1814 replies to this topic

#1241 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

Well Parnell is now on the DL with a herniated disk...which he apparently got from sleeping on a bad hotel pillow.

very weird.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1242 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

Ha, Ike continues his on-base madness: 4 PA, 4 times on base tonight. Also made a superb diving catch in foul territory to bail out Hawkins in the 9th. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1243 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:55 AM

Ike's numbers since coming back:

71 AB, 20 H, 7 2B, 0 3B, 1 HR, 9 RBI, 21 BB, 19 K, 3-3 in SB attempts (?!), .282 BA, .446 OB%

Great stuff if Ike was a leadoff hitter/speedy type, and if was primarily his job to get on base, at all costs.  But Ike also needs to be hitting home runs and driving guys in.  He's not really doing that (it feels like he's left a small city's worth of runners on the basepaths), which is why the above doesn't feel nearly as impressive as it should.

That being said, there's very clearly silver linings to Ike's performance, beyond the obvious: 

1) He's by far and away the best defensive first baseman the Mets have. 

2) Before Ike was sent down, pitchers had little trouble getting Ike to get himself out on pitches out of the strike zone.  The terrific BB-to-K ratio shows that, if that's still the book on Ike, it's not really working at the moment.  That should mean he will see better pitches to hit sooner rather than later, which should hopefully lead to some dingers. 

I don't envy the Mets right now...Ike's last two seasons are as maddening as they get, especially when trying to plan the future of your team.  Which Ike is the real Ike?  It feels like the Mets are damned if they do, damned if they don't, with how they choose to handle him.  It wouldn't surprise me if they kept him and he went back to sucking AGAIN in 2014, and it wouldn't surprise if the Mets non-tendered him, and he went somewhere else and became a consistently pretty good player.  Either way, the Mets will be criticized when they probably don't deserve it, in this case. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 07 August 2013 - 05:56 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1244 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:34 AM

96 pitches in 5.1 IP for Mejia yesterday, after throwing 96 in 6 IP in his last game.  And now his bone spurs are bothering him.  Hopefully, if the Mets envision him as part of the future (if the guy can actually stay healthy), they'll shut him down sooner than later, and get those bone spurs taken care of...at the very least, he's shown enough in his three starts to at least be in the discussion of who pitches in the 2014 rotation.  Like nmig has pointed out, the Mets can bring Jacob deGrom up if Mejia is shut down...his AA/AAA numbers this season are pretty meh, and at 25 he's not a kid (drafted out of college), but now's as good a time as any to find out if deGrom can get major league hitters out.  If Mejia is 100% at the start of spring training, I'm guessing Hef will be the clear odd man out, unless someone gets hurt (clearly a distinct possibility). 

This is probably the Mets rotation in 2014, if all goes according to plan: 

Harvey

Wheeler

Niese

Gee

Mejia/Montero/Hef

Wouldn't surprise me if Montero gets moved in part of a package for an outfielder this offseason, especially with Syndergaard not too far behind him in development, and looking like he has more upside...Syndergaard is tearing up AA and will likely get a nice look in spring training, though I'm guessing he'd really have to impress to have a shot at pitching himself into the Mets' early 2014 plans (earlier than a mid- or late-season call-up, anyway). 

It wouldn't surprise me if the Mets tried to get a team to take Hef in a package as well...I'm guessing they're probably thinking they've gotten more out of Hef than they possibly could've dreamed, and aren't really sure how much value he would have as a bullpen guy going forward.  The problem with that is I don't think other teams will see Hef as anything more than a throw-in, especially if his tough second half continues.     

Maybe the Mets try to shop Montero/Hef/Flores + one other player for an established outfielder.  Who the one other player would be, I don't know, but I DO know it's not going to be someone that the other team doesn't want...not a Duda/Valdespin/Satin/Tejada type (Yankee fans would expect to trade all four of these plus two other players no one wants for another team's best player)...it'd have to be someone who could help a team right away, even if he's far from great (like a Daniel Murphy-type...not saying Murph specifically in this case).  I'm guessing instead of Hef, the other team will ask for Syndergaard; Mets maybe counter with Niese (signed to a reasonable deal, but the only lefty in the Mets' rotation), or Gee (inconsistent within seasons, but has shown the ability to pitch well for extended periods).  I usually don't like playing GM, but I have a feeling Sandy's going to have a hell of a time completing a deal for an elite outfielder without other teams asking for Wheeler and or/Syndergaard right off the bat.        

