1814 replies to this topic

#1281 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,224 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

Had a feeling that last start was an important one for Hef, though I'm guessing even if he had pitched well, he was going to lose his spot anyway.  Pretty much tells you what you need to know, re:  how the Mets view Hef.  If he figured into 2014, I don't think he gets dumped so quickly.  They probably feel like they got all they're going to out of him.   

I guess the Mets are looking to shut down Harvey and Wheeler in mid-September by design, maybe to get a look at some other arms...if Mejia stays healthy, he'll keep taking his turn.  deGrom can get a start or two, maybe Torres gets one (not sure why, seems like his future with the Mets is out of the 'pen).  Not sure who else they'd give "let's see what they've got" starts to.  

5 more scoreless innings for Syndergaard.   ERA now down to 1.76 in nine AA starts.

Montero has now turned in 4 straight QS for AAA Vegas.  27 IP, 17 H, 7 ER, 8 BB, and 21 K.  He's only given up 2 ER in his last two starts (15 IP).  He might get a start or two for the Mets as well, if there's a rotation spot open. 

Gotta think these two get a shot this spring...an extended look, at the very least. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 11 August 2013 - 01:36 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1282 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,224 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

Niese having a rough time so far.  Gotta admit, I worry about his future.  Guy has never thrown 200 innings in a season and may simply not be able to hold up from season to season.  Last season was an aberration in a lot of ways...his WHIPs have been pretty poor for most of his career.  He might be better served being a #5 next season...Mets could skip his turn from time to time, give him extra days here and there.  I think the Mets shouldn't plan on him being anything more than a #4 going forward.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1283 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,224 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

Two more walks for Ike.  Gary Cohen saying same thing I did...time for teams to adjust to the new Ike.  Guy simply doesn't swing at pitches outside of the strike zone anymore. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1284 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,224 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

BTW Hefner apparently has been having elbow issues and may be headed to the DL.  Funny with all of the pitch-counting and babying that goes one, pitchers seem to get hurt just as much as they always have. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1285 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:17 PM

Ike on base for the 8th straight time, 24th time in last 31 PA.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1286 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,224 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

If only Ike had speed...he'd be a great leadoff hitter...at least right now.  22 BB in his last 16 GP.  And has yet to drive in a run this month, despite going 10-for-19 with 5 doubles and 14 BB for August.    

#30 FOREVER!

#1287 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:47 PM

If only Ike had speed...he'd be a great leadoff hitter...at least right now.  22 BB in his last 16 GP.  And has yet to drive in a run this month, despite going 10-for-19 with 5 doubles and 14 BB for August.    

More worried about where the homeruns went, granted, it's at least refreshing to see Ike doing something positive at the plate for the first time this year. 

Edited by nmigliore, 11 August 2013 - 05:50 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1288 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:11 PM

First ML homerun for Flores, congrats! Hit it to a young Mets fan too!

Edited by nmigliore, 11 August 2013 - 06:12 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1289 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,224 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:13 PM

6 IP, 4 ER, and a lot of luck for Niese today.  Only walked one and did manage to pitch 6 innings though.  Could've been a lot worse. 

Nice first week for Flores...some big hits and has only struck out once.  9 RBI too...nice to have runners on base to drive in. 

Good thing that the Mets started off the trip 2-1...now they can still have a shot at a decent trip if the Dodgers sweep.  Good news is that the Mets avoid Kershaw, and have Harvey going in the second game of the series.  I think the Mets actually have a shot to take two against the Dodgers, but I'd happily settle for one.  3-3 through the first 6 games of a tough trip is nothing to sneeze at.

It seems like whenever the Mets get to within 7 games of .500, they fall back a little...they have gotten there a couple of times...still, now 29-21 in their last 50 GP.  A .580 winning%.  A 27-20 record actually gets this team to .500.  Not saying it will or should happen, but the fact that we can actually TALK about it even being a possibility in August is a nice step forward. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1290 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,854 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

When Ike starts hitting for power, maybe you can get excited. Having a good OBP and a great glove are pluses. But you need him to hit 30 homers and drive in 100 to stick. At least the Mets have a bright future with Harvey, Wheeler, Flores, Syndergaard and Soriano. Plus Familia. Lot of plus arms. Maybe they trade for a bat at some point. Lagares has nice speed. I guess you'll see about d'Arnaud.

Edited by Derek21, 11 August 2013 - 08:03 PM.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#1291 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,224 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:23 AM

When Ike starts hitting for power, maybe you can get excited. Having a good OBP and a great glove are pluses. But you need him to hit 30 homers and drive in 100 to stick. At least the Mets have a bright future with Harvey, Wheeler, Flores, Syndergaard and Soriano. Plus Familia. Lot of plus arms. Maybe they trade for a bat at some point. Lagares has nice speed. I guess you'll see about d'Arnaud.

