1814 replies to this topic

#821 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:21 AM

Whatever though, this team is going nowhere anyway. More encouraging is Duda with 4 hits and Gee tossing a gem. And today's Harvey/Wheeler Day, very exciting. 

Can't say they really blew it...it was the usual formula:  starting pitcher has a strong game, team doesn't score.  It's amazing, that the ERAs for each starting pitcher (save Marcum) are all falling nicely, and the losses keep piling up for all of them. 

Harvey:  we know his story.  1-1 in his last 10 starts, despite these numbers: 68.0 IP, 58 H, 18 ER, 10 BB, 70 K, 2.38 ERA

Niese:  last five starts:  32.2 IP, 33 H, 7 ER, 11 BB, 23 K, 1.93 ERA.  1-2 record 

Hefner:  last five starts:  30.0 IP, 30 H, 8 ER, 5 BB, 26 K, 2.40 ERA.  ERA is a little misleading, in that the Mets' defense has screwed him, to the tune of 7 unearned runs in his last two starts.  Hef is 1-1 in those five games.

Gee:  last four starts:  29.1 IP, 24 H, 5 ER, 4 BB, 32 K, 1.53 ERA.  3-1 record   

Marcum:  if you want to include his 8-inning relief stint as a "start", his last six appearances have been up-and-down.  2 ER or fewer in three of them, 4 ER or more in the other three.  4.28 ERA overall in those six games.  He's 0-5 in that time.

Remember how bad the rest of the Mets rotation was, except for Harvey, in April and into May?  Not the case anymore.

The funny thing is, as excited as we all are to see Wheeler, and as great as it is that he's pitched himself into getting called up, starting pitching is clearly not the Mets' problem.  Just about everyone in the rotation has been superb lately, save Marcum, and though he's been inconsistent, he hasn't been flat-out terrible.  Clearly Wheeler has the potential to be more dynamic than the Gees, Hefners, and Nieses (maybe even Harvey), but will a raw Wheeler be much better, results-wise, than these guys have been lately, in the short term? 

Just sucks that the losses are going to keep piling up, because these guys need their friggin' starting pitchers to drive in runs.  But as I've said, that's how it goes when your top hitter is a complementary hitter on a contending team, and your second-place hitter is decent but clearly not a star.  And great that Doofus had a 4-for-4 day and is out of the outfield, but I've seen enough of this guy to know that he's not an everyday answer at any position. 

And if the Mets have already given up on Valdespin...good for them.  A cocky big mouth who talks himself up, annoys teammates and accomplishes little on the field is EXACTLY the kind of the guy the Mets should be avoiding like the plague.  Some of his numbers are intriguing, but let some other team take a chance on him.  Murph has worked hard to be a decent second baseman and has a good attitude...upgrade around him so his weaknesses (and Wright's) are diminished. 

7, in fairness, the Mets are going nowhere, and Gee was pitching his fourth straight terrific game.  I kind of like that Terry was giving him a pat on the back and a vote of confidence.  Yes, you can make the argument that bringing in Parnell was the right move, and if the Mets were in a playoff race, Collins probably does that.  And Parnell probably wants the ball there.  But with the team hopelessly irrelevant, what the hell, why not give Gee a shot to finish what he started?  I'm OK with that. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 18 June 2013 - 06:24 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#822 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,336 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

I understand the whole "going nowhere" thing...but Collins job is to win games, not leave Gee in because he thinks he "deserves it" manage with your head not your heart. I'm sure Gee really wanted to finish what he started but he was not the best man to do so. My take on this is that it's just a waste and depressing. 

I agree Valdespin is likely not a major leaguer, the Mets have separated themselves from more talented hot dogs in the past (milledge) and it hasn't come back to hurt them. I generally don't think Valdespin is a clubhouse cancer type, but more a clown that rubs people the wrong way. Still the Mets were wrong with the way they handled his beaning, and Buck using the pie to as a legit opportunity to legit punch him in the face was scummy as well.

