1814 replies to this topic

#921 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:16 AM

BTW, GREAT baseball movie on satellite/cable right now called "Knuckleball!"  It's a documentary that mostly focuses on the careers of Tim Wakefield and RA Dickey.  There's some great old films of both players as little leaguers and teenagers (Wakefield looks about the same, sans goatee, while Dickey almost isn't recognizable).  I won't give anything away, but suffice it to say that both pitchers went through a lot of hell and their share of rough patches, and the knuckleball represented both players' only chance to have any success as major leaguers.  Wakefield's career numbers, despite winning 200 games, seem kind of unremarkable at a glance, until you factor in that the guy, who was drafted as a first baseman and was told he'd never get above AA as a position player with his skillset, managed to pitch 3226.1 regular-season innings in the majors over 19 seasons, and pitched until he was 44 years old.  Dickey's story is the guy who simply didn't have the kind of stuff needed to get major-league hitters out with much success, and was on his way just another afterthought, before embracing the knuckler.   

Re:  Dickey, what's kind of sad in a way is that Dickey and the Mets seem like they were made for each other.  The deal Sandy made was a no-brainer, you make that trade 100 times, but Dickey's three seasons as a Met have been so much better than everywhere else...for some reason, being a Met brought out his very best. Hard to believe that Dickey's given up 6 ER or more in four out of his last 6 starts as a Blue Jay.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 26 June 2013 - 06:26 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#922 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

Montero had another tough start in AAA:  just 3 IP and 4 ER, with 3 BB (very uncharacteristic for him).  Ike went 0-for-4. 

BTW Collin Cowgill has been traded for minor-leaguer Kyle Johnson.  Johnson is a 23-year-old A-baller and college grad...his minor-league numbers look good to date (speed/on-base guy, good average, not much power), but he's also probably 2-3 years older than most of his competition.  The return for Cowgill doesn't matter anyway...I like the Sandy is doing something by whittling away the deadwood.  Hoping Valdespin is next. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 26 June 2013 - 06:51 AM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#923 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,219 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

Looks like we had the 1999 Mets infield out there today. Good to see Marcum get win #1. He hasn't been good, but he wasn't deserving of 0-9 either.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#924 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:59 AM

Looks like we had the 1999 Mets infield out there today. Good to see Marcum get win #1. He hasn't been good, but he wasn't deserving of 0-9 either.

He's had good outings...but probably didn't deserve more than 3-4 wins...of course, the Met offense for much of the season has been a W-L record killer for all of their starting pitchers. 

It's the White Sox, whose offense is about as bad as the Mets', so I can't too much out of Marcum pitching well against them, but all I'm asking for from Marcum is to turn in some good starts before the trading deadline.  There's simply no reason for him to be here after that date, especially if Niese is OK, and Montero progresses in AAA (which right now look like big IFs, admittedly). 

John Buck is now 1-for-his-last-21, with 11 K.  That crazy start seems like 100 years ago.  He's a .181 hitter since April 16.  I'm sure the Mets are praying he gets hot again so someone might show interest, so he's going to keep playing, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.  Recker probably isn't going to be much of an improvement either, so it's hard to make much of a case for him getting the majority of the playing time, even with Buck doing next to nothing for over two months.  D'Arnaud can't get up here soon enough. 

Hope Murph picks it up soon.  .270/.310/.705 isn't really enough.  He'll go on one of his hit-everything-in-sight streaks in time, but admittedly when he's in a valley like this it's easy to start wondering what it is exactly that he does really well. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 27 June 2013 - 08:21 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#925 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,219 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

He's had good outings...but probably didn't deserve more than 3-4 wins...of course, the Met offense for much of the season has been a W-L record killer for all of their starting pitchers. 

It's the White Sox, whose offense is about as bad as the Mets', so I can't too much out of Marcum pitching well against them, but all I'm asking for from Marcum is to turn in some good starts before the trading deadline.  There's simply no reason for him to be here after that date, especially if Niese is OK, and Montero progresses in AAA (which right now look like big IFs, admittedly). 

John Buck is now 1-for-his-last-21, with 11 K.  That crazy start seems like 100 years ago.  He's a .181 hitter since April 16.  I'm sure the Mets are praying he gets hot again so someone might show interest, so he's going to keep playing, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.  Recker probably isn't going to be much of an improvement either, so it's hard to make much of a case for him getting the majority of the playing time, even with Buck doing next to nothing for over two months.  D'Arnaud can't get up here soon enough. 

Hope Murph picks it up soon.  .270/.310/.705 isn't really enough.  He's go on one of his hit-everything-in-sight streaks in time, but admittedly when he's in a valley like this it's easy to start wondering what it is exactly that he does really well. 

