1814 replies to this topic

#1061 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

And Heyward robs Turner of a game-tying and maybe game-winning double with a ridiculous diving catch in CF. Of course. 

I mean if you're a believer in the "that only happens to the Mets" stuff, there is some gold. 

UGH that one really ticked me off.

Edited by nmigliore, 22 July 2013 - 09:44 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1062 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

This one came with a light body and bitter finish. And no, I did not mean for this post to go in the Beer thread.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#1063 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,112 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

Terrific outing by Gee but of course because it's the Braves we gag it up in unbelievable fashion. Terry also got Gee out at the right time which is nice to see

it really doesn't matter if the Mets field the 27 Yankees and the Braves switch uni's with the 62 Mets...this game occurs 4-5 times a year against the Braves and has been occurring since 1997 or so. You knew as soon as Turner hit the ball that the baseball gods will hold it in the air long enough to guide Heyward (hey it's his 6th game in center, so would he commit a miscue? Of course not) to make a circus catch. Of course he made that catch

David Wright has to get that run in bottom of the 9th. Not K on 3 pitches.

Byrd was playing too deep. That wasn't a little flair that got past in infield. It was a legit fly ball. Byrd can't be playing in the Mo's zone on that one.

And Buck has to get that wild pitch by Parnell. It hit his glove, he has to catch it

Just infuriated by this loss. And the pitching matchups are not in our favor the rest of the way so we'll likely get swept.

And I'm sick of this overshift, no doubles crap. If we overshift McCann he's going to hit it up the middle, if we no doubles Gattis he's going to drop a fly ball to medium right. It never seems to work when we do it in big spots

Edited by '7', 22 July 2013 - 09:47 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1064 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:50 AM

Re:  Wright, that's what's frustrating about him, and that's why guys like Francesca go on rants about how he doesn't seem to get big hits in big spots...people don't pull this perception out of thin air.  Yes, Wright is clearly the best position player on the Mets right now (not that he has much in the way of real competition).  But this was a spot where he didn't even have to come up with a hit...just get the damned runner home from third!  Nope...strike one, strike two, and strike three, and even more maddening is that it didn't come as that big of a surprise, because Wright does that.  You know if that was Chipper Jones against the Mets, he gets that run home one way or another.

Exhibit A (among others) as to why David, despite sabes or traditional numbers, is not (and will never be) a "THE MAN" type.  Like I've said repeatedly...no one's afraid of him in a big spot.  Good-to-very-good player, yes.  Nothing more. 

'7', in fairness, I wouldn't be so quick to bail on this series...Mets have really been a solid team record-wise for a while now (18-12 in their last 30, 26-23 in their last 49).  The fact that they fell so many games under .500 to start the season seems to ensure that the overall record will remain ugly, but they've been surprisingly decent for almost a third of a full season.   

Hard to believe Gee's ERA is down to 4.07...on May 25 it was 6.35.  This was a guy who looked like he should lose his spot in the rotation not so long ago. 

Speaking of ERAs...poor Hef.  His really took a beating with that last start.  From 3.33 to 3.93.  Almost doesn't seem fair.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 23 July 2013 - 06:18 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1065 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

Last starts by Syndergaard and Montero both in the "meh" category:  5 IP, 7 H, 3 ER for each of them. 

Guessing Montero can't wait to get out of the PCL...he was moving up nicely until reaching AAA.  His numbers are up across the board w/Vegas (more hits and walks allowed).  I know some of that is due to the pitching hell that is the PCL.

Syndergaard's giving up some hits (25 H in 25 IP w/Binghamton), and he's been doing that in both A+ and AA (86 H in 88.2 IP overall, .257 BAA), but he keeps the walks down (23) and hasn't been giving up home runs (7).  Like Montero, I can see him having a tough time in the PCL...if he's giving up hits, I've got to believe he's only give up a lot more of them in Vegas.  God it sucks having to go through the PCL to get to New York.

Also gotta wonder when Zack Wheeler's luck is going to run out.  Hard to be successful with a 1.50 WHIP and throwing 100 pitches by the 5th inning seemingly every game.  He's young and was expected to have growing pains for sure (he's showing the same issues he's had throughout the minors), but it's an absolute miracle that he has a 3.58 ERA. 