Ike btw had a hit and 2 walks in Vegas yest. Baby steps I suppose

Wilmer Flores is batting .432 in his last 9 games in AAA. He has 10 RBI in that span. He looks major league ready...but where the hell do we play him? He can play a little bit of first. 2b should be given to Murphy, plays hard, hits, and is continuously  trying to improve his defense. Flores came up a SS in 2008 but was moved from there for obvious reasons, SS was supposed to be locked up for us with Reyes. Now it would be a good time for him to go back to SS

Edited by '7', 18 June 2013 - 08:52 AM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#823 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:30 AM

Hear what you're saying 7...the situation's almost like an NFL team that's, say, 1-8, but has just scored a TD with less than a minute left in the 4th quarter to pull within a point of an 8-1 opponent, with the extra point attempt coming up.  Sometimes, the 1-8 team will say "fvck it, let's go for two, why play for OT?"  This isn't the best analogy in the world, just an example of a team that has nothing to lose taking a chance that a contending team clearly wouldn't.  Some will say Collins should've gone by the book, others will say Gee deserved a shot at a CG shutout.  At any rate, Parnell has hardly been on fire lately...his last two outings have been good, but he's been giving up his share of hits of late.   

re:  Flores...playing in the PCL sucks.  I have no idea what to make of Flores' numbers.  Friggin' Quantinilla was hitting .333 out there.  As for Ike...the Mets shifting Murphy back to second and Doofus to first tells me two things:  1) the Valdespin thing was half-hearted, and I think the Mets were actually hoping he wouldn't do much with his chance...they bailed on him pretty quickly, and 2) Ike staying at Vegas is going to be a long-term thing.   

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#824 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,336 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

I see what your mean, it just annoys the heck out of me to throw away games at Turner Field. I just hate that franchise. 

re Flores/Quintanilla, Flores has the larger sample size. About 150 more AB's. I think if Quintanilla had that kind of minor league sample his stats would normalize in the .270 range or so. He's also older and not a prospect. Flores still has some room to grow

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#825 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

I see what your mean, it just annoys the heck out of me to throw away games at Turner Field. I just hate that franchise. 

re Flores/Quintanilla, Flores has the larger sample size. About 150 more AB's. I think if Quintanilla had that kind of minor league sample his stats would normalize in the .270 range or so. He's also older and not a prospect. Flores still has some room to grow

We all hate the Braves.  That's part of being a Met fan. 

Quintanilla/Flores wasn't really a comparison, more a statement on how hard it is to try to evaluate PCL players by the numbers.  You've got non-prospects like Quintanilla and Satin hitting well out there, as well as several other non-prospects.  I hate the PCL for that reason...that it bloats hitter numbers and messes with pitching prospects' heads.  I'm just glad Wheeler came though it all relatively unscathed (and quickly). 

BTW, I missed it, but Rafael Montero is now pitching in AAA, having been promoted.  He made a spot start back in May, but is now with Vegas for good.  In his first start since being promoted, he gave up 5 runs in 5.1 innings (7 hits, no BB), but only one of the runs was earned.  Maybe he gets a September call-up...I think Sandy mentioned him coming up before the end of the year.  He's only 22, and if you don't know anything about him, the guy basically walks no one...in 271.2 minor-league innings, he's walked just 43 (less than 1.5 per nine IP), and struck out 260.  He's also blown through the minors and has pitched well at pretty much every level to date.   

Of course, you can never have too many arms, but Harvey, Niese (especially because he's a lefty), Wheeler, and Montero likely figure into the Mets' 2014 plans, if no one gets hurt.  Which leaves only one spot open for someone else.  Snydergaard will probably get moved up to AA soon (doing pretty well in A+ ball).

Basically, the Mets seem to have a surplus of pitching (if there's any such thing).  God I hope Captain Passive turns some of it into a major-league outfielder.

#30 FOREVER!

#826 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,336 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

Some kind of Alderson conference call coming up...

#827 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

Some kind of Alderson conference call coming up...

Scott Atchison is re-joining the Mets.

Weather is supposed to be rough in Atlanta later, so maybe the Mets are going to push back Wheeler's debut.

Not sure what else the call could be about.

#30 FOREVER!

#828 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,336 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

Yea that was basically it. Sandy had a pointless conference call and got everyone's hopes up for nothing. There was a bit of a buzz that a trade might be forthcoming. 

Edited by '7', 18 June 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#829 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

Yea that was basically it. Sandy had a pointless conference call and got everyone's hopes up for nothing

In fairness, hopes for what?  Did you think some big move was coming?

I have to admit, I don't want to see Sandy coughing up any pitching just yet.  Unfortunately the names teams are going to ask for are going to be Wheeler, Montero, Snydergaard, etc (I'd say Harvey is clearly an untouchable more than anyone else).  No one's asking for Gee, Hefner, or Marcum, not until going after the other names first.  And Sandy's probably not even going there right now.  Outside of their top guys, who do the Mets have that other teams are willing to give up a good major-leaguer for? 