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 07 August 2013 - 06:43 AM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1245 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:10 AM

Mejia was in a great groove until the home plate umpire took a ball to the throat and they had to switch home plate umpires, causing a pretty lengthy delay. It's only three starts, but I've been very impressed with him so far: 18.1 IP, 18 K, 3 BB, 60.4 GB%, 12.8% swinging strike rate. Even in such a limited sample, those groundball and swinging strike rates are excellent. I don't think his control is nearly this good, so hopefully he keeps missing some bats and keeping the ball on the ground. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1246 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

BTW, the schedule is about to get rough:  an 10-game West Coast trip, starting on Thursday, with an off-day eaten up by having to go to Minnesota to play a make-up game that will probably have less than 10k in attendance.  11 games in 11 days in four cities, then two at home against the Braves before they get an off-day.

Interestingly enough, as of today, the three WC teams the Mets face on this trip all have roughly the same home record:  Arizona is 31-24, LA is 31-25, and SD is 31-26.  Mets have a 27-28 road record. 

I would love a 6-5 trip, but I'm thinking 5-6 or 4-7 is more likely...I have a feeling this one's going to be a tough one. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1247 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

After getting his first Major League hit earlier in the game, Flores breaks the game open with a bases-clearing double in the 8th, 5-0 Mets!! Harvey at just 91 pitches, let's see him go for the CG shutout!!

Edited by nmigliore, 07 August 2013 - 08:21 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1248 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

sh!t. Right off of Harveys knee.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#1249 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

He's fine. COMPLETE GAME SHUTOUT BABY!

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1250 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

And oddly enough he doesn't seem affected by it at all

#1251 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

Harvey's numbers continue to be ridiculous.  He's now walked 1 batter and struck out 31 in his last four starts.  10.03 K and 1.63 BB per 9 IP.  .190 BAA.  0.86 WHIP.   

Maddening that he has just 12 wins in 33 career starts...man it would've been nice if Sandy was the slightest bit motivated to put together a team that had a chance to compete this season.  So many terrific Harvey starts flat-out wasted. 

Interestingly enough, the other guy who has been as ridiculously dominant as Harvey (the Dodger's Kershaw) is only 10-7 in 24 starts. 

The Cy Young really should come down to those two pitchers (unless one or both of them struggle down the stretch), but the voters tend to misinterpret what the Cy Young Award is supposed to be.  It's supposed to be awarded to the best pitcher, end of story.  Unfortunately, some voters think of it more as an MVP for pitchers, or will dock a guy like Harvey, who's stuck pitching on a bad team through no fault of his own, points for not pitching in "pressure" games as the season comes to a close.  How is that Harvey's problem?  And does anyone really have any doubts that Harvey would likely pitch well against just about anyone right now, whether or not his team was in a race? 

It's not Kershaw's nor Harvey's fault that their teams don't support them offensively...the fact is that these two pitchers have been THE best pitchers in their league this season.  Kershaw's been a hair better.  It's still too early to call, and there's other guys who can still get in the race, but I really hope the voters get this right.

The game has changed a lot.  Walks are down, Ks are up, and pitchers are really taking control of the game.  It's reminding me of baseball in the 80s, though the overall physiques of the players today remains more impressive than those of their 80s counterparts (players seemed to want to have nothing to do with weight rooms back then...the guys who were "big" seemed to be naturally so).  If this is a result of steroids having a reduced presence in the game, or a nice crop of talented pitching coming up, whatever...I'm just glad that I'm not watching 3.5-4 hr games where pitchers are clearly afraid to throw strikes...the much-improved BB rate among pitchers shows that the "nibble and hope they swing days" of the Roid Era are a thing of the past. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1252 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

Yeah right now it looks like a 2-horse race between Harvey and Kershaw. Wainwright is highly deserving of being up there -- he actually has a better park-adjusted FIP than Kershaw over the same amount of innings (and thus tops him in fWAR) -- but the traditional numbers will knock him down from Harvey/Kershaw's level (he's "only" 6th in the NL in ERA). And if we're being fair, just using FIP wouldn't give Kershaw enough justice anyway, as he's proven to be a BABIP-suppressor over his career, which makes ERA a better indicator of his true talent.