Ike has a .482 OB% since coming back.  That almost sounds goofy.  But like I've said, it's not Ike's job to keep getting to first base any way possible, and leave it up to Wilmer Flores to drive in runs...it's working for the moment, and if you're a sabes guy, you think that anyone and everyone can drive in runs, as long as there's guys to drive in, that it's not really a skill.  But we all know why Ike is in the lineup, and it's not to be an OB%-machine...he's supposed to be a run producer.  For all of this OB-craziness (.706 for August), he has not driven in a run since July 26.  This may very well be THE oddest small sample I have even seen from a major-leaguer.  Right now, he'd actually be terrific as the second guy in the lineup, but no way will Collins bat him there.   

Here's how I see Ike:  the league doesn't seem to be buying into Ike's new approach yet, and I'm sure some teams think this is all a fluke, that Ike will soon start getting himself out again on breaking pitches out of the strike zone.  I can understand that, but if Ike can stay as locked in to NOT going after those pitches, pitchers are going to have to start giving him more stuff to hit.  It's a teeny-tiny sample, but Wilmer Flores' early success (if it can continue) will help Ike start seeing dead-red strikes.  It's then that I want to see what Ike does, if the homers start coming.  Keith had a good point, re: Ike's newfound OB-abilities...said that even though yes, he's getting on base at an absurd rate, he's fouling off good pitch-to-hits, then drawing his walks...yeah, ultimately he's winding up at first base (and walks are NOT as good as hits, in that they don't drive runners home unless the bases are loaded, or move runners along unless one is at first base already), but if Ike was driving the hittable pitches instead of fouling them off, he could be hitting doubles, home runs, moving runners along.  He should start seeing more hittable pitches soon. 

Yeah, the OB% thing is a massive improvement for a guy who practically couldn't get on base at all before he was sent down, and he's got a .305 BA to go with the .482 OB%, and a 28 BB-to-23 K ratio...it's almost like he's trying to turn himself into John Olerud (who was a brilliant Met in his three years here).  That guy was an on-base beast too...really could do it all.  He drew 306 walks and struck out just 206 times in his three Met seasons.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 12 August 2013 - 06:27 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1292 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:49 PM

What a disaster Murphy has been defensively in the 6th

What a disaster EVERYBODY has been defensively in this inning, Mistiming everything. Not being able to field anything. fvcking disgrace. It's enough that the Dodgers are good, but when they're this lucky it's just unfair

Edited by '7', 12 August 2013 - 10:51 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1293 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:15 PM

Man are the Mets getting jobbed in the 6th. Clear check swing on 2-0...nope called strike 1. Clear ball 4...nope sack of crap Chad Fairchild calls strike 3 on a pitch that's been a ball all day

Terry needs to get tossed between innings. This human pile of waste behind home plate should get an earful

I know the MLB is loving the Dodgers return to prominence, but they don't need the help. The games must be called fairly. I'm hoping the home plate ump has the good sense to apologize after the game but I'm not holding my breath

Edited by '7', 12 August 2013 - 11:43 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#1294 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,224 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:03 AM

EY has flown under the radar lately, and he did go 2-for-5 yesterday, but suffice it to say he's turning back into the player that the Rockies DFA'd.  In his last 81 AB (dating back to July 19), he has just 18 hits (.196 BA) and has walked 10 times (.274 OB%).  Just three extra-base hits in that time frame (1 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR), and he's also stopped stealing bases (just one in his last 12 GP).  It didn't cost the Mets much of anything to get him (Collin "AAAA" McHugh), and if the Mets want to ride him out the rest of the season, that's fine, but if Sandy thinks that he's found the Mets leadoff hitter of the future (and I worry that he does), he's sadly mistaken.   

I only saw Mediocre Murph not get it done with the bases loaded (did the ball hard, to his credit)...I missed the rest of the game.  Didn't see the calls '7' is referring to.  I hope the Mets don't bring Collins back.  I'll give him credit where it's due...the Mets do play hard for him, and when this team fell to 25-40, they could have mailed it in and finished with 65-70 wins.  And losing Wright hasn't killed them...they're 5-4 since he went down.  Collins has helped to keep the ship from sinking.  But everything about him screams "amateur/guy who couldn't get a job anywhere else".  I think he served his purpose here, that of a caretaker while the prospects developed, and I think it's time to bring in a winner.  Problem is, I have no idea who that is...but I don't think it's Collins.  And yeah, just read about the controversial Lagares strikeout...not saying Collins has to be Earl Weaver, but geez, show a friggin' pulse and get out there and kick some dirt...just because your GM is asleep half the time doesn't mean you have to be.      

