1814 replies to this topic

#861 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:29 PM

Which is exactly why Collins needs to be put out of his misery. He's using up Harvey like a guy who isn't worried about tomorrow because there likely isn't a tomorrow for him if the Mets keep losing.

I can't back him managing the team for so much as another game after today, but unfortunately I think Passive will let him continue to keep the job for a while.  At the very least, I hope Sandy wakes up long enough to let Collins know what he did today was as clownish as it gets, and inexcusable, re: Harvey. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#862 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,191 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

What the hell is wrong with the umpiring in this series. Looked like a pretty clear ball 4 to Satin to load the bases....thought Recker was safe at 1st on that comebacker to Maholm as well

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#863 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

Finally, O Captain My Captain does something in this series. 

But of course the runners get stranded.

Zack, welcome to the Mets, where they never score for you.

As for Zack himself, not far from what you'd expect...we've seen his good and his bad.  Suffice it to say throwing half your pitches for balls is going to catch up with you before long.  But at least it looks like he's going to get through this first outing unscathed, without the walks hurting him...it's pretty impressive that he pitched into the 6th inning, all things considered.   

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#864 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

Wow, umpiring is really all over the place in this game.

#30 FOREVER!

#865 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

Kind of reminds me of a young Al Leiter a little...he once had 10 BB and 10 K in a game. 

55 strikes and 47 balls for Wheeler.  Don't want to rain on his parade, or make too much out of one start, but considering that control hasn't been his strong suit to date, his short-term will probably have some rough spots. 

Recker!  For love of God, get this guy a win!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 18 June 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#866 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

Nice job by Wheeler. Too bad this team can't score.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#867 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

Wheeler on deck?! Please tell me he's just there to bunt. He HAS to be done; more TC pitcher abuse if not.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#868 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

WTF?!  WHY IS WHEELER STILL IN THIS GAME?!  ARE YOU fvckING KIDDING ME TERRY?!

Heaven forbid Wheeler had broken a finger trying to bunt.  Fire Collins now.

#30 FOREVER!

#869 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,687 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

lol you can't make this up, Atchinson gets hurt throwing warmup pitches
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#870 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,191 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

Scott Atchinson (who is the oldest looking 37 year old I've ever seen...seriously he can pass for 52) unfortunately pulls a muscle in his leg while warming up and the Mets have to go to Lyon instead.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#871 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

Here we go again with Sandy's marvelous bullpen.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#872 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

Here we go again with Sandy's marvelous bullpen.

Sandy is lucky the Giants were in go-for-it mode, and that he inherited a player that had considerable value that he could something back for in Beltran.

Because other than Beltran for Wheeler and RA Dickey (another player Sandy inherited) for D'Arnaud and Snydergaard (I know there were other players, like Buck), what the hell has he really done, other than to beg Met fans to be endlessly patient? 

#30 FOREVER!

#873 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

WOW...isn't that usually the kind of thing that happens to the Mets?  LOL

#30 FOREVER!

#874 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

Damn, 6 runs!  10 in two games!  Usually takes them five games or so to do that these days...

#30 FOREVER!

#875 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,191 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

bnfxy5tciaejwsb.png?w=664&h=433

#876 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,191 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

Mets have traded Collin McHugh for Eric Young Jr.

Cowgill has been DFA'd

Not bad, McHugh is essentially worthless. Young can hit a little bit...not great but won't embarrass himself at the plate either. Hit .316 in limited duty last year with the Rockies. Blazing speed. Can play all 3 outfield positions as well as 2b.

#877 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:57 PM

So did we sweep a doubleheader or win a tripleheader?

A very nice day for the future of the organization, and it's always pleasant to pick up wins in Atlanta.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#878 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:44 AM

Mets have traded Collin McHugh for Eric Young Jr.

Cowgill has been DFA'd

Not bad, McHugh is essentially worthless. Young can hit a little bit...not great but won't embarrass himself at the plate either. Hit .316 in limited duty last year with the Rockies. Blazing speed. Can play all 3 outfield positions as well as 2b.

Young had been DFA'd, and the Rockies had 10 days to trade or release him.  Apparently he wasn't doing well at the plate or the field this year:

http://www.denverpos...s-days-colorado

This is basically a crap-for-crap trade, but that's OK...McHugh has little value, and when he had his chance to move up the Mets' depth chart with his starting appearance (which with all of the pitching talent in the system, a outlier like McHugh was only to get one chance) and didn't take advantage of it in the slightest, he was immediately expendable (especially with Gee getting hot, and Hefner continuing to be surprisingly solid).  I could see why Colorado would want to take a chance on him...they probably saw McHugh's 2.87 ERA in nine starts for Vegas, and his overall pretty good minor-league numbers, and are hoping they've found a potential #4/#5 who can handle pitching in thin air.  They'll quickly learn that McHugh is a AAAA guy, but all they gave up for him was a guy they didn't want anyway. 

A trade that makes perfect sense but unlikely to make much difference for either team in the long run.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 19 June 2013 - 06:32 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#879 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

Congrats to David Wright on 1500 career hits!

re: the trade - it's alright. Young Jr. Is basically like Turner, who is on the DL, with more speed and less bat. He did have a good year last season in a limited role but that was BABIP-inflated and likely a blip anyway. Better than losing McHugh for nothing.

Edited by nmigliore, 19 June 2013 - 07:32 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#880 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,723 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

The trade was about each team getting rid of a player they didn't want/need for someone that might help a little.  Good enough fror me.

Byrd is quietly having a fairly decent season, all things considered.  The Mets have a couple of bodies they can move at the deadline in Byrd and Buck...the returns on either player won't be anything significant, and the Mets would likely have to eat a nice chunk of Buck's 2013 salary, but they're probably not Mets in 2014 anyway, so might as well get something for them.

If (huge if) a team was willing to overpay a little for Murph at the deadline (admittedly I don't know if anyone's looking for an average-fielding, pretty good hitting second baseman)...would the Mets bite?   

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users