As of today, Kershaw would definitely win it and he'd probably be my choice as well, but it's close. 

Edited by nmigliore, 08 August 2013 - 07:46 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1253 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

It's Kershaw heading into the final turn.  It's funny, for a while now it seems like whenever Harvey's ERA is about to drop below 2.00, he gives up a few runs. 

He's the closest thing the Mets have had to a young Gooden since...well, since they had a young Gooden.  Cone had that out-of-nowhere terrific '88 season, and Dickey was a blast to watch last season, but no one had that "Wow, gotta see HIS start!" presence like Gooden did, even though he was never as electric as he was in his first two seasons...I'm sure Seaver had that too, but his best days as a Met were before I was born and when I was a toddler. 

But I wonder how long it will last with Harvey.  For one, he was NEVER projected to be this good.  And though everyone is different, guys who appear to be unhittable can become much more so quickly...sadly Gooden showed us this, though his off-the-field problems clearly affected his performance.  Lincecum is only 29 and it looks like his best days are already well behind him.  That's why when people say things like "The Mets have found their ace for the next 10 years", who the hell really knows? 

That's why I hope Passive becomes aggressive and really goes for it in the next couple of years.  Who knows if Harvey will still be Harvey when he's 28 or so?   

#30 FOREVER!

#1254 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

That's also why pitchers are just maddening in general; they can get hurt (take a look at Brandon Webb's career, such a shame), they can randomly lose velocity (Lincecum); their performance in general can be more volatile than hitters. There's just so much attrition there. The Mets appear to have hit the jackpot on Harvey but this is why I remain completely open to moving the likes of Zack Wheeler, Rafael Montero, and/or Noah Syndergaard for an established MLB bat(s). 

Edited by nmigliore, 08 August 2013 - 10:19 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1255 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

That's what worries me about Harvey...a lot of what he's doing is velocity-related, in that his pitches come at such different speeds.  The guy throws just as hard at the end of games as he does in the beginning...it's scary. 

Syndergaard intrigues me the most...for some reason he's the guy I'd like to see the Mets keep, out of the three.  Overall, re: Wheeler, still so early, but I could see him never quite putting it all together...not saying he's going to suck, but I could see him never reaching expectations...or being a late-bloomer, a guy who puts in 5-6 "meh", up-and-down, around .500ish seasons, then all of a sudden seems to figure it out.  Let's face it, I touched on it in a previous post, but I think if Mets fans think the team is going to get better in the outfield by hanging on to ALL of their pitching prospects, they're mistaken.  And guys like Niese/Gee/Hefner aren't going to be enough...I'm guessing a potential trade partner will want one of Wheeler/Montero/Syndergaard, then two other players (a good major-leaguer and a second-tier prospect), and maybe something else.   

#30 FOREVER!

#1256 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

Ike Davis is now at .199.  Could .200 be in his future?

#30 FOREVER!

#1257 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

nmig, remember earlier this season, when Gee's velocity was down?  Since he's been pitching better as of late (2.55 ERA in his last 12 starts, coming into today's game), just wondering, since I haven't looked it up...did he get his velocity back?

#30 FOREVER!

#1258 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,566 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

Only 79 pitches through 7 innings for Gee.  ERA is now down to 3.84 for the season.  Who would've guessed his ERA would've been a half-run lower than Hef's at this point? 

#30 FOREVER!

#1259 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

nmig, remember earlier this season, when Gee's velocity was down?  Since he's been pitching better as of late (2.55 ERA in his last 12 starts, coming into today's game), just wondering, since I haven't looked it up...did he get his velocity back?

Yeah it went up, actually peaked nearly 1.5 mph in June (compared to April) but since July has been more around 1 mph up from April. 

This chart shows it pretty well, see the grey and black trends at the top:

gee_velocity.png

Edited by nmigliore, 08 August 2013 - 01:31 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1260 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

What a ridiculous move by TC to pull Gee.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users