I have little to no faith in Niese repeating 2012 ever, who knows if he'll ever build up the arm strength again even if his injury is on the less severe side and doesn't require surgery

Buck is a disaster, shame D'Arnaud's progress back has been so slow. Mets have a guy in Vegas named Francisco Pena...honestly I can't imagine he's any worse than Recker or Buck at this point.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#926 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:45 AM

I have little to no faith in Niese repeating 2012 ever, who knows if he'll ever build up the arm strength again even if his injury is on the less severe side and doesn't require surgery

Buck is a disaster, shame D'Arnaud's progress back has been so slow. Mets have a guy in Vegas named Francisco Pena...honestly I can't imagine he's any worse than Recker or Buck at this point.

With Niese, guess we'll see.  It's always nice to have a lefty in the rotation, and if all goes well, Niese shouldn't be more than a #3 in a 2014 rotation and beyond...hopefully he's a #4 in time. 

I think where we have to temper immediate expectations is with Wheeler.  It's great that he's here, but I don't think it's going to be pretty for a while.  Think 5 IP, 100-pitch, 4 BB-type outings.  But he's both out of the PCL and pitching for the Mets...as long as it doesn't get really ugly, him learning to pitch at the major-league level on a team that can afford to let him go through growing pains can only be a positive, as long as Terry doesn't abuse him. 

I think it's Buck and Recker no matter how ugly it gets, until D'Arnaud gets here (and it may not be any better initially, but at least with him there's HOPE).  But with Buck's overall season performance (which would be about as bad as it gets if not for those first 10 games), I'm guessing if the Mets do actually manage to trade him, they're not only going to get next to nothing in return, they're probably going to have to pick up most (if not all) of his remaining salary as well.  But at least he's not going to be here in 2014, no matter what. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 27 June 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#927 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

Anyone else seeing this guy in the front row at Colorado that looks exactly like Poni?
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#928 trancer70

trancer70

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

Great way to finish up this road trip for them - who knows maybe this season winds up being one where they play like crap pre-all star break and then actually play good the 2nd half of the season

#929 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:09 AM

Hefner's ERA comes down to 3.72.  He made five starts in June and had an ERA of 1.80 for the month.  That number is a little misleading (he also allowed 6 unearned runs in June), and clearly he's not dominant (33 hits allowed in 30 IP in June), but when you keep the walks down (only 5 in those 30 IP), you can get away with giving up a few more hits.

trancer70, welcome to the Mets forum.  Been kind of quiet in here lately, nice to see a new face. 

The Mets have quietly gone 15-14 in their last 29 GP, and 7-3 in their last 10.  At 25-40, this team was on pace for 62 wins, and people were talking about this team possibly losing 100 games (I never really saw them losing that many, but winning 70 was starting to look like a major challenge).  At 32-43, they're now on pace for 69. 

They've hardly been a model of consistency in going 15-14 (often the mark of a .500 team), but playing .500ish ball over 29 games has to be seen as a minor step forward for a team with a .427 winning pct overall.   

As for what the second half may bring...lots of questions.  Will Wright fade again in the second half?  Will Murph bounce back from a weak June and start finding ways to get on base when he's not in one of his unconscious streaks?  (Murph is 7-for-his-last-23, maybe he's getting it going again.)  Can Ike Davis come back up and not suck?  Will Zack Wheeler somehow instantly thrive like Matt Harvey, or will he go through growing pains?  Does Niese come back, and if so, how will he perform?  Can Hefner continue to surprise?  Can the bullpen remain hot?

As we know with question mark teams, not everything will work out in their favor, but if a lot of things break right, this team could possibly flirt with .500 ball the rest of the season.  There's 87 games left, so say they go 43-44 the rest of the way...that would make them 58-58 over 116 GP, which considering the expectations, and the fact that Sandy did very little to help the Mets at the major-league level, would be an impressive feat.  But if the Mets DO manage to do to pull that off (and like I said, a lot will have to go right), suffice it to say Met fans aren't going to tolerate a 10+ games-under-.500 record by the middle of May next season.  They will expect Sandy to be aggressive in improving the team...if the Mets bottom out again and finish in the mid-60s win-wise, even though we won't be happy about it, I think we'll all come to the realization that 2014 will be what 2013 was supposed to have been.    

#30 FOREVER!

#930 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,219 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

That's a great job by Terry leaving Lyon in to face a guy who he's never gotten out in his life.

why was Aardsma even taken out?

Edited by '7', 28 June 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#931 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

Terry is a moron. 

Harvey gets fvcked out of a win yet again.

#30 FOREVER!

#932 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,219 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

Overall the Mets have been playing better but man have their losses been excruciating. The Gee game in Atlanta, the Philly almost comeback, game 1 vs the Sox, and finally tonight

#933 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,219 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

you just know right away with parnell when he's completely helpless. In fairness though this is his 3rd consecutive day working. I just wish Terry didn't manage that game away in the 8th. Maybe we could've avoided using him

Edited by '7', 28 June 2013 - 09:16 PM.

