1814 replies to this topic

#661 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Loving Murphy right now. He's looked much better defensively this year by both the eye-test and defensive metrics and he's been fantastic at the plate (season wRC+ up to 125 after that hit). He'll regress, but he's on pace to have a pretty nice year.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#662 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

Now Tejada out of nowhere sliding into Baxters territory...

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#663 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

Tejada got hurt on that slide, leaving the game. I bet he lands on the DL now; that would solve that issue.

Edited by nmigliore, 29 May 2013 - 09:09 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#664 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:12 PM

my guess would just a bruise or a skinned knee.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#665 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

Quintanilla was pulled from Las Vegas' game. This pretty much guarantees Tejada is headed to the DL and Quintanilla will be replacing him. The only question now is who gets dumped from the 40-man.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#666 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

Quintanilla was pulled from Las Vegas' game. This pretty much guarantees Tejada is headed to the DL and Quintanilla will be replacing him. The only question now is who gets dumped from the 40-man.

gotta be Carson...though suppose it could be McHugh

#667 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,724 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

Believe it or not, Ike is somehow 5-for-20 in his last 6 GP (.250 BA), with 4 RBI.  He's still looked pretty bad (1 BB, 11 K) in that time, and I still think Sandy has loused this up to the nth degree...the precedent set is that you can bascially do next to nothing but still get chance after chance after chance and still see your name in the lineup (same with Tejada).  And I don't necessarily think Ike has snapped out of this thing yet...the brutal ABs and strikeouts bear that out.

Here's Hef's numbers in his 10 starts (throwing out the relief appearance):

56 IP, 52 H, 28 ER, 20 BB, 8 HR, 41 K, .255 BA, 4.50 ERA, 6 QS  

If you want to call him "below average", fine, and I'll be the first to admit I expected next to nothing from him this season.  But if he can keep churning out 6 IP/3 ER, keep my team in the game-type outings, he can find a spot in the bottom of this rotation or someone else's.  He's been respectable, and reasonably consistent. 

All you gotta do is see what a trainwreck Gee's been in comparison, to appreciate Hef's decent consistency.  A whopping ONE QS in 10 starts.  A whopping 69 hits allowed in 49.2 IP.  Interesting number courtesy of ESPN:  Hitters are batting .225 during Gee's first trip through the order, and .392 thereafter.  Sounds like he might be better off in the 'pen...at any rate, it's hard to think he won't be the guy who loses his spot when Wheeler is eventually called up.  

Zack Wheeler's last two outings since his clavicle injury have been pretty meh:  9 IP, 9 H, 8 R, 6 ER, 5 BB, 6 K.  He's also allowed 4 HRs.  I get the feeling he'd really have to tank not to get called up though, and as we know, the PCL is not kind to pitchers' numbers.  I'm not expecting him to storm into the majors the way Harvey did (I don't even think Harvey himself was expecting that...or ANYONE else for that matter)...I think Zack will probably be pretty "meh" at best this season (he turns 23 today...still very young, and Harvey-type instant-success stories are not the norm), but at least it looks like he should get his feet plenty wet before the season's out. 

Stammerin' Sandy is going to cap him at 180-185 innings this season...he's got 52.1 IP in AAA (10 starts).  I'm thinking he probably won't even reach that...if he gets 70-80 IP in the majors this season (I get the feeling they'll be "tough" innings...lots of baserunners), and doesn't get sent down, he'll have done plenty, as far as I'm concerned. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#668 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

As expected, Tejada to the DL, Quintanilla up. Frank Francisco was moved to the 60-day DL, so that cleared a 40-man spot for Little Omar.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#669 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

Niese has shoulder tendinitis, will miss at least one start. McHugh will take his place.

Hopefully it's nothing serious but it's hard not to be worried when "pitcher" and "shoulder" are in the same sentence.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#670 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,724 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Quintanilla can't play much worse than Tejada. 

Yeah, never like hearing that a pitcher is having shoulder issues of any kind.  He had been terrific in his last three starts too. 

I think it's good to see McHugh get a start.  He's obviously on the outside looking in (especially with Hefner at least showing he can compete in the majors, for the moment), but he may get a chance, IF Gee continues to flat-out suck, AND Wheeler struggles enough that he doesn't get his expected call-up.  Marcum getting hurt would open up a door for him as well.

