• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

This is so great:

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=V0D8V0dCbf8

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1042 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:47 AM

Matt Harvey is SO what this franchise needed, in all ways. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1043 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

Harvey gave up a leadoff double to Trout, hit Cano in the knee (who later left), struck out Cabrera, got Davis to fly out to shallow CF, and struck out Bautista.

It sucks to see Cano get hit like that in an exhibition game, Yankee or not, I hope he's alright. He winked to Harvey when walking by the mound so maybe (hopefully) he's just leaving for precautionary reasons.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1044 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,113 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

The endless Rivera garbage bothered me. They tried to make this more about NY Baseball instead of the Mets. Were the Mets even mentioned in 2008?

And getting the MVP? Give me a break.

Edited by '7', 16 July 2013 - 10:44 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1045 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:57 AM

The endless Rivera garbage bothered me. They tried to make this more about NY Baseball instead of the Mets. Were the Mets even mentioned in 2008?

And getting the MVP? Give me a break.

Rivera is an all-time great, the very best at what he did.  It's his last season.  I'm not surprised about any of this, and giving him the MVP was more of a lifetime achievement, thanks for everything kind of award.  It was given to him purely for sentimental reasons.  I can live with that.

Carton is being a complete dick today on WFAN, but at least Boomer's calling him out on it.  He's ripping Harvey's performance...call me crazy, but the guy came back nicely after appearing to be a little nervous/amped up early on.  Carton apparently seems to think Harvey should've struck out every batter he faced.  He's also bitching about the quality of the game, calling it "boring".  The best pitching in the game was on display last night...and some of those guys throw some damned nasty stuff.  Not sure why Idiot thought he was going to see a 10-9 game. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1046 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,421 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:10 AM

He's probably just bitter Harvey hit Cano, you KNOW some idiot Yankee fans are going to hold that against Harvey now.  At least Cano himself did his best to diffuse it.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1047 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:11 AM

LOL he did he watch the game? Someone should go tell him to rewatch the Harvey vs the Best Hitter on The Planet (Cabrera) at bat. And go and find me a better slider than what Harvey has.

Whatever, Carton is a total clown, also probably the biggest fair weather fan you'll find.

Edited by nmigliore, 17 July 2013 - 06:12 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1048 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:32 AM

I've always known Carton was a horse's ass, a Howard Stern/Mad Dog wannabe who thinks he's much cooler and badass than he could ever hope to be, but today he took it to a whole 'nother level. 

I'm not even a big All-Star guy, and I not only watched the game, I actually ENJOYED it, lack of hits and runs included.  I came away from the game thinking "Wow, there is some really terrific pitching in the majors right now!"  Because the guys trying to hit the ball sure weren't slouches.

He's probably just bitter Harvey hit Cano, you KNOW some idiot Yankee fans are going to hold that against Harvey now.  At least Cano himself did his best to diffuse it.

Yeah, I expect he'll be booed heartily if he pitches in Yankee Stadium next season.  And some of those idiot Yankee fans will swear that Harvey did it on purpose. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1049 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,113 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

Rivera is an all-time great, the very best at what he did.  It's his last season.  I'm not surprised about any of this, and giving him the MVP was more of a lifetime achievement, thanks for everything kind of award.  It was given to him purely for sentimental reasons.  I can live with that.

Carton is being a complete dick today on WFAN, but at least Boomer's calling him out on it.  He's ripping Harvey's performance...call me crazy, but the guy came back nicely after appearing to be a little nervous/amped up early on.  Carton apparently seems to think Harvey should've struck out every batter he faced.  He's also bitching about the quality of the game, calling it "boring".  The best pitching in the game was on display last night...and some of those guys throw some damned nasty stuff.  Not sure why Idiot thought he was going to see a 10-9 game. 

I understand, but a Citi Field game should be more Met-centric imho. Just something about the Yankees hogging the spotlight again rubs me the wrong way (albeit Rivera would be the most tolerable Yankee) I still see him as a bit overrated even if he is the best at what he does. But the role of the closer has changed over the years so he doesn't pitch 3 innings like they used to, and I wouldn't put him on the pedestal of position players who hit and fielded the entire game...or starting pitchers for that matter. To me it's like honoring the NFL's greatest punter.I didn

I didn't mind the pitching display either. Harvey had his 2 shutout innings, Wright got a hit. I prefer that to a 10-9 barnburner with Harvey getting shellacked and Wright going 0-3

Edited by '7', 17 July 2013 - 07:51 AM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#1050 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

Geez '7', that seems a bit unfair, re: Rivera.  He's a hell of a lot more important than a punter.  The guy was not only terrific for his ENTIRE career as a closer, he was also incredibly clutch.  How many closers with great stuff have a way of buckling in big spots?  Hell, the Mets have had their share of those guys...Benitez, Wagner, etc.  In 96 postseason appearances, he threw 141 IP (clearly he went more than just one inning in a lot of games), and allowed just 86 hits and 21 BB.  That's a 0.76 WHIP.  A guy who was already awesome in the regular season actually got even BETTER in the postseason against TOUGHER competition.  Not too many guys do that. 

