1814 replies to this topic

#1261 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,734 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

That's good...I think based on his being hot and his general track record, and Hef kind of being a "What the hell" guy that worked out for a while, Gee's probably going into next season with a starting slot to lose, while Hef goes in on the outside looking in.  He's probably going to lose his spot to Niese soon enough, unless the Mets decide to shut down Mejia. 

Rice with a four-pitch walk...frak.

Collins is SUCH an amateur...he'll leave guys in when they're gassed and take them out when they're still going strong.  Gee was at 87 pitches. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 08 August 2013 - 01:42 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1262 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

That inning was some horrible managing. There was no reason to pull Gee and by going to Rice TC walked right into the dreaded Tulo/Rice matchup (Rice is about as useless as one can be versus right-handed batters). Then he goes to Aardsma, who has the worst FIP and 2nd worst xFIP among Met relievers with at least 20 IP this season. 

He was bailed out, thankfully, but oof, horrible stuff there.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1263 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,734 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

Only 211 pitches needed by the Mets to win the past two games.  Team ERA is now down to 3.73.  Sounds really good, until you look in the NL team ERA standings and see that it's average.  The worst team ERA in the NL belongs to the Rockies, and at 4.33, it's not really bad, considering where they play half of their games. 

Not that much different in the AL either...only Houston (4.93) is by-themselves bad.

Nice to see normal baseball again...right now it feels like the game is balanced.

BTW, the major league ERA by season since 2000:

2000  4.76

2001  4.41

2002  4.27

2003  4.40

2004  4.46

2005  4.28

2006  4.52

2007  4.46

2008  4.32

2009  4.31

2010  4.07

2011  3.94

2012  4.01

2013  3.88 

2010-13 is where it should be.  Not sure what the league ERAs were before 2000...couldn't find that info anywhere.  I would love to see how the league ERA rose through the 90s though (as I'm sure it did).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 08 August 2013 - 03:16 PM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1264 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

1990  3.86

1991  3.91

1992  3.75

1993  4.19

1994  4.51

1995  4.45

1996  4.61

1997  4.39

1998  4.43

1999  4.71

http://www.baseball-...-pitching.shtml

The rise between '92 and '94 is staggering.  It spiked again after '98.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 08 August 2013 - 04:57 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1265 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

1992 and 1998 were expansion years, which probably explains the spike.

Edited by Daniel, 08 August 2013 - 05:16 PM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1266 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

Kind of amazing the Mets are tied with the Nats in the loss column for 2nd place (and have a better run differential), especially considering what the team looked like in early June, granted it says more about Washington than the Mets. The Mets are on pace to win about 75 win games, which was a pretty fair preseason projection, maybe slightly optimistic (I had them down as a 72-win team, see first page of this thread). The Nats are on a 77ish win pace though, which is like 15 wins off the expectations for them entering the season. 

The Phillies' demise is not in the least bit shocking, and frankly, they're lucky to even be where they are. They have the 3rd worst run differential in baseball, ahead of just the lowly Astros and Marlins. They've played more like a 47-66 team than a 51-62 one.

Edited by nmigliore, 08 August 2013 - 06:48 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1267 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

1990  3.86

1991  3.91

1992  3.75

1993  4.19

1994  4.51

1995  4.45

1996  4.61

1997  4.39

1998  4.43

1999  4.71

http://www.baseball-...-pitching.shtml

The rise between '92 and '94 is staggering.  It spiked again after '98.

1994 might've been the first year they tried juicing the baseballs. Wasn't just the players....

Edited by '7', 08 August 2013 - 08:05 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1268 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,734 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 05:52 AM

Kind of amazing the Mets are tied with the Nats in the loss column for 2nd place (and have a better run differential), especially considering what the team looked like in early June, granted it says more about Washington than the Mets. The Mets are on pace to win about 75 win games, which was a pretty fair preseason projection, maybe slightly optimistic (I had them down as a 72-win team, see first page of this thread). The Nats are on a 77ish win pace though, which is like 15 wins off the expectations for them entering the season. 

The Phillies' demise is not in the least bit shocking, and frankly, they're lucky to even be where they are. They have the 3rd worst run differential in baseball, ahead of just the lowly Astros and Marlins. They've played more like a 47-66 team than a 51-62 one.

Hard to believe that Davey Johnson survives this...the Nats were hugely disappointing.

Mets are 27-20 since that 25-40 low point.  They have 50 games left.  Amazingly, if they can continue to win at about the same pace as they have in their last 47 games, they can finish the season with a .500 record (they have to go 29-21 to do it).  That would also give them a record of 56-41 in the season's last 97 games.  That would translate to about a 94-win season over 162 games.

Look, not saying this will happen...they have a bitch of a trip starting tonight, and if they finish it 6-5, they'll have done a hell of a job.  It's kind of hard to entertain any of the above until seeing where they stand after the trip is over.   

#30 FOREVER!

