1814 replies to this topic

#221 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,667 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

Can't get on TC for this bullpen meltdown; pulled Edgin at the right time, went to the most dependable non-Parnell arm, just didn't work. Ah well.

Ii'm glad the team is finally coming back home but let's be honest, the Mets had one of the weakest schedules to start the year and they had to do better than 7-7. It's still very, very early but don't be surprised if this is where things start to head south.

They weren't going to do much better...I had them at 8-6 at best.  Really I had them at 8-8 without the cancellations with a 2-1 in Minnesota and a 1-3 in Colorado.

If they don't win the Harvey-Strausberg showdown tomorrow it could be another very ugly weekend against the Nats.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#222 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,361 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Well, they'll be better once Marcum comes back, and Frank Francisco will solidify the pen somewhat, even if he isn't all that great, all we need is the 2008-2011 Francisco. So I think the Mets will get better and likely stay at around .500 until late June or so.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#223 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:19 AM

We all know this team is about a 70-win club...maybe a few more with some breaks.  They're really aren't too many "should win" games on their schedule.  If I'm a Met opponent, the only starting pitcher I'm afraid of is Harvey.  Niese is clearly a solid major-leaguer who can be a good #3, but not one to strike fear into opponents.  Beyond them, as we know, it gets ugly fast, at least for the foreseeable future, and if Gee is in for a bad year (it's one thing if Hefner and Laffey blow, but Gee is supposed to be part of the program).  So for what will soon be five turns in the rotation, we have one guy we feel confident in, another we feel pretty good about, and very little confidence in the other three.  When Harvey inevitably begins to lose some starts, either due to decrease in performance or lack of run support, it will get ugly in a hurry.

And the John Buck show is clearly coming to an end, but it was fun while it lasted.  That mega-start pretty much ensures that he should have good enough numbers by the trading deadline, that a contender looking for a catcher (to possibly replace an injured one) might come calling.  If he's around .250 with 10+ HR and 40+ RBI in mid-July, he could fetch a mid-tier prospect...at any rate, with D'Arnaud getting hurt, Buck will be getting lots of ABs. 

Some positives:

14 RBI for Wright through 14 GP, only 10 K on the season (with 11 BB).  Other numbers are good too.  It's only 14 games, but at least he avoided an Ike Davis-type start...important when one signs a big contract, like he did.

1.020 OB+SLG for Murphy so far.  One thing I have to give him credit for...he seems determined to get the absolute most out of what seems like slightly above-average talent.  If he learns to take just a few more walks in time, he has a chance to be a pretty good everyday player, even on a good team if he's surrounded by the right talent.  This year could go a long way towards establishing whether he's a good-team or bad-team player.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#224 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,980 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

I guess what I meant was if we they are going to be one of those surprise teams this year (incredibly unlikely, I know, but we've been through this a million times on not giving up on 2013), they should've done a little better than .500 with teams like San Diego, Miami, Minnesota, and Colorado on the slate. Three of those teams won less than 70 games last year and even the Phillies were very mediocre. Really, they didn't do that badly, they were just 7-4 days ago, but they totally fvcked up the Colorado series.

I really shouldn't be making a big deal of this, the Colorado series just pissed me off.

Edited by nmigliore, 19 April 2013 - 08:57 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#225 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,980 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

Just bought tickets for tonight, couldn't resist. :lol: I'll be in the LF Landing (2nd deck). Mets.com is offering a Power Pack with this game, so you can get field level box seats for $39 each and it comes with a free soda, fries, and a choice of hotdog, burger, or pizza. I was going to get that but all they had was a section in RF near the foul pole, which isn't close to where I park. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#226 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,667 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

How is it driving to games anyway? I've never wanted to bother cause it seems like such a pain in the butt getting in and out (I tried driving once way back before GPS and got lost) Then again making my train connection postgame is no day at the beach lol.

btw I'm going too...section 521. Got a $19 ticket on StubHub. Didn't need the free food of the power pack cause I usually have time to eat before going.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 19 April 2013 - 10:11 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#227 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,980 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

How is it driving to games anyway? I've never wanted to bother cause it seems like such a pain in the butt getting in and out (I tried driving once way back before GPS and got lost) Then again making my train connection postgame is no day at the beach lol.

btw I'm going too...section 521. Got a $19 ticket on StubHub.

It's fine, I don't think I've ever used any other form of transportation to get to Shea/Citi. I live in Bergen County and the Bridge is like 10 minutes away, so it's not a big hassle for me. Drive is generally a breeze for day games, more traffic on the way at night of course. I usually bail an inning early to beat the crowd so I've never had any issues getting out. Shea Stadium was always more difficult getting out of compared to Citi.

Section 337 for me.

Edited by nmigliore, 19 April 2013 - 10:18 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#228 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,667 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

I live at least an hour away (Morris county) so I'll probably stick with the train tonight. I shudder at the thought of traffic on a nice Friday night lol

#229 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,667 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

Really nice confluence of events with Harvey getting out of a bases loaded no out jam in the seventh then the flash on the Jumbotron announcing they caught another suspect in the bombing...needless to say it was a nice sustained roar for a few minutes.

#230 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,980 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:17 PM

Just got back. First and foremost - awesome to meet you Hasan! Glad to finally meet someone after talking to you guys on a near-everyday basis on this board for ~7 years.

The crowd was pretty awesome tonight. Some "Har-vey!" chants near my section and then later on a much more resounding, "Harvey's better!" chant.

Ike and Duda really went off tonight; hopefully this gets Ike going.

Not sure what I can say about Harvey, the dude is a monster. The bases loaded jam in the 7th was just some beautiful pitching with the Suzuki strikeout, Bernadina popout, and then Span groundout. He was consistently 95+ on the Citi Field gun, even when going over 100 pitches.