#934 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:14 AM

The bullpen isn't going to get it done every game, but Collins didn't handle it well at all.  Though I think Collins took out Harvey when he should have (he looked gassed to me), if Parnell wasn't off limits, why the hell did Terry wait until the game was tied before bringing him in?  If Terry brought him in for one extra out and it didn't work out, fine, at least he goes down with his best. 

BTW Harvey's last 5 starts:  34 IP, 19 H, 6 ER (3 of which came because Collins went too long with Harvey against Atlanta), 4 BB, 43 K. Guy is so scary good.  And it's so damned maddening how the Mets continually find ways to not win for him.   

#30 FOREVER!

#935 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

TC did his typical over-managing routine in that inning. Of course he doesn't bring Parnell in either, even though he pitched a long inning in the next frame.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#936 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,219 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

Nice bounce back win to wash away some of the funk of last nights disaster. Gee is pretty solid when he's not pitching at Citizens Bank Park. And nice to see Murphy come back to life with 3 hits. Even worthless Buck had an RBI single!

Time is coming to unload Byrd. We can't make the same mistake as with Hairston last season

Edited by '7', 29 June 2013 - 03:39 PM.

#937 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:42 AM

I hear what you're saying about Byrd, and I would lean towards trading him too, but the Mets might need him or a guy like him next season to play in the outfield...there's simply not many bodies in the system capable of being passable major-league outfielders right now.  Doofus really should not be back next season, as a first baseman or outfielder. 

If other teams aren't willing to give up anything remotely useful (and I know the return on Byrd isn't going to be anything huge), it could be argued it might make sense to keep Byrd and sign him for another year, but it would be risky for sure.

re:  Buck, kind of sad when an RBI single is cause for major celebration.  He just had as bad a month as a player could possibly have:  .162 BA, .225 OB%, .230 SLG, .455 OB+SLG.  It's pretty much impossible to be this bad and still get consistent major league at-bats. 

At this point, why not give Recker a few games, if only because it's almost impossible for him to be any worse at the plate than Buck was in June? 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 30 June 2013 - 05:43 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#938 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

Some weird numbers for RA Dickey:

In his last 11 starts:

0 ER: twice

1 ER: once

2 ER: 3 times

6 ER: 3 times

7 ER: twice

Now that the Jays are trying to claw back into things, must be maddening not to know what Dickey is going to give them from start to start. 

Speaking of other ex-Mets, Francoeur has just been designated for assignment...which probably means he will find his way onto another major league-team, have a pretty good first season or so with his new team, then suck again.  Guy seems to have a way of hanging around...1205 major-league games for his career.  Suffice it to say the Braves (as usual) knew what they were going when they gave up on him.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 30 June 2013 - 07:54 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#939 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,219 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

I hear what you're saying about Byrd, and I would lean towards trading him too, but the Mets might need him or a guy like him next season to play in the outfield...there's simply not many bodies in the system capable of being passable major-league outfielders right now.  Doofus really should not be back next season, as a first baseman or outfielder. 

If other teams aren't willing to give up anything remotely useful (and I know the return on Byrd isn't going to be anything huge), it could be argued it might make sense to keep Byrd and sign him for another year, but it would be risky for sure.

re:  Buck, kind of sad when an RBI single is cause for major celebration.  He just had as bad a month as a player could possibly have:  .162 BA, .225 OB%, .230 SLG, .455 OB+SLG.  It's pretty much impossible to be this bad and still get consistent major league at-bats. 

At this point, why not give Recker a few games, if only because it's almost impossible for him to be any worse at the plate than Buck was in June? 

For me age is a concern with Byrd...he's turning 36 this August, his 2011 and 2012 indicated a steady decline. I don't know what to make of his 2013, rebirth or anomaly? His obp is still pretty bad. But I love that he plays extremely hard every time, no dogging balls in the outfield, runs hard to first all the time.

Not sure what kind of return we'd get for Byrd. A solid bullpen prospect?

#940 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

I'm not saying it would be ideal to keep Byrd, and he's not great by any stretch.  The Mets are just so screwed from an outfield standpoint.  I was thinking of his age when I said it would be very risky to keep him around another year...trust me, I'd be worried about it too.  But I don't think he's bringing anything much back of significance...I'm sure other GMs are well-aware of his weaknesses too.  I think he fetches back a marginal prospect at best, unless he gets crazy hot before the deadline...then maybe something a little better.  I think the Mets have to take the very best player they can get for him, regardless of position.

I think it's safe to say Wheeler's ascendance isn't going to be nearly as quick or smooth as Harvey's...looks like his route will be much more conventional, in that it's not going to be pretty at first.  Three starts, and it hasn't been easy for him in any of them.  24 baserunners in 16 IP, and a lot of pitches thrown. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 30 June 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users