Not implying that such a scenario is ideal...admittedly I'm close to giving up on Gee, but Marcum has shown he can be an effective major-leaguer when healthy, and of course we ALL want to see Zack pitching up here sooner than later.  But with the way Gee has pitched, I think McHugh deserves a shot, and Gee a demotion to try to figure himself out.   Hard to believe Gee was once 7-0 with a 2.86 ERA back on June 15, 2011.  And he finished strong last season too, before he got hurt (3.11 ERA in his last 10 starts).  It's probably those stretches that are earning Gee these starts to try to snap out of it...but he simply doesn't look like the same guy. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#671 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

You guys try to tailgate recently? Are these new rules? No alcohol in cans or bottles or you get a fine... They made us put it in cups. I went last week with a few buddies (Niese vs Cinci) and they were giving us a hard time. I just turned 21 but have tailgated at plenty of venues and nobody has ever given us a single issue. They do everything possible to piss off their fans. Some great neighbors hooked us up with a few cups but that is such a crazy rule

#672 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,724 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

You guys try to tailgate recently? Are these new rules? No alcohol in cans or bottles or you get a fine... They made us put it in cups. I went last week with a few buddies (Niese vs Cinci) and they were giving us a hard time. I just turned 21 but have tailgated at plenty of venues and nobody has ever given us a single issue. They do everything possible to piss off their fans. Some great neighbors hooked us up with a few cups but that is such a crazy rule

I think the cup rule has been in place for a while.  I've been bringing cups for years.

I know nmig hates him, but Byrd has at least been passable, compared to most of the outfield trash.  Ed Coleman was on the WFAN doing his Met update, and mentioned that Byrd is pretty well-liked in the clubhouse and has been great with the young guys, for what that's worth. 

#30 FOREVER!

#673 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

Gee pitched an absolute GEM. Unbelievable outing. TC pulling him in the 8th despite him dominating AND being under 90 pitches; I hate this move. It would be one thing if he allowed a baserunner or two but he's whiffed the last 5 batters. Come on.

Edited by nmigliore, 30 May 2013 - 08:38 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#674 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

Nice job by Rice, he's been just incredible vs lefties this year. Am I sort of crazy to want him to face Cano to start the 9th?

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#675 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Get on the Parnell train while it lasts boys. What a FILTHY slider to whiff Hafner.  B )

Edited by nmigliore, 30 May 2013 - 08:57 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#676 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,689 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

Did Dillon Gee take PED's before tonight or is the Yankee lineup just that bad? :blink:

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#677 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:05 PM

Good job Mets. :koolaid:

#678 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,724 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:22 AM

At least the season has a little juice now...for the next week at least, it won't just be about Harvey's next start or when Wheeler's getting a call-up...or WTF is wrong with Ike Davis, lol

Funny how some good pitching can cover up a lot of ills though...this team is now down to a .228 batting average.  And the runs aren't coming any easier...20 runs scored in their last five games, 9 of which came in one game. 

Scary thought:  with a win tonight, the Mets can finish the month of May just one game under .500 for the month (they'd finish 13-14 for May).  Kind of remarkable for a team that was 7-14 for the month and 12 games under .500 for the season back on May 25.  Oh the joy of a lil' winning streak...

6 games against the Marlins and 3 against the Nats.  Nats have been about as putrid as the Mets, as far as scoring runs goes, and the Marlins...yikes.  The Mets are 5-4 against those teams to date, and that's what I'm hoping for again over these next 9 games.  Five-game winning streaks aside, the Mets still aren't a very good team and still have a lot of issues, and they shouldn't really be expected to beat up on anybody...even the Marlins.  But if they DO go 5-4, that gives them a record of 27-33...not great by any stretch, but not pathetic either, and within sight of respectability. 

8-1 would get them to .500, at 30-30, but that seems like the craziest of pipe dreams...I can't see the Mets ever winning 13 out of 14 at any point this season.  I'll take 5-4 pretty happily. 

Great game for Gee, would love to see more of that, but I remember Chris Capuano going crazy one game for the Mets (when he threw that 2-hitter against the Braves and struck out 13, with no walks), and others pitching terrific games seemingly out of nowhere...then promptly sinking back into mediocrity.  Not going to get my hopes up with Gee just yet.

Parnell has now given up 15 hits in his last 33.1 innings.  He's bounced back nicely from his first tough outing (back on May 22) too...4 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 5 K, and 3 saves in his last four appearances.  These 33.1 innings remain a small sample compared to the inconsistency and blow-ups that came before them, but there's clearly reasons for optimism.  He's not exactly closing for a team in thick of a race, but he IS closing effectively (seven straight chances saved), and that's what we were hoping for this season from Parnell...to see if he could truly succeed as a closer.  He's taken some very positive first steps.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 31 May 2013 - 06:22 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#679 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

Mets playing down to the Marlins, yet again. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#680 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

Well I suppose things have to even out. The marlins had some garbage dunkers in the 8th there, while the Mets were having stupid AB's all night. They were due for a win

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users