You cannot underestimate the importance of a closer who is practically money no matter what the circumstances.  Guys like that are VERY hard to find, and guys who can do it for damned near two decades...we will probably never see another Rivera-type again.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 17 July 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1051 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

Re:  Rivera's numbers, as great as they are, are actually slightly hurt by his overall bad numbers as a starting pitcher in his rookie year:

10 GS, 50 IP, 64 H, 33 ER, 20 BB, 38 K, 5.94 ERA    His first eight major-league appearances came as a starter.  He had one excellent start (8 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 4 BB, 11 K), but only two of his 10 starts fell into the "quality start" category.

His ERA as a reliever (not a hugely important stat for relievers, not going to pretend that it is) is 2.07.  1204 IP as a reliever with just 914 hits and 264 BB allowed (and only 59 HR)...that's a 0.98 WHIP. 

What's amazing about it all is that he was NOT being groomed into being a reliever...he spent the majority of his minor-league career starting (from when he was 22 to 25) .  I don't think the Yankees were ever thinking reliever, let alone closer, though maybe the Yankees should have let him be that all along...his first year of professional ball in the rookie league saw him put up insane numbers as a 20-year-old reliever:

22 GP (1 start), 52 IP, 17 H, 1 ER, 7 BB, 58 K, 0.17 ERA, 0.46 WHIP.  In a word...damn. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 17 July 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1052 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

Just realized Wright leads the NL in position player WAR (Fangraphs). He could legitimately be in the race for MVP depending on what he does the next few months (he was robbed of the MVP in 2007).

And of course Harvey, 2nd in pitcher WAR, has a legit shot at the Cy Young as of right now.

Would be fascinating to see, by the end of the season, each of them having as good of a case for those awards as they do now. 

Edited by nmigliore, 17 July 2013 - 12:22 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1053 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

Hard to believe a guy on pace for 89 RS, 23 HR and 78 RBI could lead in WAR.  Not saying those numbers are the best way to judge players, just saying I'm sure a lot of people would be surprised that Wright's leading in NL position player WAR. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1054 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

Hard to believe a guy on pace for 89 RS, 23 HR and 78 RBI could lead in WAR.  Not saying those numbers are the best way to judge players, just saying I'm sure a lot of people would be surprised that Wright's leading in NL position player WAR. 

Well that's because 2 of those 3 numbers (I'm sure you can guess which) are irrelevant to batter value in WAR. Wright has excelled in hitting for average, getting on base a ton, and being a good defensive player and baserunner.

I'm actually surprised how well defensive metrics have liked Wright the last two seasons:

2012-2013: +21 DRS, +18.5 UZR (this is basically +2 wins)

He was clearly trending downward before that, to a point where you could argue he was a major liability at the position:

2009-2011: -34 DRS, -31.2 UZR (this is basically -3 wins)

Before these two time frames, Wright was similarly up-and-down defensively. Very strange, but then again, defensive metrics can be fickle like that. 

But yes, to your original point, I think traditional stat folk, who aren't all that familiar with the components of WAR, would be surprised to see that Wright actually has a good case for MVP (right now) despite not having big numbers in the triple crown categories.

Edited by nmigliore, 17 July 2013 - 12:45 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1055 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

Dave Cameron of Fangraphs annually runs a really cool Trade Value series. He ranked David Wright #21 in baseball in trade value (obviously he's going nowhere, it's just to put his value in some perspective, contract and age and all that stuff obviously included):

Wright has rebounded from a mid-20s slump to emerge as one of the best players in the game, and the Mets were able to give him an extension that rewards him for his play without turning the deal into an albatross.  While the $11 million he’s getting this year is likely to be the most valuable part of the contract, paying $20 million per year for Wright’s age 31-35 seasons is easily justifiable, and by the time he gets to 36, the salaries will be decreasing.  You don’t see a lot of middle-loaded contracts like this, but it does serve to preserve some of Wright’s trade value as the contract goes along, rather than absorbing all of the value up front and leaving him overpaid at the end.  

Really, the only thing keeping Wright this low is his age.  We’re getting to the part of the list where the players ahead of him are also excellent and signed to reasonable or bargain contracts, but most of them are just younger.  It’s not a knock against Wright himself, and there’s really nothing to complain about, as he hits, he fields, he runs, and he stays healthy.  His mediocre 2011 season is mostly in the rear view mirror at this point, and he’s really a player with very few flaws.  

He’s just headed for the part of his career where that is unlikely to remain true.  How long he can hold off Father Time will determine whether or not he ends up in Cooperstown.  

http://www.fangraphs...de-value-25-21/

Edited by nmigliore, 18 July 2013 - 11:49 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1056 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,113 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

Well I suppose hefner was due for this

What a mammoth home run by Byrd

Can we get Gonzales German into the game already?

#1057 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

Harvey looks ridiculous today even by Harvey standards, wow. What a special talent.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1058 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

Great time to take Harvey out now but there's a 0 percent chance of that happening.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1059 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,113 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

Harvey at 112 again. I personally would cap him at 105 every game and strictly adhere to it. He does seem to run out of gass quickly at 100. I dont care if it's middle inning too.

Nice to see a game where the Mets only use 2 pitchers!

#1060 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

A bloop hit by Gattis and a passed ball by Buck just cost the Mets this game. What a fvcking joke. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users