A little more roster clarity:
- Scott Rice beat out Rob Carson as the 2nd lefty reliever. He's actually a cool story, being a 31 year old minor league veteran who has never been on a big league roster. Carson was sent to AAA.
- It appears Turner will go on the DL, but Omar Quintanilla, shockingly, will go to AAA. I figured he'd grab Turner's spot, but I guess not. If Tejada goes down in a game, the Mets will have to rely on Jordany Valdespin or David Wright to play SS, at least until Turner comes back.
- Speaking of the bench, it sure sounds like it'll work out like this: Recker, Lutz, Valdespin, Baxter or Nieuwenhuis*, and Cowgill.
(*: I could see two possible outfield alignments: Duda-Kirk-Byrd vs RHP or Duda-Byrd-Baxter vs RHP, so depending on which the Mets choose, one of Baxter/Kirk will be on the bench while the other starts. Or it may not work out that way, but don't place any bets on Cowgill starting and/or Byrd seeing short-side platoon time.)
- Wright and Murphy seem fine and ready to go for Opening Day.
- The bullpen is officially: Parnell, Lyon, Edgin, Atchison, Hawkins, Rice, Burke, and Familia. Yes, 8 relievers, because Marcum will start the year on the DL. I'd expect Familia to be the one sent down by April 7th when the Mets need a 5th starter.
- The Mets technically still have one 40-man spot open with Santana headed for the 60-Day DL, but I'm not totally sure who that will be used on; I'd assume Aaron Laffey.
So all in all, these are pretty much your 25 names for Opening Day:
Catchers: John Buck, Anthony Recker.
Infielders: Ike Davis, Daniel Murphy, Ruben Tejada, David Wright, Jordany Valdespin, Zach Lutz.
Outfielders: Lucas Duda, Marlon Byrd, Mike Baxter, Collin Cowgill, Kirk Nieuwenhuis.
Starting Pitchers: Jon Niese, Matt Harvey, Dillon Gee, Jeremy Hefner.
Relief Pitchers: Bobby Parnell, Brandon Lyon, Josh Edgin, Scott Atchison, LaTroy Hawkins, Scott Rice, Greg Burke, Jeurys Familia.
Edited by nmigliore, 29 March 2013 - 03:30 PM.