Valdespin is tearing it up through five games for Vegas:  22 AB, 10 H, 2 HR, 12 RBI, .455 BA, 1.251 OB+SLG.  Can't say I ever want to see him up playing with the big boys ever again though.  He seems to be as poisonous as it gets.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 23 July 2013 - 11:55 AM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1066 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

We won't be seeing Montero this year anyway, I'm sure. The Mets are going to have a 40-man roster jam with a bunch of Rule 5 eligible-prospects this winter so near-MLB ready guys who aren't already on the 40-man and aren't Rule 5 eligible this winter, like Montero, likely won't get their first taste of MLB until 2014.

One intriguing prospect who will need to be added is starting pitcher Jacob deGrom, who has risen through the system pretty quickly and has handled AAA pretty well so far. We'll probably be seeing him within the next few months.

Edited by nmigliore, 23 July 2013 - 01:19 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1067 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

I have to admit, I didn't know anything about deGrom, with all of the higher-profile names we keep discussing.  deGrom is already 25 years old (was drafted out of college), and his minor-league numbers aren't eye-popping (gives up a good number of hits and isn't a high-K guy)...seems like he's a B-level prospect.  According to this source, for whatever it's worth, looks like he might be getting a shot this Friday with the Mets:

http://metsminors.ne...o-be-called-up/

This is a guy you might as well find out about now:  is he a AAAA, spot-starter type, or a guy who could actually become a decent major-league starter?  If it's the latter, maybe he can sweeten a package a little bit for an outfielder this offseason. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1068 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

No, he's a legit prospect. Not in the Montero or Syndergaard class, but somewhere in the next tier. His age is deceiving -- first and foremost he was a SS in college with next to no pitching experience, so he was a complete project pick. He then had TJS after being drafted and so that's why he didn't get into full season ball until last season. But the stuff is legit; a fastball that can touch the mid-90's with good sink and a slider that flashes plus ability. He's moved pretty quickly as a starter considering the lack of experience; in fact, the promotion to AAA was a bit aggressive considering he was more okay than great in AA. He may just be a reliever in the end with a 2-pitch arsenal that would play up better in relief, but he's very much a real prospect.

Edited by nmigliore, 23 July 2013 - 02:15 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1069 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:16 PM

Regarding Friday: Mejia seems like the most logical choice. He's already on the 40-man and is lined up to start that day. Schwinden was one alternative mentioned but he's been dreadful for Las Vegas and isn't on the 40-man while deGrom is actually listed as tonight's starter for Las Vegas. We'll have a clearer picture tonight.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1070 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Nothing wrong with another reliever either, especially a younger guy.  Sandy's discount-rack shopping for relievers hasn't exactly delivered much in the way of positive results overall.  

Schwinden, God no!  That guy sucks.

#30 FOREVER!

#1071 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

More info on deGrom (and others in the system):

http://mets360.com/?... (Mets360 Feed)

#30 FOREVER!

#1072 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

Marc Carig says Mejia is starting Friday. He was always the most logical choice here, so, cool.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1073 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

He seems like a waste of time to me...guy is made of teflon.  Seems like he's always an injury waiting to happen...but Al Leiter had a rough time staying healthy when he was younger too, and wound up winning 162 games (the vast majority of which came in his 30s). 

#30 FOREVER!

#1074 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

I don't think he's a waste of time; are we forgetting the team is out of the playoff race and in a rebuild? What do they have to lose toying around with a former top pitching prospect that still has a good arm and is quite young? It's easy to forget he's just 23. I have almost zero expectations with him as a starter, but it doesn't hurt to get a look at him in some role, even if it's the bullpen after the spot start.

One thing to keep in mind is that if he spends 20 non-rehab days in the minors this year, he burns his final option and thus would need to make the team next spring in order to avoid being put on waivers. Keeping him up, or at least out of the minors for 20 days, would preserve that final option another year and allow the team to freely send him down next season, if need be.

Edited by nmigliore, 23 July 2013 - 08:48 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1075 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,418 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

Ideally you can at least bump up Mejia's trade value.  At some point we're going to have to trade something to improve the offense.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1076 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,112 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

Nice bounce back win

Still trying to figure out Ike's idiotic bunt attempt considering he already tried it earlier in the AB. Pretty much everyone was ready for it.