Edit: Per PFX, Harvey AVERAGED just over 97 mph on his four-seam fastball tonight (55 of them). That's just ridiculous, holy sh!t.

Very glad I went to this game, it really was like a special event, and again, great to meet you Hasan! Doubt my luck will last but we're 2-0 when attending this year. :P

Edited by nmigliore, 19 April 2013 - 09:39 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#231 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,667 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

Yep, was glad to meet you too nmig...about time at least a couple of us met at a game heh. The meetup was part of the reason that was literally the most fun I've ever had at Citi, windy/cold weather and all. For a Mets/Devils fan, hearing 'Harvey's Better!' was so freaking priceless.

And you know it's your night when Valdespin is making diving catches in CF and Ike hits two bombs.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 19 April 2013 - 10:20 PM.

#232 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,980 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

Awful start for Wheeler tonight: 6 walks and 4 ER in 4.1 IP. Still has whiffed 21 with only 1 homerun allowed on the year, but the control is a major problem right now.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#233 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:45 AM

Pretty cool that you guys met, nmig and NJDevs...would love to do the same one of these days for sure...preferably at a Harvey start of course!

Harvey's starts:  4-0, 0.93 ERA, 32 K, 0.66 WHIP

Everyone else:  2-6, 5.68 ERA, 26 K, 1.68 WHIP

The "Everyone else" line gets even uglier if you take Niese's starts out (2-1, 3.80 ERA, 13 K, 1.48 WHIP). 

What sucks about this is there's a minimal chance that the Mets can take all of the euphoric good feelings built up from one of Harvey's starts and turn into much more than one fun night.  At least Niese and Harvey start back-to-back, which gives the Mets a shot at building momentum...Minnesota and Colorado clearly weren't kind to Niese, with the crappy weather and all, but I expect him to improve a bit over what he's shown in 2013 to date.  I just hope Gee can do the same...it's one thing to have to overcome two guys who give you little chance to win...three has a way of disheartening a team that clearly wants to start silencing their critics.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#234 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

Awful start for Wheeler tonight: 6 walks and 4 ER in 4.1 IP. Still has whiffed 21 with only 1 homerun allowed on the year, but the control is a major problem right now.

He's off to a pretty bad start overall:  4.91 ERA, 18.1 IP (in four starts), 20 H, 12 BB, 21 K.  High pitch counts and lots o' base runners.  Suffice it to say he's not coming up anytime soon.   

By comparison, Collin McHugh has a 0.50 ERA through 3 starts (18 IP, 15 H, 4 BB, 15 K).  Kind of too bad it doesn't mean much...he's got AAAA-pitcher written all over him...a guy capable of some nice minor-league stretches (made to look better by the nice K totals down there), but simply not capable of sustained major-league success.   

#30 FOREVER!

#235 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,667 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

Pretty cool that you guys met, nmig and NJDevs...would love to do the same one of these days for sure...preferably at a Harvey start of course!

Harvey's starts:  4-0, 0.93 ERA, 32 K, 0.66 WHIP

Everyone else:  2-6, 5.68 ERA, 26 K, 1.68 WHIP

The "Everyone else" line gets even uglier if you take Niese's starts out (2-1, 3.80 ERA, 13 K, 1.48 WHIP). 

What sucks about this is there's a minimal chance that the Mets can take all of the euphoric good feelings built up from one of Harvey's starts and turn into much more than one fun night.  At least Niese and Harvey start back-to-back, which gives the Mets a shot at building momentum...Minnesota and Colorado clearly weren't kind to Niese, with the crappy weather and all, but I expect him to improve a bit over what he's shown in 2013 to date.  I just hope Gee can do the same...it's one thing to have to overcome two guys who give you little chance to win...three has a way of disheartening a team that clearly wants to start silencing their critics.

lol it's not an accident I only went to Niese-Harvey starts so far, although the Niese start I also didn't mind getting the giveaway calendar either.  

I did want to at least see Harvey once this year come hell or high water.  Glad we at least have 'something' to hang our hat on now with him as far as the present/future goes since Wheeler's a bit wild for the bigs at this point and TDA is hurt (surprise, surprise).

#236 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,980 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

I actually got lucky with the Niese start since I bought tickets for that game back in December when they had an early single game ticket sale for April and May. I usually plan games well in advanced so yesterday was a bit different with buying last minute tickets but the matchup was too irresistible. Between Harvey and the atmosphere that was definitely one of my favorite games I've attended at Citi Field.

CR: Yeah, Gee is the one to be concerned about of that 3-5 group. The results have been ugly but I can live with that over 3 starts due to small sample size - it's the very down velocity that is the big red flag.

Edited by nmigliore, 20 April 2013 - 09:38 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#237 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,361 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

What an enormous pile of garbage Hefner is

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#238 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,361 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

We need to drill Laroche, because all he does is kill the Mets. What a piece of sh!t Laffey is. 2 out nobody on. Walk to Werth, double to Harper. Then on a 2 strike pitch HR by Laroche. just DFA this other piece of human garbage

#239 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,980 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

Harper is a monster.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#240 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,980 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

Also: Laffey needs to go, ASAP. This is already turning into a Miguel Batista-like obsession.

If it were up to me, Laffey would be cut, Hefner to AAA, McHugh taking Hefner's spot. Mets won't need a 5th starter until next Saturday, which is when Marcum could conceivably be ready if his next simulated game goes well.

On the positive side, at least Duda keeps getting on base. I still don't think he's going to hit or defend well enough to be an acceptable regular in the outfield, but hey, if things keep going sour for Ike, at least he represents a legit alternative at 1B (that's a huge IF of course, I'm in no way saying I think Ike will keep looking so bad at the plate).

Edited by nmigliore, 20 April 2013 - 06:12 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users