Clearly the Mets aren't going to be able to keep all of these arms...not if they want to bring in position players via trade, and as previously discussed, the FA market isn't great.  I think the immediate hope is Marcum pitches well enough to become a deadline acquisiton (you're not getting much for him, but it's one less arm to worry about, and he's on an easy contract, so you MIGHT get a little something, especially if he can get hot...maybe an A-ball, mid-tier prospect), then Gee can continue to pitch well enough for the rest of the year to be part of an offseason package, though I can't see him having that much value based on his overall track record.  As we all know, though fans always try to fleece when making trade proposals, you have to give something up to get something back.  If the Mets are thinking big, they're probably going to have say goodbye to a Montero or Snydergaard in a trade (though I think they'll resist).  One of those plus Gee or Hefner for starters (and something else), and maybe you're on the way towards getting a nice young bat in the lineup.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 18 June 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#830 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,336 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

Brewing dilemma for the Mets with Harvey

high pitch count

heading into the 7th

To be honest, if it comes down to it I don't want him throwing over 105. And I don't think he can get through 3 innings on 25 pitches.

Edited by '7', 18 June 2013 - 02:00 PM.

#831 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

Brewing dilemma for the Mets with Harvey

high pitch count

heading into the 7th

To be honest, if it comes down to it I don't want him throwing over 105. And I don't think he can get through 3 innings on 25 pitches.

Dilemna over.  That's a good thing. 

#30 FOREVER!

#832 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,336 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

I just wish it ended cleanly instead of the typical Mets stupidity! haha

#833 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

I just wish it ended cleanly instead of the typical Mets stupidity! haha

I'm at work, couldn't see it...dare I ask?

#30 FOREVER!

#834 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,336 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

I'm at work, couldn't see it...dare I ask?

At work myself but watching with the volume down. Slow roller off the bat of Heyward in no mans land between Duda and Harvey. Harvey fields it runs towards the bag(Heyward a step ahead)....but Duda broke off the bag as well to field the ball (it was Harveys ball IMHO, and he made the play) nobody covering first. Harvey picks up the ball and lobs it to an empty base.

Edited by '7', 18 June 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#835 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,336 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

Matt Harvey just started the 8th...with 103 pitches. And promptly walks the first batter on 4 pitches

Collins is an idiot and should be fired

and now David Wright boots a grounder. Bad hop, but you have to field it there

edit: wasn't that bad a hop

Edited by '7', 18 June 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#836 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,961 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

TC pushing Harvey as usual. Mets are the best at burning out arms.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#837 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,336 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

And of course right under Wrights glove again

If they lose this. Collins is a goner

#838 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,961 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

TC is a total moron for pushing Harvey. He should've been done after 7 and that's not hindsight. 

I hope he gets fired if they blow this one. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#839 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,336 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

David Wright has horrible range. His feet are literally cemented to the dirt

#840 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

At work myself but watching with the volume down. Slow roller off the bat of Heyward in no mans land between Duda and Harvey. Harvey fields it runs towards the bag(Heyward a step ahead)....but Duda broke off the bag as well to field the ball (it was Harveys ball IMHO, and he made the play) nobody covering first. Harvey picks up the ball and lobs it to an empty base.

Doofus McGoofus.

Just looked at ESPN, just to see where Harvey stands in potential Cy Young voting.  Obviously his numbers compare incredibly well (they're terrific across the board, truly), but what's also obvious is how much pitching is dominating the sports again (Sports Illustrated pointed this out back in April, but I'm sure others were onto this before that). 

I know there's sabes that flesh this stuff out better (accounting for ballparks, etc), but there's three starters with ERAs under 2.00 in the majors.  Then another 20 with ERAs under 3.00.  There's currently 63 starting pitchers total with ERAs under 4.00. 

In the year 2000, there was one starting pitcher with an ERA under 2.00, a whopping two more with ERAs under 3.00, and a total of just 20 starting pitchers with ERAs under 4.00. 

MLB hit .270 with a .345 OB% and a .782 OB+SLG as a league in 2000.  They're hitting .253 now, with a .316 OB% and a .716 OB+SLG.

So does what does that all mean? 

1) Obviously less 'roids in baseball is a beautiful thing...this is baseball as I remember it in the 80s.

2) David Wright can still be maddening and not clutch, but he really is better than we think (though nmig has never gotten on his case much, to be fair).

3) Time to retrain the brain to pre-roids standards.  Which means some pitchers' numbers aren't as great in 2013 as they would have been some time back, and vice-versa for hitters.

And Collins really seems to try to find reasons for Mets fans NOT to give him the benefit of the doubt.  Harvey gave you seven terrific innings.  Didn't have any reason to pitch any more innings today.

I'm with you guys...fire him.  Even if they don't lose.  Absolutely NO reason for Harvey to throw 116 pitches today, NONE.  I can't support a guy who is willing to burn out a cornerstone of the future for no reason that could possibly make sense. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 18 June 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users