Four good starts in a row for Mejia.  Good for him.  Maybe he survives a season someday. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 13 August 2013 - 06:20 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1295 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,224 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:16 AM

d'Arnaud seems ready to rock.  Since coming back up to AAA (4 games), he's 7-for-13 with 3 2B, 1 HR (last night), 3 RBI (also last night), 4 BB and just one K.  I know it's Vegas, land of bloated numbers, but geez, we know Recker has nothing, and Buck is Buck...he's hitting a little more lately (5 for his last 14), but I don't need to see another 7 weeks of Buck.  He had that early-season once-in-a-lifetime (for him) rampage, but get friggin' d'Arnaud up here already.  What do the Mets owe John Buck exactly?

#30 FOREVER!

#1296 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

Well, at least Mejia keeps pitching really well. Defense totally betrayed him in the 6th inning (namely: Murphy). Honestly shocked how efficient his control has been (just 3 walks in 4 starts). 

re: Young - the trade has worked out better than I thought it would but yeah, there's no chance he was going to remain a solution in the outfield. His best case remains a versatile utility player who can switch hit and steal some bases.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1297 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,886 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

d'Arnaud seems ready to rock.  Since coming back up to AAA (4 games), he's 7-for-13 with 3 2B, 1 HR (last night), 3 RBI (also last night), 4 BB and just one K.  I know it's Vegas, land of bloated numbers, but geez, we know Recker has nothing, and Buck is Buck...he's hitting a little more lately (5 for his last 14), but I don't need to see another 7 weeks of Buck.  He had that early-season once-in-a-lifetime (for him) rampage, but get friggin' d'Arnaud up here already.  What do the Mets owe John Buck exactly?

D'Arnaud was major league ready last season...but after the foot injury they've played it super conservative with him. Recker is horrible in every aspect of the game, and while Buck has his moments driving the ball and has had some big hits for us, he's really nothing more than a mindless hacker and a big DP candidate. Plus I can't even remember the last time he hit a home run for us. And he's pretty atrocious framing pitches for our staff. Really looking forward to a more complete catcher in D'Arnaud who can hit for power and average.

I wouldn't mind Buck as a backup next year but I don't see it happening. But despite the low average and obp...buck and recker have produced runs. 74 RBI out of the catchers position a little before mid August is terrific.

Edited by '7', 13 August 2013 - 08:13 AM.

#1298 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:17 AM

Agree on d'Arnaud, I really don't think he has much left to prove, and if not for getting hurt in 2012, he would've almost certainly made his debut then. I feel comfortable penciling him in as a 2014 starter. I'd bring in someone like Jose Molina to be his caddy; he stinks at the plate but is one of the best defensive catchers in baseball, so good that the astute Rays have basically rode him as their primary catcher the last two seasons. I think he'd be a great fit to work with the young pitching staff and help mentor d'Arnaud a bit.

Edited by nmigliore, 13 August 2013 - 08:18 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#1299 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,224 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

D'Arnaud was major league ready last season...but after the foot injury they've played it super conservative with him. Recker is horrible in every aspect of the game, and while Buck has his moments driving the ball and has had some big hits for us, he's really nothing more than a mindless hacker and a big DP candidate. Plus I can't even remember the last time he hit a home run for us. And he's pretty atrocious framing pitches for our staff. Really looking forward to a more complete catcher in D'Arnaud who can hit for power and average.

I wouldn't mind Buck as a backup next year but I don't see it happening. But despite the low average and obp...buck and recker have produced runs. 74 RBI out of the catchers position a little before mid August is terrific.

All things considered, since it was clearly a "hold the fort, bridge the gap" situation, it could have been a lot worse.  But I've seen enough of both of them, and neither one figures to be here next season.  The Mets could still even trade Buck this month (can't see that happening though)...I don't think another team would claim him off waivers.  If the Mets wake up and actually bring up d'Arnaud soon, you could do a lot worse in the mentoring department, re: Buck.  And Buck at least seems like the kind of guy who won't sulk and pout when he loses his job.   

#30 FOREVER!

#1300 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,224 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

Syndergaard's last four starts for AA Binghamton:

21 IP, 9 H, 3 ER, 1 HR, 3 BB, 23 K, 0.57 WHIP 

They've been conservative with him, keeping his innings down (he's gone just five innings in four out of his last five starts, and he went just 6 in the other one, despite only giving up one hit in that game), but this looks like a guy who doesn't have anything left to prove at AA.  He hasn't had so much as a single start there that could be considered bad.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 13 August 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users