#1269 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

Davey is gone no matter what, this is his final year managing before taking some kind of consultant/special adviser role with the team. 

This is going to be a pretty tough stretch of games. In addition to the west coast trip, they'll come home and face the Braves and Tigers, two of the best teams in baseball, over 5 games.

Edited by nmigliore, 09 August 2013 - 07:39 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1270 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,734 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

Big start for Hef tonight.  Niese will probably be back soon (just pitched 5 innings for AA Binghamton on 8/6), and with Mejia pitching well in his first three starts, Hef is the mostly likely to lose his spot, at least for now.  Maybe he gets more starts if the Mets decide to shut down Harvey, Wheeler, or Mejia in September (I think the innings limit on Harvey was 215...he's at 159.2 right now through 23 starts...since he averages a shade below 7 IP per start, that would give him eight more starts before he reaches that limit.  Not sure what Wheeler's limit is, but he's at 119.1 minors/majors combined, and suffice it to say a Wheeler inning tends to be more labored than a Harvey inning.  And of course Mejia has his bone chips.)   

Last two weeks of the season could be ugly if the Mets decide to play it safe with their future arms...could be seeing Chris Schwinden and those types getting a start here and there...Torres and deGrom probably get a start or two as well.  Can't say it will bother me in the slightest though, if the Mets go that angle...I can suffer through two tough final weeks in 2013 knowing that 2014 should be at least be competitive from Opening Day to season's end.  The Mets have at least been pretty entertaining from that 25-40 start on.   

#30 FOREVER!

#1271 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

They are keeping the 6-man rotation with Niese returning so I don't think Hefner is in any trouble just yet. I'm sure things can change, but they seem committed to keeping Harvey and Wheeler's workload down. Plus, despite his rough stretch, Hefner still has the best K/BB ratio and xFIP among non-Harvey starters (excluding Mejia for sample size reasons). Even in that rough month of July he put up a 3-to-1 K/BB, mostly being undone by the longball. Again, I'm more inclined to view him as a good swingman/#6 starter than rotation stable, but he's managed to be the only non-Harvey starter to put up an xFIP below 4 this season. 

I'm intrigued to see Niese. He was able to maintain his good groundball tendencies but his strikeout and walk rates were way off what you'd normally expect from him; after posting a 3.15 K/BB across 2011-2012, he was down to 1.48 this year. I wouldn't mind the Mets just shutting him down if his velocity is down and/or he gets battered around. Really no reason to screw with his shoulder, better to have a full offseason of rest than try and prove anything over the final 2 months of 2013.

Edited by nmigliore, 09 August 2013 - 08:12 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1272 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,734 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

That's Hef's weakness...longballs.  I'm hoping he gets the rest of the season to start...I think he's earned it, and it might be the only season is his major-league career that he gets to be a starting pitcher wire-to-wire.  I'm not a big fan of six-man rotations, but at least that would give Harvey and Wheeler a better chance to get deeper into September without getting reaching their innings limits. 

I would shut down Mejia sooner than later, and yeah, if Niese has a couple of rough starts, don't screw around, shut him down too.  Means the rotation will see the deGroms and lesser names, but like I've said, only temporary.    

#30 FOREVER!

#1273 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:31 PM

Well that does it. Hefner should be out of the rotation like RIGHT NOW. All downhill from the double to the god damn pitcher in the 5th. Of course Terry sticks too long with him. He was getting tagged (but lucky early on) all game.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#1274 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:50 PM

Did Lagares really need that triple? JUST STOP AT 2ND YOU IDIOT

#1275 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,734 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

Well that does it. Hefner should be out of the rotation like RIGHT NOW. All downhill from the double to the god damn pitcher in the 5th. Of course Terry sticks too long with him. He was getting tagged (but lucky early on) all game.

In fairness, the Mets have a long trip with no off-days...I can understand trying to squeeze a few more outs out of Hef, to try to save the bullpen.  You can argue that Harvey's CG and Gee's long outing probably had the bullpen reasonably rested though.   

It's sad...Hef's numbers have been awful since the ASB...I think this was the Hef we were all expecting to see from the beginning of the year.  As long as we remember that he was never a future piece here, and that he actually gave the Mets far more than they had any right to expect, it's kind of hard to get on him too much; that being said, I don't think he really should get more than one more start, unless someone else in the rotation gets hurt or shut down.  Niese is coming back, and like nmig said, the Mets should get deGrom a few starts before the season's out.  We already know that Harvey, Wheeler, and Niese are locks to be in the rotation next season.  Gee probably is too, if he's not traded as part of a package for outfield help.  Then you've got Montero, Syndergaard, Mejia, and deGrom.  Hef bridged the gap pretty well (he held onto his job through mid-August...would any of us have thought that back in April?), but the Mets really aren't going to have any use for him shortly.  nmig thinks he can be a decent swingman-type, but I'm starting to think the lightning's escaped from the bottle.  Too bad...I always enjoy guys who exceed expectations. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1276 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

Nice, well pitched game by Wheeler. NO WALKS

Mets relievers did a nice job working out of trouble in the late innings. Great job by Feliciano getting out of that bases loaded jam. Torres was a fvcking ticking time bomb tonight, glad they got him outta there before he blew it.

