1814 replies to this topic

#721 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

For all of the "electrifying" Reyes moments, I remember a lot of boneheaded/maddening/me me me ones too.  I'm with you 7, I think when the time came, it was simply time to let him leave, and for the Mets to start building a new identity...would've been nice if the Mets got something for him, especially if Captain Passive wasn't going to make any effort to sign him (and knew it all along), but oh well.  Can't do anything about that now.

Problem is Wright is still the face of the Mets (which is a mixed bag...he's a good player but is as known for failures in big spots as he is for his better moments...he doesn't really ever seem to rise above the Mets' futility, but seems to become a part of it.), when the Mets desperately need Wright to be relegated to 1A/complementary status behind a true star/leader.  Maybe the new identity gets built around Harvey/Wheeler and, in time, a shut-'em-down-type pitching staff...who knows?  But the new identity is not here YET...and it can't be built around Wright...he is not that kind of player.  Murph is a nice symbol of hard work/grit, but the problem with him is, when he's not hitting, he's almost invisible.  The only way he really finds his way onto the basepaths is to hit his way on. 

And in fairness to Reyes, I wouldn't say his career has stalled...he did play well for Florida last year, and was off to a nice start for the Jays until he got hurt.  But that's the problem...he has a way of going down almost unexpectedly, though with all of the games he's missed in the past five seasons, I guess it shouldn't be that unexpected anymore. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 03 June 2013 - 01:45 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#722 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,033 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

I actually think Reyes had re-made his image for the most part after the way 2006-08 ended, winning the batting crown and actually staying healthy for a full season helped in that regard though.  

Injuries aside, my only problem with him besides the '06-07 issues (not running balls out, overcelebrating at different times) is you couldn't count on him in big games ever.  As such it's kinda hard to give the guy 100 million when he's injury prone and won't help you win big games either.  Even given the fact he's 100 times better than most of what the Mets are throwing out on a nightly basis now.

And yeah he was never going to stay healthy for the duration of the contract or be Reyes for the latter part of it, but you can pretty much say that about any FA that signs a long-term deal.  Wright's no exception.  But sometimes you do have to overpay guys.  

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#723 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

That classic Francesca rant where he went off about how Reyes and Wright never seem to get the big hit sadly had a ring of truth to it.  I'm hardly a big Francesca fan, but just like there's a reason why Derek Jeter is thought of as a guy who steps it up when his team needs him most, there's also a reason why Reyes and Wright are thought of as guys who often don't. 

I don't have a problem with Wright or his deal (in today's game, it's not really THAT crazy), though I probably would've let him go.  I have more of a problem with the knowledge that the Mets will make him and his contract the cornerstone of future teams.  I could've been sold on 2005-08 Wright possibly being that guy, but not 2009-beyond Wright. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#724 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,033 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

Well Wright actually had a good couple of Septembers, and has had big hits off Rivera and others.  He just sort of gets smeared by the ugliness that is the Mets of the last few years.  I always thought it was a bit of a myth about Wright and Beltran not doing it in the clutch.

Reyes on the other hand hit like .200 down the stretch and in the postseason in '06-07-08.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#725 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:25 AM

Wright had terrific Septembers in '06 (.360 BA, .963 OB+SLG), '07 (.352 BA, 1.032 OB+SLG), and '08 (.340, .993 OB+SLG).  At bats like the strikeout against the Cubs stick out, but the fact is he did do all that could realistically be expected from anyone in those three seasons...I don't know what more he could've done.  You are right, in that he does get smeared somewhat by the overall Met ugliness, but his decline in play since the start of the '09 season hasn't helped his cause.  His Septembers from '09 on have been much more ordinary (they haven't come anywhere near the Septembers of '06-'08), but Wright is also clearly not the same player.  I admit for me as a fan, this is not an easy transition to make...it almost reminds of Dwight Gooden after '85.  The realization slowly sets in that the player is never going to have a year like his very best, but you can't help yourself in hoping that he will.  The David Wright of '05-'08, the guy who sometimes looked like a one-man wrecking crew...probably never coming back.  He's about to lose his .300 lifetime average (he's currently at .2997), and I know he's getting minimal support in this lineup (seems like eons ago when he had Reyes, Delgado, Beltran, etc), but he's just not the same guy anymore...far from washed-up, but clearly a lesser player.  That reality is a bit of a bummer.

As for Reyes...here's his Septembers from '05 on:

'05:  .262 BA, .302 OB%

'06:  .297 BA, .360 OB%  playoffs:  .250 BA, .298 OB%

'07:  .205 BA, .279 OB% 

'08:  .243 BA, .314 OB%

'09:  DNP

'10:  .269 BA, .321 OB%

'11:  .340 BA, .414 OB%    

Reyes' '06 September was actually quite good (Mets weren't really playing for much that month...they were 82-50 going in and had a 15.5 game lead, and had pretty much sewn up their division...there wasn't much pressure on them in September.  They went 14-15 for the month and were clearly in "cruise control").  But yeah, in '07 and '08, when the Mets REALLY needed him to perform in September to help stave off collapses, he was pretty close to invisible, especially for a guy who carried himself like a conquering hero.  The sabes guys will tell you "small sample" (as they will when the Nick Swisher-types fail in the postseason again and again and again), but until he proves otherwise, I think Reyes is not really a clutch guy (or a guy who has "the knack" of being at his best when the stakes are at their highest).    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 04 June 2013 - 06:54 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#726 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

BTW, Montero is continuing to pitch very well in AA.  He made a successful spot start in AAA back in mid-May, but supposedly Sandy is trying to keep him away from the PCL, so he remains in AA for the foreseeable future.  

