1814 replies to this topic

#981 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

Cubs got back a live arm in low-A with good numbers for Scott Hairston, who is having a terrible year and is owed $2.5M next season plus whatever is left on this year's contract. Remember what Sandy got back for Hairston last season when he was putting up nice numbers with a dirt cheap salary? Oh that's right, nothing. 

Can't wait to do the same with Marlon Byrd this year!

Edited by nmigliore, 08 July 2013 - 10:08 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#982 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,720 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

There wasn't much of an excuse for last season w/Hairston, but I agree that there isn't really any excuse for Captain Passive hanging onto Byrd this year.  If the Mets decide they want him back again next season, I don't think they'll have any problem bringing him back (not that being concerned about him coming back next year should be a major worry on Sandy's part).  There HAS to be a contending team that could use a decent outfield bat with power this season who won't cost that much from a money standpoint, and Marlon Byrd fits the bill nicely.  Passive has really shown next to nothing since coming here...like we've both said, it was going to be pretty hard to screw up the Beltran trade.  The Mets were going to get something of significance back for him.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#983 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,720 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Montero's last outing:  6 IP, 8 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K

Since his AAA recall:  24.1 IP, 35 H, 14 ER, 9 BB, 22 K, 1.77 WHIP 

There's probably sabes to make these numbers look a little better than they really are, but 35 H in 24.1 IP is a lot. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#984 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

Yeah he's running a 3.26 FIP thanks to the strong K%, BB%, and homerun rates. That's more important to me than the raw results. I know the hit rate isn't pretty, but to be fair to him, he's playing in an environment where it's natural to expect an inflated hit (or homerun) rate. Montero is also an extreme strike-thrower which probably makes it even tougher for him in that league. 

Noah Syndergaard threw up another gem for Binghamton the other night too: 7 IP, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 K. Still a very small sample size, but he's been fantastic since being bumped up to AA: 18 IP, 17 hits, 3 ER, 4 BB, 23 K.

These two pitchers are also going to the Future's Game, which is really awesome for them since they get a taste of Citi Field. Brandon Nimmo will also join them, granted he's hit just .224/.327/.306 in low-A since returning from a hand and back injury that forced him to miss a month.

Edited by nmigliore, 08 July 2013 - 12:45 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#985 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,720 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

Interesting, Syndergaard gives up his fair share of hits (78 of them in 81.2 IP this season), but they don't seem to hurt him much (2.76 ERA in 15 starts).  His BB-to-K ratio on the season is terrific (20-to-87), and it's always nice when one has the ability to dial it up for a K when needed.  I'm thinking he's going to AAA ball by September for a few starts if he keeps pitching well in AA.  Pretty impressive for a guy who won't be 21 until next month.  Probably has an outside shot at a major-league call up next season if Vegas doesn't kill him first. 

I know about the PCL; this is why I HATE the Mets having their AAA affilate there, so I know Montero's numbers, just like everyone one else pitching in the PCL, are affected.  It's just that his numbers are so markedly different for the 51s.  I'm sure he can't wait to get the hell out of there.     

#30 FOREVER!

#986 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,720 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

BTW, if anyone here's looking for a disturbing read, check out this:

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0762447990

It's the book about the rise and fall of Lenny Dykstra's financial empire (Nailed!).  Suffice it to say Lenny was a pretty scary guy in a lot of ways...and not a very nice one at that.  The book doesn't really go into Lenny's playing days, in length or detail, though there's some early chapters dedicated to that part of his life (as well as his childhood)...the meat of the book is Lenny's post-retirement empire build-up/tear-down and the drama and flat-out abuse and scamming that went with it. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 08 July 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#987 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,720 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

I have Doc's memoir coming in this week...this guy was MY hero when I was a 13-year-old in 1984, Dwight's rookie year.  What's sad in, in 1986, I bought an early Dwight Gooden book that chronicled his 1984 and 1985 seasons (the earliest edition of this book covered 1984 only and was called "Rookie"...the 1985 season was added in the later edition that I picked up).  In it, there's a section where he said that drugs were something he'd always stayed away from, that sure, people approached him from time to time asking him if he wanted to try this or that, but he always said no, didn't want anything affecting the way he played the game.

So sad...everyone saw the insane numbers those first two seasons, and a while back I posted that off-the-charts 50-start stretch from '84-'86 where Doc just seemed like he was truly untouchable (37-5 record), in every sense.  Of course, he was never going to keep up that pace, but his career, though clearly good overall, had a chance to be SO much better than it wound up being...still stings me and Mets fans of my era...still that feeling of what could've been.