Flores with some more big RBI's.

Ike over .200! He's doing everything except hitting it out of the ballpark

#1277 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,734 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:09 AM

Solid start by Wheeler, but I really would like to see him induce more swings and misses...hitters foul off a lot of balls against him.  Even with no walks, Wheeler still threw a lot of pitches...106 in 6.1 IP.  Two more indicators of Zack's incredibly good fortune:  very low BABIP (.258) and 80.7% of the runners who've reached base against him have been stranded. 

Hard to believe this, but Ike Davis now has a better OB% than Daniel Murphy (.317 to .310).  Really hoping the Mets find a way to upgrade over Murph... .310 is just not good enough for an everyday player at the top of the lineup.  And yeah, Keith said it perfectly yesterday...Davis needs to start hitting home runs and needs to start driving runs in too...it's nice that he's getting on base at a ridiculous rate, but it's not really his job to get to first base any way possible.  He has just 9 RBI since coming back, and 3 of them came on that garbage-time home run (the only one he's hit since coming back).  But it's kind of hard to believe that he's NOT going to improve in the HR/RBI categories eventually...and he's at least hitting some doubles (though some have been lucky). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 11 August 2013 - 06:16 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1278 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

Solid start by Wheeler, but I really would like to see him induce more swings and misses...hitters foul off a lot of balls against him.  Even with no walks, Wheeler still threw a lot of pitches...106 in 6.1 IP.  Two more indicators of Zack's incredibly good fortune:  very low BABIP (.258) and 80.7% of the runners who've reached base against him have been stranded. 

Yep, just 5 swinging strikes last night. To me, that is the most concerning aspect of his game; we knew the walks would be there as his control is clearly still a work in progress, but his strikeout and swinging strike rates are below average.

re: Murphy - yeah a .310 OBP doesn't belong at the top of a lineup, but his overall offense has been exactly league average once you adjust for the fact half of his games are in Citi Field. If you look at the 2B leaderboard since 2012, Murphy ranks 9th in wRC+, tied with Ian Kinsler at 101. His defense hasn't rated too well in that time frame but it looks better once you split up 2012 and 2013, where the improvement seems evident:

2012: -12 DRS, -10.2 UZR

2013: -5 DRS, +1.9 UZR

I feel like I've been saying it for awhile but Murphy is what he is; he's going to give you league average-ish offense, and as long as his glove is passable, he's an acceptable regular. I know he's not very exciting since he lacks power, doesn't walk, and is just average-at-best defensively, but he makes it work.

Edited by nmigliore, 11 August 2013 - 09:51 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1279 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,734 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

Re:  Wheeler, I don't think he's going to be as advertised.  That doesn't mean he won't be a good major-league starter, and he can still be a #2 here.  But I don't see a guy who's going to be unhittable and dominating game in and game out, the way Harvey has been.  I think he'll improve with the walks, but I don't know how much...maybe he gets down to about 3 BB per 9 IP.  I think across the board, he'll put up solidly good numbers, but again, not like the across the board GREAT numbers that Harvey does.  If the Mets get some bats in the lineup and can score 4+ runs for Wheeler consistently (and be able to provide 3 solid innings of relief for him), solidly good might be good enough for Wheeler anyway. 

I think Murph is an acceptable regular on a very good team, where his doesn't need major contributions from him...basically, he'd be good on a stacked AL team, batting towards the bottom of the lineup.

I was bringing up Murph more as a comparison/segueway into Davis...as bad as Davis was for SO long, it's amazing that he's now ahead of Murph in OB%.  I agree in that Murph is what he is...about as average as it gets in everything, and not really good (or terrible) at anything.  If the guy could just hit in the .320s, it would offset so much of his "meh" factor...suddenly the OB% would be around .350, and for a second-place hitter I could live with that, especially since Murph has a great attitude...it would make his intangibles more important.  But the Mets need to find guys who can get on the damned basepaths in front of Wright and whoever's hitting after him...Murphy flat-out doesn't do that, and it doesn't look like he ever will, except for those two or three-week hot streaks he goes on a few times a year.

The reason I think the Mets need to upgrade is that I don't ever think they'll drop him to 7th (where he probably should be)...I think as long as he's here, when everyone else is healthy, he's the #2 hitter in the lineup, seemingly by default.  If he was a defensive whiz at second, maybe I could live with it...but like everything else, he's average.

I'll always commend him in that I think he worked hard to get every last bit out of his talent.  He just doesn't have that much of it.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 11 August 2013 - 10:27 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1280 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

Wow Hefner demoted for Niese. 6-man rotation scratched per Sandy.

Edit: sounds like he could land on the DL with an elbow injury.

Edited by nmigliore, 11 August 2013 - 01:20 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users