Harvey-Hefner-Gee for the weekend series vs the Nats. So the team gets out of Denver early and Laffey gets booted from the rotation, good.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#214 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,009 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

Strasberg-Harvey on a 75 degree night Friday? I might just go to my second game in April. Last year I didn't go until June lol (mainly waiting for the Devils run to end).

#215 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,889 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

Hefner and Gee against the Nats. Ick...they'll be playing pinball all over citi.

Hopefully Niese can be our stopper today. Dont want Tuesdays brutal loss to linger much longer

#216 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

AdamRubinESPN Travis d'Arnaud bruise of left foot. Non-displaced fracture of first metatarsal. In walking boot.

Agh. Kind of a freak injury but it's not going to help his "he can't stay healthy" rep.

Edit: sounds like he'll be about awhile,maybe not returning until the 2nd half. Man, this stinks.

Edited by nmigliore, 18 April 2013 - 01:05 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#217 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,889 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

That does stink

But he wouldn't have been here until the 2nd half of the season anyway right?

#218 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

LOL a pop fly to LF from Rutledge carries out for a homerun. :rolleyes: Man I hate this ballpark.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#219 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,889 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

I hate all things Rockies...this entire series should've been scrapped or moved to another location...but oh well

#220 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Can't get on TC for this bullpen meltdown; pulled Edgin at the right time, went to the most dependable non-Parnell arm, just didn't work. Ah well.

Ii'm glad the team is finally coming back home but let's be honest, the Mets had one of the weakest schedules to start the year and they had to do better than 7-7. It's still very, very early but don't be surprised if this is where things start to head south.

Edited by nmigliore, 18 April 2013 - 04:41 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users