Bring on expanded replay. Young had a legitimate beef, he was clearly safe at 2nd and the ump had a good angle...maybe he's one of those "well the ball beat you so you're out even if you're safe" umps.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1077 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

I don't think he's a waste of time; are we forgetting the team is out of the playoff race and in a rebuild? What do they have to lose toying around with a former top pitching prospect that still has a good arm and is quite young? It's easy to forget he's just 23. I have almost zero expectations with him as a starter, but it doesn't hurt to get a look at him in some role, even if it's the bullpen after the spot start.

One thing to keep in mind is that if he spends 20 non-rehab days in the minors this year, he burns his final option and thus would need to make the team next spring in order to avoid being put on waivers. Keeping him up, or at least out of the minors for 20 days, would preserve that final option another year and allow the team to freely send him down next season, if need be.

I didn't say he WAS a waste of time...I said he SEEMS like a waste of time...I'm sure there were Blue Jay fans who saw Al Leiter pitch 49 major-league innings from 1989-92, saw him put up a very meh 1994 after a decent 1993 and thought "Why are we still bothering with this guy?"  I mentioned Leiter specifically, for a reason.  No, "we" haven't forgotten one bit where the Mets are...if I had, I would want them to keep Byrd.  It's nice that the Mets are 19-12 in their last 31 GP, but it's extremely doubtful that they'll continue to play .613 ball the rest of the season, and even if they did, that would give them 84 wins for the season.  It would make for a great feel-good story (especially after being 25-40), but 84 wins wouldn't get them into the playoffs.  I understand completely why the Mets are bringing Mejia up, and I agree fully with 4978 in that he could up his value if he pitches well enough and looks like he can actually stay healthy.  If I'm the Mets, I probably bring him up too, but I'm not going to be one bit surprised if he goes on the DL within a month or two with a sore elbow, bad shoulder, etc.   

I know Mejia is 23 years old, but it's like I said, the guy seems like he's going to be an injury-plagued flameout.  I REALLY hope he pitches well enough (or remains healthy enough) to draw interest from another team.  I think the Mets are crazy if he's anything more than a minor piece their long-term plans. 

Hell of a run for Carlos Torres...and the sad part of it is there's a part of me that wonders what's behind it.  Not saying he's done anything wrong, but it sucks that a fan can't help but see someone have some out-of-nowhere success (even a small sample) and almost immediately think to himself "hmmmmmmmmm..."  

#30 FOREVER!

#1078 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

Not saying he's done anything wrong, but it sucks that a fan can't help but see someone have some out-of-nowhere success (even a small sample) and almost immediately think to himself "hmmmmmmmmm..."  

Not sure what you're hinting at here but you can tell Torres is purely a deception guy; funky delivery and hides the ball well, throws tons of cutters, fastball velocity is average. He's actually missing quite a lot of bats right now (10.3% swinging strike rate), which is a great sign even in a small sample. The biggest shift from his career numbers is the walk rate. We're still only talking about 28 innings here but he's at least mildly intriguing; I would keep running him out there every 5th day; why not? If everything collapses you can put him back in the bullpen where he looked even better. The Mets control him for awhile too so he could turn out to be a decent 'find' in a bullpen that needs more dirt-cheap quality relievers.

Edited by nmigliore, 24 July 2013 - 08:35 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1079 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

I was referring to steroids, HGH, whatever...was saying that it kinda sucks for honest ballplayers, in that today's game, when a guy who has not much major league success finally has some out of nowhere, even if it's only 28 innings or one hot month, there's a moment where you wonder if the guy who's enjoying his sudden improvement didn't do something illegal to get there...even if the thought crosses your mind for only a second.  I can understand why the non-juicing players get pissed off because of the "possibly guilty, just because" viewpoint.

For the record, I don't think Torres is up to anything.

And yeah, give him the rest of the year in the majors, no matter what the role.  He looks like he could be a cost-effective diamond-in-the-rough.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 24 July 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1080 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

Man, baseball is so dead to me... I don't even know how it happened. I don't think it's just because the Mets haven't been good, I haven't been following baseball at all. I remember the first time I joined here I made the original Mets "Playoff Push" thread in the locker room. 

Still read this thread daily and miss talking with you guys but for the life of me I can't figure out why I just cannot sit through a baseball game anymore. Maybe just getting older and not having the time for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users