#30 FOREVER!

#727 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

Hef has now gone 6 innings or more in seven out of his last eight starts (six of them have been quality starts).  This guy has actually been the Mets' second-most consistent starter, behind Harvey. 

If he's the guy who loses his spot when Wheeler gets called up, that's just a complete joke, and completely wrong.  Hef has been a pleasant surprise, and has earned a spot in the rotation, and a chance to show if he can continue this for a while.

Another strikeout for Captain K. 

#30 FOREVER!

#728 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,911 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

Yea it may be time to give Wright a day off

Hefner has turned it around in a way I never expected, but let's not forget Gee and his incredible outing against the Yankees. If Gee gives us another solid start then it becomes tough to pull either from the rotation.

Niese is also suffering from some tendinitis. So if he can't make his next start maybe they just DL him for 15 games

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#729 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

And another 0-fer for the Ike Man.  Guess as long as he stays in the .160s his job is safe. 

#30 FOREVER!

#730 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,911 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

This is really starting to look like the old Parnell. Suppose he was due to blow one so can't go nuts with him. Doesn't seem like he does well in this stadium. now with the wild pitches and such. You generally know with him right away...within 4-5 pitches if Parnell is going to choke or put the other side away in a heartbeat

Edited by '7', 04 June 2013 - 08:27 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#731 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

Parnell didn't have it tonight, it happens. Oh well. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#732 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

Yeah, hard to kill Parnell.  Closers blow saves sometimes.  Parnell's getting the rest of the year to close, as he should.  Mets need to see him try to do this for one full season...they'll know by the end of the year if he'll be their guy in 2014. 

Tough loss today.  I feel for Hef on this one, but this "offense" makes life very difficult for their pitching staff.   

#30 FOREVER!

#733 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,911 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

Yea the offense was beyond brutal again. Quintanilla bright spot, so was Valdespin for his bunt singles. Time to sit Buck and Ankiel for a while

#734 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

Good for Omar, this won't last, but he's managed to carry over his hitting in the PCL to the majors for a few games. 

Wonder if the Terry Collins watch begins.  Captain Passive has to do SOMETHING to show that he's actually got a pulse.  Not suggesting that anyone can win with this group, but we all know how this works...to think I was actually hoping for 5-4 in the 9 games following the Subway Sweep (now watch the Mets go win five in a row)...

#30 FOREVER!

#735 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:44 AM

Check out these numbers for Hef over his last 8 starts:

50 IP, 41 H, 20 ER, 4 HR, 13 BB, 41 K, 3.60 ERA 

And it's not like Hef's thrown a shutout or two that has skewed the ERA.  He's given up one earned run, two earned runs, three earned runs and four earned runs twice each.  He's been pretty steady.

Kind of sucks that the damned team never wins for him, because he's been a nice story and a real bright spot, and he's not getting much attention over it (mostly because the salami bats never hit enough to win for the guy).  The fact is NO ONE here (including me) ever dreamed he could perform like this over an eight-game stretch. 

Sadly, the Mets sh!t offense has led to the team only winning one of these games. 

At any rate, unless he just completely collapses, he should keep his spot in the rotation for the rest of the season.  This stretch is win-win for the Mets:  the season is already shot, so if Hef falters and this stretch of effective pitching is shown to be a fluke, nothing lost.  If he succeeds, they can keep him or even trade him (likely as part of a package).  I don't expect him to be as good as he's been over these last eight starts, but at least he's put himself in the conversation as a possible #4/#5 guy in 2014 (of course, assuming everything else with Harvey/Wheeler/Niese works out according to plan, which admittedly is dangerous thinking). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 05 June 2013 - 06:47 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#736 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

Surprised nmig hasn't posted this (it's like a morgue in here lately), but minor leaguer Cesar Puello (an OF prospect who was hitting well for AA Binghamton) looks like he's going to get busted along with several others (ARod, Braun, etc) in this whole Biogenesis mess.  Just what the Mets need...an OF prospect getting suspended for cheating. 

#30 FOREVER!

#737 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

Yeah that would be terrible. His name was brought up when this Biogenesis mess first came about, but that was in the offseason, before he established himself as a legit prospect. 

Speaking of prospects, the MLB Draft is tomorrow. The Mets own the 11th overall pick, the pick we'd have given up for Michael Bourn had we signed him. MLB Network is actually expanding their day one coverage this season to the 2nd round (they previously just covered the 1st and supplemental rounds), so we get to see 2 Mets' picks (their 2nd rounder is #48 overall). They also pick early on day two, with the #76 and #84 overall picks. I'm really excited; draft day is always like Christmas morning to me. For our 1st pick, there's about 7 top names and then it falls off a bit; hopefully one of them fall. If not, I like guys like Hunter Renfroe, D.J. Peterson, Austin Wilson, and Dom Smith. I'm keeping my fingers crossed Clint Frazier falls, he's the dream, but again he's part of the "top 7" I mentioned above. 

Edited by nmigliore, 05 June 2013 - 02:49 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#738 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

That #11 better be one hell of a pick.  Bourn is yet another guy who strikes out a lot, but he could've been a nice first piece in the outfield. 

#30 FOREVER!

#739 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

Amazing that Byrd currently sits with a 123 wRC+ and the 3rd best position player fWAR on this team behind Wright and Murphy. Still not a big fan, and he'll likely have zero impact on this franchise post-2013, but credit where it's due (for now).

Edited by nmigliore, 05 June 2013 - 07:11 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#740 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

Nice to see some runs. Gee pitching another good game is even better to see.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users