1814 replies to this topic

#1321 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,146 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

Outside of the Yankees sweep, the Mets seem to be fantastic at taking the first two and choking the next two in 4-game series this year.

They have, though their offense is down to zilch at this point. They also must lead baseball in walkoff losses (thought they do have their share of walkoff wins) bullpen is slowly crumbling as well.

Can't wait until Quintanilla is outta here. Idiot always plays too deep. So many infield singles against him.

Edited by '7', 18 August 2013 - 06:08 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1322 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

Game over.  Feliciano's kind of been a nice story, and if he stays on the team through the end of this season, fine, but he'd better not be on the team next year.

I give them a mulligan on yesterday...Mejia got hurt, probably screwed the mojo of that one up. 

EY has now been invisible for about a month.  The idea that this guy may be being thought of as the Mets' 2014 LF by Sandy & Co. terrifies me.

Mediocre Murph finally takes a seat...would've been nice if Terry could've pulled the trigger on that one a bit sooner than Game 122...guess he's enamored with Murph's average fielding skills, lack of power, and inability to draw walks.  Classic bad-team starter.

These two are having a God-awful August...EY has a .243 OB%, Murph is at .232.  Each has played every game except one each in August though.  Get the feeling Terry's going to keep running them out there.  We already know how bad the LF alternative will be (Doofus...hell no to him).  Not sure how much Flores will play at second. 

Re:  Can't-anilla...the fact that he's still the Mets everyday shortstop is a major indictment on Tejada.  Omar was never supposed to playing for the Mets for this long...he's not an everyday guy, and it's showing...I think the Mets know this, but they STILL don't want to give Tejada a shot.  This has been a complete disaster of a season for Tejada...he may have played himself out of the Mets' plans. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 18 August 2013 - 06:26 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1323 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:15 AM

deGrom with one of his better starts for AAA yesterday:  6 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K.  He's given up 5 ER in his last 19 IP, covering three starts.  With Mejia hurt, seems like the Mets should give him a start or two, to at least see what he's got.  He's a longshot to ever be a set-in-stone part of the rotation going forward (four spots going into next season are already spoken for in Harvey, Wheeler, Niese and Gee, barring a trade, and Montero and Syndergaard will be knocking on the door...Hef could still be around too...and Mejia is now part of the picture).  This is probably deGrom's best chance to show what he can do, before Montero and Syndergaard deservedly get their chances...it's as good a time as any to find out if deGrom can pitch in the majors...it's clearly crowded here, even though you can never have too much depth, but I'd like to see him get a couple of starts, and some relief appearances, see if he can become a possible swingman/long reliever type...as we've seen many years, inclduing this one, starting pitchers get hurt...in this season alone, Mets have lost Santana, Niese, Hefner, Marcum, and Mejia...and I'm guessing Niese and Mejia are always going to be injury-prone throughout their careers.  The Mets are going to need non-Laffey and non-Torres types (nothing against Torres, just think he should stay in the bullpen), and though some envision Hef as being the guy who can step in case someone gets hurt, I think we may have already seen his best.  It'd be nice to have a couple of bodies to throw out there that you know aren't going to be complete disasters and actually have a chance to keep you in games, when the inevitable injuries crop up.  The Mets might have such a guy in deGrom, but they'll never know if they give his potential starts to a guy like Torres. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 19 August 2013 - 06:20 AM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1324 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:54 AM

DeGrom might be shut down very soon considering he's +29 innings over last year. I agree it makes sense to bring him up, but it really depends on where the org is capping his innings at.

Rosenthal says d'Arnaud is here to stay and will get significant playing time down the stretch:

The Mets have decided Travis d'Arnaud's promotion won't be temporary, Rosenthaltweets. The Mets promoted d'Arnaud after starting catcher John Buck went on paternity leave. Now, Rosenthal writes, the Mets plan to keep d'Arnaud on their roster and give him "significant playing time."

Edited by nmigliore, 19 August 2013 - 06:55 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1325 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:13 AM

Too bad...these inning-limits can really gum up the works...like I said, this seems like the best time to give deGrom a look...his next start should really be with the big club, especially if he's due to get shut down, but I get the feeling that's not happening. 

That's great news about d'Arnaud...unless he looks flat-out overmatched, I think he's got to be out there for 5 out of every six or seven games.  The more ABs he gets, the better. 

