1814 replies to this topic

#701 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

Captain K is back.  2 more for David today.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#702 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,312 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

I hate the Marlins stadium. Everything they hit splits our fielders, everything we hit is right at them

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#703 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,312 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

Captain K is back.  2 more for David today.

and he looked horrible on both.

Yes Wright is a 2nd tier guy, he'll never be a true game wrecker like Miguel Cabrera or Mike Stanton. But I feel bad for him not getting the support from this organization. I'm not mad at him anymore. He is who he is and we're lucky to have him.

If he had another hitter of his ilk batting next to him in the lineup we wouldn't even notice most of these 1-15 type slumps (which ever batter goes through) because the other guy may pick him up.

Edited by '7', 02 June 2013 - 01:23 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#704 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,951 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Ike homers and once again buys himself another week of at bats.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#705 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,951 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

Of course Juan Pierre and Ed Lucas are 6 for 6 in reaching base today vs Harvey. Of course.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#706 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,312 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

I've always liked Pierre though. He would've been a good signing for us the past two offseasons.

#707 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:09 PM

Ike homers and once again buys himself another week of at bats.

He's now 7-for-29 (including today's for 2-for-3) in his last 9 GP, with one HR and seven RBI.  12 K and 1 BB in that time.  This is what passes for scalding hot if you're Ike Davis.  And yeah, he's getting at least another week of ABs off this "hot streak". 

Kinda funny Harvey could actually get a win today. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#708 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

and he looked horrible on both.

Yes Wright is a 2nd tier guy, he'll never be a true game wrecker like Miguel Cabrera or Mike Stanton. But I feel bad for him not getting the support from this organization. I'm not mad at him anymore. He is who he is and we're lucky to have him.

If he had another hitter of his ilk batting next to him in the lineup we wouldn't even notice most of these 1-15 type slumps (which ever batter goes through) because the other guy may pick him up.

He's 8 for his last 48 since May 20 (including today so far), with 3 BB, 12 K, 1 HR and 1 triple over than span.  No doubles.  Like I said, I wouldn't be as concerned if Wright wasn't prone to disappearing for long stretches.  This could turn into a 2011-type season in a hurry. 

#30 FOREVER!

#709 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,951 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

Make it 8-for-8 for the Pierre and Lucas duo. You can't make this up.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#710 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,312 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:28 PM

Why did he go to rice AGAIN? Lyon should've started the inning

Suppose that's not Dudas fault as it was a frozen rope

#711 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,951 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

TC should be fired for leaving Rice in vs a RHB after 3 straight walks. Are you kidding me?

You could probably convince me the Mets were trying to throw this game if you believed in such conspiracies.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#712 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,312 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

This is disgraceful and embarrassing to be swept by the Marlins like this. And this inning should get Terry fired

#713 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

In fairness 7, the Mets could still win this one...not like the Marlins are any sure bet to close this game out.

That being said...with a move like that, re: Rice, I'm sorry, as much as I've felt for Collins and the fact that he's saddled with an idiot GM who does nothing to make his job any easier, fire Collins today as far as I'm concerned.  That was so friggin' amateur.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 02 June 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#714 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,951 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

Pierre and Lucas again... Never gets old.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#715 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,951 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

I miss Jose Reyes
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#716 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:19 PM

I miss Jose Reyes

Ask the Blue Jays how that worked out for them.  Too much of an injury risk. 

#30 FOREVER!

#717 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,951 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

Ask the Blue Jays how that worked out for them.  Too much of an injury risk. 

He's still light years better than anything we have. He was perfectly healthy and very good last season (4-win season), not to mention his injury was a fluke accident on a slide; that could've happened to anyone. 

Make no mistake, I didn't want him resigned for what he got paid for at the time, but given the rising cost of wins around baseball, that contract is actually pretty solid, at least enough to accept the injury risk that comes with Reyes. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but it sure wouldn't be bad to still have he and Wright here; 2014 and beyond would look a lot brighter.

Edited by nmigliore, 02 June 2013 - 06:39 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#718 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:05 AM

He's still light years better than anything we have. He was perfectly healthy and very good last season (4-win season), not to mention his injury was a fluke accident on a slide; that could've happened to anyone. 

Make no mistake, I didn't want him resigned for what he got paid for at the time, but given the rising cost of wins around baseball, that contract is actually pretty solid, at least enough to accept the injury risk that comes with Reyes. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but it sure wouldn't be bad to still have he and Wright here; 2014 and beyond would look a lot brighter.

He was very good last season, but just like some guys have the "knack" for coming up big in big spots (the Reyes-Wright Era was much the opposite), others have a knack for getting hurt.  Yeah, Reyes' injury was flukey, but the guy has a way of getting hurt and missing games.  This is the fourth time in five years that he will see a significant number of games lost due to injury.   

I was in favor of Reyes leaving for two reasons:  1) the price of his contract and his penchant for getting injured, and 2) I just felt like the Reyes-Wright thing had run its course.   

That being said, yeah, goes without saying that he's light years ahead of what's currently here, when he's healthy enough to play.  But like I said, I think Reyes and Wright had their shot.  I don't agree that Reyes and Wright being here in 2014 and beyond would've been such a great or sure thing for the Mets. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 03 June 2013 - 06:07 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#719 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

BTW, Zack's numbers at Vegas after his last start (a good one):  58.1 IP, 52 H, 25 ER, 24 BB, 59 K, 4-1 record, 3.86 ERA.  Not overwhelming stuff, but neither were Matt Harvey's AAA numbers, and Wheeler is stuck in the PCL, which makes his numbers a little better that they appear.   

I'm guessing one more or two more starts max in AAA for Zack, even if they're not good (not exactly breaking news there, but I think nothing will stop the Mets from calling him up at this point)...at the very least, now that this team killed whatever minor enthusiasm might have been building after the Subway Sweep, the Mets are going to be desperate to find reasons to get their fans to come out and spend money to watch their on-field product.  Harvey does seem to be putting up more human numbers as of late (last 5 starts:  33.2 IP, 35 H, 13 ER, 7 BB, 31 K, 3.48 ERA), but I'm not worried about him at all...his numbers were off-the-charts good and due for regression, and the K-to-BB ratio remains excellent...but heaven forbid he hits a bit of a first-full-year-in-the-majors wall, and Wheeler struggles during his first call up and needs to be sent back down after four or five starts.  You literally might have damned near no one coming to see this team this summer. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 03 June 2013 - 12:30 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#720 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,312 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

The Reyes ship has sailed, yes it would've been great to still have him here as a sparkplug, productive player...but would he have made the 2012 or 2013 Mets a playoff team? nah not really. Plus he's closing in on 30, so who knows he may start slowing down soon

I'm worried he may end up in Philly or NYY and revive his career there. Both have aging shortstops with one foot out the door.

Edited by '7', 03 June 2013 - 01:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users