Here's that 50-start stretch again:

1984: 8-1 record, 76 IP, 42 H, 9 ER, 13 BB, 105 K, 7 HR, 1.07 ERA

1985: 24-4 record, 276.2 IP, 198 H, 47 ER, 69 BB, 268 K, 13 HR, 1.53 ERA

1986: 5-0 record, 52 IP, 30 H, 6 ER, 8 BB, 39 K, 2 HR, 1.04 ERA

Totals: 37-5 record, 404.2 IP, 270 H, 62 ER, 90 BB, 412 K, 22 HR, 1.38 ERA

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 08 July 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#988 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

If Terry brings Harvey out for the 7th at 107 pitches....god help me. Nice job by Matt battling after a rocky 1st inning though.

Also I would hold him out of his next scheduled start before the ASB.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#989 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

Harvey on deck, he's probably starting the 7th. Jeez. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#990 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

BTW, if anyone here's looking for a disturbing read, check out this:

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0762447990

It's the book about the rise and fall of Lenny Dykstra's financial empire (Nailed!).  Suffice it to say Lenny was a pretty scary guy in a lot of ways...and not a very nice one at that.  The book doesn't really go into Lenny's playing days, in length or detail, though there's some early chapters dedicated to that part of his life (as well as his childhood)...the meat of the book is Lenny's post-retirement empire build-up/tear-down and the drama and flat-out abuse and scamming that went with it. 

I still remember Mike Francesa (I think Russo was off) had Dykstra on his program a few years ago before his empire collapsed. Francesa was touting him almost as if he was Warren Buffet. Something just seemed "off" though during the interview...meaning Dykstra seemed impaired in some way.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#991 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

Harvey clearly labored tonight too, it's not like he's been dominant. Terry is just a total moron, I'm so tired of this lameduck loser.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#992 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:10 PM

Nice job moron Terry. 107 pitches and they lead off with a triple.

#993 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

2 pitches...1 run. fvcking idiot Terry strikes again

#994 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

It's one thing if the Mets were actually in a pennant race. This is just a joke. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#995 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:26 PM

Mets got some good news with Niese today, as he will not require surgery and has been cleared to resume throwing

#996 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:34 AM

What a play by Crawford robbing Byrd of a hit that would have put the Mets up a run in the 11th. Ergh.

Edited by nmigliore, 09 July 2013 - 12:35 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#997 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,720 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:29 AM

I still remember Mike Francesa (I think Russo was off) had Dykstra on his program a few years ago before his empire collapsed. Francesa was touting him almost as if he was Warren Buffet. Something just seemed "off" though during the interview...meaning Dykstra seemed impaired in some way.

That is brought up in the book...much is made of how surprised people always were when they remembered Dykstra the player, then met this version of Lenny...almost everyone seemed to wonder about his health and condition...he had to wear false teeth (as he had lost most of his own), was paunchy, and just flat-out looked 10-15 years older than he really was.

#30 FOREVER!

#998 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,720 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:39 AM

Harvey clearly labored tonight too, it's not like he's been dominant. Terry is just a total moron, I'm so tired of this lameduck loser.

I can't wait 'till he's gone, a distant memory of a time when the Mets were in another valley.

I wonder if it even registers with Passive what this clown could potentially be doing with Harvey's career.  The bullpen has been better lately...they deserve the chance to close some of these games out...but no, time and time again the retread no one wanted has to try to squeeze another inning out of a winded Harvey.  That's now the third time in the last five games that Harvey has been overextended, and it's led to a total of 6 runs.  And as we all know, what the hell does Collins care?  He's out at the end of the year and he knows it. 

#30 FOREVER!

#999 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,720 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:42 AM

Mets got some good news with Niese today, as he will not require surgery and has been cleared to resume throwing

That's good, but I think the Mets have to realize that this guy is never going to be a 200-inning guy for them.  They should probably start thinking of him as a potential #5.  Could be win-win...Niese is better than a lot of other team's #5s, and pitching in that slot in the rotation will help keep his innings/workload down.

#30 FOREVER!

#1000 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

That was some kind of win last night with the bullpen escaping jam after jam and Crawford, who saved the game earlier, booting the go-ahead run in. Even the save by Parnell was scary,
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users