That being said, I sincerely give thanks to John Buck.  Yes, he was invisible at the plate for long periods of time, which made it impossible to really depend on him to come through when needed, but he had his moments, and at least had some eye-friendly numbers in the power department.  He was here to bridge a gap, and he did it.  If he's willing to be a backup, he seems like a good guy to have around, and to help mentor d'Arnaud, but I'm guessing the Mets will look for someone younger and primarily defense-oriented. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 19 August 2013 - 07:15 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1326 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

Harvey's monthly ERA is slowly rising:

April:  1.56

May:  2.15

June:  2.31

July:  2.57

August:  3.04

His BB per nine has been insanely good since the start of May...it was 2.68 for April, 1.30 for May thru August (9.66 K per nine in that May-August stretch).  Better than 7-to-1.  Hard to do much better than that.

What's kind of a shame is that we are probably watching what will be Harvey's best season, from a pure performance standpoint.  I'm not saying he can't be a terrific pitcher for the Mets in the years to come, but I think this season will be his best and most dominant overall.  I think July and August will be more representative of the pitcher he will be going forward, at least in the near future:

54.2 IP, 46 H, 17 ER, 7 BB, 55 K, 2.80 ERA

The above is terrific...a lot of teams would kill to have a guy who can pitch like that at the top of their rotation.  And if the Mets actually hit for him, that performance extrapolated over a full season will be plenty fine...that is clearly still ace territory.  None of this post is intended to knock Harvey in any way, but I think anyone expecting a full season of near 2.00-type ERAs going forward is probably asking too much, and it's also unfair to expect Harvey to forever hold teams to two runs or less for him to have any chance to win games (and THAT far often hasn't gotten the job done for him). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 19 August 2013 - 09:45 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1327 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

None of this post is intended to knock Harvey in any way, but I think anyone expecting a full season of near 2.00-type ERAs going forward is probably asking too much, and it's also unfair to expect Harvey to forever hold teams to two runs or less for him to have any chance to win games (and THAT far often hasn't gotten the job done for him). 

It absolutely is, just as it is unrealistic for just about every pitcher in baseball. Over the past 20 years, the following starters have had more than 1 season with an ERA of 2.30 or under (min. 150 IP per season): Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez, Clayton Kershaw, and Greg Maddux. That's it. 3 No-Doubt Hall of Famers and the game's current best pitcher who is on an easy Hall of Fame pace.

Edited by nmigliore, 19 August 2013 - 12:36 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1328 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

I know that nmig, but you know how some fans can get.  They see a 24-year-old who's been dominant for most of the season and think that somehow the guy is only going to get better, or will at the very least, somehow maintain.  This won't happen with Harvey.  Like I've said, we've very likely already seen his best.  If he can keep up his July-August numbers (or slightly worse than that) for a number of seasons, we should all be thrilled, as that is ace-level performance, but some will say things like "Why isn't he striking out as many guys?" or "How come he's allowing more hits or why is he giving up more runs?", etc.  You are too young to remember, but this is what Dwight Gooden went through after '84 and '85...obviously, there was a LOT more going on behind the scenes and it's only really come out in detail what a mess Doc really was in his memoir, but in the six years after '85, he went a solid 91-40, with a 3.28 ERA in that time.  He won 17+ games three times.  Even his last two full seasons as a Met, despite him having 10-13 and 12-15 records, really weren't that bad:  he had ERAs of 3.67 and 3.45...not great for '92 and '93, but far from awful.  He had a 3.05 ERA as a Met from '84-'93.  But for Dwight, it was '85-'85-'85, and that's all anyone wanted to talk about...he was always compared to that version of himself, even when he was still clearly an effective pitcher and still one of the very good ones.  After '84-'85, he could never give up few enough hits or strike out enough guys...it was like no one could handle him being good-to-very good...he needed to be dominant, all of the time. 

I just hope that fans can accept that Harvey can still be plenty terrific, even with ERAs approaching 3.00 and less Ks and more hits allowed (I know there are better numbers than these to measure performance, but a lot of fans still aren't saber-nerds, and many of them never will be), and that they won't continually say "Yeah, Harvey's been good, but in 2013..."

It's just so damned hard to be dominant year after year, especially as a pitcher.             

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 19 August 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1329 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

Wow, a lot of slumbering bats are waking up in Minnesota.  Both EY and Murph are 2-for-3 today with an RBI each.  10 hits through four innings.

A 5-6 trip is very much within reach. 

d'Arnaud is 0-for-5 with 5 BB so far.  .500 OB% without a hit.  Don't see that often, even in 10 plate appearances.

