1814 replies to this topic

#61 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,405 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

I want to do an Opening Day one of these years, never have.  

I've actually thought this out the last few days (vis-a-vis the 6th).  I'll just go for it and get a LF reserved seat in 136 for just over $28 on StubHub, it seems like a great view and I'd have club area protection in case of inclimate weather. 

Fvck it, should be a fun 'doubleheader' with Mets-Marlins and Devils-Leafs :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978, 27 March 2013 - 08:11 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#62 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

Uh oh, big news coming up on Santana at 6:45. My guess: season-ending surgery or something of that ilk.

Man I hope it doesn't have to end this way..... :(

Edited by nmigliore, 28 March 2013 - 05:41 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#63 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,405 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

If it is disaster, I'm really gonna wonder what would have happened if Sandy didn't whine about Santana being out of shape, and Johan running to the mound to throw a bullpen and show everyone he was fine.  Odds are Santana wouldn't have stayed healthy anyway, but still.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#64 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,405 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

And he re-tore his capsule, done for the year.  Adios, amigo :(

#65 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

Re-tear of shoulder capsule. Yikes.

Not just the end of his Met career but probably his Major League career. Damn.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#66 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,405 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

Hard to believe it was less than a year ago that Santana was on top of the world after pitching the no-no, having two straight complete game shutouts, etc.

#67 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

Feel real  bad for Johan...it's like the baseball gods said "Ok I'm giving you this moment, but I'm going to rain down sh!t on you from here on out"

I sincerely hope this doesn't end his career.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#68 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:38 AM

Some roster news is starting to leak out. Havens and Gorski are going to be cut from the 40-man; 2 spots were already opened with the Elvin Ramirez trade and Hicks cut, so that would give the team 4 open spots to add Hawkins, Atchison, Byrd, and, presumably, Quintanilla. There is also Santana to the 60-Day DL, which has to happen (you'd do this before actually cutting anyone), so that opens an interesting 5th spot. I would have to guess that means Scott Rice or Aaron Laffey will grab a roster spot over Carson or the Mets are planning on bringing an outside addition.

Burke and Familia made the bullpen, but I think Familia will only be temporary until Marcum comes off the DL on the 7th (or, if Marcum can't go, they'll swap Familia for a starter on the 40-man, such as McHugh). So basically: Parnell, Lyon, Edgin, Hawkins, Atchison, Burke, Familia, and a LHP. If that LHP is Carson, that 5th opened 40-man spot will be interesting.

Edited by nmigliore, 29 March 2013 - 10:41 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#69 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

A little more roster clarity:

- Scott Rice beat out Rob Carson as the 2nd lefty reliever. He's actually a cool story, being a 31 year old minor league veteran who has never been on a big league roster. Carson was sent to AAA.

- It appears Turner will go on the DL, but Omar Quintanilla, shockingly, will go to AAA. I figured he'd grab Turner's spot, but I guess not. If Tejada goes down in a game, the Mets will have to rely on Jordany Valdespin or David Wright to play SS, at least until Turner comes back.

- Speaking of the bench, it sure sounds like it'll work out like this: Recker, Lutz, Valdespin, Baxter or Nieuwenhuis*, and Cowgill.

(*: I could see two possible outfield alignments: Duda-Kirk-Byrd vs RHP or Duda-Byrd-Baxter vs RHP, so depending on which the Mets choose, one of Baxter/Kirk will be on the bench while the other starts. Or it may not work out that way, but don't place any bets on Cowgill starting and/or Byrd seeing short-side platoon time.)

- Wright and Murphy seem fine and ready to go for Opening Day.

- The bullpen is officially: Parnell, Lyon, Edgin, Atchison, Hawkins, Rice, Burke, and Familia. Yes, 8 relievers, because Marcum will start the year on the DL. I'd expect Familia to be the one sent down by April 7th when the Mets need a 5th starter.

- The Mets technically still have one 40-man spot open with Santana headed for the 60-Day DL, but I'm not totally sure who that will be used on; I'd assume Aaron Laffey.

So all in all, these are pretty much your 25 names for Opening Day:

Catchers: John Buck, Anthony Recker.
Infielders: Ike Davis, Daniel Murphy, Ruben Tejada, David Wright, Jordany Valdespin, Zach Lutz.
Outfielders: Lucas Duda, Marlon Byrd, Mike Baxter, Collin Cowgill, Kirk Nieuwenhuis.
Starting Pitchers: Jon Niese, Matt Harvey, Dillon Gee, Jeremy Hefner.
Relief Pitchers: Bobby Parnell, Brandon Lyon, Josh Edgin, Scott Atchison, LaTroy Hawkins, Scott Rice, Greg Burke, Jeurys Familia.

Edited by nmigliore, 29 March 2013 - 03:30 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#70 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,099 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

eh, Laffey is terrible though and is the very definition of a mop up guy. We're already plenty deep in the pen

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#71 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

eh, Laffey is terrible though and is the very definition of a mop up guy. We're already plenty deep in the pen

He'd fill in for Marcum, not the bullpen. I don't want him here any more than you do, but Sandy confirmed on WFAN today that he's their #1 option to go to if Marcum can't make his start.

That's pretty silly considering McHugh is a very capable fill-in and is already on the 40-man, but whatever, fortunately they didn't lose Gorski on waivers.

Hopefully Marcum is ready to go on the 7th and we don't see any Laffey.

Edited by nmigliore, 29 March 2013 - 03:50 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#72 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,405 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

It'll make nmig feel better that Sandy basically ruled out Chris Young as an option to return, saying he didn't want to be locked into a long-term solution (aka having five pitchers on ML contracts blocking Wheeler).

#73 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

Cowgill is the starting centerfielder; everyday guy, no platoon. I'm fine with that, better choice than than Kirk or Byrd (who will play RF but would be a horror show on CF flanking Duda).
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#74 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:39 AM

I'm a little late to this, but re:  Santana...too bad, sucks that he broke down so severely, which killed the Mets' return on their investment, but he was yet another guy who wasn't figuring in the Mets' plans beyond this year.

At least it's one question answered...Santana won't pitch this year or ever again as a Met.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#75 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

Mets Harlem Shake!!!

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#76 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:53 AM

Rough day today...such a paradox:

Opening Day, which is always fun no matter how good/bad your team is projected to be, and for what it represents:  warmer weather, longer days, and the beauty and joy of summertime, after yet another seemingly endless winter.

But man, this is going to be one fugly Mets team to watch.  Just going to focus on the performance and growth of the (hopefully) future cornerstones, and try to ignore the many rough patches.  It's all about 2014.   

LET'S GO METS!

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#77 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

Wow, nice Opening Day for Niese...2 for 2 with a walk and an RBI, and 6.2 innings of 2-run ball.  Good for Jon! 

#30 FOREVER!

#78 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

Boy, has this been fun one!
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#79 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

Grand slam Collin Cowgill!!
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#80 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

Boy, has this been fun one!

For everyone except Ike, lol.  0-for-5 with 4 K.  Ouch.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users