Make that 0-for-6...just struck out for the first time in his MLB career.  Hopefully he doesn't get impatient and start trying to make that first hit happen.  It will on its own.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 19 August 2013 - 02:44 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1330 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

d'Arnaud now 0-for-7, second straight K.  Not watching this...is he starting to swing at pitches outside the strike zone? 

Mediocre Murph costs Gee his shutout, but Gee still hasn't given up an ER.  Only 85 pitches through 7 IP.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 19 August 2013 - 03:32 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1331 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

Gee's numbers since May 30 (15 starts):  103 IP, 90 H, 26 ER, 10 HR, 22 BB, 77 K, 2.27 ERA, 6-2 record.  ERA on the season now down to 3.60.  Guy has had an amazing comeback within the season...he had a 6.34 ERA through his first 10 starts. 

Byrd ties a career-high with his 20th home run.  Has a shot at a career high in RBI too, if he gets really hot (he needs 22 more), and EY and Murph can start getting on base for a change.  Hard to believe the Mets got as much out of him as they have.   

3 Ks for Ike today.  Maybe the shock of hitting over .200 has become too much for him. 

Since the Mets were 17-29:  40-37

Since the Mets were 25-40:  32-26

Hard to believe the Mets are coming up on a half-season of over .500 ball. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 19 August 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1332 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,146 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

Idiot Terry really pushing Wheeler again. Should've really pulled him after the walk after the Janish hit.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#1333 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,146 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

Nice job Terry you fvcking idiot.

would be a miracle if we win this game now

Edited by '7', 20 August 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#1334 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:26 PM

'7', you really have to stop being so quick to bail on these guys. 

That being said, Terry is SUCH a fvcking AMATEUR.  How many times has he stuck with his young starters too long and seen it blow up in his face?  You'd think all that time no one wanted to hire him, he'd have learned something.  Not to mention Harvey and Wheeler are on innings limits. 

In fairness, Wheeler had has his share of relievers stranding his runners...it was bound to go the other way eventually. 

#30 FOREVER!

#1335 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

Poor d'Arnaud...0 for 10 with 4 Ks.  Welcome to the majors kid.  Hope he gets that first hit soon.

And congrats to Byrd on setting a new career-high in HR...for better or for worse, I think he's become a lock to come back next season. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 20 August 2013 - 08:35 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

#1336 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,146 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

eh, I've just seen so many games against Atlanta follow this pattern.

I know everybody likes to use this old school "finish what you started kid" mantra. But most pitchers run out of gas at around 100-105. So I don't necessarily believe in testing his mettle there. If he looks worn out, replace him before the bases are loaded

d'Arnaud will get it together, I'm surprised at how long his swing is though.

Real bad AB by Young Jr. there. Downs threw ball one, didn't throw another one in the zone the rest of the way, and Young swung and missed at 3 nowhere close.

Edited by '7', 20 August 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#1337 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

EY is what he is.  Magic wore off some time ago.  Unfortunately I think Sandy likes him enough to bring him back. 

Holy crap, Mediocre Murph actually drew a walk!

I think each pitcher is different, but Wheeler's pitch counts have been way up there lately...he had thrown 322 pitches in the three starts before this one, and Terry has him throw 114 more tonight.  I know Zack got the first two batters out to start the 7th, but I think Terry has to pay attention to workloads, and let his starters leave a game with a chance to have a confidence-building stat line.  I would've taken Wheeler out after the double, and most definitely out after walk #1.  Terry is just maddening sometimes...just seems to have no regard for his young arms.

#30 FOREVER!

#1338 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,146 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

Byrd would be the perfect #4 outfielder for us next year. But if he keeps hitting like this, he'll price himself out of the Mets and land in somebody's top 3.

#1339 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:04 PM

I'll say this for Ike...guys hits 'em a long way when he does hit them out.  Get the feeling we'll be wondering how much longer before he gets sent down next season, when he's hitting .160 in June.

#30 FOREVER!

#1340 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

Byrd is probably going to be looking for a Ryan Ludwick-type of deal (he got 2/15 this offseason after having a resurrection season). Maybe he doesn't get 2 guaranteed years due to his age, but I could definitely see a team give him 1/8ish (or more) plus an option. Yeah he's old and this looks like a huge outlier, but he's going to finish the year as a 4-win player. Somebody is going give him a starting gig. No chance he accepts a 4th outfield role; worst case is someone signs him for just 1 year. 

Edited by nmigliore, 20 August 2013 - 09:09 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users